Spartan Camp #238 - 50 gestures + Optional "Figure Tonal Study"

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 667 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 30th of September.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Figure Tonal Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

The Background:

Now that these forums are regaining function and activity, it's time to continue the Spartan Camp! We will commence with a basic, all-round optional study to get started.

The Exercise:

Tone is a degree of lightness or darkness of a surface. The term "value" is often used as well and means the same. A tonal study is essentially a greyscale study, focusing on the form and shape of the subject being studied. The tone of an area depends on several things ranging from the light, shadows and reflections to the properties of the actual material such as its reflectivity. Doing tonal studies helps you to recognize, understand and depict depth and three-dimentional forms. It is therefore a fundamental study that is often done, for instance through cast drawings or charcoal figure studies. Feel free to use any medium though, but make sure the subject is a figure.

Reference:
    If you want, you can turn an image to greyscale for convenient studying. I'll provice background information rather than pointing out galleries with figures (nudes are not hard to find on the internet...). Below are several links explaining tonal studies and fundamentals in general to get you going.

Link1: CA.org wiki on values/tone.
    Link2: More info on value and tone.
    Link3: Bit more, mostly on light.
    Link4: PrometheusANJ' excellent tutorial on drawing/painting basics (especially relevant sections are on lighting and materials)
    Examples of a cast drawing and a tonal figure study.
    Link5: Example progress of a figure tonal study.

Upcoming optional studies (subject to change)

Folds study
    Clothed figure study

As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #237

MeteorCat
    Obstfelder
    ElizaWy
    SmallPoly

Last edited by Anthis; September 23rd, 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added missing links

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff for starters,

30sec and 60sec posemaniacs, then some reffed from characterdesigns.com

edit: some imagination figures too.

Name:  Sp238_1.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  124.6 KBName:  sp238_2.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  122.0 KB
    Name:  sp238_3.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  121.8 KBName:  sp238_4.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  111.9 KBName:  sp238_5.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  151.4 KBName:  sp238_6.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:  sp238_7.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  211.7 KBName:  sp238_8.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  204.6 KBName:  sp238_9.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  260.9 KB

Last edited by Anthis; September 24th, 2012 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's high time for me to make a comeback! I forgot to send my post containing goats in the last topic yesterday... I show them now and I will bring some new stuff very soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Always an inspiration Anthis. I still have a ways to go to get at your level. I stopped doing these spartan camps for a while, but I am back, hopefully to stay this time!

PS: Love the sad face on the but

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Studytime! Crunching down on Loomis and Figure Drawing
    My creative blog
    Figure Studies & Life drawing yay!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day two, hitting the sketchboards again. Did some more drawings from posemaniacs (30 seconds) after seeing this cool video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmiwG...&feature=share
    It talks about the approach to gesture drawings, I will have to look at it again because my drawings sucked
    I did a quick 10 tonal study afterwards.

Unfortunately I only looked at the references given for study afterwards, there's some great tips there! Defo need to work on using a bigger brush for my tonal study.

Last edited by Hamorhage; September 25th, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
    My creative blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CRAP STUDIES, AWAAAAY! Can you tell I havent done gestures in eons? Oy vey.

Progress: 27/50
    1-15: Armarures 30 sec.
    16-27: body mass/outline 30 sec.

lessons learned: body mass gestures with such small time to draw is best done in teeny-weeny sizes

Name:  50poses-sept26-2012.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  265.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice going guys!

shiNIN; Convincing goats. I'm noticing the same approach being used, with an early sketch that is then put to lower opacity. Those gestures are especially strong in proportions because they allow you to correct. You also seem to have a couple where you simply did them in one go, where there's no layer below. They appear more natural, and also more relaxed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just struck me ;P

Hamorhage; Hoping to revive this activity with a new description and banners, lets see if we can get more people to participate . Nice work on those 30secs. As we can see, we have different approaches, though I don't think either approach is necessarily 'better'. For one, yours are more structural. I like the value study. Tough pose but looks good. If you squint your eyes you'll notice some areas (like the butt) may be too dark. Could be the ref, of course.

Drygrass; Just wondering about the armatures; is that the approach (bit like Loomis) or are you using an actual armatureor program for reference? Either way- looking nice, don't hesitate to overlap figures if need be. It can be tempting to shrink some proportions to make figures 'fit in'. As for drawing in small size in general: not sure about that. Small-scale 30sec gestures often result in very basic figures for me. On the other hand, large figures are much less limiting as they allow you to make smaller distinctions and nuances while drawing big shapes. More freedom. May be personal preference!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spot on Anthis, that dark butt partly was because there was a cast shadow of a rope, but I didn't lighten up the butt because time ran out

Todays' greyscale is kinda sucky,last time I first drew a dark silhouette and then started going over with a lighter grey to bring it out. This time I tried to take town greys and tones from the get go but as a result I lost shape. Too much brushwork aswell. These are good exercises!

My creative blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Todays' tonal. I tried to just block in with a solid thick brush. Afterwards I couldn't resist and used a softer brush. Must practice more!

My creative blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

12. The Following User Says Thank You to surus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing refs!

THANKS 1000000 TIMES
    Quote Originally Posted by surus View Post

Here's my daily tonal quickstudy (from the refs provided)

Last edited by Hamorhage; September 29th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
    My creative blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How come I am the only one posting in here What's happening soldiers!? Really enjoying these tonal studies, I think I'll keep that as a part of my daily rythm.
    Anybody who has any suggestions, please do! I am just doing what seems natural to me, but maybe I am doing it wrong

My creative blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    surus: great reference! thanks.
    Hamorhage: Not sure about the lack of activity. Things are slow all over these forums though. I suppose the downtime doesn't do a community much good. CA is a good place though, I believe it will get crowded again.
    You're doing good on these. Oddly enough, the balance is especially strong. One thing you may consider is looking into the manner of value shifts. Like having a gradual shift along round shapes and steeper transitions when planes turn more abrubtly. Or take your last figure for instance. Viewed by us, the light source is on the right, with the left leg catching a strong cast shadow from the right leg. With a definite value shift as a result. The legs themselves are rounded and catch gradually less light as the form turns (with a "form shadow" as a result). You'd expect a more or less gradual shift there. In your figure, it looks more like there's a ridge running over the right leg. The transition in value suggests a big form turn. Of course, I haven't seen the reference and form shadows can be strong too. Just to illustrate the point. Let me know what you think, I'm also trying to figure this out as I go along, Pretty subtle work in post #9.

Also guys; you can change the numbers in the links surus provided. So you can access volumes 1 through 4 as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fifty sketches, at two minutes each (except for a few by the bottom). Phew!

Name:  spartan_camp__2012_09_30.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  491.7 KB

My CA.org Sketchbook - Homework assignments accepted!
    My Books - an epic fantasy series. Contains immortality, magic, violence, romance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And if you look to this post you see a fine example of what happens when you slack off for a couple of weeks.
    Sorry about posting it past the deadline but the net is bad at my home so I had to wait to get to work to post it.
    Digital stuff time varied from 30secs to 10mins. Stuff from my sketchbook was untimed. Shame I didn't do any tonal stuff, will make up for it next week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Anthis, those are some awesome suggestions. I'll be more aware of transitions bases on underlying anatomy. I guess these first few I am trying to find a groove in how to approach these, once that becomes a habbit it will be easier to focus on depicting it more accurately.
    PS: Anthis, do you have a blog or a gallery with your work? I am curious to see your work.
    Eliza: I like these, you seem to have a confident way of drawing. Your female figures look better though then your males.
    Animare: I know what you're daying about the slacking off, these kind of studies need to be part of a daily rythm. It's really hard sometimes to keep that up after a while. You did do 2 tonals though, the lighting is done well even though they are very quick. You need skill to simplify it down like that.

Last edited by Hamorhage; October 1st, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
    My creative blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ElizaWy; Great sketches! Your approach seems very similar to mine. I believe your figures are noticeably better when you've drawn the feet and the poses are consciously grounded. For instance, 10 (number missing, its the standing woman), the disc thrower (27 I think), 37 and 45 lack the strong feet of your other poses, resulting in gestures of less solidity. At least, that's my impression

Animare; Ah, stuff like that happens. Nice approach, with varying degrees of construction. Works pretty well with the foreshortening. The ones from your sketchbook are interesting too, are they from life? The construction appears to be working less well here as you're losing some of the proportions. When drawing from observation, it can be liberating to draw freely, just observing the forms and reproducing them. For instance, the portrait without construction is stronger than the ones with.

Hamorhage; Yea I think it's incredibly tough. Value and its transitions can tell you what the form is like directly. A slight change can actually mean a great deal. Gotta do this more often as well.
    As for me- I don't have a gallery or blog at the moment, just my CA sketchbook. Would like to, though. Currently I'm working hard on getting a portfolio together so that I can try freelancing. No experience on that, so I have little idea where to start .

Either way, new round is up! I'll be further editing it tomorrow, adding refs and such.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everybody!

@Anthis: this is a wonderful thread, very useful thanks for managing it!

Here are my figure studies: 30 sec each from posemaniacs, not so much tonal i admit...

an other cool site for this kind of things you maybe already know about is http://lovecastle.org/draw/ very useful!

Name:  cap_1_small.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  258.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw man. I guess I'm too late to join. =/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CountBlackula and Andrea Tarroni; A new round starts every week, this is an old one. Sometimes an old round is at the 'top of the page' because spammers tend to visit these threads. Just check the numbers, we're currently on round #242!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.