Art: Concept art for faux game
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Concept art for faux game

As the title of this thread says, I'm doing some concept art for a non-existing game project. This is just my way to try out new methods and improve myself.

The "game" is based upon a comic of mine named Curly that revolves around a cursed conman that gets into a heap of supernatural trouble all the time. I'm soon finished inking the first story so in a couple of weeks (maybe more) I maybe can share some of the sketches and stuff.

As for the setting of the fake game, my idea revolves around a classic haunted house, which the player gets to explore for clues and so forth to find out what happened there. No really story, just a concept to get my imagination going

Name:  HauntedHouse.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  436.9 KB

This first pic is the exterior of the haunted house. Classic setting. It got a little cartoony. Just tried a lot of new stuff that I still don't grasp yet.

Name:  PianoRoom.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  220.5 KB

This second one is an interior from an upstaris piano room. Just played around with the composition and the lightning alot.

Name:  HauntedCellar.jpg
Views: 2023
Size:  361.7 KB

And the third one is the interior of a part of the basement. Got an idea that someone been using it as an office of something, thus the typewriter and books.

I'm fairly new to this way to work and the style as I usually work with a more comicbook style of art. Some constructive crisism would be helpfull! Keep in mind that this is a fake game project, but still based upon my comic! =)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mmm...this reminds me of "Anna" an "horror" adventure game by an Italian recently born software house

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really, is that good or bad? You have a link or something? Got a little curios about the game =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good, though you could add some elements to the exterior of the house to make it look scarier and older.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! Okay, got any ideas? I'll revisit the pic and try to make it a little more frightening =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Hotrod Alley.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  342.8 KB

The newest part for my "game" This is the main characters Hotrod. I used a stockphoto as reference as I just can't draw cars! The idea of this vehicle is that Curly uses an amulet on an ordinary car, which is then transformed into a demonic hotrod and will stay that way until it burnt out the vehicle and leaves behind a wreckage. I put the car in an alley just to get a noir feeling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Improvised Altar Room.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  174.0 KB

I've allready done a pic from the cellar and from the second floor, so I thought I just do another room upstairs. This would be an important room, hard to get in at first before solving some puzzles. The creepy book on the improvised altar is an old druid tome for alchemy. Some signs here and there hidden in the room tease about whomever lived here before. The book would then help solving more puzzles and awaken some evil spirits in a kinda evil dead fashion or something, causing more trouble for poor old Curly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The very first picture from my upcoming comic Curly, made over a year ago and the first time I made a drawing on any of the characters based on loose ideas.
    Just a simple sketch that I decided to give some colour and share. I will soon make some character concepts more in line how the main characters would look if they would appear the faux game =)
    Name:  Curly First LowQual.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  460.0 KB

Last edited by LarsLasse; December 9th, 2012 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inspired by The Goon? Your character without whites in his eyes (at least that's what it looks like there) definitely reminds me of Franky. Plus the 1920s/'30s style.. and the zombies. Perhaps a little too close?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually it's set in the 1990's and the black eyes where inspired by some of Floyd Gottfredsons works and other old cartoon styles. Storywise it has more in common with the X-Files and Supernatural. The zombies are from just one story as I go trough different kinds of monsters and folklore. I can see how he might remind you of Franky, but I think the character stands on his own when reading the comic without coming to close to Master Powells fantastic art style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You say that you are doing this to learn new methods and improving yourself. But it seems to me that you wont learn much by cutting corners by making photo collages masked with filters. If you made sketches instead you would have to make all the decisions for yourself and learn more by the process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Photocollage? I only used reference pictures so I knew how things looked like. The only picture I used a ground picture to work on was the car, as I didn't focus to make a body but rather making a bumper/grill and a demonhead. Then I worked with the background and tried to make simple graffiti. So the car was a stockphoto which I worked on.
    The other pictures I have sketched and worked with in photoshop (some after tutorials to learn new methods) and some free textures. No corners cut, but hours in photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A more cartoony picture of Curly as he looks in the comic. Tested some new ways to colour him and played around with some functions in photoshop.
    No more faux game art for now as I'm working on the house in 3D and working more with pencils than colour for the moment.

Note - They're not photo collages as some seem to believe, except for the car.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LarsLasse; February 4th, 2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Re-Sized the picture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsLasse View Post
    Photocollage? I only used reference pictures so I knew how things looked like. The only picture I used a ground picture to work on was the car, as I didn't focus to make a body but rather making a bumper/grill and a demonhead. Then I worked with the background and tried to make simple graffiti. So the car was a stockphoto which I worked on.
    The other pictures I have sketched and worked with in photoshop (some after tutorials to learn new methods) and some free textures. No corners cut, but hours in photoshop.
    Oh come on! I can even see what filters you have been using. You might have been spending hours on it in Photoshop indeed, but your time would have been better invested in learning how to paint without the aid of filters and textures. These are quick fixes that will get you nowhere in the long run.

By all means dabble in photoshop all you like, but if you have a genuine intererest in actually improving you have to work on your basics. Set up a sketchbook and make sure to study light form and value, from life with a pencil and paper. There are a ton of tips and resourses on this site so go and get cracking.

Members who have read this thread: 1