Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls

So it's another fall, and it's time for us hopefuls to start looking up information and beginning to try to network.

If you don't know about Ringling College of Art and Design, here's a link to it's site: http://www.ringling.edu/

I've been floating on these hopeful threads for about three years now, and last year I got into the college, but not into the GAD program, as it was unprecedentedly full. I never got off of the waiting list

I could have entered into any program besides CA or GAD, but I was advised if it wasn't my passion, not to risk it. but I digress.

But now is a new year, and another chance to get in!

As time progresses I'll update with new information, deadlines, etc. I look forward to hearing from all you guys, I'm hoping this is my year!

Last year's hopefuls who got in are now about a month in, (congrats guys! can't wait to meet you!) and I'm sure they can help us out if they get the free time!
    Here's their post in case you want to read up:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...-2012-Hopefuls

Some dates:

October 13, 2012
    Fall Open House for Prospective Students

January 1, 2013
    Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) goes live for 2013-2014 academic year.

January 15, 2013
    Application Deadline for Computer Animation major.

[bear in mind: January is right around the corner; don't procrastinate like I did last year! I'd advise apply as a GAD in January as well. I waited until march, and that lead to the waiting list.]

Last edited by themegagod; September 22nd, 2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Title change
    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

let it be so...

hey man i joined up and wrote something lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome raver, I think I know who you are; but in any case, nice to have you on this journey with me - and hopefully soon many other hopefuls. You should attach a link with some of your work. As time goes on, you'll get a lot of support and criticisms that really help. At least that's been my experience.
    [if you don't have a deviant art or the like, this website dose provide a sketchbook section where you can post up your work and attach it as a link, as I have done. Speaking of which I should update that]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was wondering when this thread was gonna start up I almost started it up myself, hahaha~ hello I got into Ringling last year, but not CA (which is my first and only choice), so I'm trying again this year :Y

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    I got into Ringling last year, but not CA (which is my first and only choice), so I'm trying again this year :Y
    Nice to know I'm not the only 2nd plus attempter!

I have the same story, but based around GAD instead of CA. Do you have a portfolio/ sketchbook of what you applied with last year?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahaha, woo! I remember you from the thread from last year (I lurked mostly). Unfortunately, I discovered ConceptArt after the deadline so all the advice everyone gave with regards to what should be in your portfolio I was not able to use :/ Uhh, I'll post what I submitted last year when I get back on my computer, since I'm currently on a different one and don't have access to the photos P:

question: have you emailed admissions about trying again? When I emailed about sending a new portfolio they told me there was no deadline for us but....I found that a little shady and I'm just gonna stick to the Jan 15 deadline. Do you know anything about that?

Last edited by anomalexie; September 23rd, 2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: a question came to mind :P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems that most portfolio pieces should be made of life drawings and for animation it should focus on people. that's what I've learned so far. At a portfolio day, they told me to make it creative, so I don't get bored, but to base it towards realism (not cartoon, impressionism, abstract, etc.)

Around the start of summer when I was on the waiting list I called the admissions department and counselors roughly every week. When they told me that GAD (what I want to get into) wouldn't be opening any more seats, they offered the other options, and then when I said all I want is GAD, they seemed to say I'd have to re-apply this fall, and go through the whole hope to get in again: that no seat was guaranteed because I got in this year.. last year... you know what I mean. so it seems we might need to make a new portfolio (updated at least), roughly the same application, but do it all over again... I'm pretty sure following the same deadlines.

at least that's how I understand it.

I'm using the January 15th deadline as well. From what I've understood, CA always have to use the January 15th deadline- and initially GAD had to as well. Then last year, it seemed to say GADs like all other programs could apply when ever... I didn't apply till march, wound up on the waiting list, and didn't get in. I'm not trying to do that again!

But I'd say call them up;
    start talking to some of the reps/ counselors, who ever it is that you should talk to (IDK), and get the answers directly. I might be doing the same tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah a lot of figure drawings is what I basically got out of it. That about half should be figure and gesture drawings and then everything just has to be based towards realism and life as you said. I have the figure drawing half covered, I'm working on life drawings right now but everything's in the same medium and I feel like I should have more variety :Y
    Whenever I tried to call admissions the line was always busy (then again this was right after I received the 'so you should pick a different major' letter) XD So I gave up after a week and decided to find my own answers online. Yeah I'm starting a whole new portfolio from scratch, why use old ones that they've already seen, right? Yeah! Always try to do it as early as possible so that they consider you ahead of time.
    I emailed Kristen Nemeth (I forget), and she was like just send me an email with your name, current school and the program you want to re-apply for and an updated portfolio! So I sent everything but the portfolio because I want to wait til January to pick out my best pieces to send.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I was waiting this topic, and it's finally up! I'm gonna apply this year to CA, not sure if i'm gonna attend if i get in, since i'm at college right now (One year more and i get the degree, but i don't find interest on it anymore). But well however goodluck to everyone Yayyy

Last edited by Rebooking; September 23rd, 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebooking View Post
    since i'm at college right now (One year more and i get the degree, but i don't find interest on it anymore). But well however goodluck to everyone Yayyy
    what degree are you working towards now?
    and if you do get in will you apply as a transfer, or freshman (i'm not so sure how that whole system works)?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can't transfer into CA anymore according to the rep I emailed. You can only get rid of liberal arts classes that you can later replace with electives and free up your time to work on your thesis. You can transfer in to other majors I think though. So I'll be a freshman for a second year

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm studying Multimedia Engineering (it's like PC and Mobile app related) and no, definitelyi'm not looking to transfer, i already called them and asked them in the case i get accepted but i cannot attend the next year if i would be able to enter a year later, and they told me yes, they would hold the room. And as anomalexie my first and only option is CA !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can't transfer into CA anymore according to the rep I emailed. You can only get rid of liberal arts classes that you can later replace with electives and free up your time to work on your thesis. You can transfer in to other majors I think though. So I'll be a freshman for a second year
    I think that's how all of the programs of study work. I just wasn't sure. It has to do with their flat rate semester fee, from what I understand; all you can do is free up time. That's why I kind of stopped going to community college like I was. Figured rather than working towards a degree it made more sense to just work out some part time liberal arts courses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rebooking sounds really interesting, why the change of heart on that major?
    that's good about the holding of the seat though.
    anyone trying to go to the open house?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah that's really good o: Nahh, I don't really see the point in going, I went on a tour last summer and I pretty much have my heart set on Ringling anyways XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it wasn't what i was expecting, the degree is pretty new here so they have really big mistakes on building the curriculum and teachers don't teach us because they like it, it's more like if they were doing this because they really have to, a few days ago one of them told us 'hey don't expect too much from this class, i can't teach you very well because you are gonna be my competence in the future', so that kind of things are really thoughtful.

I'd like to go to Open house but well i don't live on the US, anyways i'm taking a campus tour on December!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it wasn't what i was expecting, the degree is pretty new here so they have really big mistakes on building the curriculum and teachers don't teach us because they like it, it's more like if they were doing this because they really have to, a few days ago one of them told us 'hey don't expect too much from this class, i can't teach you very well because you are gonna be my competence in the future', so that kind of things are really thoughtful.

I'd like to go to Open house but well i don't live on the US, anyways i'm taking a campus tour on December!
    That's kind of scary, the Game Art and Design Program is new too! lol, But i've only heard good things about it. I recently moved to Tampa, so I might make it to the open house; where are you coming from, if you don't mind my asking?

@anomalexie: How was tour? was it that pre-college thing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But well i heard GA program is pretty good even if it's new. At the moment i live in Colombia, but i got some friends on Orlando, FL so i'm gonna visit them for Christmas, so thinking on going to a tour yayyyy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was pretty great, I really loved the whole feel for the city and the college. Dorms are pretty nice and the classrooms looked pretty good with computers everywhere and such. My tour guides were pretty great and described most of the people on campus as "giant twelve year olds" and that they seem to have a lot of fun going there. It wasn't precollege it was just a tour of the school and stuff. I was with my mom so we got to look around the city and stuff and it looks really nice, if you ignore the bad areas around the college

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've gotta draw like the dickens before the fairies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At the moment i live in Colombia, but i got some friends on Orlando, FL so i'm gonna visit them for Christmas, so thinking on going to a tour yayyyy.
    I have a high school friend who moved to colombia after graduation. It seems like a beautiful place.
    If you're going to visit Orlando, you should definitely make a stop at Disney world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was pretty great, I really loved the whole feel for the city and the college. Dorms are pretty nice and the classrooms looked pretty good with computers everywhere and such. My tour guides were pretty great and described most of the people on campus as "giant twelve year olds" and that they seem to have a lot of fun going there. It wasn't precollege it was just a tour of the school and stuff. I was with my mom so we got to look around the city and stuff and it looks really nice, if you ignore the bad areas around the college
    Sounds like a lot of fun! LOL A bunch of twelve year olds! good thing I refuse to grow up; people don't believe I'm 21. I've always thought it was ADHD, maybe I am just meant to be an artist.
    I wouldn't be worried about the bad neighborhood. It seems like all colleges are built on bad neighborhoods. I guess it has to do with cheap property values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    I have a high school friend who moved to colombia after graduation. It seems like a beautiful place.
    If you're going to visit Orlando, you should definitely make a stop at Disney world.

hahaha world is pretty small then, i'm actually going to Disney world!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Probably :Y DISNEY WORLD IS GREAT D i went over the summer with my friends and it was so much fun I feel like once I move to Sarasota I'll end up investing in that annual pass hahaha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just moved to Tampa a month ago: I wanted to be closer to the school, and also be well on my way to being a florida resident by the time school starts (knocks a good sum off the credit hour price from what I understand). Disney is great, but I think you'll get a lot more use out of an annual pass to Tampa Bush gardens. It's only about an hour away; where as Orlando is a good distance away, maybe two three hours. But it never hurts to make a trip now and again to Disney... It'll be... artistic research... lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Christop55her View Post
    I've gotta draw like the dickens before the fairies

LOL, I'm assuming you like that? I must admit, I'm a bit of a random goof. I have no Idea what I was thinking when I made that signature, but It makes me smile.

I didn't even notice your post! so you are a hopeful as well?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a Florida resident already, I just gotta find a place to live near Ringling that isn't too shabby or expensive ;x Isn't Tampa far from Sarasota? How long is your commute gonna be? D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a Florida resident already, I just gotta find a place to live near Ringling that isn't too shabby or expensive ;x Isn't Tampa far from Sarasota? How long is your commute gonna be? D:
    I think it's like 40 minutes - 1 hour maybe? Not sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's like 40 minutes - 1 hour maybe? Not sure.
    Dang, that's worse than my current commute.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not planning on commuting from Tampa. I figure I'll rent off campus housing. Even if it is in a bad neighborhood. Tampa was easiest since I have family in north tampa, the Westley chapel area.

and it's about an hour drive. It's not too bad of a commute compared to some others.
    In south Jersey (atlantic city) I knew people that rode the train to philly daily to go to school and work, and that was about an hour and a half.

If you are so close to Sarasota, why wait till college to get the annual pass? lol

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26