Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrews View Post
    ...So for now, the waiting game.
    This is the good part. you can almost relax. it's when they start sending the acceptance letters that the hard part of the waiting game comes in.

I do not envy anyone who is involved in the game right now.

Quote Originally Posted by aimforaimee View Post
    Just submitted my portfolio for CA...what a weird feeling! I only managed to put in 10 pieces I thought were good enough, so I'm kind of nervous that it's not enough. Then again I'm just nervous about the whole thing! Anyone know how long it takes to get an accepted/rejected letter? I had a feeling it might be a different time frame than the other majors.
    Pretty sure you should be hearing back about acceptance come early spring for CA. Roughly march april. Other majors seem to hear back about two weeks or so after they apply. But I am just going off of what I've seen in the past. I'm not sure.
    And as far as the number of pieces, as long as you meet the minimum, and as long as the pieces are good, it shouldn't matter. in fact it helps. to quote an earlier quote from I think this thread "You are only as strong as your weakest piece."

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anomalexie: Wow your portfolio is great! You almost scared me lol. I hope to see you on August if we are accepted. *fingers crossed*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anomalexie, I love your work! The figure/life studies look great and I really like your style on your more personal pieces. You've officially gained a new tumblr follower lol

I definitely wish I spent more time on my portfolio and some of my best pieces I left at school But, I knew I wouldn't have time to get anything done after New Years, so I off the cuff submitted mine haha. If I get into CA no one would be more surprised than me, but I just hope I'm good enough for the school!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They send out acceptance letters for CA in the first week of March, depending on how close you live to Sarasota, determines how quickly you get the letter. I remember counting down after reading that someone had called admissions on Feb 28 and announcing that they had already finalized the decisions and would be mailing out the letters the next day. As i sadly learned, rejections come in letters, acceptances come in packages.

@ilovesketchbook: aww thanks you :> hahaha I'M SORRY XD I DIDNT MEAN TO SCARE YOU! yesss in august! ^-^

@escaphilia: thank you very much! LOL i don't update it much but hopefully i can put some more stuff up from what i've seen (because i've also creeped on you on tumblr haha sorry), you have pretty great technical skills, especially on your digital stuff, so i think you have a pretty good shot at getting in

@ steampoweredseagoat: I really like your gestures, they really capture the essence of the motion of the model I think for two years, you're doing a lot better than most people. It's very important to start off learning with the fundamentals ie figure drawing, etc. You understand things a lot better than spending 12 years getting to this point P Can't wait to see the rest!

Last edited by anomalexie; January 15th, 2013 at 05:31 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well after freaking out and nearly missing the deadline I got my application for computer animation in. I'm kind of worried that I don't have enough full figures in my portfolio, but I did what I could.

http://mattlietz.carbonmade.com/projects/4633022#1

Let me know what you guys think, please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finally finished my portfolio! I wish I had more finished pieces, but I ran out of time. Here's mine: http://mkmcm10.tumblr.com/

Good luck to everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ tennis: Personally, I really liked your still lives and your last self portrait! The skull piece and the glass with the protractor on the rack are my favorites I think as long as you have a few full figures you'll be fine. Is the drapery one a master copy? I could be wrong, but something about it seems familiar.

@ idkwhylimes: I really lovvvee how colorful your portfolio is. However, your portfolio seems very illustration-y and creative and free versus the standard "still life still life figure drawing gesture perspective still life figure drawing personal piece" type of rigid portfolio that some of us, including and especially I, seem to have and I really like that about yours. I know you said you're conflicted between illustration and CA, but you dont have a lot of figure drawings, you have two still lives (also leave out the fanart one it seems anime-ish and Ringling doesn't like that :<) and, unfortunately that's really going to hurt your CA chances, believe me, it happened to me last year (I also had like two still lives and absolutely no figure drawing). I think you should apply anyways to CA, because why the fuck not, maybe you'll still get in, but I think you'll do really well in illustration, you seem to do really well with conceptual and colorful ideas that draw people in. I wish you the best of luck with your art and your future endeavors also really sorry for responding late :C

Last edited by anomalexie; January 15th, 2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: IS EVERYONE ELSE JUST SEEING SOME POSTS BECAUSE I SWEAR HALF THESE POSTS I RESPOND LATE TO WERENT THERE THE DAY BEFORE

10. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I just made an account here to join in on this Ringling conversation.
    I just submitted my CA portfolio yesterday (I know I procrastinated, but I kept having issues when I started my portfolio, just getting really angry at not being able to get what's in my head onto paper), and I feel like I did pretty well. I quadruple-checked everything before I sent it in, and for a while my finger was just hovering above the mouse button!
    But now I'm starting to have doubts. I keep looking back and suddenly thinking of all the things I could have drawn, or done better, and it's stressing me out. And then I went on here and almost made myself sick. Every portfolio I've seen, literally, every one, has looked better than mine. My friend got in for photography, and she helped me on it quite a bit, but I feel like it just isn't good enough for Ringling.
    I'd probably slit my wrists or something if I don't get into that school, but this anxiety is killing me already. I have nine pieces in it, one charcoal, three oil pastels, two graphite, one ink, one digital, and one little Flash animation I did last year. But after submitting everything and seeing so many people with better artwork than mine makes me feel really nervous about getting in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ tennis: I really love your use of color. It's so vibrant.

@ idkwhylimes: I really like the variety of pieces in your portfolio! None of it looks the same, it's very different from a lot of the portfolios I've seen. Also, so I spy yata and fushimi? I think I do. 8U

@ anomexalie: Thank you for the critique I'm glad you like my gestures. Your portfolio is excellent and I love your figure drawings. They're just so real and wonderfully rendered.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, guys. I just applied to Ringling for Computer Animation. I have a 3.5 unweighted (3.8ish weighted) gpa and 2120 SATs.
    I don't really know how to use conceptart but a lot of my portfolio is on my tumblr. http://rununtilyouroar.tumblr.com/
    I really hope I get in! I didn't have enough still lifes.
    Here's to joining the list of hopefuls! Good luck to everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by oreopostale View Post
    I just submitted my CA portfolio yesterday (I know I procrastinated, but I kept having issues when I started my portfolio, just getting really angry at not being able to get what's in my head onto paper), and I feel like I did pretty well. I quadruple-checked everything before I sent it in, and for a while my finger was just hovering above the mouse button!
    But now I'm starting to have doubts. I keep looking back and suddenly thinking of all the things I could have drawn, or done better, and it's stressing me out. And then I went on here and almost made myself sick. Every portfolio I've seen, literally, every one, has looked better than mine. My friend got in for photography, and she helped me on it quite a bit, but I feel like it just isn't good enough for Ringling.
    I'd probably slit my wrists or something if I don't get into that school, but this anxiety is killing me already. I have nine pieces in it, one charcoal, three oil pastels, two graphite, one ink, one digital, and one little Flash animation I did last year. But after submitting everything and seeing so many people with better artwork than mine makes me feel really nervous about getting in.
    WOAH!
    calm down. no wrist slitting, lol.
    Yeah the whole ringling thing is really stressful, so don't worry about freaking out. everyone is. It took me three years to get in, first year I was to nervous to apply, the next I procrastinated way too long to get in, and this year I was finally accepted. so I've done the whole stress out thing three times. lol. Maybe I'm a masochist.
    If your portfolio isn't accepted, there are much worse things that can happen. Bear in mind, most people say "It's easy to get in: it's hard to stay in." If your art isn't yet good enough to get in, there is nothing wrong with taking a gap year to really build up your skills. You'll know what to work on, and you will be able apply using all of your prior information making it a much easier application process (all you have to do is send an email and update your slide room, all of your application materials should be in the school's system already).
    Now with all of this said, everyone is their own worst critic, so maybe when you get the chance, post up some of what you sent in. Everyone thinks they need to do better than they can, and they see all they could have done to make a better portfolio. you are not alone in those feelings, I know I feel them- but sometimes you find people think you are much better than you give yourself credit for.
    So Calm down; the worse case scenario isn't all that bad, and the best case scenario is you are being too harsh on yourself. Remember to breathe, and try to relax. Do some meditations or something, lol. Because the stress doesn't end just because you get in either- You still need to pay for everything, figure out your living arrangements, continue to draw (all the time), finish any schooling you may be in the process of taking, and so on. breathe deep and count to ten- you still have a month or two yet to basically just wait.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anomalexie- Nah, it's not a master copy. It's just a still life that was setup in my school art class. Thank you though.

@steampoweredsteamseagoat- Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey could you people tell me what is the highest scholarship in Ringling for international students. I really would like to apply for the school but many people seem to tell me that it doesn't give that much money (being a new school and all). I really really like the school though, I want something that will challenge to the point where I will not sleep a few days.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to platformerbg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ anomalexie - Thanks! And, haha no worries all my stuff is open for tha creepin' lol

I pretty much second themegagod, it's easy to look at someone else's work and then think of a million reasons why you aren't 'good' enough, but you have to remember art is a process. So, yeah even if you didn't get in (and I'm hoping for the best for everyone) then don't give up! If I don't get into CA then I'm definitely going to migrate into illustration, but if I don't get into the school at all I'm fully prepared to dust off my sad and try again next year.

Here's my portfolio:

http://64deaths.tumblr.com/post/4070...bmitted-for-my

I also added this:

http://64deaths.tumblr.com/image/40497793902

and I think three more pieces that I'm uploading to my main site.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to escaphilia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I've noticed that most people have submitted artwork where they've drawn a dozen little sketches all on one page...Is that necessary? 'Cause I don't have anything like that in my portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ oreopostale: hehe, your username gives me the giggles. But besides my giggles, i second what escaphilia and tmg said: DON'T STRESS IT. it's not the end of the world you could take a year off, get liberal arts classes out of the way at a nearby university and take that year to improve. That's what I did and I think it was for the best. I was really depressed for a few months, but I got a job, took out a lease on a car and I'm really enjoying learning about paying bills, earning paychecks, going to school and being independent, even if I live at home. Sometimes what tears you down is for the best, even if you don't realize it yet. Like my mom told me ITS A BLESSING IN DISGUISE. It's really stressful right now, but remember: you can always try again next year and transfer. You learn from failure and sometimes that's better than succeeding.

@ tennis: I asked because it's really well done and it kind of looked like a Rubens master copy I did for my art class, except mine had feet in it.

@ roar: Hey there! Welcome to the Ringling purgatory, where admissions is God and decides our fates Holy shit your SATs /is blinded by the score. I really like your style for those colored gestures you uploaded from your portfolio o: you have a really interesting style c:

@ platformer: from what I'm aware of, international or not, $10,000 a year is the biggest scholarship. Either $10k or $15k. $10k is given to the best portfolio in each major, known as the Presidential scholarship. And if I'm not wrong, $10-15k can also be awarded, known as the Dreamworks Scholarship. I'm pretty sure it's only $10k though. You can get additional minor scholarships from the Ringling benefactors from about 1-10k a year as well though.

@ escaphlia: I really like your last two gestures that you put up on the first post, the animal one and the human one, they're really interesting! However, I think you should have fleshed out your portfolio a little more, with shading and value. Also the image you added is really good because admissions loves drawings of hands and feet

@JAndrews: Nah, it's not necessary. But you usually draw lots of gestures together because they aren't like "finished" pieces, they're just like sketches. On 18x24s you have a lottt of space for gestures hahaha, The more you have to show admissions regarding your gestures is good.

I like responding to everyone, is that bad? hahaha

23. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, Im Allie, and I have gotten into Ringling for fall 2013! I'm so stoked! I hope to see everyone there!!!
    Is anyone on this page accepted for photography!? I'd like to know some people before I go! Anyways, let me know! Awesome page!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    I like that you like responding to everyone lol

Last edited by WaterVase17; January 16th, 2013 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And another thing! It looks like mostly everyone in here is going into the CA program! Good luck to everyone! I love reading everyone's posts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ oreopostale: hehe, your username gives me the giggles. But besides my giggles, i second what escaphilia and tmg said: DON'T STRESS IT. it's not the end of the world you could take a year off, get liberal arts classes out of the way at a nearby university and take that year to improve. That's what I did and I think it was for the best. I was really depressed for a few months, but I got a job, took out a lease on a car and I'm really enjoying learning about paying bills, earning paychecks, going to school and being independent, even if I live at home. Sometimes what tears you down is for the best, even if you don't realize it yet. Like my mom told me ITS A BLESSING IN DISGUISE. It's really stressful right now, but remember: you can always try again next year and transfer. You learn from failure and sometimes that's better than succeeding.

@ tennis: I asked because it's really well done and it kind of looked like a Rubens master copy I did for my art class, except mine had feet in it.

@ roar: Hey there! Welcome to the Ringling purgatory, where admissions is God and decides our fates Holy shit your SATs /is blinded by the score. I really like your style for those colored gestures you uploaded from your portfolio o: you have a really interesting style c:

@ platformer: from what I'm aware of, international or not, $10,000 a year is the biggest scholarship. Either $10k or $15k. $10k is given to the best portfolio in each major, known as the Presidential scholarship. And if I'm not wrong, $10-15k can also be awarded, known as the Dreamworks Scholarship. I'm pretty sure it's only $10k though. You can get additional minor scholarships from the Ringling benefactors from about 1-10k a year as well though.

@ escaphlia: I really like your last two gestures that you put up on the first post, the animal one and the human one, they're really interesting! However, I think you should have fleshed out your portfolio a little more, with shading and value. Also the image you added is really good because admissions loves drawings of hands and feet

@JAndrews: Nah, it's not necessary. But you usually draw lots of gestures together because they aren't like "finished" pieces, they're just like sketches. On 18x24s you have a lottt of space for gestures hahaha, The more you have to show admissions regarding your gestures is good.

So what you are saying is that even if you have a super awesome portfolio you get around 25k max, I mean can they combine scholarships. Though I guess have no chance at it, I don't have that much of a strong portfolio, at least in the color part. Even if I pump myself to do it I doubt that they would give such a high amount of scholarship money. Just wanted to see though, I liked Ringling's illustration program.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry I was reading earlier posts XD

@ allie: wooo! congrats to you! Uhh, I haven't seen any photography majors as of yet, other than you of course o:

@ watervase: yessss 8D i just hate when people get left out. its an awful feeling xD

29. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anomalexi, thanks a bunch! Are you on ringlings campus? Of so how is it? Do you live on campus? Etc etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anomalexie thanks! I am stoked! Are you on ringling's campus? If so, do you like it? Do you live on campus? Etc etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by oreopostale View Post
    Hey sir! You're going to do fine. Stop stressing. Like I told you before. You're fine. If its meant to be it will happen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry I was reading earlier posts XD

@ allie: wooo! congrats to you! Uhh, I haven't seen any photography majors as of yet, other than you of course o:

@ watervase: yessss 8D i just hate when people get left out. its an awful feeling xD
    Thanks!!! I can't wait! Are you on campus?!??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh! NONE of my posts are showing! Hahah, well is anyone else on here accepted? If so how do you like it? Tips?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my goodness, guys! I'm gone one day and when I come back there's so many portfolios to admire! They're all great, everybody I wish you all the best of luck!

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness.”
    -George R.R. Martin

Portfolio! http://dreamingcosmos.blogspot.com/2...cation-to.html
    Tumblr! (NOT necessarily art related, I warn you.) http://cnyx.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm having the same problem, AllieAmmons...I don't see my post with my portfolio on it. Oh well! Really great work everyone, it's so inspiring to see other people's work. I hope we all see each other next fall (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AllieAmmons View Post
    Ahhh! NONE of my posts are showing! Hahah, well is anyone else on here accepted? If so how do you like it? Tips?
    Well I'm accepted into the GAD program, but I don't start until August. I guess I like being accepted well enough. lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    Well I'm accepted into the GAD program, but I don't start until August. I guess I like being accepted well enough. lol.
    Awesome! So I guess I will be seeing you there! It's so exciting to think we will be going down! I got accepted to the Photography and digital imaging program! Do you have any ideas where you'll be staying? Are you going to acceptance day April 13? I'm very nervous, I live in NC and I'm moving to beautiful Sarasota! But my boyfriend and his family love there! Still nervous though!! Congrats on the acceptance!!!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to AllieAmmons For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26