Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    congratz themegod, i did not know they let you know this early. is this for every major? or they just letting the GAD major?

Also anyone knows this year topic for the statement? you know the application essay?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every other major besides CA is rolling admissions So yes, they do send out this early, just not for CA.

@Watervase: No, I don't. I don't have to fill it out since I'm just re-applying XD

@tmg: Oh GOD, i just saw all the new portfolio examples. THEY ARE SO GOOD. makes me nervous D: i had a classmate in high school who's currently attending ringling, two of his pieces are in that gallery adgsdhcxhshs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @theme so you will start spring 2013 or fall 2013?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUISHYFISHY View Post
    @theme so you will start spring 2013 or fall 2013?
    HEy, squishy; I'll be going in in August, as a freshman, just like everyone else. so I guess that would be the fall?
    Yep, I have eight months to figure out what I'm doing next.
    Let's just hope it's not long enough to get cold feet!

oh and accepted students day seems like it's in April. About four months... wow...
    That means in four months time this thread will be outdated. O.O time flies.
    In five months I'll turn 22...
    Wow, Time really is flying!
    Time to go back to reading about art, lol.
    And I'll try to get those port photos up tomorrow (Saturday).

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @themegagod: Congrats! I'm so happy for you! Now you can tell me all the GAD secrets

Haha, anyway, checking in again, because I keep forgetting about this place. Whoops! I got a postcard in the mail recently for the open house at Ringling on February 17th, and my parents are letting me go! I am super excited for this, my dad and I are going to fly down for the weekend. Anyone else going to go? Or current students? I am ridiculously excited about this, it's almost sad

Also, I am waiting on my teacher to send in the letter so I can be reviewed for Precollege. I have to bug him about it; it's been about two weeks now. I got nervous when I saw people being accepted. Anyway, good luck to everyone getting portfolios together!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Minaudie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, how are you all doing? I have a question about the application. On the common app, it doesn't have ca major when it ask you what major you want. So how can Ringling knows what i'm applying for ca?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watervase17, I was JUST about to come in here and post that.

I don't remember what I clicked for the common app, but I got a letter from Ringling saying what items I was missing and it listed me as an undeclared major. Before I emailed him back and inquired I was going to ask here -

will the major be updated when I select it on slideroom or is it something I have to tell them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just emailed them, i'll let you know what they say as soon as they answer. Since Ringling sent you a mail, maybe you can call them as ask about your situation. I don't know about the slideroom, I didn't use it yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you pick on slideroom? But I remember you had to fill out that secondary form where you picked CA...or something like that ionno for sure

13. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what form? when do we have to fill that out? is it included in the common app? or is it something Ringling will send you? or download on the web?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @WaterVase17 - I think she's talking about the supplement. It's part of the common app.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES the supplement. don't you pick on there what major you were?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep! I could have sworn there was a place to put your major down, so that's why I thought it was weird they said I was undeclared, since I marked ca on there. Maybe because I don't/didn't have all my other stuff in yet, but I've sent them an email and inquired

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got into GAD last year, but I took a year off instead. I am applying again this year, hoping I will get into GAD again!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaqschlanger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Zaq, I remember you from last year. Best of luck, maybe we'll be classmates come August! Is your portfolio any different from last year? Why'd you take the year off? you seemed pretty "gung-ho" if I remember right.

And I didn't forget about putting my portfolio up here for you guys. you know what, I'll start editing the pictures now. I think right now they are all around 1000 pixels in width, so I'll shrink them up and upload it so you can see what I got in with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Accepted GAD portfolio for 2012 made in 2011

so I made these images in 2011- renewed my information @ ringling, and they sent me an acceptance letter before I updated my slideroom with any new images. So this is last years portfolio, and it got me in! I would have made quite a few changes, but in any case I got in. I called and asked if I could add new images to possibly be in better standings to get scholarships, and they said that it would require a brand new application at this point.
    I figured I'd just accept whatever I got rather than try again. Fluke or not, I was accepted!

I won't lie; I'm not positive that I sent all of the images that you see below, 17 seems like a lot, but it's how I had it saved on my computer, so maybe it is. I'll answer any questions as best as I can. As far as I can recall this is exactly how I sent the image in my slide room.

Attached Images Attached Images                                  

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My portfolio is gonna have some new images while I take out some weaker images

I took a year off cause I just didn't feel ready for the sort of pressure an art school would have, I needed a break form education.

your portfolio is really great now, you have improved since we last talked, congratulations!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaqschlanger View Post
    I took a year off cause I just didn't feel ready for the sort of pressure an art school would have, I needed a break form education.

your portfolio is really great now, you have improved since we last talked, congratulations!
    Perhaps the time will be right this year. If it is, it'll be nice knowing there are other metal heads in the GAD program. lol, yeah, I had to browse your flickr account, because I'm just that kind of nosy. speaking of which, if you already are working towards becoming a photographer, why go to school for game art and design?

If you think my portfolio got better, that is like a month after you had last seen it. I personally think I'm much better than what you see above.

Speaking of portfolios, It's December, how are portfolios coming along? any work that people want a critique on? I mean, not to be that guy, but it's a fast approaching deadline- roughly a month left. In a few more weeks, there may not be time enough to make any changes. I have no life, so I'll definitely do my best to provide any feedback you might need. wow I just realized; I'm feeling the pressure, and I'm already out of the race...

okay, let me not rant.

Good luck everyone!
    Can't wait to see you all on the campus in a few months!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work themegagod!

So my being listed as an undeclared major was a simple mistake on their part and it's been corrected I'm glad it wasn't something I overlooked!

My portfolio is coming along slooooowly D= finals just ended for me, just had three shows with my youth drama group, and I've got to finish my own art commissions *craaai* but I plan to take next week and the week after off and just hunker down and go through my art and make MOAR art. I would love art crit of any sort when the time comes though! You can never not have enough feedback imho

26. The Following User Says Thank You to escaphilia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waaah, we CA people have only got a month left! Yeah I feel you escaphilia, I'm taking this week to hopefully produce more interesting pieces :Y

40% of my portfolio is figure drawing, 40% is still lifes and 20% is gestures and sketches. I feel like it's boring though :Y Everything is so clean with, what I think is, boring composition. My finished figure drawings are the same: majority are from the back pov :Y i wanna mix it up but those are my best oneeess D:

@ tmg: wow you had some really sweet nude studies!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I chose to not do photography in college because, to be honest, you don't need a college education to be a photographer. You need a few seminars and a semester of business.

As much as I wanted to do my #1 passion for college, I can still do photography on the side with complete ease, and all the schools I looked at, including Ringling, have a not very focused photo major with a lot of classes thrown in that I deem to be slightly unnecessary. There is one 10 month program I liked, but it was essentially a full time job and there was no college experience.

And if GAD is wrong for me, I'll go do photography with the money I save my parents, it would pay for a few years of gear I need to become professional

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaqschlanger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I'm a GAD senior at Ringling, if anyone has any questions about the major, I'll do my best to answer. I can answer some general questions about the school also.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lectriece View Post
    Hey, I'm a GAD senior at Ringling, if anyone has any questions about the major, I'll do my best to answer. I can answer some general questions about the school also.
    Well, if all goes to plan I will be starting my GAD years this upcoming august, so I of course have countless questions. Especially since you are one of the very few GADs to be found on the hopefuls threads, I am going to try to pick your brain as hard as I can. I hope you don't mind.

I guess first I'll ask,
    There have been really mixed messages about the GAD thesis of the future. I've heard that there will be next to no programing and 'design', focusing mainly on art, but then I've heard almost the exact opposite saying future students will be making playable demos. would you know anything about that?

then I'll ask
    If you could give any advice to yourself back when you were applying (you know time travel and what not), what you would say? In other words, what should us GAD hopefuls do before school, or what at least do you personally regret not doing before school?

and finally, (just to keep it simple)
    As the program is newer there is a lot that is still just unknown- for instance there are only about 6 thesis films in the student gallery on ringling's site, versus the countless examples f work done by the other majors. This does make one wonder, what will a GAD actually be working on? What I mean is, what is the GAD focus? I've seen a lot of asset design and environmental design, but is there a fair amount of concept art? gui design? lighting? character creation? animation? and the list of 'is there that stuff goes on and on'.

okay, okay, last one:
    lastly, how has your experience been? would you do it all over again? and in your experience, what do you see making for the most successful students, and what have you seen make for the students who have to struggle the most; academically and or professionally?

Thank you for possibly trying to answer all of this. not sure if you were expecting this much questioning, but As I said, I sometimes can't help myself from picking brains. If you look back a few pages on here, you'll see I asked Lizzybeth already like 3-4 questions.
    and again;
    thank you.

(and if anyone else can chime in based on these questions go right ahead)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem, ask away. If any of the terms or other stuff I say is unclear please let me know and I will try to explain, we use certain terms that may not be universal some times! ☺

There have been really mixed messages about the GAD thesis of the future. I've heard that there will be next to no programing and 'design', focusing mainly on art, but then I've heard almost the exact opposite saying future students will be making playable demos. would you know anything about that?

I can say each year is different; my class (2013) will only be the 3rd graduating class from our major. For my year we had only one semester with one class where we dedicatedly programmed anything, at that it was only kismet. In the three game design classes, we also developed some “mechanics” using kismet, though some students chose to take that further and learn Unreal Script. Other students have independently studied Python and a variety of other languages on their own time. For most of us art is our specialty.

The “playable demos” are basically explorable environments with limited interactivity at this time. The idea is we can throw a playable version up in the gallery and have people walk around in the spaces or have a recruiter download/play it in browser and see our stuff up close. This has only been a final part of thesis for the class of 2012 and 2013, it will likely remain a part of thesis for the coming years. I’m not here officially representing, so I can only speculate. The focus on the playable space happens in the spring semester.

If you could give any advice to yourself back when you were applying (you know time travel and what not), what you would say? In other words, what should us GAD hopefuls do before school, or what at least do you personally regret not doing before school?

Play more games from as many different genres as possible. Learn about storyboarding. Buy art books from the best films and games (or get them from the library here) and see what they’re doing. I basically looked at my Tangled art book daily during my pre-pro class. Dreamworks also has some really nice art books. Watch more TED talks. Watch trailers for films and games a lot. Don’t buy the freshman art kit from the school store.

For each person you are going to have different challenges, the curriculum here is really tight. The sooner you can work out what you are weakest at the faster you can fix it.

As the program is newer there is a lot that is still just unknown- for instance there are only about 6 thesis films in the student gallery on ringling's site, versus the countless examples f work done by the other majors. This does make one wonder, what will a GAD actually be working on? What I mean is, what is the GAD focus? I've seen a lot of asset design and environmental design, but is there a fair amount of concept art? gui design? lighting? character creation? animation? and the list of 'is there that stuff goes on and on'.

Because of the way games work in most cases it takes a team to make a game on the caliber we are striving for here. There are a lot of different things that go into making a game and most schools will try to expose you to a fair number of them to see what you like. This semester they had us try to narrow in to what position we would like in the industry and gear our portfolio towards that goal.

So everything you listed- we do all of that. I would say ui design is probably the one thing that my class never had a specific focus towards. I can’t speak for the underclassmen and what they’ve learned, I only know there are some differences. In general we do environment in the fall and character in the spring, those who don’t want to focus on character are offered alternative assignments. Junior year is a bit more flexible to accommodate for the different specialties students may want to pursue. Animation- we don’t do that much of because it really takes a dedicated program to get really good at that. We touch on it a little in 3D and take one semester of traditional animation (freshman year). If it is something you are into- make sure you take the second semester of traditional animation (sophomore year).

lastly, how has your experience been? would you do it all over again? and in your experience, what do you see making for the most successful students, and what have you seen make for the students who have to struggle the most; academically and or professionally?

My experience- it’s been tough, but I think it is worth it.

The most successful students… want to be here because it is what they want. They want to work in games or another interactive field. They seem to have fun with everything they work on, but still take it seriously. They have a true understanding of the basic art principles, constantly work to improve their stuff, stay focused, don’t get too stressed, and are really good at filling the screen (“canvas”) quickly.

Those who struggle the most are usually bad with time management or really slow when they make art. Or they’re people who don’t take critique well or at all, they think they can ignore the professors or be disrespectful and they will be just fine.

I’ve seen a lot of different types of struggling really, mostly – keep backups of your files in multiple places, roll with the punches and take critique well, be respectful, don’t neglect your projects, learn to deal with stress as best you can, never miss a crit, always show your work at crit, be on time, bathe regularly, learn to stay on a day schedule (don’t sleep during the day and work all night- that doesn’t work when you have to plan with lab hours), utilize the resources the campus has- the library has tons of artbooks and dvds, the counseling center, the academic resource center- for scheduling and if you aren’t a great writer, etc.

Make sure if you are coming into GAD you really want to be here, if you’d rather be in CA keep in mind you are fairly locked in. Make sure you have the finances to repeat a semester or a year in addition to attending all four years- shit happens even to the best students.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Lectriece For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyyy I just updated my portfolio for Ringling submission. Visit my portfolio blog at http://isaacliangportfolio.blogspot.sg/ Please feel free to give me suggestions of how to improve my portfolio..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesketchbook View Post
    Heyyy I just updated my portfolio for Ringling submission. Visit my portfolio blog at http://isaacliangportfolio.blogspot.sg/ Please feel free to give me suggestions of how to improve my portfolio..
    looks really good overall. IMO you most likely have a pretty good chance of getting in.

Critique:
    I would say from looking at your figure drawings, that depending on how long you had to do them you may want to add a bit more tone, and I'd also advise paying attention to the anatomy and facial proportions. I'd also work a bit more with hands, as your series of hand sketches look like they were done in a rush. I'd personally like to see them larger and more rendered to see all of the details, from the wrinkling of skin to the tones around veins, but that may be my personal preference, and perhaps having a series of hands in gesture is better for a submitted portfolio. IDK. Your portraits are good, but there does seem to be something about them that makes them appear flat. With the portrait of the woman, I think her skin wound up a bit grey, and I think with the older man, you may have caricatured him a bit, as he seems like a cartoon (yet a cartoon with a striking resemblance to my grandfather!). With the two page water color, I am a bit confused as to what is happening with the back tires on the blue car. Perhaps those are the mud flaps, but it would appear that the rear tires of the car are floating.

The good stuff:
    With your figures you seemed to have managed a good deal of showing their weight, and they feel as though they take up space. with the limited tone you used, Form is definitely created, and I think there is very little question about what each part of the figure is. Your still life of the rice cooker and other pots, I thought that was a photo at first glance. The reflections are all spot on, and the image is rendered beautifully. nothing bad I can think of saying about it. On your portraits the reflected colored lights are beautiful. You seem to have done quite well at capturing skin color, and i see lots of subsurface scattering going on, something that always adds a whole lot of depth, character, and realism to a piece if done right. Your cartoons, I love them. can't really say much about them other than that. The seem to catch the motion and emotion of the people , and what more than that can one ask for? You use water color and ink to great effects, and There is little more I can say.

AS I started this post off with, I think this portfolio is good enough to get in, but I honestly haven't the slightest clue on what they judge them off of. I Did my best to critique it as honestly as could, but take all I say with a grain of salt, unless you feel it helpful. Good luck! hopefully see you come april (accepted students day) and if not then, than in August!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    themegagod: Thank you for the critiques and compliments. I am determined to be the best I can and I really hope to get some Ringling scholarships from my portfolio. Oh yeah, I forgot about hand studies. Okays,I will work on hand studies. All of the figure drawing poses last for 5 and 10 mins. I have to draw as fast as I can because I want to focus on human anatomy first, then face details. Haha really? I think my skills are going toward cartoony because i want to do visual development for Animation. Hopefully, I will get in. Hope to see you guys in August. *fingers crossing*

39. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovesketchbook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesketchbook View Post
    themegagod: Thank you for the critiques and compliments. I am determined to be the best I can and I really hope to get some Ringling scholarships from my portfolio. Oh yeah, I forgot about hand studies. Okays,I will work on hand studies. All of the figure drawing poses last for 5 and 10 mins. I have to draw as fast as I can because I want to focus on human anatomy first, then face details. Haha really? I think my skills are going toward cartoony because i want to do visual development for Animation. Hopefully, I will get in. Hope to see you guys in August. *fingers crossing*
    Really nice portfolio! You made me kind of nervous tbh! XD Remember, try to stray from the cartoony style for your figure drawings because admissions is looking to see you can draw realistically. Your figure drawings are really well done for 5-10 minute sketches. You have a nice amount of figure drawings. Like tmg said, your still life of the pot made me think "is that a photo??" Real nice demonstration of your photoshop skills. I agree w tmg on the hands, they need more detail. What did you use on that drawing of the park? It looks great! I think you have a lot of nice pieces, but 18 seems like a lot, maybe you want to narrow some of it down to your best pieces ( pick out your best figure drawings and portraits ), it's best to have a smaller portfolio with your best pieces than a larger portfolio with some okay pieces to weigh your score down

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    Really nice portfolio! You made me kind of nervous tbh!
    I got in! if I can do it, so can you! keep the faith!

Quote Originally Posted by Lectriece View Post
    No problem, ask away. If any of the terms or other stuff I say is unclear please let me know and I will try to explain, we use certain terms that may not be universal some times! ☺

I’ve seen a lot of different types of struggling really, mostly – keep backups of your files in multiple places, roll with the punches and take critique well, be respectful, don’t neglect your projects, learn to deal with stress as best you can, never miss a crit, always show your work at crit, be on time, bathe regularly, learn to stay on a day schedule (don’t sleep during the day and work all night- that doesn’t work when you have to plan with lab hours), utilize the resources the campus has- the library has tons of artbooks and dvds, the counseling center, the academic resource center- for scheduling and if you aren’t a great writer, etc.

Make sure if you are coming into GAD you really want to be here, if you’d rather be in CA keep in mind you are fairly locked in. Make sure you have the finances to repeat a semester or a year in addition to attending all four years- shit happens even to the best students.
    I just realized that you responded! It looked so much like my post that I just scrolled passed it. WOW.
    Surprisingly you didn't confuse me too much with language, but I have noticed the whole other language thing in blogs. It kind of scares me when I can't understand some of the key terms they use. makes me wonder if I'll be able to understand what I'll be learning in classes. But at least knowing it kind of is its own language i don't feel bad anymore; I at least won't be the only one learning the "speak".

As far as staying on a schedule, I guess I'll be using these months before school to make that a part of life. I've always struggled a bit with time management and staying in a pattern (damn you ADHD!). I always got by with procrastination; but I know that won't work anymore. I think that's going to be my main problem. That truly is what scares me most...

Thank you so much for the information, and it took me a good amount of time to really decide, but I do think that I most prefer game art and design. I guess only time will tell, but I'm not afraid of being locked in. I figure if worse comes to worse I'll just learn animation through animationmentor or another schools graduate programs after ringling as a secondary skill set. I already plan on getting a doctorate in my far future just so people have to call me Doctor (because I'm vain like that), meaning I have no fear of continuing education... forever. But I've always loved games... as in they define my youth. Animation I always really liked and enjoyed, but I've never really cared for it. I just really enjoy it. Sort of like, I like to eat cake but I have no real passion for cooking it other than I want to eat cake. Games are more... my memories; it's hard to explain- but they've always been kind of what defined large passages of time for me, what game I was playing at that time, what game I associate with a person, the game informer magazine... and so on. Oddly though, I never played as many games as many others I've known; i;m more a gamer voyeur! lol.

With all of that
    how do you feel about the opportunities you now have as a senior? What I mean to say is, this time next year, I'd imagine you are looking to be a working professional; do you think the school has provided you with that opportunity? Is there anywhere you have your hopes set on? Are you excited that your Ringling 'chapter' is nearing it's close (one more semester, right?)?
    If that's prying to much, no worries, just as I said, I am very much one of those curious people.

happy holidays to everyone reading this BTW! (that is if the world doesn't end o.o)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I pretty much second everything anomalexie and themegagod have said - focus on realism as opposed to showing your individual style. As it stands, your work is very stylistic, even on the figure drawings and the animal drawings. While I (personally) think it's a good idea to include one or two pieces that represent you, a good majority should show you have a foundational grasp on art. I hope that helps!

Blargggg I need to get busy photographing everything T__T holidays y u so buseh D=

haha good one themegagod, yeah if the world doesn't end maybe I'll have a good excuse xP

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to escaphilia For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 25