Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What major are you thinking of applying to, squareyes?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The computer animation program.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw, everyone here is applying to Computer Animation and one person to Game Art & Design. Yay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's hope we will get in together. It's hard to get scholarships since they are very competitive. All the best everyone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how are your portfolios coming along?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @squareyes: with a good portfolio, it is possible to get into CA <: i'm just missing a few pieces in my portfolio to give it some variety

yeah i hope we all do get in ^-^ good luck to everyone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats good. im kinda stressing as i want to get in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me too!! Yeah, i am still building up my portfolio. Maybe i will include storytelling storyboards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw, I'm all alone as a GAD . lol.

squareyes: you say you make games, why not become a GAD, lol, give me some company? and with a great portfolio, from what I understand, that's all that really matters... but it has to be good enough to off shoot the negatives of your GPA. Your GPA shows your perseverance and work ethic (at least in theory). you can be a very talented artist and not have the drive to succeed. If you have the drive you can learn to be a good artist- that's what I understand the whole GPA thought process as being. If you can prove you have the drive, they should let you in.

My portfolio from last year is already done, i'm just touching it up, adding a few pieces, removing others.

BTW, did anyone make it to the open house? I mixed up the dates, thought it was next Saturday... oh well, guess I'll schedule a quick personal tour when I get the chance.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesketchbook View Post
    Maybe i will include storytelling storyboards.
    I'm not sure if you should or shouldn't do that... Although It might be a good idea, I would check with a counselor/ admissions rep, to find out if that's a good idea.
    Remember they want to see how well you can create; so I guess it would depend on the quality of the work, I wouldn't use anything cartoonish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha nah i want to do animation.

Heres some of the game stuff ive done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9x356lTezk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LoTpuQsg0U

Do you have any examples of accept portfolios or great portfolios?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by squareyes View Post
    Do you have any examples of accept portfolios or great portfolios?
    those games looked pretty fun, lol, maybe even newgrounds worthy. what programs did you use? And why not game art and design? I was on the fence for awhile about CA versus GAD, and I was just wondering what aspect swayed your vote.

some portfolio examples can be found on ringling's site:
    http://www.ringling.edu/admissions-f...olio-examples/

and you may also want to check out the accepted portfolio section:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ted-Portfolios

as people keep telling me, try not to compare your work; but I do think it is important to bear in mind, that any one of these portfolio pieces may be striving for the same seat as you are. no matter what it is you are making, seriously put 110% into it. Learn by doing, push yourself beyond what you know you can do, and into work that amazes even yourself- and you should be okay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my good friend who was accepted for CA program this year. His figure drawing is awesome!

http://kevinoh-art.blogspot.sg/2012_03_01_archive.html

Aonther friend also got accepted for CA program this year with Ringling scholarship worth $10,000

http://www.catherinerbailey.com/cat_portfolio.html

I heard that the admissions prefer seeing your life drawing and gesture studies.. This is very important for CA or Illus. Hope this helps.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovesketchbook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I haven't finished reading most of this thread, but I'm a sophomore CA and would be glad to answer any questions you guys have about ringling. If you haven't already, check out some upperclassmen/alumni blogs. A few of my favorites:

http://vmaury.blogspot.com/
    http://kwonshell.blogspot.com/
    http://karlhadrika.blogspot.com/
    http://behiboe.blogspot.com/
    http://chocosweete.blogspot.com/

Hope you guys are having a great year and hope to see some of y'all next fall!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Praemium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Praemium View Post
    Hey guys, I haven't finished reading most of this thread, but I'm a sophomore CA and would be glad to answer any questions you guys have about ringling.
    I remember you from past threads! How has Ringling been so far? Any advice for us new hopefuls, or still hopefuls?

Also, maybe you'd know, how is the GAD program shaping out? any Alum blogs of GADs you know of? Since It's a newer program, it's still a bit rough finding info on it.

Finally, the big issue, how have you personally been affording it?

thank you!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @praemium: pfffff, i ate up victor maury, michelle kwon and stevie's blogs, SO GOOOOODDD. yeah! enlighten us with wisdom you wish you knew beforehand? o: also i love the way you draw tigers

@sketchbook: how'd she get the 10k scholarship? 08 kevin does have really good figure drawings~ all my gestures suck :L my figure drawings aren't too bad though.

@squareyes: don't include your video game stuff. as sketchbook says, admissions WANTS to see more figure drawing and gestures and still lifes. They don't want to know you are ahead of the game, they want to know you can excel at the game. They want to know that if they bet on you, you won't be one of those people dropping out at the end of the semester because you can't keep up with all the traditional art we're gonna be doing. I put in my animation from my animation class senior year and that got me a "pick a different major" letter. I'm sticking to what they want this year, this is my last shot.

Last edited by anomalexie; October 17th, 2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: cos mjw has wicked art skillz <:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    themegagod: I think the quality of work from seniors at this school is astounding on computer animation. Ive seen the videos on youtube and i want to be able to create animated shorts.
    Im kind of tired of making games haha i want to tell storys. I make my games in multimedia fusion 2 and im currently learning the unity engine.

anomalexie: I wouldnt link this stuff to them. There very specific on seeing still life drawings so my games would be irrelevant. Ive never done the application but i heard there was a section where you explain what youve been up to since you left high school. I dont want to like them anything but just give them a general idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by squareyes View Post
    themegagod: I think the quality of work from seniors at this school is astounding on computer animation. Ive seen the videos on youtube and i want to be able to create animated shorts.
    Im kind of tired of making games haha i want to tell storys. I make my games in multimedia fusion 2 and im currently learning the unity engine.
    I Kind of did the same thing but the opposite way around, lol. I, as a sophomore in high school (i'm 21 now), started playing around with animation and flash, and I've learned to animate, not perfectly, but pretty well. I found that though I do enjoy it, there's just not a full love of it, yet it actually was looking up animation programs that brought me to Ringling. their animation videos are truly jaw droppingly amazing. They hooked me! yet when I read about their GAD program i realized I would Like to learn to animate, but that for me is more a side project; I want to create worlds, and act as god. I want a bit of animation thrown in to make the worlds more believable, but really the idea of interactivity in art is indescribably appealing.
    Maybe once we're in school, I'll pick your brain for animation skills, and you can pick mine for gaming skills. never hurts to know more if you can find the outlet to learn .

I've never used those engines. The furthest I've used was also back in high school, I used the gamemaker program, which was sprite based. I then got a program called dark basic, but it's C++ based scripting language was a bit rough on me, and I couldn't go anywhere with it... I was also 13, that might have had something to do with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=@sketchbook: how'd she get the 10k scholarship? 08 kevin does have really good figure drawings~ all my gestures suck :L my figure drawings aren't too bad though.[/QUOTE]

If you want to get Ringling scholarship, you'd better submit everything on 15 Jan 2013 as CA applicant. For the applicants for other majors except CA, You have to complete the application process in order to be considered for merit-based scholarships.

For more info, please go take a look at this link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone! I'm applying for the CA program as well.
    I know this is irrelevant but I was wondering if anyone knows how to make a personal portfolio website. I want to make one when I'm in college but I've only taken two classes of Web Design. Do they help you make one? Is there a workshop or something?
    Thanks. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    Out of curiosity, what school did you go to instead? Also you may want to make sure about the whole transferring thing; I'd say call the school, talk to a counselor, because what I've grown to understand is there isn't any real "transferring" any longer. It's more you can have some GE/prerequisite classes removed /turned into free periods; or rather open slots for more electives. I'm not positive on that situation, so I'd definitely call the school. You should tell us what they tell you; to clear up any confusions going around on here.
    I went to LCAD majoring in Animation instead. The 2d animation training there is awesome, but I feel I should be learning more about 3D instead. There are 3d classes there, and I have only taken the fundamental for 3d. But I'd rather continue at Ringling. As for transferring, I do understand that I will start as a freshman, but I'm hoping for some liberal arts classes to be transferred. I e-mailed Ringling or Eric, but I haven't talked to any teachers, advisors, or admissions at LCAD. I'd rather keep it under wraps until I'm accepted into CA. And yepp, I would start as a freshman, take all required classes, and... that's it. I would graduate along with the rest who applied as new students in 2017.

I'm also working on my portfolio again. I'm just going to spin out paintings and drawings and pick out the best ones. I'm working on still-lifes and concept paintings. Maybe storyboarding or illustrative visual work. Also maybe some traditional animations I did in class... I'm not much of a painter though... I hope that won't dent my opportunities!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to daiaenna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the easiest place to make a portfolio website is blogspot. I heard carbonmade was pretty good, but blogspot is really simple. When you go to the website, just sign up, create a blog, and create blog posts with your portfolio in it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to daiaenna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=@sketchbook: how'd she get the 10k scholarship? 08 kevin does have really good figure drawings~ all my gestures suck :L my figure drawings aren't too bad though.
    [/QUOTE]

She applied for CA in January and her portfolio was considered for merit-based scholarships. If you want to get Ringling scholarship badly, better submit by 1st March 2012. But the deadline for Computer Animation submission is on 15th January 2013.

Lols, don't compare your artwork to the others. Everyone has different talents and different capabilities. I am sure you have something better than Kelvin. Cheers.

Please take a look at:
    http://www.ringling.edu/admissions-f...ter-animation/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=@sketchbook: how'd she get the 10k scholarship? 08 kevin does have really good figure drawings~ all my gestures suck :L my figure drawings aren't too bad though.
    [/QUOTE]

She applied for CA in January and her portfolio was considered for merit-based scholarships. If you want to get Ringling scholarship badly, better submit by 1st March 2012. But the deadline for Computer Animation submission is on 15th January 2013.

Lols, don't compare your artwork to the others. Everyone has different talents and different capabilities. I am sure you have something better than Kelvin. Cheers.

Please take a look at:
    http://www.ringling.edu/admissions-f...ter-animation/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @themegagod Hey, I don't actually know any blogs of current GADs. Most of the juniors/seniors have portfolio websites though, not sure if I have permission to link those though, but I can PM you the links.

As for portfolios, just keep drawing and trying to improve. Honestly, don't compare portfolios, just try to do your best work. The portfolio won't really matter anyways once you get here, it is only a small test of potential. So go above and beyond what you think is required drawing-wise this year, even if it isn't something you will put in your portfolio. I know that was kind of my problem when I applied. I had a decent portfolio, but I played a lot of catch up on learning how to draw during freshman year (which I could have used to really refine my skills).

As for money issues, I think the scholarship situation has honestly gotten better. It seems like there are more small scholarships being given out ($2,000-5,000) as opposed to a few years ago when there seemed to be only a select few larger 10k scholarships. And if you dont get one this year, you can reapply later or once you get here. Fafsa is of course, very important and student loans are unfortunately, for most of us, a necessary evil. Also, private loans can also help bridge the gap. Loan renewal can also be a problem... but again, we're pretty much all sacrificing a lot to be here.

Sorry if it took a while to get back to you guys, sophomores are kind of in crunch time right now hahah, we're dying

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Praemium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Hello! I am currently a junior in High School looking to go into GAD when it's time to apply. I read the hopefuls thread I think 2 years ago or so, and will hopefully be staying current with this one!

So, hello everyone and hello themegagod! You won't be the only GAD now, even though I will be applying next year.

I don't really have a sketchbook yet or anything, and may not have anything up for a while, I have tons of school and life stuff going on right now, so my time is often cut short.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I'm applying to Ringling for fall 2013... To avoid redundancy, if you're interested, I have a thread here: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...d-some-honesty and would appreciate any sort of comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Praemium View Post
    Most of the juniors/seniors have portfolio websites though, not sure if I have permission to link those though, but I can PM you the links.
    Sorry if it took a while to get back to you guys, sophomores are kind of in crunch time right now hahah, we're dying
    No worries about the time; in a few years, I think all of us hopefuls here hope to be saying the same thing! Just think of all of the good stuff you're learning!
    If you could PM me those links that would be GREAT!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Minaudie View Post
    Hello Hello! I am currently a junior in High School looking to go into GAD when it's time to apply. I read the hopefuls thread I think 2 years ago or so, and will hopefully be staying current with this one!

So, hello everyone and hello themegagod! You won't be the only GAD now, even though I will be applying next year.

I don't really have a sketchbook yet or anything, and may not have anything up for a while, I have tons of school and life stuff going on right now, so my time is often cut short.

I wish I knew about this school back when I was a junior in high school. Lucky you seriously.
    I'll tell you what, if all goes according to plan, I'll get in, and then once you are ready to apply next year, I can come back to the hopefuls thread of that year, and tell you how Freshman year is fleshing out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Just signed up for the website and am in the midst of pulling everything together. Blood, sweat, and tears currently aren't being spared in the creation of my portfolio. I wish to major in Game Art and Design at Ringling in Sarasota. I'm glad I came across this because I was searching for examples to compare to. Can't thank you enough for this thread. I plan on setting up my sketch book in the near future and will update it frequently.

My primary form of media is graphic material: computer tablets, etc.

Now that I know my focus will need to be on still life, time to re-supply and get to work.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Temcampy For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26