Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls - Page 21
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyDKim View Post
    I guess I'm on the same boat as you guys. When I was doing the calculations for scholarship applications, I realized that the CA program is 60,000 dollars a year. And that is not something I can afford at all. At the end of four years, it'd be 240,000 in debt. That's a quarter of a million dollars. I understand that there will be some scholarships but honestly, I'm questioning whether it's worth it. I'd love to get in and do what I love but honestly, is all this money really worth it? I'm coming from a home that has five family members living on 50k a year and it's hard to imagine so much money at once. Maybe it's because I'm an immigrant and all but I don't know. I can't imagine having to pay that away for the rest of my life and having my family suffer trying to put me through it. I'm just really confused right now. Not like I'll get into the CA program either since I suck but just hypothesizing.
    I come from a single mom household of two kids, and under 30k a year- many years were closer to 15-20, so you are not alone.
    The way I look at it, is I plan on making roughly 50-60k a year, by using this education I gain- It's actually not that outrageous a sum according to many statistics. hell, if i can make 30k a year, I'm doing better than I am now (and better than a lot of others too).
    If I look at going to school as being part of my professional life- In a way it is just the life expense I plan to one day make. If I make and spend 60k a year- 240 over four years is about right.

Also with a decent payment system, It won't be a lifetime of payments- and with correct investments along the way- you could end up quite secure. I don't fully understand all the ins and outs of finance, but as I'm learning, it seems that us who don't know all that don't come from money, should learn to look at debt not as only a bad thing- but sort of a neutral thing depending on what it is for...
    worst come to worst, file for bankruptcy- get your debt cut into I think it's a third of it's amount- and then get a descent job, and slowly build your credit up again from terrible. It's hard but people do it regularly.

I think I heard something during the election cycle, that just as Obama was elected president he finished paying off his college debt. All I could think was, "wow".

and about loans- I doubt I know anymore than anyone else whose never taken one out- but they seem to be based on assets and credit levels. As we, as young people, some of whom have never had a job, have next to no credit, the loans may have to be taken out in someone else's name, or as a co-signer. In most instances, the banks weigh the credibility of the reason for the loan, and the likely hood of seeing a return before they give a loan out. As college education is often seen as a means to increase money making ability, often loans are readily given for college educations as long as one can show credit scores are high. with many other loans sometimes equal money must exist in ones account before a loan can be taken out, or one must have a history of doing good on loans. Real estate and school loans are some of the easiest to get- as they seem to be the most secure forms of investment (at least on paper).
    Things to look out for in loans are obviously the interest rates, the cost of the loan (often called points), and the payment method set up. Many loans "cost" a certain amount, so if you take out a 30k loan, you may only actually get a 25k payment on it (I'm not fully sure of how this works). With the payment method, often the lowest payment plan (the one a lot of people jump on) is simply paying off the interest, not the loan- this does nothing to lower ones amount of debt.
    The next thing is checking on when the loan is due- Some loans build interest as soon as they are given, while others build after a certain point, or not until one is out of school for a set amount of time (i think it is often 6 months). I believe payment periods are variable to each loan type- though it does make sense that what ever the loan, or when ever payments are do, paying off as much as possible, as soon as possible is always the best...
    but you cannot always pay off a loan as soon as you get it, or there may be penalties- banks plan on a certain amount of the interest build up that one pays while having a loan, so often there are clauses in the contract, where you will be fined if you pay off the whole loan before a certain point.
    last thing about loans I can think of, is making sure you know where/how the money in the loan can be used. some loans are given directly as money- use if for what you want- school, housing, what ever- it's money. others can be used for only particular items- such as only school, only homes... and then, some loans are given directly to the institution, and you basically never have a chance to decide what to do with it- your job with the last kind of loan is just to pay what ever the amount you pay on it is, and the rest is dealt with between the bank and educational institution.

NOw is all this on loans 100% absolutly correct? I doubt it- it's how I understand it, and I am still very very green to the understanding of all of this. this is how it's been explained to me, and how I personally understand what I've read. Please if anyone sees anything wrong with what I said, do not be afraid to correct that information!
    I really don't know anything- this is just my understanding, and I have no more and probably a lot les experience with these things than most. but to those who It might help, pleased to be of service.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In all honestly, I have no idea how I'm gonna pay for it. I come from a single parent household, with a yearly income of around $45,000, just enough to pay rent and enjoy going out to eat once a week. I know my Dad's trying to help out in any way he knows how, and I'm sure I'll get a loan or grant or whatever, but I'm positive the experience is going to leave me with next to nothing. Of course, we're all assuming that we're going to get out and have great, high wage jobs. I doubt that, but in an ideal world, that's what would happen. Most people I know think I'm crazy for wanting to go to a school that's so expensive, but the way I see it, most people spend their entire lives worrying about whether they'll be able to afford this or that, and never really getting anywhere. They'll look at a price tag and simply because it's too expensive, pass it up. If you go through life that way, you'll come out with a lot of money, but no possessions, experiences, knowledge, etc. So I'm going to ignore the price tag of a college education and simply worry about how I'm going to pay it back when the time comes. Best case, I'll have nothing to worry about. Worst case? I dunno, but it can't be that bad, right? I'll survive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrews View Post
    In all honestly, I have no idea how I'm gonna pay for it. I come from a single parent household, with a yearly income of around $45,000, just enough to pay rent and enjoy going out to eat once a week. I know my Dad's trying to help out in any way he knows how, and I'm sure I'll get a loan or grant or whatever, but I'm positive the experience is going to leave me with next to nothing. Of course, we're all assuming that we're going to get out and have great, high wage jobs. I doubt that, but in an ideal world, that's what would happen. Most people I know think I'm crazy for wanting to go to a school that's so expensive, but the way I see it, most people spend their entire lives worrying about whether they'll be able to afford this or that, and never really getting anywhere. They'll look at a price tag and simply because it's too expensive, pass it up. If you go through life that way, you'll come out with a lot of money, but no possessions, experiences, knowledge, etc. So I'm going to ignore the price tag of a college education and simply worry about how I'm going to pay it back when the time comes. Best case, I'll have nothing to worry about. Worst case? I dunno, but it can't be that bad, right? I'll survive.
    Debts are the main fall for many modern day students. If you can't afford something don't rush it. There are plently of other great school that if you have the neccesary skills can offer you good scholarships. Debts are something hideous if you think about it you won't be allowed to move much out of the country and you will have to have a 100% stable job after you graduate which is not easy for an artist. Be wise with your actions and don't relie on luck only. The least you could do is pick another school (work as hell for a year and magic happens) and lower that absurd amount, no school in the USA is worth paying 60 000. That's my opinion on the question.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to platformerbg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I calculated it and the costs come up to just under 55k with the most expensive dorms and meal plan and "the maximum amount spent on supplies." Well it's only about 60k because living on campus is like 12k a year. so i mean when you cut that out and then save money on supplies and books its really just over 40k. but the job network ringling has and the education they teach you and all the latest technology they have for you to use, i mean i really think it's worth the almost 60k a year. you say to think about other great schools but where else is there to go? SCAD is only a little cheaper because they can offer you more scholarships but i've seen lots of complaints from their programs and CalArts is across the country and just moving over there is expensive not to mention the plane tickets to come home during break, if you can even afford it. I talked to my parents about postponing my acceptance, if i do get accepted, and just dropping out of college and working full time to be able to make the money to pay for expenses and they told me that working for a year was going to be a waste of time because i'll make up for it when i make more than 2 or 5 times what I make now when i graduate.

People amass the same amount of debt going into medical school. I joke with my sister (she's 3 years younger than me) about all the debt we'll have because she wants to become a medical examiner and that requires a lot of schooling, somewhere around 7-10 years after high school. I tell her by the time she gets her last degree and graduates from graduate school I'll probably have cut my debt from Ringling down to the last 1/4. I'll be somewhere in my early 30s by then. Do I mind all the debt ahead of me? Scares the fucking shit out of me, but to have a career that makes me happy is worth it. Why have no debt and be stuck at a job I hate? Yeah I can have the house I want and the biggest flatscreen I want and travel the world until I've seen everything, but I don't want to make a long term commitment to something I'm not happy with. I'm not that kind of extravagant person anyways lol. You just have to plan this the right way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    I calculated it and the costs come up to just under 55k with the most expensive dorms and meal plan and "the maximum amount spent on supplies." Well it's only about 60k because living on campus is like 12k a year. so i mean when you cut that out and then save money on supplies and books its really just over 40k. but the job network ringling has and the education they teach you and all the latest technology they have for you to use, i mean i really think it's worth the almost 60k a year. you say to think about other great schools but where else is there to go? SCAD is only a little cheaper because they can offer you more scholarships but i've seen lots of complaints from their programs and CalArts is across the country and just moving over there is expensive not to mention the plane tickets to come home during break, if you can even afford it. I talked to my parents about postponing my acceptance, if i do get accepted, and just dropping out of college and working full time to be able to make the money to pay for expenses and they told me that working for a year was going to be a waste of time because i'll make up for it when i make more than 2 or 5 times what I make now when i graduate.

People amass the same amount of debt going into medical school. I joke with my sister (she's 3 years younger than me) about all the debt we'll have because she wants to become a medical examiner and that requires a lot of schooling, somewhere around 7-10 years after high school. I tell her by the time she gets her last degree and graduates from graduate school I'll probably have cut my debt from Ringling down to the last 1/4. I'll be somewhere in my early 30s by then. Do I mind all the debt ahead of me? Scares the fucking shit out of me, but to have a career that makes me happy is worth it. Why have no debt and be stuck at a job I hate? Yeah I can have the house I want and the biggest flatscreen I want and travel the world until I've seen everything, but I don't want to make a long term commitment to something I'm not happy with. I'm not that kind of extravagant person anyways lol. You just have to plan this the right way.
    You don't need the best and the newest technology to become a great artist. There are lots of other options to name a few: SCAD(crap loaded with Cyntiq's), CCAD(also has a lot of tech), RISD(this is heaven if you are from the USA, they offer great financial need scholarships), Cleveland Institute of Art, MIAD and so on. People care about what you have in your portfolio not your degree. A lot of the schools I mentioned (including SCAD) can be around 50% cheaper if you have a little better than the average portfolio. Would you buy a macbook or another laptop that has the same hardware but costs 50% less. There isn't a school in this world that has the best things in it, art school is what you make of it. It's a combination of learning, self teaching and probing around to learn even more. I am not telling you to change your job (or your school for that matter) but to be carefull when you make these decisions that will affect your life (since I guess you can't apply anywhere else now, except SCAD I think). Though that is just my opinion.

Last edited by platformerbg; February 26th, 2013 at 10:36 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to platformerbg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by platformerbg View Post
    You don't need the best and the newest technology to become a great artist. There are lots of other options to name a few: SCAD(crap loaded with Cyntiq's), CCAD(also has a lot of tech), RISD(this is heaven if you are from the USA, they offer great financial need scholarships), Cleveland Institute of Art, MIAD and so on. People care about what you have in your portfolio not your degree. A lot of the schools I mentioned (including SCAD) can be around 50% cheaper if you have a little better than the average portfolio. Would you buy a macbook or another laptop that has the same hardware but costs 50% less. There isn't a school in this world that has the best things in it, art school is what you make of it. It's a combination of learning, self teaching and probing around to learn even more. I am not telling you to change your job (or your school for that matter) but to be carefull when you make these decisions that will affect your life (since I guess you can't apply anywhere else now, except SCAD I think). Though that is just my opinion.
    Honestly, I completely agree with your opinion- and if I didn't actually have a means to pay for this education, I may HAVE to seek other routes. I wouldn't want to go to any other school besides Ringling, but I may not have the opinion financially to attend.
    If for you 50k a year is too much to pay for school, what school do you attend/ plan to attend?

oh and
    @anomalexie: make sure you leave room for inflation- Until the college price "bubble" burst like the housing market did- the price is expected to go up I think 7% a year. That means that if you were to do the whole 9- the 50k a year plan- by the end of the four years you should expect to pay closer to 230k rather than 200, (4 x 50).

But yeah it can be afordable- but its going to be hard, and we are all gambling. but if you don't try there is no way one will win.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anomalexie , you cannot actually postpone your acceptance in Ringling, they can keep your app and such and you can reapply the next year with an updated portfolio (optional but recommended). I Got accepted into GAD last year and decided to take a year off for a few reasons, and I had to get chosen again this year (thankfully I did for GAD again), but especially for something like CA, they have to put your through the selection process again.

As for budgets, Yes you don't need the highest tech things for art, and there are plenty of other art schools that are amazing and cheaper. But I know for me at least, I chose Ringling because of their methods and environment. Money is hard these days, my dad is coming to the end of his contract at work so he will have to convince them to keep him, but he refuses to let me not go to school because of the money, which is awesome, but I still feel bad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Offtopic, but I believe it's important to know what's happening in the industry you want to work for and what's going on currently... this week was of course the Oscars, and if you didn't know the rest of the story... well, here are some of the sobering facts about what is currently going on with the VFX industry:

http://thinkinganimationbook.blogspo...ece-of-pi.html

This is a very real problem, especially with the closure of Digital Domain (a company that gave a presentation here 2 weeks before it closed it's doors)

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/...ted-69456.html

Also, dreamworks recently cut 25% of it's workforce from ALL studios and now R&H is bankrupt.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/...rks-77655.html

Of course there will always be flux in the industry, and I'm sure it will get back on it's feet within the time y'all begin to graduate, but it is definitely something to think about. These are unstable careers sometimes with very long hours and little remuneration... I bring this up not to scare anybody out of coming here or wanting to work in the industry, but because it is the very nature of the industry itself. Mostly, I bring this up because the Oscars happened this week and it has been a huge deal within the community here at Ringling.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Praemium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @zaq: Good luck to your dad!
    And what about their method(s) differs?
    I love the school and the product it produces, and I've heard only good things overall- thats what I based my choice on, but I'd love to know more about "What makes this school different from all other schools"? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Praemium View Post
    Offtopic, but I believe it's important to know what's happening in the industry you want to work for and what's going on currently... this week was of course the Oscars, and if you didn't know the rest of the story... well, here are some of the sobering facts about what is currently going on with the VFX industry:

http://thinkinganimationbook.blogspo...ece-of-pi.html

This is a very real problem, especially with the closure of Digital Domain (a company that gave a presentation here 2 weeks before it closed it's doors)

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/...ted-69456.html

Also, dreamworks recently cut 25% of it's workforce from ALL studios and now R&H is bankrupt.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/...rks-77655.html

Of course there will always be flux in the industry, and I'm sure it will get back on it's feet within the time y'all begin to graduate, but it is definitely something to think about. These are unstable careers sometimes with very long hours and little remuneration... I bring this up not to scare anybody out of coming here or wanting to work in the industry, but because it is the very nature of the industry itself. Mostly, I bring this up because the Oscars happened this week and it has been a huge deal within the community here at Ringling.
    I read the one you put on the facebook group- and it is most definitely a scary prospect.

The game industry has been like this for a good chunk of time as well. Many companies fire their employees just before game release to save money- and it's become a more common practice for crunch time to be basically a project long period. This is burning employees out, and early retirement has become common practice, as people simply cannot keep up with 20 hr work days 7 days a week for years at a time.

Worse yet, with jobs being sent over seas, unionization is a very "iffy" prospect. There is very little ability to fight for comparable wages, when foreign countries can afford (or better yet are willing) to go much lower.

But on the upside, a good deal of small independent studios seem to be doing okay for themselves, so maybe it's just a change in the way the industry is going to work?
    And of course a select few of the very best, may never have to worry about fluctuations as they will always be sought after by any company still doing well- but how many people out there will be THAT good?

I was just discussing with my mom though- that before too long, the global economy may have to collapse, as it seems right now America is on the down end of a collapse- so everything may change by the time we graduate. only time will tell for certain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That article was very interesting. Also, I just wanted to say that you're never guaranteed a job and it is impossible to predict the future. Hence, people must worry about getting themselves and their families into debt because it is a possibility. I believe the animation/illustration industries are over-saturated. I googled that like last month and I found some very informative posts. Yeah, it might be expanding a bit but it is way too crowded. It seems every artsy kid you meet these days wants to be an animator or video game designer. <---Of course, that's my opinion!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh, depressing topic.

I discussed this with my teacher in the art studio I attend to. And his response was "It is a hard time for artists, But for whom it isn't?"

This broke my hesitation, because he makes every sense.

People these days should prepare chill pills in their medical cabinets.

Email:kaiweitsao@gmail.com
    Sketchbook

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrayTSAO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess the challenge these days (or rather, since the beginning of time...or....beginning of the entertainment industry.....or...well, any art gig in particular...<---babble babble) is not so much getting a job, it's making sure that you stay original enough to create art that stands out from the crowd. Sure, the entertainment industry IS over-saturated, but so is the medical field, and essentially almost every field that contributes to our society. Our economy sucks right now, why do you think they are remaking so many movies? Because those ideas already sell to people...why would a film company produce an original movie from scratch, and risk losing millions of dollars, when they could recreate a story that already exists and be almost guaranteed to make a profit.

Stupid economy...

The only thing that separates you from anyone else applying for the same job is creativity and originality, along with the ability to give employers something they will remember about you.

So..I'm rambling because I'm tired. Oh wow.

I guess I don't look at this career goal as a possible dead-end or even fill my brain with "what-ifs". It's just depressing and demotivating, you know? Yes, something horrible could ALSO happen to every aspect of life, but the ideas of those negative chances shouldn't encourage anyone to withdraw from a desired plan of action. Life's about taking risks, I say, because I guess in most cases, every decision you make is taking a risk. Screw it, I say just dive right in and put your all into whatever dream you have, and life will just work out. I mean, nothing is handed to you, you have to actually try, but going to school and working your ass off in every class to build a kick-ass portfolio is certainly trying...Something has to come out of it.

I think for the most part, the art kids who DO NOT get decent paying jobs are kids that just jump right into expensive universities right out of high school with NO idea what they want in life. You know, like..."I like pottery, so I'm going to study ceramics in college". WHY. Why the hell would you spend thousands of dollars on something that most people would consider a hobby, and can easily be self-taught. So, these kids end up in a shit load of debt, only to either work for the college after they graduate, freelance on the side while working a different job to keep a sustainable income, or they teach.....

I'd say just teach yourself animation or game design (because you can), but it's a lot different because there are so many aspects to each art form. Learning under someone who actually knows what they are talking about would be way better than sifting through text books and online tutorials for days just to figure out one problem. <---speaking from experience. I took two Maya classes at my community college, and they were fun, but we basically taught ourselves. By my second course, I was as advanced as the teacher. We had to model our own character design and animate it. I LOVE modelling, it was loads of fun -- but some mysterious force corrupted my model in that whenever I tried to animate him, his geometry would get all spiky and...horrifyingly disfigured. I swear, I searched for weeks to find out what happened, and eventually sought out my instructor for help. He couldn't help me. :/ He suggested I try things I had already explored myself. In this case, I would have loved to be attending a serious art school with instructors who could identify the problem or at least help me trouble shoot it successfully, in a timely manner.

BARGLE.

RAMBLING. You get my drift, guys. yeah. I think it's worth it to go to school for something as intricate as animation or game design... You can't teach creativity, but you can teach techniques. A lot of companies teach new employees, but it helps to have background knowledge. Yes.

Check out my current portfolio! Critiques are highly encouraged, YEAH!!!: http://mangmang.deviantart.com/gallery/41767816

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MangMang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any StarCraft fans here? Anyways, I wanna ask something, something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbeoSPqRs4 is it created by Computer Animators or Game Designer? I love animation, but this is very inspiring too. If I study in CA, would I be able to do something like this?

I had a nightmare the other night that I did not get in, but instead I can switch major. That had me thinking, if GAD majors can do something like that (the video above) then I don't mind switching at all, so can anyone here tell me the different between CA and GAD majors? also can GAD major make movies?

Why aren't Blizzard make a film yet, their CGI are awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more question; does anyone here knows if Ringling has draw on screen computer? What I'm trying to ask is, I went to visits some schools and they have computers that you can draw on screen, so instead of using a bamboo pen or mouse they can draw directly on the screen, does Ringling use that? I know Ringling upgrade their tech constantly, but I just want to know a little bit of how/what they use to animate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are cintiqs. Ringling has many of them. If I remember correctly, they have a whole lab filled with them

22. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterVase17 View Post
    Any StarCraft fans here? Anyways, I wanna ask something, something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbeoSPqRs4 is it created by Computer Animators or Game Designer? I love animation, but this is very inspiring too. If I study in CA, would I be able to do something like this?

I had a nightmare the other night that I did not get in, but instead I can switch major. That had me thinking, if GAD majors can do something like that (the video above) then I don't mind switching at all, so can anyone here tell me the different between CA and GAD majors? also can GAD major make movies?

Why aren't Blizzard make a film yet, their CGI are awesome.
    Actually The video you link seems much more like something I could see coming out of the GAD program than the CA program- even if you exclude the fact that it is a trailer for a game. I'd say very little of that video is actually animation- which is the focal point of the CA program.

If you watch the "among skies" video in the GAD video gallery, you'll see many similarities. A lot of what GAD students work on is Asset creation and design- in turn creating a whole world. Gad is about making a believable world, and making one that a viewer is interested in exploring, while making all of the pieces "fit". What you see in the GAD galleries is often simplified for "in-game graphics" but I think you do learn to create really in detail objects if the project calls for it.
    The way someone explained to me the difference between game graphics and movie cinematic, are that games need to load the movements as they happen, requiring much more computing power. This is why games often have more simplified graphics, and simplified textures than a movie. This is one of the reasons (as I understand it) that triangles are limited in a model for a video game.

A lot of what the CA students and GAD study can be interchangeable into either one's main industry- EG: a lot of CA students get jobs in the game industry, and some GAD alums are working in advertising- a lot of the skills are used everywhere. In a sense Ringling trains you for the entertainment industry more than for your particular program (this is how it was explained to me at least).

In the video, you are also seeing a lot of VFX. I'm not sure how much of that either CA or GAD learns.

And the video wouldn't be made by game designers; but chances are you wouldn't become a game designer if you went into GAD. A lot of "game design" is done with the programers- with a GAD education youd be more likely to become an art director, a storyboard artist, a modeller, a concept artist, a lighter, a rigger, or an animator, all of whom would have worked heavily on that video.

And if you look up the various blizzard employees- I bet you a lot of the freelance workers, or ones who are only hired on by a project to project basis, have done work in animation. A lot of the two fields are interrelated.

CA trains you to make a Pixar level short.
    GAD trains you to create a game level/trailer/demo.

I can't tell you which way to go- no one can, but if what you are trying to make is that video above, I'd say really inquire hard about GAD, as I think it better suits that need.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are cintiqs. Ringling has many of them. If I remember correctly, they have a whole lab filled with them

I went into that lab on the 17th when I visited. I thought they were regular monitors. I didn't realize cintiqs came that large. I didn't realize they were tablets, I thought they were regular monitors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, nah, they come pretty big. 30 inches wide and 18 tall for the 24HD cintiqs. they are really really awesome.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    Actually The video you link seems much more like something I could see coming out of the GAD program than the CA program- even if you exclude the fact that it is a trailer for a game. I'd say very little of that video is actually animation- which is the focal point of the CA program.

If you watch the "among skies" video in the GAD video gallery, you'll see many similarities. A lot of what GAD students work on is Asset creation and design- in turn creating a whole world. Gad is about making a believable world, and making one that a viewer is interested in exploring, while making all of the pieces "fit". What you see in the GAD galleries is often simplified for "in-game graphics" but I think you do learn to create really in detail objects if the project calls for it.
    The way someone explained to me the difference between game graphics and movie cinematic, are that games need to load the movements as they happen, requiring much more computing power. This is why games often have more simplified graphics, and simplified textures than a movie. This is one of the reasons (as I understand it) that triangles are limited in a model for a video game.

A lot of what the CA students and GAD study can be interchangeable into either one's main industry- EG: a lot of CA students get jobs in the game industry, and some GAD alums are working in advertising- a lot of the skills are used everywhere. In a sense Ringling trains you for the entertainment industry more than for your particular program (this is how it was explained to me at least).

In the video, you are also seeing a lot of VFX. I'm not sure how much of that either CA or GAD learns.

And the video wouldn't be made by game designers; but chances are you wouldn't become a game designer if you went into GAD. A lot of "game design" is done with the programers- with a GAD education youd be more likely to become an art director, a storyboard artist, a modeller, a concept artist, a lighter, a rigger, or an animator, all of whom would have worked heavily on that video.

And if you look up the various blizzard employees- I bet you a lot of the freelance workers, or ones who are only hired on by a project to project basis, have done work in animation. A lot of the two fields are interrelated.

CA trains you to make a Pixar level short.
    GAD trains you to create a game level/trailer/demo.

I can't tell you which way to go- no one can, but if what you are trying to make is that video above, I'd say really inquire hard about GAD, as I think it better suits that need.
    Thank you, your explanation are very clear and right to the point. I love to tell story and at the same time create a world like you said GAD creates a believable world. I also loves VFX. Well all this talk, I dont even know if I can get in. But I know for sure that I want to work with something that has to do with storytelling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, nah, they come pretty big. 30 inches wide and 18 tall for the 24HD cintiqs. they are really really awesome.
    I just checked the price for those cintiqs, they around $2400 lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the little one is on sale for 900. i'd buy it if i had a grand sitting around haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I weren't planing on spending a grand on CGMA classes- I might. IDK- a grand for a tablet is still high for me- I might Drop 500 for an intuos- but a grand just sound slike so much. my bamboo is still trucking for me- I'll upgrade in due time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone! I just found this thread, so I'm a bit late in posting, but I'm Val and I'm a CA applicant to Ringling! Super anxious about hearing back... which is sometime soon? Ahh, super nervous.

Here's the portfolio I sent off to Ringling:

http://artschoolportfolioblog.blogsp...portfolio.html

Crossing my fingers, good luck to everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I just wanted to add in a few thoughts since you guys developed a lot of talk this page.

So first I absolutely cannot agree with platformerbg more- this debt is serious. I cannot possibly emphasize how serious the debt is, the tuition for this school is equal to purchasing a house in many places. When you are an incoming student the debt may not seem real to you, but if you are having any help from your parents or guardians you need to have a serious chat about financing. I literally cannot stress how important it is that you are informed about your financial situation coming into school. Loans are great- until you realize the interest is designed so that you cannot keep up with your payments. I would highly recommend not putting your credit score at risk by getting huge loans out that you will never be able to pay down. Over time I lost 25% of my friends because they could not afford to return to school- they are now working minimum wage jobs, have an incomplete degree, and cannot afford to pay down their loans. This a seriously bad situation to get into at such a young age. The common practical advice I have heard recently is not to go to college that you cannot reasonably pay off in 1-3 years. By coming to this school you are disregarding that advice, unless you are very fortunate and/or well off financially. I highly recommend searching around on glassdoor.com and gadging how much money starting salary positions pay. Consider 1/4-1/3 of your pay will be going to pay for your benefits and hiring costs (first year). Really think about how much this education is worth to you. *Do not* put yourself in a situation where you are blindsided with having no degree and are $100,000 in debt.

We are not quite at $20,000 a semester here. Tuition rates go up yearly.
    If you go to school here for 4 years you will have paid approximately $160,000. (Out of state, US student)
    The average scholarship for an out of state student directly from Ringling financial aid is 2,000-5,000 a year.
    That's about one semester free (which is amazing and so appreciated by all of us). However that is a small piece of the pie compared to what you and your family will need to pay off.
    If you schedule your loans to be paid off in 10 years with no scholarship you would need to be paying 16,000 a year, or over 1,300 a month. (This situation is of course provided that no payments were made during your attending the school.)

The average length of time to complete your degree is currently 5 (leaning on 6) years. That's another $40,000 $80,000.

Most of our CA and GAD graduates have gotten a job within a year of graduation- we have a very good rate of alumni employment. Most of our alums praise their education, were able to successfully work out a way to pay for their education, and are in a job they love. Ringling will provide you with a great education and amazing networking opportunities because our instructors have years of experience in their respective industries... but it may cost you 10-20 years to pay for it, not including the 5 years (average) you will be spending here. I am quite happy that you are tracking what is going on in your respective industries, I think that is a really responsible thing to do. I would also say don't immediately let that be a deterrent to your coming here.

I recommended going to community college to knock some credits out of the way in a previous post, the reason is simple- the less credits for far cheaper than at ringling the more you will be able to focus on your studies and passing. My key reason is if you fail a semester you will be adding $20-40,000 to your debt. That can buy a damn nice new car. This is for 4 months of your time. Failing one semester can put you a year to two behind. The reason I stress this is because I think it is a very real possibility that you need to be aware of. It is possible to recover after failing a semester. It is possible to get through Ringling without any extra credits from summer school, AP credit, or a previous college experience. However CA & GAD are not easy ride majors, if you think you will be taking weekends off to chill you will not- weekends are key work time... as are every other night and day of the week. I recommend not failing as much as possible, so do what you must for you first.

My main point is don't become a debt slave unknowingly and don't pay these fees if you are getting a degree in something you don't love. This is the definition of high stakes gambling if you aren't sure.

Now, setting aside all that-
    @Anomalexie - World geography and macroeconomics are on the list for transferable course credits. You can probably also get recognition for the other two as electives, but try and get the credit counted even though they may not be on the list. See these helpful links on the topic of transfer credits.
    http://www.ringling.edu/campus-stude...cedures/#c1102
    http://www.ringling.edu/campus-stude...advising/#c973

You need 2 electives, 3 ICS, 1 science, 1 humanities, 1 cross-cultural anthropology, 1 literary traditions, the basic english and basic art history classes, 2 advanced art histories. You have 4 less required liberal arts that my graduating class had required, which were replaced with more freshman art classes. Enjoy. http://www.ringling.edu/learn/libera...ts/curriculum/

@themegagod - Bear with me. Fuck grades. I'm dead serious. You want to come to learn new techniques and make good portfolio pieces. If you make a good portfolio piece that fits most of the assignment description I can guarantee that you will get a good grade. This isn't high school anymore and grades in art are subjective at best, other than the technical side which you will be responsible for (CA, GAD, & MD).

@Pio - nothing other than fish allowed, though students have snuck animals in before. The problem comes when they catch you and they make you remove the animal and you have no where to send it. Goldstein is all double rooms connected by a bathroom to make a 4 person suite. If you want a single try the quad singles, the bayou, the cove, or keating. Keating has a shared restrooms, most of the single quads have individual bathrooms. The other buildings can be suite shared bathrooms or bathrooms shared with at least 1 roommate.

Cintiq tablets are available in one lab in the CA labs currently. There are about 23 computers in that room.
    Several others (2) are available at the library and the 24 hour lab (6). A few others may be floating around campus labs and they may invest in more in the future. Do not buy a cintiq for yourself unless it is 1) highly recommended or required for your major or 2) you have copious amounts of money and pay for your tuition in cash every semester. Try them at the school first to actually see if you like them, some hate them and never would of expected to. The rest of the monitors in the CA/GAD labs are ~32(?)".

The trailer you posted was created by Blizzard's cinematic team. Their team is highly focused on animation and film quality renders and almost never works on the game graphics themselves (from what I understand). Game majors could potentially work on that environment, but the amount of animation is definitely a CA thing. As far as I know only one GAD has pursued animation as dedicated career path since graduation.

Approximately half of all CA students enter the game industry. CA focuses on animation, character acting, story boarding, storytelling, lighting, and visual development. There are other skills you will learn of course in both majors, and there is a small amount of cross over at this time.

GAD focuses on modeling, texturing, layout, game lighting, environmental storytelling, character modeling, and some game design and specialFX (special FX is more of a motion design thing).

Just my personal opinion, but:
    @VPal I will be *shocked* if you don't get in, your chances are very high.
    @Kellydkim your portfolio is very nice, I think your chances are very high for getting in- hopefully the lack of gestures won't be a problem.

Little anecdote for you all- the year I was accepted into the theme of the application packages was black and white. The letter I received had a black envelope and many of my peers (me included) thought because the envelope was black that we had been rejected. I hope they don't do that to you.

Apologies if I answered stuff that was directed at specific people, I was just skimming for stuff that didn't look answered.
    Good luck, keep on keeping on.

Last edited by Lectriece; February 28th, 2013 at 04:56 AM. Reason: fix

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lectriece For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    called admissions this morning, they said they're still finishing up on decisions.

@lectriece: thank you so much for all your insight and help i was wondering though, out of curiosity, how most people at ringling can manage to keep going for all four years though? I know everyone says loans loans loans, but how many loans do people take out just to keep afloat? Do you know any good loan programs to look at just to get an idea of what we're getting into? Should we wait to put the deposit down to "save our seat" until we get the financial aid packages? I really want to study CA at Ringling, but the idea of not finishing because of financial problems is what's making me extremely nervous.

Last edited by anomalexie; February 28th, 2013 at 11:11 AM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @lectriece: I will phuck them, I and will do so hard. lol j/k. I look at my bad highschool grades more as a visual representation of my procrastination, and lack of personal drive- and thats what I mean when I say mentioned I plan to turn over a new leaf, AKA become an A student again. not so much am I talking about grades on a file, but more the mental attitude that comes from those who refuse to fail.
    Also thank you for clearing up some of the main the differences between CA and GAD. The two programs are very similar, yet VERY different at the same time, and I often have trouble seeing the line between the two.
    I've sort of decided that CA seems more like being a choreographer/director of a stage performance, whereas GAD is more like a set designer and costume/make up artist. not sure how accurate that all is, but it seems to describe their differences pretty well for my uses, lol.

Right now tuition seems to run approx. 16K from what I read, or 32K a year. It wouldn't surprise me to find it costs much more by the time we are all finishing our last years. that's approx 4k a class for a full-time 4 class semester. I well imagine you can find a community college liberal arts class for much less than four thousand dollars.
    The big numbers seem to come in when you calculate in the additional housing/ meal plan costs (12K) and supplies cost- I think it was 2k. most calculations round it close to 50k when all is said and done.

@ lectriece (or anyone else who knows how the college works): A quick question- you mention that the avg. amount of time spent in Ringling is 5 years. of course the school wants you to believe that it will be four years, in and out, but that sounds like the same idea you warned about before; that classes don't often runs as "by the book" as their course outlines would have you believe. What is it that causes many student to take longer than the four years to complete the education? (eg: attending part time, failing a class/ classes, leaving for financial reasons but later re-attending). And if one fails only one class, rather than all the classes within a semester block, that one class would be all that would need to be re taken, right? if this class is a per-requisite for later classes does this effect ones ability to continue?

Oh and the package follows a black and white design again- with a bit of yellow accents thrown in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    themegagod, I haven't heard about that 5 year average thing... I think most people do finish in 4, but there are A LOT of people that switch in/out of majors and less so that fail. Lots of people, for example switch out of CA during sophomore year. I think we lost a few last semester that decided to go to illustration and luckily don't have to do another year. If you wait until the end of sophomore year, you will most likely have to do another year. LOTS of people switch between design/finearts/business type majors. Others weren't accepted into CA the first time but reapply as Ill's and need to go another year. If you aren't accepted into CA/GAD but that is **absolutely what you want to do and nothing else**... then I really discourage you from coming here for another major. It can sometimes be hard to switch if you are not a media arts major and if you're not sure you want to be an ILL, GAD, etc. you might as well save the money, brush up on your skills, take some community college and reapply into the specific program. Money/family issues sometimes make it hard to finish... people can't get loans renewed (they get them for 2 years and then can't get them for the 3rd)... stuff like that. Failing out is another issue... but as I said, keep up with your classes and you won't have any problems. I'm not exactly sure how failing works... the problem is mainly how Ringling's program works which does not usually make it easy to take a class again without waiting another year. For example, if you fail CA 1 in the fall, you would not be able to continue into the spring semester or take the course during the spring semester (it is not offered semester 2 at ringling)... your only option at this point would be to wait until the next fall semester to take it again with the incoming class. If you fail a liberal arts class, I'm not sure what happens but it can't be too bad except for tanking your GPA. Failing a liberal arts class is pretty hard though unless you just don't show up or do any of the required work.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Praemium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Lectriece

Thank you for the kind words about my portfolio. Put a little ease in my heart~

I don't mean to try to pry into your private life but how are you paying for college as well? You make it sound like it's a very hard experience trying to pay back debts or earn the money to go to school but I am assuming that you are going to Ringling. I was just wondering what your financial situation is like and whether you personally think it is worth it to go to Ringling. I don't want to be the cynic in the conversation full of hopeful dreamers but I personally can't see it being worth it. I love the idea of chasing your dreams but I feel as if my life isn't just about me but rather the people around me. taking out loans and taking care of my parents in their old age and so forth. I don't think I could spend a fourth of my life paying back money for five years of education. I would love to go to Ringling but right now with the extremely high tuition, I don't think it's even a possibility.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to KellyDKim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really lovely portfolio Val! You are so advanced for a high school senior, it intimidates me a bit haha. Which school is your top choice?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay.. all of this recent convo on money and failing has been a bit of a downer. a needed reality check but-
    c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!

Does anyone know when new gallery videos tend to go up on the ringling.edu website? I'm eagerly awaiting the next set of thesis films, but I realized I have no idea when they normally pop up.

*Wow this is crazy, I just realized we are a very talkative group of hopefuls. last year's thread only went up to 12 pages. we are ten pages longer than that, and the acceptances haven't even been coming in yet!*

Last edited by themegagod; February 28th, 2013 at 11:36 PM.

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26