Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sarasota is just slightly closer than where I am currently located in south Florida. And no one was really available to take me to Disney at random points in the year XDD by next year I should have my own car and hopefully some friends who might invest in an annual pass c: Disney is always great to visit at any time of the year 8D

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!

Ringling is one of the 6 schools I'm currently looking to apply to (the others being SVA, SCAD, CalArts, Art Center, and Cornish).
    I began to dream of Ringling during middle school, at which point I intended to major in computer animation, being quite passionate about animated film.
    Nowadays, I'm not entirely sure whether I want to apply for CA or illustration. I'm leaning towards illustration, because I don't feel proficient enough in emotions, anatomy, or perspective to animate well. Additionally, I think if I could ever land a job at an animation studio, I'd prefer doing concept art and the like over animating.

Indecisiveness aside, I feel overwhelmingly unprepared for this whole applying-to-colleges business, regardless of which major I choose. I'm in my first-ever life drawing class right now, which marks the first time I've ever really begun an effort to start learning how to draw humans (well, unless you count the period of time in elementary school in which I focused intently on practicing the art of anime catgirls). I don't feel very confident about any other aspect of my art, and I don't have anything I'd call a finished portfolio piece.

I'm also hesitant about the idea of moving so far away, especially with my significant other being a grade lower than I am. But applying to Ringling is an opportunity I won't pass up, so we'll see what happens.

Hopefully my confidence and body of work can build in these next few months!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by foxes View Post
    Hey there!

Ringling is one of the 6 schools I'm currently looking to apply to (the others being SVA, SCAD, CalArts, Art Center, and Cornish).
    I began to dream of Ringling during middle school, at which point I intended to major in computer animation, being quite passionate about animated film.
    Nowadays, I'm not entirely sure whether I want to apply for CA or illustration. I'm leaning towards illustration, because I don't feel proficient enough in emotions, anatomy, or perspective to animate well. Additionally, I think if I could ever land a job at an animation studio, I'd prefer doing concept art and the like over animating.

Indecisiveness aside, I feel overwhelmingly unprepared for this whole applying-to-colleges business, regardless of which major I choose. I'm in my first-ever life drawing class right now, which marks the first time I've ever really begun an effort to start learning how to draw humans (well, unless you count the period of time in elementary school in which I focused intently on practicing the art of anime catgirls). I don't feel very confident about any other aspect of my art, and I don't have anything I'd call a finished portfolio piece.

I'm also hesitant about the idea of moving so far away, especially with my significant other being a grade lower than I am. But applying to Ringling is an opportunity I won't pass up, so we'll see what happens.

Hopefully my confidence and body of work can build in these next few months!
    You actually sound pretty well put together. You know where you want to head (roughly), and you are working towards achieving that goal. Give yourself some credit; there are a lot of people who apply and get into many schools without ever having drawing classes of any kind. as long as you work hard at it, I'm sure you can get in to where ever you are trying to go.
    I'd advise applying for CA, Computer animation, and if you get in and decide you would prefer illustration, then change. If you apply as an illustration major, and want to go into CA that's impossible, so trying for CA keeps your options more open IMO.

And about the whole "finished portfolio piece" I don't think they ever feel finished. lol. I think leonardo divinci worked on the mona lisa on and off over the course of 3+ years, and it's still unfinished. As long as you care about your work I think you will always be critical of it, and always want to make it "better" or more complete.

When I first started looking at Ringling I too was with a significant other, and working nonstop on my portfolio, did put heavy strain on the relationship- so I feel your pain on that one. But if you don't try that could build resentment later on, so as you said it's an opportunity not to pass up.

Look also into the GAD program. they seem to deal with a lot of concept art as well, though it is more specified to be translated into a gaming environment than animated one.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Foxes! I definitely agree with what tmg said: apply for animation first just in case because you can always have that option to move to illustration instead. CA's a rough program to get into so getting in is always a plus.

It's really great that you're doing a life drawing class PRIOR to the deadline. Ringling loves loves loves to see drawings from life and half of your portfolio should at least consist of from life drawings. The life drawing class you're taking now is going to help you immensely and will help provide you with pieces to use in your portfolio. Don't put yourself down, just because you haven't had many art classes doesn't mean you won't make it in. Prior to getting rejected from CA, I hadn't taken any drawing classes and I am mostly self-taught. After the rejection (well, not rejection it was more like "Pick any different major and you are in!") letter, I decided take this as a learning experience and I researched (more like scoured) the internet for classes and tips for CA portfolios. I hadn't put in ANY figure drawings or gestures at all and so I decided I needed to take a class for that and now I have an entire 18x24 sketchbook with pieces to choose from. Just work over these next few months to create some of your own personal pieces that demonstrates your skills the best (while remaining within the constraints they gave such as no anime, dragons, gore, etc.) along with your life drawings and you should be set

As tmg pointed out, it's best to take this opportunity for yourself because who knows what might happen and you might end up regretting it. Never limit yourself because of someone else, if it's something that's gonna make you happy, the other person needs to accept it and be happy that you're happy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    themegagod - Thank you, you've definitely made me feel better! Good point about applying for CA first - I think I'll aim for that option.

anomalexie - Attending an arts high school, I've had a slew of art classes, but it's certainly a problem that I haven't focused on learning the human figure. I'm definitely glad I ended up being able to take life drawing so early in the school year, with Ringling's emphasis on the inclusion of life drawings being a little intimidating for me.
    I was afraid if I applied for CA I wouldn't quite be good enough to get in, therefore entirely missing out on a chance to attend Ringling at all, so it's rather comforting to hear there's a possibility of still being accepted so long as I choose a different major!
    I hadn't heard about the no-gore policy. Do you know how strict they are on that? This isn't relevant to observational drawing, but a good chunk of my art has a theme of light animal gore (blood, occasional exposed muscle or ripped skin, scars/other light wounds). Should I steer entirely clear of that sort of theme? It wouldn't be a problem for me to do so, I just want to make sure I don't include anything along those lines if it's something they don't want to see.
    I can't decide right now what will actually make me happy - moving away to a good school, or staying near the people I love. That will just have to be something to think about once I've gone through the application process.

Thanks so much for your advice, both of you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm agree with the points they told you, somebody gave me the same advice like a month ago, that if i wasn't sure about going to a major or CA (not my case) think about it very well, going from CA to another major is easy but from any other major to CA is pretty hard. Just relax and take it easy, i know it's a life change choice, just think about all posibilities and think positive, get away all these negative energies. Good luck

Last edited by Rebooking; September 25th, 2012 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by foxes View Post
    I hadn't heard about the no-gore policy. Do you know how strict they are on that? This isn't relevant to observational drawing, but a good chunk of my art has a theme of light animal gore (blood, occasional exposed muscle or ripped skin, scars/other light wounds). Should I steer entirely clear of that sort of theme? It wouldn't be a problem for me to do so, I just want to make sure I don't include anything along those lines if it's something they don't want to see.
    I had read (from other art school portfolio suggestions) that it wasn't good to include gore (in case the reviewers are squeamish or whatever) but I'm not too sure. It doesn't say that on their website (just says stay away from anime, fantasy art and art copied from photos), but you might want to call Admissions and ask just in case o: Maybe they do and you can use a few pieces Hahaha i agree with rebooking, it is a life changing choice ^-^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    I had read (from other art school portfolio suggestions) that it wasn't good to include gore (in case the reviewers are squeamish or whatever) but I'm not too sure. It doesn't say that on their website (just says stay away from anime, fantasy art and art copied from photos), but you might want to call Admissions and ask just in case o: Maybe they do and you can use a few pieces Hahaha i agree with rebooking, it is a life changing choice ^-^
    In my research about portfolios, i ask 2012 CA freshman students and so, one point in common they mostly add life and gesture drawings, a few pieces of perspective, and a color study (as many mediums as you can), they all stay away from fantasy, cartoon, anime and this kind of things. Anyways, there's a variery of portfolios. I also find they all told me like the same thing: "is not that hard to get it, the hard part is stay in". I think is more about show movement, variety and be confident in your work. Let's find we all get what we want

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not sure if I'm the case in question, but I know I was personally advised to stay away from gore on last years hopefuls thread. I had a piece (you can see it in my sketch book link) with an exposed anatomical heart sitting in a pool of blood... writing it it sounds much gorier than it feels to me, lol. I had cropped the piece, excluding the heart, and I got into the school; though not the GAD program. I think it was due to my latency in applying that I wasn't accepted; not due to my subject matter.
    I've yet to speak to an adviser, so IDK if the gore thing is "a thing", but I too have a bit of work in steering clear. I understand it's the safest bet, but I also am most attached to my work if it is at least a bit grotesque. I think it would be best to talk to the school to find out, but since they don't have anything directly stating that gore is unacceptable, I'd think so long as it were tasteful, you may not have an issue.
    BTW from what I read, you don't have to focus too much on taking classes so long as you draw from life. draw people dressed, sitting, drinking coffee, doing things. lol. go to the zoo sketch animals- etc. they want to see you capture life, and for CA, motion, and even a bit of emotion, if that makes sense.
    all schools don't like to see much in the realm of fantasy and direct cartoons, unless they are done very well. the reason I understand for that is simply they want to see what technical skills you bring to the table. they can teach you to draw a cartoon very easily if you can already capture reality. If you can only draw cartoons, it's much harder to teach you how to draw from observation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, I was wondering when this thread would start up Really looking forward to seeing more helpful tips.

I'm in community college and I was gonna apply for the 2013 year for CA. Unfortunately though, my gpa dropped due to failing a math class during the summer semester (why math, whyyyy?) and now I'm only taking 2 classes this semester (one of them being that math class...I decided to take 2 classes so could really focus on passing that math class and not worry about any other classes. My other one is Figure Drawing) and I doubt that would bring my gpa high enough. I want it to be around 3.1 -3.2 when I apply lol. So I guess I'm a 2014 hopeful now. I'm just gonna be lurking around this thread XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Suhhmantha View Post
    Yay, I was wondering when this thread would start up Really looking forward to seeing more helpful tips.

I'm in community college and I was gonna apply for the 2013 year for CA. Unfortunately though, my gpa dropped due to failing a math class during the summer semester (why math, whyyyy?) and now I'm only taking 2 classes this semester (one of them being that math class...I decided to take 2 classes so could really focus on passing that math class and not worry about any other classes. My other one is Figure Drawing) and I doubt that would bring my gpa high enough. I want it to be around 3.1 -3.2 when I apply lol. So I guess I'm a 2014 hopeful now. I'm just gonna be lurking around this thread XD
    Well besides failing that math class, what were your grades like? if they were As and Bs, turning that F into at east passing should leave you around an A-B.
    When my father died I failed two classes and It left my GPA at a 2.5 (the other courses I was taking at that time turned into Cs). If I get those TWO zeros removed, and replaced with a decent grade, I should be okay- shouldn't that be your case as well?

I'd say apply anyway- since CA can only apply once a year, it raises your statistical chances of getting in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BTW, I was wondering how everyone plans on paying for this school. I mean I know it's early, and I understand if it feels a bit too personal, but that is really the only down side to this school.. the price! anyone have any idea how they are dealing with it?

As I mentioned, my father died, and it left me with an inheritance. I'm still looking to take out loans, try for financial aide, grants, etc; just wondering if anyone has any other advice, as most scholarships are for "about to graduate" high schoolers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My grades were ok. I started Com. College in january of this year and only took 2 classes and passed both with an A and a B. (I had 2 other classes, but withdrew from them for personal reasons. my gpa not affected of course) And in the summer I took math, had a B in the class, the problem is, if you fail the final exam...you fail the class regardless of your grade. And I blew it =\ (The weekend where I was supposed to study for it, my parents forced me to entertain visting family because they didn't wanna do it themselves...>.>) And seeing as it's only 3 classes I completed in total, that F dropped my gpa dramatically of course XD

And I'm hoping that's the case. I pass it this time and the zero get's changed. I guess I'm just worried I won't pass it lol so I assume I have to apply next year.

I'll keep applying this year in mind.

When it comes to paying...no idea. My parents don't want me to apply for financial aid. They want to pay for it out of pocket. .___. Knowing full well we can't even afford it. And I def don't want them doing that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It really is the only downside, but I plan to pay it with loans mostly (and try to work on the side to pay off what I can :T). My financial situation isn't the greatest. Hopefully get quite a few scholarships, I have Florida Bright Futures, Florida Prepaid and I'll get that Florida Resident Access grant so hopefully I'll get a good chunk out :/

You should still apply for financial aid anyways. Maybe your parents will decide it'll be better with some financial aid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a hopeful for CA! I was accepted back in 2011, but decided to attend another school instead. I'm hoping to transfer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daiaenna View Post
    I'm a hopeful for CA! I was accepted back in 2011, but decided to attend another school instead. I'm hoping to transfer

Call them!!!, i asked them something related to that, they told me if i can't attend or by any reason i won't attend next year and if i get accepted, they will save the room for 2013, but not sure about transfer! Definitely you should call them about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally this topic came! I have been waiting for this to come. I got accepted in Ringling for Illustration but didn't go in the end because of my financial difficulties.
    I will try to apply for CA next year and I hope to get some Ringling and outside scholarships as an international student.

For those applying for CA but don't know what kind of portfolio to be submitted, please go take a look at http://animatedbuzz.com/
    If you want your portfolio to be reviewed, you can ask the Disney animators to review your portfolio there. But unfortunately, have to pay for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daiaenna View Post
    Out of curiosity, what school did you go to instead? Also you may want to make sure about the whole transferring thing; I'd say call the school, talk to a counselor, because what I've grown to understand is there isn't any real "transferring" any longer. It's more you can have some GE/prerequisite classes removed /turned into free periods; or rather open slots for more electives. I'm not positive on that situation, so I'd definitely call the school. You should tell us what they tell you; to clear up any confusions going around on here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesketchbook View Post
    Finally this topic came! I have been waiting for this to come. I got accepted in Ringling for Illustration but didn't go in the end because of my financial difficulties.
    I will try to apply for CA next year and I hope to get some Ringling and outside scholarships as an international student.

For those applying for CA but don't know what kind of portfolio to be submitted, please go take a look at http://animatedbuzz.com/
    If you want your portfolio to be reviewed, you can ask the Disney animators to review your portfolio there. But unfortunately, have to pay for it.

Thanks for the link, it shows some great and some really intimidating pieces. Gives me a better idea of what I should be working on... I love seeing links to portfolio work, so I have a better idea of what I should be doing, or what i'm up against to secure a seat; but I hate to think my portfolio may b e"competing" against some of those. It's really intimidating to think there are such good artists out there, some possibly trying for the same things I am. raises that pesky question of "being good enough".

so ilovesketchbook, are you applying for this up coming fall 2013, 0r 2014; you say next year, and i'd like to clarify that.

Oh, and if you got in, as anomalexie was saying earlier in this thread, I had called my counselor, Bucky, earlier this week, and he says, that I don't have to reapply (and neither should you). All you have to do is send the college an email asking them to reactivate your application, and then you will basically be applying again. He wasn't positive how the whole updating of the portfolio was done; seemed to say I'd have to go back into slideroom, and possibly make a new account; as I said he wasn't positive, but in any case, that should save you the time of writing an essay and all the rest. For your own sake I'd say call the school anyway. I personally love being a squeaky wheel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't compare your art with other people. that's what you live for and art represents you originally. I will be applying for upcoming 2013. Oh really? are you sure that we don't need to reapply? No need to write college essay,huh? however, we still have to pay for the application fee right? I will double check with a admission counselor, thank you for the info. All the best for your application and portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly you guys are worrying too much about GPA and stuff. Plenty of students have lower than 2.8 GPA from talking to some classmates. If you have 3.0 or better, you will get in no matter what. But you do need to keep your grades above 2.X to stay at Ringling or any other school.

What you peeps should focus on: 1) $$$$$$ Get any $$ your grubby hands can get.
    2) 10 pieces you feel shows your best work. But you need to throw in a few pieces that are WiP or sketches(roughs)(doesnt have to be current)

Do not EVEN STRESS yourself. The whole process is easy.

However CA and Video game design programs are tough to get in those days. They tend to fill up on those programs and have to apply a full year prior. But other programs are pretty much open and accepting apps up to a MONTH before semester begins and you can get in.

NEVER COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS' ARTWORK........everyone is different. They have revamped the program here so you basically have to take basic classes such as perspective(starts you off with 1 point for 5 weeks then 2 point and so on), figure drawing, 2-D design (teaches you balance, composition, colors, rule of thirds). This applies to the illustration program and CA.

There is indeed an app essay, but its very short. Also I think the app fee is $60-70 if I remember correctly.

Good luck to future students.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx all; I'll try not to compare, but it's hard; art is like a very personalized signature of the soul; that people judge, lol- seeing others that are more masterful at one technique or another, always makes me question if i'm "good enough". But I'll keep my own skills in mind, and try not to get discouraged (easier said than done).

@ilovesketchbook: it seems to be what I was told, but I won't even attempt to lie and say I'm positive. Basically he said everything was on file, and all I had to do was send in an email saying that I would like to re-apply/ have my application reactivated, and the program it was for. he seemed to say that I didn't even have to update my portfolio; that that was up to me. Now does this mean the fee is waved? IDK, sounds like it, but again, I'm unsure, and the same goes for the essays, grades etc. I needed to tell them what I needed to update, but everything was there and just needed reactivation.

@sketchking: thanks for the info, are you a current student? your name seems familiar, like maybe a prior hopefuls thread. And about the WIPs I never read that, is that a little known secret, or is it an important aspect?
    and those darn $$$... I try almost not to think about that.
    I heard that the GAD program is really starting to pick up since there's been a few alumni classes now. Is it becoming as competitive as the CA classes (seems everyone here so far is a CA hopeful, just wondering if you know more).
    and it's true what they say then, that the school is actually "easy to get into, hard to stay in". I've heard that, but if getting in is easy, I fear what the staying in is like!

(maybe I'm just a very nervous person, lol)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes just email an advisor saying that you'd like to reactive your application, state your name, current school and the major you're like to apply for and they'll open it up for you again, no fees, no letters of rec, just send in current transcripts and updated portfolio. I just got my letter in the mail from Ringling saying all they are missing are my transcripts.

@ sketchking: how are the first year classes like? does it give you plenty of free time, say for a part-timejob?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely won't attend for the next fall but still will apply, i think i'll finish this major even just to get the diploma, i mean it's just a year more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    @sketchking: thanks for the info, are you a current student? your name seems familiar, like maybe a prior hopefuls thread. And about the WIPs I never read that, is that a little known secret, or is it an important aspect?
    and those darn $$$... I try almost not to think about that.
    I heard that the GAD program is really starting to pick up since there's been a few alumni classes now. Is it becoming as competitive as the CA classes (seems everyone here so far is a CA hopeful, just wondering if you know more).
    and it's true what they say then, that the school is actually "easy to get into, hard to stay in". I've heard that, but if getting in is easy, I fear what the staying in is like!

(maybe I'm just a very nervous person, lol)

Yes I am a current Illustration student. As for "staying in", I think people get nervous and discouraged after seeing their classmates' work during OPEN CRITs. Every class has CRITS after each project where the class goes through each person's work (it is either projected on a big screen or the actual work is posted on a wall for all to see) and crit on it. I think that is where most people fall apart mentally thinking about other peoples' work. I think its mental because all of my teachers have been supportive of my skill level. (I would say that I am in the lesser 50% of my class due to the fact I stopped drawing 6-7 years ago.) It depends on the person and how well he/she takes in the school as a whole. Seeing other peoples work actually motivates me instead of scaring me away.

If you have a strong mentality, you are fine. Just think about yourself and if you feel you have done enough or are happy with your work, it will show as well as improve your outlook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    Yes just email an advisor saying that you'd like to reactive your application, state your name, current school and the major you're like to apply for and they'll open it up for you again, no fees, no letters of rec, just send in current transcripts and updated portfolio. I just got my letter in the mail from Ringling saying all they are missing are my transcripts.

@ sketchking: how are the first year classes like? does it give you plenty of free time, say for a part-timejob?
    I had 5 classes of which 3 were basic drawing classes and 2 were general ed classes (english and film/narrative) For the drawing classes (perspective/fig drawing/2-d design), we had a project for each class every 2 weeks or so. It really depends on if you like to spend days doing 1 drawing or are able to sketch something up in a hour. Personally I am the kind of person that likes to do very detailed work by using a lot of hours on one drawing. I learned in my first month that I can not do that. I forced myself to draw/brainstorm in a shorter amount of work. This resulted in a less complex and simple drawings but if you are very skillful and educated artist, you should be able to provide higher quality of work. The teachers will get used to your work and grade accordingly to your skill level. If you get your work done during the week, you should be able to work part time on the weekends.

I have to warn you that there are so many activities going on here. (guest speakers, club events/activities, gallery shows)(some events are class requirements as well). I would try to keep the week open as you possibly can and worry about working on the weekends. Personally I did not work because I didnt think it would be smart to do so in the first semester. I worked over xmas break and summer break which provided me with enough spending money during the semesters.

You will have to figure that out for yourself in the first semester when you arrive. It depends on you as well.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm my replies are not showing up. It seems that it needs a mod to approve and check......but now my replies are gone? Whats going on? I am trying to help peeps out.

This is not cool, I just spent 30 mins typing those replies out. I am not typing them again. Sorry guys. They were very helpful posts.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aww :C maybe try another day, sketchking? or just tell us briefly what you wrote? XD

31. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are we on page three yet lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im going to apply to Ringling this year. Im 23 and had a 1.9 grade point average. I make video games and comics with my art in the meantime and was simply blown away at the quality of work students from this school produce. Is it possible i could get accepted with a good enough portfolio?

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26