Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls - Page 19
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nah that seems about right. every site seems to say mid march to early april

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by squareyes View Post
    nah that seems about right. every site seems to say mid march to early april
    Sorry to those of you in wait, but in years passed, that does seem to be roughly the time frame... There are usually a couple who are top picks or express mail or something, who get notice of acceptance a bit earlier, but for the passed three years, it seems everyone gets their letters early April.a few mid to late march, most in April. I think I've even read of people getting their letters mid to late April. Kind of sux if that person is also trying to dorm, doesn't give them long to contemplate their options.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't want to intrude but would anyone mind critiquing my portfolio for me? I'm going crazy waiting for my CA acceptance/rejection letter for Ringling and I just wanna know my chances.

Kellydkim.deviantart.com/gallery

Thank you (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got a package in the mail. this time its an artbook with various works by different artists......sigh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyDKim View Post
    I don't want to intrude but would anyone mind critiquing my portfolio for me? I'm going crazy waiting for my CA acceptance/rejection letter for Ringling and I just wanna know my chances.

Kellydkim.deviantart.com/gallery

Thank you (:
    This is not an intrusion of any kind, welcome fellow hopeful!
    I'm just a lowly this year accepted, so until people who know a bit more about what it takes to get into Ringling respond, I'll just give you my two cents, for what they are worth (two cents presumably).

Firstly, I doubt anyone can really tell you your chances of getting in, except maybe the people who are judging portfolios.
    If I were judging, I'd say chances are good- but I have no idea. I guess it also depends on your GPA.

Second, I really like your digital pieces. Until closely examining them, they definitely fool the eye; many I thought were photographs. Your traditional pieces are good as well, but I would say not AS good as your digital pieces.

third, you have have a lot of still lives and really interesting/ good portraits, but I do wonder if your lack of many full figure drawings, and lack of gestures may effect your chances of getting in. Another questionable area may be how your pieces may be judged if they are based off of photographs. I can see a camera in one of your reflective surface portraits (I'm assuming self portrait) and Ringling is not a big fan pf work based off of photographs.

Finally, Good luck! Hope you get in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So it could be mid April by the time I got my acceptance/rejection letter? ...I really don't want to wait that long. It's just going to make everything really difficult to make final decisions, especially since if I get rejected, I'll have roughly 2 weeks to decide on my 3 backups, while trying to get all of my senior project/homework stuff done before graduating, work and everything else i have to juggle...Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrews View Post
    So it could be mid April by the time I got my acceptance/rejection letter? ...I really don't want to wait that long. It's just going to make everything really difficult to make final decisions, especially since if I get rejected, I'll have roughly 2 weeks to decide on my 3 backups, while trying to get all of my senior project/homework stuff done before graduating, work and everything else i have to juggle...Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
    Hopefully it won't, and I'd say call them and try to get an answer if you still haven't heard anything by April. They may not be able to tell you one way or another before your letter comes, but it doesn't hurt to try.
    You also have to, if you are planning on living on campus, tell them by may 1st that you want a dorm room. That means that if you do get in, but don't find out until mid april you only have two weeks to decide if you are living on campus. April is going to be a busy month for a lot of you guys.

Last edited by themegagod; February 21st, 2013 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really don't think we'll have to wait til April. I was going through the all the old Ringling threads and all of them started receiving letters about March 3/4, so I'm gonna keep counting down til then.

@ squareyes: lol the biggest troll of all

9. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeahhh from what I heard from the other people that got in last year, it was the beginning of March so I don't think it's a big deal. I don't know I'm just worried about getting into CA. The admissions people told me that I would definitely be able to get into the GA and Illustration program but I don't know if I want to go to Ringling if I don't get into CA. Bah.

I called the admissions office yesterday and I'm pretty sure that they make the decisions by like late February and the letters just get received by beginning of March. I don't know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I applied for CA fall 2013.

Sorry but I would like to ask what format will the decision be sent in?

Will they send e-mail as well as normal mail? I'm quite anxious because I don't find my local postal sytem particularly trust worththy when it comes to international mailing.

Last edited by KrayTSAO; February 21st, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
    People these days should prepare chill pills in their medical cabinets.

Email:kaiweitsao@gmail.com
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I met Eric Kaster, the assistant dean of admissions, last summer at National Portfolio Day. He gave me his card, then. I emailed him to just remind him that I was reapplying, and he told me, "We should start reviewing for Computer Animation around the 24th and will get decisions out by early March" (<---from the email).

Fingers crossed, everyone!

@KellyDKim: Dude, your portfolio is rad! Great digital work. I agree with Themegagod that it would have been nice to see some gestures and figure sketches, but I know of a few people who got into CA with a batch of fully-rendered images...though I think that's pretty rare. I don't think you have too much to worry about. If you don't get into CA but they suggest signing up for another program, I wouldn't suggest going for it. Ringling is expensive! Too expensive to just "settle" for a different option. Then again, GA and CA are fairly similar in that a lot of graduates have the option to end up in either field, so I guess in the end, it doesn't matter whether you get into CA or GAD. The only thing to consider is the curriculum is pretty different, so...I'd just go with the program you think you'd get the most out of. You know, choose the one you'd be most interested and driven to do your best in. But in the end, it's a win/win in my opinion.

I was accepted last year, but not into CA (which is my top choice). I opted to wait, redo my portfolio, and try again this year. A year isn't very long, anyway... You can do a lot in a year to improve and prepare to increase the chances of reaching your initial goals. Mmm, learning experiences...

I am BABBLING. I just worked out for like...the first time in a thousand years, so I've got way too much energy and am in a SUPER cheery mood. WOOHOOOOOO!

Anywho... the countdown BEGINS!!! Although, I've totally been counting down since January...lol. I'm so impatient.

Check out my current portfolio! Critiques are highly encouraged, YEAH!!!: http://mangmang.deviantart.com/gallery/41767816

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ kray: Hi kray! 8D /dramatic dark voice. welcome to CA purgatory~ acceptances are nifty colorful packages (like puffy 8 x 11s so I've been told, PUFFY COS THEY'RE FILLED WITH GOODIES) and rejections (but you can change your major!) come in a letter. If you're international, you can email or call them as soon as you hear letters have been sent out and receive an answer

@ kelly: hi! I agree, fantastic digital work but a lot of your work is references from pictures, so I don't know how much harsher you might be judged. You have a lot of interesting and beautifully rendered pieces though! I like the triangle one <: i also agree with mang and tmg: i don't know how having no figures is going to affect you, but it would have been nice to have seen some. considering most of your portfolio is OF people though, maybe they'll let it slide? good luck though! ^-^

@ mang: LOL impatient students aww yee BUT YAYYY WE'VE ONLY GOT LIKE...11 DAYS TIL THE FOURTH 8D. I really can't believe they start reviewing that late lol. It must be like when the Vatican picks the new pope: NOBODY GOES IN AND NOBODY GOES OUT UNTIL DECISIONS ARE MADE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayTSAO View Post
    I applied for CAm fall 2013.

Sorry but I would like to ask what format will the decision be sent in?

Will they send e-mail as well as normal mail? I'm quite anxious because I don't find my local postal sytem particularly trust worththy when it comes to international mailing.
    You are just applying? OMG, perhaps I'm seeing it wrong, but your sketchbook here is amazing for someone who is not currently a professional. That's my opinion at least. Only issue I could see them having would be lack of direct observational work.

Besides that, on the question you asked; I received a mailed package with no email. I'm not sure about international situations, but I think most things are mailed...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL sorry im not trying to be a troll

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I haven't had much time to read through the whole thread, but I just wanted to drop in again and wish y'all the best of luck with coming acceptances and whatnot, it's a really exciting process and I'm sure I've probably seen some of you wandering around the labs during open house already (or probably will in april at least). Anyways, if you've got any other questions let me know... and even though portfolio is done with, keep working your butts off to stay practiced (or learn something completely new!!) cheerio y'all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ughhhh now Im panicking about what everyone is saying about figure drawings. I had some figure drawings but I opted not to put them in mostly because I forgot to include it and photograph. PANIC. I . haven't applied to any other schools because this is my number one school but now I guess I'll apply to SCADor ssomething. This is so nervewracking. Good luck to all of you though getting in. I just wanna make sure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyDKim View Post
    Ughhhh now Im panicking about what everyone is saying about figure drawings. I had some figure drawings but I opted not to put them in mostly because I forgot to include it and photograph. PANIC. I . haven't applied to any other schools because this is my number one school but now I guess I'll apply to SCADor ssomething. This is so nervewracking. Good luck to all of you though getting in. I just wanna make sure
    Don't fret! If you do not get in this year, just take their advice to your advantage and reapply next year. You have the talent to get in, and I think your portfolio shows that. Just try not to think about it too much, because either way, you'll get in eventually.

Their CA program is super hard to get into. Hell, this is my third time applying. O.O Long story, but the first time I applied, I used my high school portfolio and had NO idea what they wanted to see. Then I applied again last year, but mainly because I promised my Dad I would before he passed away (so the portfolio was thrown together...). THIS YEAR it's totally different. I actually spent time on it, but whatever happens, happens.

Doesn't mean we suck at what we do...just means maybe the timing isn't right.

HELL YEAH, LEARNING EXPERIENCES.

You'll do fine, bro! Chin up!

Check out my current portfolio! Critiques are highly encouraged, YEAH!!!: http://mangmang.deviantart.com/gallery/41767816

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't feel so bad,cause I'm on the same boat with you.

I didn't submit any figure drawing neither, though I did include some fully rendered half-body cast statues.

People these days should prepare chill pills in their medical cabinets.

Email:kaiweitsao@gmail.com
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone know what the Business of Art and Design major is like? It looks really interesting, but I can't seem to find any reviews of it from students.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy shit those environments are like holy tits.
    how. they're so awesome.
    i'm sorry its just your environments are really awesome and im just horrendous at environments so i'm like amazed.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lizfaye View Post
    Does anyone know what the Business of Art and Design major is like? It looks really interesting, but I can't seem to find any reviews of it from students.
    I've heard really nothing about the program. It does seem interesting, but Information does seem lacking- If I were going into a major where minoring would be an option, I was thinking of looking into business, but as a GAD that would be not really an option.
    But yeah, good luck finding information on their business program. If you find anything, I'd love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    holy shit those environments are like holy tits.
    how. they're so awesome.
    i'm sorry its just your environments are really awesome and im just horrendous at environments so i'm like amazed.
    I was starting to think I was the only one who saw that. My reaction was quite similar. I second the tits which are holy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ tmg: hahaha i thought i was being too blunt like i'd like to be taken on as an apprentice at this point LOL i wish i could make environments like that but whenever i'm faced with that challenge im just like "... /stares at a bunch of blobs. ....... fuck. /closes photoshop." give me a statue and i can accurately draw it, but environments and backgrounds are like my kryptonite. i can spend HOURS, perfecting a face i've drawn until it's too my satisfaction, but i just wanna throw my monitor out my window with enviros. I really should practice environments this summer. start at 30 mins and work my way up. yep :> do that environment challenge TAD has in that one forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ praemium: thanks praemium! any advice you'd give to any incoming freshman since you're in your sophomore year? anything you'd wish you'd known in advance? also what dorms would you suggest to try to get for on campus housing? o:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh oops, I forgot to keep up with this thread! What's crackalackin' Anything new with acceptances and such? o:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh what, hey durr Rebecca.

But uhh, hi guys, Ringling CA freshman here, classmates with ohrii. If y'all have questions you can ask me too, but I'm not really active on conceptart anymore. I just popped in 'cause I wanted to see what the future freshies are like.

Just a few things for you to know...

I don't know if someone addressed this already but I saw someone ask how the acceptance letter arrives. It's a big package that comes with a lanyard and some other stuff. I don't know if they'll send you the same things this year, but look for a package big enough to fit a book.

I didn't have any figure drawings in my portfolio and I got in without a problem! But I had strong still life drawings and portraits. With CA, Ringling puts a priority on observational art over concept art-styled digital paintings and stuff, at least for the freshman portfolios. But yeah, as long as you have any studies that are strong and have some variety, you should be fine. Having studies in color helps!

That's all I can think of for now.. if I think of any better stuff I'll let y'all know. Good luck everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KrayTSAO:

WHY are you applying to art school?! Your artwork is advanced enough that I really think you could get into the field with what you have. Very impressive! I would love to see a digital painting tutorial made by you. O__O

29. The Following User Says Thank You to MangMang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do they tell you why you weren't acepted?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So many people @___@

KellyDKim - I love your glass/mirror drawings!

KrayTSAO - I second everyone here in saying, AMAZING WORK! Your environments are quite stunning. I too would love to see a tutorial of some kind xP Also, I don't think your lack of still lives/figure drawings will hurt your chances of getting in IMHO, simply because you are really good, and your busts/anthromorphic characters still show a solid sense of anatomy and proportion.

squareyes - From what I've seen posted in past threads - they don't, but you can call and ask for a critique.

Potentially one week away guys! o0o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I didn't mean to come off nasty with anything I wrote. I'll make sure to analyze more, be less stylistic, and not get so worked up over the "incompleteness" of my work. I've kind of been busy these past few days so sorry for not responding to each of you individually.

As for all the new people in the thread. Holycrap, KrayTSAO and Dkim. What the hell are the two of you even doing applying to art school.....your works are fantastic, those environments, those amazing digital painting skills. I really have no chance getting in with you guys in the run. You'll get accepted so quickly your head will spin. And I agree with everyone here about those awesome digital painting tutorials, I want to know your secrets. Har har har. -3-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by squareyes View Post
    do they tell you why you weren't acepted?
    Can't speak for all cases, but the best guess from past experience is a big NO. Maybe if you ask, you might get some info, but Even then, finding who judged your portfolio may be hard to do.

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26