Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls - Page 18
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 540 of 847

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls

  1. #511
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 98 Times in 83 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MangMang View Post
    I was talking to Zezia. But hello to you too, man.
    If I don't get into CA, I MAY get into GA instead...but...considering the cost, I'd almost sooner wait another year instead of settling for another major. I dunno.

    I've heard good things about the GAD program, though. I bet it's pretty sweet.
    With the cost of just about any college education nowadays, as there seems to be no job security whatsoever anymore, you should truly pursue what you want, unless it is a really high plan B. The GAD program does look great- that's why I wanted to go into it, but that's me. Video games are my love- I remember people by the video games they played, and games they introduced to me, not so much many other aspects of their life (kind of odd since I've never been really a "gamer").

    A part of me has always loved comics, and animation, but both are just hobbies. I feel for the level of production I would want in either of those two paths would be best pursued through self study, and a lot of the fundemental skills needed can be found in GAD anyway.

    Last year I was offered a seat in any program besides GAD or CA, but I chose to wait a year. If you have to choose between getting an education in something you may not be passionate about, or wait and choose an education you would be, which is better?
    Though, as I type I realize there was a bit of hypocrisy in that statement- as I was pretty much positive I would go to any school at this point if I didn't get into ringling. I miss being a student, and working mind numbing soul crushing dead end jobs, really really sux. I was weighing whether or not I liked Illustration enough to pursue that if put on the waitlist again.

    so yeah, for roughly 4,000 a class, for an industry as fickle as the art industry, don't choose classes you might regret. Not that they wouldn't be worth it for the "right" person, but what is one man's treasure, is also another man's trash.
    Shoot, a lot of people working in the industry are either self taught or drop outs- so if you just keep working your craft, you may make it anyway! for a hell of a lot cheaper too!

    And hello yet again.

    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

    My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

    To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

    Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #512
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 58 Times in 45 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MangMang View Post
    I sure am sick of waiting.... First they tell me decisions will be made by mid-March...THEN I here April. >.<

    Does anyone know how many people may have applied this year?
    No, decisions are made at the end of February, letters mailed out first week of March. April might be if you live in a different country?? I usually hear about 200 people apply and 60-80 are granted admission. I can understand your impatience I don't know whether to put in my "change major" form for my current university orr not put in a deposit for next year? idk, but we've got a little bit over half the month left ^-^

    @tmg: lol asian Fs. "MOM IM SO GLAD I GOT A C!" "WHAT?! THATS HORRIBLE. HOW DARE YOU GET A C WHAT AM I PAYING FOR" "MOM THATS LIKE SURVIVING THE APOCALYPSE HAVING ALMOST DIED AT THE HANDS OF A GROUP OF ZOMBIES. I'M JUST SO HAPPY TO BE ALIIIVE." "....so this is a good thing?" "SO GOOD YOU DONT UNDERSTANDDD" "you need to try harder to secure your life." "then i need a shotgun with unlimited rounds, u feel me?" "..."

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:


  4. #513
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 98 Times in 83 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post

    @tmg: lol asian Fs. "MOM IM SO GLAD I GOT A C!" "WHAT?! THATS HORRIBLE. HOW DARE YOU GET A C WHAT AM I PAYING FOR" "MOM THATS LIKE SURVIVING THE APOCALYPSE HAVING ALMOST DIED AT THE HANDS OF A GROUP OF ZOMBIES. I'M JUST SO HAPPY TO BE ALIIIVE." "....so this is a good thing?" "SO GOOD YOU DONT UNDERSTANDDD" "you need to try harder to secure your life." "then i need a shotgun with unlimited rounds, u feel me?" "..."
    something tells me I am not the only fan of the walking dead.

    I've heard in CA the number sometimes is closer to 300 applicants. Supposedly, the number accepted some years is a bit higher in the 90-100 range, so maybe statistically it's the same acceptance rate? I'm keeping my finger crossed (in the good way) for all you CA applicant in any case.

    do you have to pay your deposit soon, or is it going to line up okay- because if you have time and you are really set on Ringling if you get I'd wait until you hear back about your application for this year.

    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

    My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

    To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

    Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:


  6. #514
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Love the Walking Dead too x3 both the comic and the series. I'm ironically also obsessed with a zombie mmocurrently ah, the wait is killing me too x.x I'm trying to pass the time with volunteer stuff and freelance work. I also got some of the book recs and have been doing a ton of little exercises and such.

    I considered GAD if I didn't make it into CA because they teach you a lot of the same things and the environment work is phenomenal but I assumed it'd be full up lol

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #515
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 98 Times in 83 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by escaphilia View Post
    Love the Walking Dead too x3 both the comic and the series. I'm ironically also obsessed with a zombie mmocurrently ah, the wait is killing me too x.x I'm trying to pass the time with volunteer stuff and freelance work. I also got some of the book recs and have been doing a ton of little exercises and such.

    I considered GAD if I didn't make it into CA because they teach you a lot of the same things and the environment work is phenomenal but I assumed it'd be full up lol
    If there isn't a walking dead/zombie/supernatural/Apocalypse club this is something that must be made. I read the comics up to were Laurie died (because that's all my library had at the time) like 3-4 years ago. when the show came out I was on the fence, could they really do such an awesome comic series justice? yes. I am now hooked. I think it's sort of this generation's star trek phenomenon.

    I keep saying I'm going to volunteer, but I keep forgetting to take that seriously. It's so much like work, without the benefit of pay I keep "forgetting" to sign up. Sounds like you are keeping really busy though. lucky.

    And GAD does fill up rather quickly- Perhaps it may soon wind up having an admissions deadline again. The way I look at it (and it may not be 100% accurate) is sort of like GAD is more being a set designer on stage production, with certain costuming and scripting elements. CA is more being a choreographer, and director. In many places they overlap, but CA is more about telling a story with what is going on, and GAD seems to be more about telling a story whether anything happens or not.

    Since I'm also a regular watcher of scyfy's face-off, and hot set, I kind of really like the idea of what the gad program does, though there are a good few skills I do hope to pick up from you guys who get into CA.

    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

    My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

    To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

    Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #516
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 58 Times in 45 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    something tells me I am not the only fan of the walking dead.
    i was going for a left 4 dead sort of thing, but walking dead's cool too <: i only saw one episode and went to the haunted house at halloween horror nights, but it's a sweet show nonetheless

    well nothing's really sure lol i guess we could ask admissions :Y thanks ; u;

    i think i have to pay in april?? and if that's the case, that'd be perfect because the day i get my acceptance letter with the paper to mail the deposit i'm sending in the same day LOL

    @escaphilia: aww that sounds great it's always good to keep yourself occupied and learning ^-^ i'm considering GAD too but I really have my heart set on CA :c

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #517
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I don't think there is at Ringling, but if I get in I will definitely help start it lol

    Yeah the show is great, despite the first two seasons being a bit slow. The comics are way more intense, fo sho. I'll bring em to campus and then you can refresh XP

    I love face off and hot set! Ive always wanted to get a group together and design using the thrmes from the
    show sadly not thatany people i know watch it

    Yeah, it definitely can be taxing and sometimes im like bahhh dont want to go, but i like keeping busy and being tooinvolved.

    I think you are spot on with GAD and CA differences

    Also guys I def don't mind scanning pages for y'all to practice too

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #518
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Also on my so apologizes for the crappy typing lol

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #519
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    i just got a ringling college calender in the mail with a giant packaged. thought i got accepted for a minute lol

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #520
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 98 Times in 83 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by squareyes View Post
    i just got a ringling college calender in the mail with a giant packaged. thought i got accepted for a minute lol
    aww, sorry about that false excitement! But keep your hopes high, I didn't get my calendar until after I was accepted.

    What you'll be looking for (if everyone gets the same acceptance package thing) is a black and white striped envelope on one side yellow on the other- and the closing flap will say "you'll want to open this". It's about an 8 x 11.

    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

    My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

    To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

    Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:


  14. #521
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    So...I got a calender in the mail too...What does that mean, exactly? Would they be sending everyone who applies for a spot a calender, or does this mean that I've pretty much been accepted?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #522
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 98 Times in 83 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrews View Post
    So...I got a calender in the mail too...What does that mean, exactly? Would they be sending everyone who applies for a spot a calender, or does this mean that I've pretty much been accepted?
    It could mean that- or it might be what they send to people who request information about the school. Ringling has a habit of sending items that sort of give a moment of confusion because they are items that other schools tend not to send. Like 2 years ago the information book was a hard cover 250 page book, titled experience (I still have it in my book shelf, as it looks like a real book). Then last year they sent a flash/thumb drive which linked you directly to the website, and the gallery video and personal experience interviews. Maybe the calendar is the same sort of thing?

    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

    My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

    To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

    Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #523
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Last year they sent a calendar as well, I use it pretty often. I didn't like that thumb drive very much, it was finicky and only worked on like 1 browser

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaqschlanger For This Useful Post:


  18. #524
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I got the Calendar too, which was pretty great, I needed one. I was putting off buying a nice one. Mine came a little bent, though, I was pretty pissed. >BI

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to steampoweredseagoat For This Useful Post:


  20. #525
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 98 Times in 83 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    So, I'm more than likely going to the open house for prospective students tomorrow, If my car makes the trip (it has been having it's issues). Should I tell people I'm already accepted, or, should I act as though I'm just looking like everyone else?

    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

    My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

    To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

    Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #526
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'd probably act as though I was just looking. Actually, I went to a SCAD information meeting (don't know if it's the same kind of thing, but still) and when the representative found out I was already accepted, I stopped getting a lot of information. They just kind of assumed that I already knew everything that I needed to know.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #527
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    My suggestion would be to let people know That way you can get more information on being a Ringling student and whatnot, plus you can start meeting people at the school

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #528
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    yea if people know you got accepted they wont care as much about telling u things since ull be forced to learn everything anyway.

    But yea its a big calender. it has artwork im guessing from past students ranging from different fields. its pretty long.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #529
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    So, I'm also applying to SCAD and apparently they claimed that the art work in my portfolio looked incomplete. I'm not sure what that means. Don't most schools want to see your life drawings, gestures, and still lifes? Anybody got any helpful tips? Should I trust someone when they say that? It sounds like a very poor critique of my art. However if SCAD is having a problem with this portfolio, I'm sure Ringling will have a huge problem with my art works incompleteness.

    Last edited by steampoweredseagoat; February 17th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. #530
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 98 Times in 83 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    so, the open house was pretty cool. Had a tour from a sophomore named Eric in a VIBRANT orange hat. I made inappropriate comments in the elevator while we we all squished together- Eric told me I had to go into the corner- it was fun. School is beautiful, and the artwork is a great inspiration and it hangs from just about ever square inch of wall space. It was a bit cold today, which was a let down because no one really wanted to explore outside much, but I had a great time indoors. Spoke with three of my future teachers (though I didn't tell them I was accepted; it just sort of didn't come up). Two were epically bearded, one dealt with the GAD 3d freshman class (I forget what it is called) and he was showing off the chess pieces- some really cool work- and he seemed genuinely excited about what the students produce. The other bearded guy was in one of the main computer labs, this was the one with the cintiqs with one that guests could play one (I first thought they were computer monitors). He was "doodling" concept art and I believe he said he worked with CA and GAD juniors mostly, but I may have misheard- and he showed me an interesting way to approach digital paintings, by sort of fleshing out a silhouette. The other guy, was a bit heavyset, and only lightly bearded. He said he did something at midway games before teaching then some blah blah blah. He seemed to teach something dealing mostly with the seniors, and he was explaining (all of this to another parent/student, so that's why its a bit vague) how a lot of the alumnis were working in such and such a place now. He also explained how GAD differs from ILL, and in his explanation, I really feel like I made the right choice in majors.
    Everyone in the school seems to be fun and nice, and has a good sense of humor (by my standards and those are the only ones that matter any way ) I did hear a couple of students basically confirming the no sleep horror stories. I can't say if it is the best school ever or anything like that yet, but it seems big enough, and it seems really well kept. I'm going to be happy to be going.
    After the tour I walked around the bad neighborhood- then met up with a realtor and walked around the bad neighborhood some more. then walked through it again later. then in a last pass before calling it the end of a sarasota day, it seemed, crack heads approached me and my mom, and seemed to try and test our street smarts. It was quite funny. She had gold plated grills. I'm personally not afraid of the area, but if you are used to gentrified middle class suburbia- the bad neighborhood, would be a BIG change. For those of you who are used to living on the railroad tracks of a tourist town (such as myself) it really ain't that bad- just know where you're going, and don't be dumb. You can see some of the programs of reform taking place in the area, but it still has a long hard way to go. Is it safe? No. Is anywhere? Depends on how you look at it. Me, I saw not gun shots in buildings, not body bags, and no public indecency. You can see people do beak up houses, and there seems to be a good deal of homelessness, though the few I met seemed okay as far as homeless people go. If you leave things outside, I have little doubt they'll be stolen in a timely manner, as many houses seem to be missing their gas and electric meters, if not anything else someone can get their hands on. but that is just life in some places.

    Quote Originally Posted by steampoweredseagoat View Post
    So, I'm also applying to SCAD and apparently they claimed that the art work in my portfolio looked incomplete. I'm not sure what that means. Don't most schools want to see your life drawings, gestures, and still lifes? Anybody got any helpful tips? Should I trust someone when they say that? It sounds like a very poor critique of my art. However if SCAD is having a problem with this portfolio, I'm sure Ringling will have a huge problem with my art works incompleteness.
    As you say, you haven't been drawing very long, but if you look at your work versus a professional's work what seems different? Why might someone call theirs complete? would you hang your own work on your wall?
    Any critique can be meaningful, so I wouldn't discredit it just yet- but I would try and ask for more information on what they mean. The heavy set professor I saw today, said that at one time he was doing portfolio reviews for acceptance purposes (though he doesn't at all now), and he said that he looks for observation drawings. He loves to see those in a portfolio, because that is an example of where you stand at a skill level and as an artist- you can easiest gauge how well done observation work is done, because you know what it is someone is trying to draw. it also is wanted because it shows you are working through the basics.
    HAve you gotten a ringling portfolio review yet?

    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

    My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

    To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

    Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:


  27. #531
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    As you say, you haven't been drawing very long, but if you look at your work versus a professional's work what seems different? Why might someone call theirs complete? would you hang your own work on your wall? Any critique can be meaningful, so I wouldn't discredit it just yet- but I would try and ask for more information on what they mean. The heavy set professor I saw today, said that at one time he was doing portfolio reviews for acceptance purposes (though he doesn't at all now), and he said that he looks for observation drawings. He loves to see those in a portfolio, because that is an example of where you stand at a skill level and as an artist- you can easiest gauge how well done observation work is done, because you know what it is someone is trying to draw. it also is wanted because it shows you are working through the basics.
    HAve you gotten a ringling portfolio review yet?
    Well, my work compared to a professionals would be their's is actually good because they've been doing it forever. It's colored, it's got it's own flare, proper proportions, good use of color, it's, umm, professional and my stuff isn't. I don't understand how comparing my work with others will help me at all. That's the worse thing you could do, to me at least. It's never helped me and I just get discouraged. Though I do understand that sometimes it's good to compare to see what someone did right and what you did wrong. But in order to do that, I feel, you'd have to draw something similar. Like a similar pose or the same still life. I do agree that all critiques have some merit to them but sometimes there is such thing as a bad critique and a good critique. I think it's good to be able to distinguish between the two otherwise your art work will suffer and you'll just drive your self crazy. After all, some things people say are pure opinion and not really actual fact that can help you improve.

    A complete work is, well, complete. It has all the components the artist wanted in the picture. It might be in color it might not be. The entire figure might be there it might not be. And yes I would hang a few of my pieces on the wall because I feel a lot of them are complete art works, even my gestures because I think they all flow together very nicely. However, I probably wouldn't put them on a level of professional art work I wouldn't do that with any of my art work because I am still learning and a student. So yeah, I'm still not sure what this person means by "incomplete" and sadly I didn't get the name of the silderoom maintenance guy from my admission counselor (my admission counselor was trying to move some of my stuff from one SCAD portfolio to the next since I had accidentally posted my stuff in the wrong area).

    Anyway, I'll try and contact my counselor and see if he knows the name of the guy and where I can contact him. I want a more detailed review. As for my actual portfolio, everything in my portfolio has been from observation since I know that's what art schools like. I had a few people in this thread review it, you were one of them, and two of my professors but other than that not that many people. I've never been to a portfolio day, to be honest I didn't know they existed till a couple of months ago. I missed most of the ones by me by the time I knew they existed. If you want to give my portfolio another look, just click the link in my signature, and tell me what you feel is incomplete that would be great otherwise I will forever be confused. *le sigh*


    Last edited by steampoweredseagoat; February 17th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  28. #532
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 98 Times in 83 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by steampoweredseagoat View Post
    Well, my work compared to a professionals would be their's is actually good because they've been doing it forever. It's colored, it's got it's own flare, proper proportions, good use of color, it's, umm, professional and my stuff isn't. I don't understand how comparing my work with others will help me at all. That's the worse thing you could do, to me at least. It's never helped me and I just get discouraged. Though I do understand that sometimes it's good to compare to see what someone did right and what you did wrong. But in order to do that, I feel, you'd have to draw something similar. Like a similar pose or the same still life. I do agree that all critiques have some merit to them but sometimes there is such thing as a bad critique and a good critique. I think it's good to be able to distinguish between the two otherwise your art work will suffer and you'll just drive your self crazy. After all, some things people say are pure opinion and not really actual fact that can help you improve.

    A complete work is, well, complete. It has all the components the artist wanted in the picture. It might be in color it might not be. The entire figure might be there it might not be. And yes I would hang a few of my pieces on the wall because I feel a lot of them are complete art works, even my gestures because I think they all flow together very nicely. However, I probably wouldn't put them on a level of professional art work I wouldn't do that with any of my art work because I am still learning and a student. So yeah, I'm still not sure what this person means by "incomplete" and sadly I didn't get the name of the silderoom maintenance guy from my admission counselor (my admission counselor was trying to move some of my stuff from one SCAD portfolio to the next since I had accidentally posted my stuff in the wrong area).

    Anyway, I'll try and contact my counselor and see if he knows the name of the guy and where I can contact him. I want a more detailed review. As for my actual portfolio, everything in my portfolio has been from observation since I know that's what art schools like. I had a few people in this thread review it, you were one of them, and two of my professors but other than that not that many people. I've never been to a portfolio day, to be honest I didn't know they existed till a couple of months ago. I missed most of the ones by me by the time I knew they existed. If you want to give my portfolio another look, just click the link in my signature, and tell me what you feel is incomplete that would be great otherwise I will forever be confused. *le sigh*

    completely understand, and I'm not trying to say to compare to discourage or to belittle what you have done. the only reason I say to compare is to see how they use certain techniques to make a piece feel complete. As in, rather than comparing your work to that of a professional, break down the various aspects of their work to see what it is that you personally like about the piece and find out how you might be able to implement those same techniques into your own work, without coping.
    Though it could have been said better, basically, I was saying, look at professional art work, and break down it's various elements, line, composition, rhythm, tone, mood, etc, and describe what you like or dislike about the piece and why- I cannot speak for everyone, but doing this during a visual arts class in community college, (he had use write a descriptive essay on a piece every week) made me look at art more objectively, and helped me see key areas of my own work where I could grow.

    Personally, I feel a piece is never complete- only deadlines and materials, and over working finish a piece. other than that I don't think I've completed a piece ever. And it''s great that you would hang your work up- You should! i once tried basically wall papering my room in my art.
    And the truth is, basically the only difference between a professional and a student is are you getting paid. If you can make a living off of what you are doing now- then in many ways, you are already a professional!

    And I remember critiquing your work, and for someone still in the earlier stages or drawing you are doing quite well as far as progress, not to mention you are drawing the "correct" things, so you should get better and better rapidly.
    The only thing I can think they mean is that your drawings still have a sketchy kind of quality, as tough they are no yet fully rendered. You should try pushing your values (if working in black and white) and try and work towards making your contours and outlines as accurately as you can. I still don't fully understand gestures as far as making them "complete" and yours seem fine- I can't see how they can be any more or any less complete.

    So anyway, yeah, you are right- don't compare for comparisons sake- but look at a favorite artwork of yours of something similar to what you have done, like perhaps hands, and simply study what makes it a favorite piece of yours. play around with trying out some of those same elements- without copying directly. Don't compare, so much as analyze.

    I hope I clarified my advice.

    And someone simply saying "that looks incomplete" really doesn't help much.

    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

    My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

    To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

    Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. #533
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    themegagod - It sounds like you had a really nice time, that's great! Digital painting by doing a silhouette first sounds really interesting, I'll have to look into that technique. The area sounds about what I'd envision it to be. How were the housing prospects that you saw? It's funny you saw a chick with a grill, yesterday a guy with a silver grill wanted me to buy cheap knock off handbags while I was pumping gas lol

    steampoweredseagoat - the word "incomplete" is completely vague and I'm sorry that's as much as they gave you. I had one professor who used to say all my work was "decent". He never elaborated and since it was a class I couldn't get out of I stayed and didn't grow at all as an artist with him. In fact, it made me have tremendous self-doubt for a little while. I've also had another professor who I love to death and he always gave some of the best critiques; however, with certain people in the class he would just nod or say good job. Later, he told us that for projects he felt were 'beyond hope' he would just say that in lieu of having them start over. I think both of those practices are unhelpful and I agree that there is good criticism and bad. As an artist, you will eventually learn to take in good criticism and tune out what i call white noise.

    I also would agree with themeagod in that you can certainly look at others in order to gauge style and elements. I loved art history for that reason and one movement/styles I loved was Baroque. I'm still trying to learn how to master that, especially with digital painting *o*

    That being said, if your works are considered incomplete by admissions then mine sure as heck are. When I went to the Ringling viewing session I asked them if I should include freelance work and illustrations specifically, and was told that I could but it was better to include just observational drawings. That's what 90% of my portfolio is so I hope that doesn't hurt me in the end.

    As for you work, again it's so hard to know what the guy meant by 'incomplete' without outright asking him. It doesn't feel incomplete to me, because the nature of observational work is that it ISN'T finished and is just a show of how well a person understandings different aspects of life. The only thing I would say is to on work on value/shading. For instance, in the picture with the boxes and the image with the girl I would have added more to the middle values. Otherwise it gives everything a 'blocked in' feel and that can distort the anatomy/structure. The image with the cat and even the hands are really stylistic, which is totally fine, but if you want a portfolio only full of observation I would probably leave it out or color it/add a background/whatever to separate it from the other pieces. You don't want potential recruiters to think that you can't draw realistically/can only stylize your work. Everyone does gestures differently, so it's hard to say on those. I would only suggest if you want to show them you have a good grasp of anatomy then forgo shading on them, or put light shading so they can see more of the linework.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. #534
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    @steampoweredseagoat- When I went to ringling and visited the campus I also traveled to savannah and visited scad. I was very surprised about how differently they view portfolios. While scad may be telling you that your works look incomplete, I would take that with a grain of salt when it comes to the eyes of ringling. Scad told me they only wanted finished pieces while ringling was more interested in more gestural pieces or ones that were showing the process a bit better. You might actually be much better off than you think.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  31. #535
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 58 Times in 45 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    And I remember critiquing your work, and for someone still in the earlier stages or drawing you are doing quite well as far as progress, not to mention you are drawing the "correct" things, so you should get better and better rapidly.
    The only thing I can think they mean is that your drawings still have a sketchy kind of quality, as tough they are no yet fully rendered. You should try pushing your values (if working in black and white) and try and work towards making your contours and outlines as accurately as you can. I still don't fully understand gestures as far as making them "complete" and yours seem fine- I can't see how they can be any more or any less complete.
    Exactly. A lot of what I see in your tag is a sketchy quality. To start: there is nothing wrong with that. I think if you cleaned up the lines and added shadows and details it might looks complete enough for SCAD's admissions. HOWEVER, Ringling likes that sketchy 2-5 minute figure because it shows fluidity and motion so it really all depends on who's tastes you're catering to. Some schools want a picture of a bike wheel with a chair and a plant, some want illustration/finished pieces, some want you to show your process and want all the dirty details in between through blue pencil, and others want purely observational pieces that don't necessarily have to be rendered out. It just depends on their criteria.
    Obviously it wouldn't hurt to flesh out and clean some of your pieces, paying close attention to shading and tones and playing with values and adding a background. I think that's why I'm more drawn to your box and hands pieces and choose them as my favorites from your art tag, because there is a lot of different values in those pieces

    I really like to look at the gestures of Victor Maury http://victormaury-figuredrawings.bl...&max-results=7 he's a current student at Ringling and I just adore his art. I always look to my favorite artists to study and experiment and hopefully reference in my work by mimicking what it is they do. "Oh I didn't realize the body actually has that many subtle curves, maybe I should pay closer attention to the curves on the model next time." "Wow, he didnt flat-line the neck, hes actually showing the neck muscle, something new to incorporate and remember for my gestures" "I can't believe he managed to show so much detail for that group of muscles on the arm, I should really attempt to bring attention out to the muscles instead of making it a straight arm like I always do as if muscles were non existent" things like that. Break it down bit by bit, make notes of where improvement is needed and sticky it to your canvas where you can see and remind yourself what to work on. Slowly and surely you'll be pumping out accurate figures and allow more time for rendering! My teacher says its a way of training your hand and eye to capture curves accurately, it takes time and lots of drawing and patience, but I guess that's why he assigned 70 15 minute gestures.


    also does everyone who applied to CA realize we only have two weeks left til we find out who's in?

    Last edited by anomalexie; February 18th, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:


  33. #536
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 98 Times in 83 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post

    I really like to look at the gestures of Victor Maury http://victormaury-figuredrawings.bl...&max-results=7 he's a current student at Ringling and I just adore his art. I always look to my favorite artists to study and experiment and hopefully reference in my work by mimicking what it is they do....


    also does everyone who applied to CA realize we only have two weeks left til we find out who's in?
    You can tell someone really takes advantage of figure drawing classes!
    I really like what he does with those push the pose exercises- and it's kind of scary to think, that by this time next year, we all (who get in) may increase to an equal level as to what he displays. Wow.

    And two weeks? wow. I guess that means the count down begins!!

    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

    My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

    To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

    Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  34. #537
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 58 Times in 45 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    You can tell someone really takes advantage of figure drawing classes!
    I really like what he does with those push the pose exercises- and it's kind of scary to think, that by this time next year, we all (who get in) may increase to an equal level as to what he displays. Wow.

    And two weeks? wow. I guess that means the count down begins!!
    Hahahaha well when classes are $500+ and you've been saving up for this class, you take advantage of every moment because you don't know when another opportunity like this will come and also because you knew at least half were going into your portfolio :>

    It should be around 2 weeks, so 13 days from today is March 4th which should be when everyone at least on the east coast finds out if they send out letters on the 1st

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  35. #538
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Someone on the Ringling admission FB page asked about acceptance letters and this was the response:

    Ringling College Admissions: Not yet! We will have decisions by April 1, hopefully sooner!

    I'm so hoping it's sooner

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  36. #539
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 58 Times in 45 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by escaphilia View Post
    Someone on the Ringling admission FB page asked about acceptance letters and this was the response:

    Ringling College Admissions: Not yet! We will have decisions by April 1, hopefully sooner!

    I'm so hoping it's sooner
    That HAS to be a lie.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  37. #540
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yeah, I'm hoping whoever runs Ringling's Facebook page is just misinformed or put the wrong month because...........do not want @__@

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •