Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls - Page 17
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What i liked about Ringling, is that you don't have to be an amazing artist to start, but chances are you will graduate one.

I was going to consider LCAD, but the application and daunting amount of portfolio work was too much

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaqschlanger View Post
    What i liked about Ringling, is that you don't have to be an amazing artist to start, but chances are you will graduate one.

I was going to consider LCAD, but the application and daunting amount of portfolio work was too much
    Honestly I had no idea what you had to start out as, good bad or indifferent, all I know, is that the artists that come out of the school seem amazing. I'm still surprised I got in.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's still important for those to consider that it is not always the school that will make you a great artist.
    Just because one is in a big name school like Cal Arts or Ringling does not necessarily mean they will turn out great, or just because you go to a school other's might consider "shitty" that doesn't mean you won't become great either.
    Just try not to take on that attitude that these art schools are like an assembly line, taking in the bad and spitting out good. (:

Remember, take all the opportunities to learn, may it be from faculty or the students around you! Because (as cliched as it sounds) only you can make yourself improve and if you do not take the initiative to take in all that you can, then you will most likely not become the great artist you want to be.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diehasen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehasen View Post
    I think it's still important for those to consider that it is not always the school that will make you a great artist.
    Just because one is in a big name school like Cal Arts or Ringling does not necessarily mean they will turn out great, or just because you go to a school other's might consider "shitty" that doesn't mean you won't become great either.
    Just try not to take on that attitude that these art schools are like an assembly line, taking in the bad and spitting out good. (:
    I'm currently attending a regular university and I've been taking art classes at the same time as my general education ones and I have noticed a lot of improvement, even if it isn't the best school for art <: Just got to take advantage of every opportunity to improve~

Last edited by anomalexie; February 8th, 2013 at 12:30 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaqschlanger View Post

Agree completely I also feel like you're only as good as the work you put into things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It does not matter where you go to school, or how much money you put into it. What matters is your genuine drive to succeed and do your absolute best. Your passion will shine through your work, and instructors, peers, and recruiters will be able to see that. No college, no matter how fantastic their reputation is can ever land you a job. In most cases, especially in the entertainment industry, you rarely even need to go to school. Recruiters and companies don't care what college you went to, if any at all. They care about whether or not you can provide a good product, and have the talent and self-motivation to prove worthy to their company.

It's just sometimes easier with a degree, but holy wow, I can't stand those "I went for a masters in fine arts degree, I'm hot shit" when they can't actually draw well at all. *shudders* THOSE are the people who won't get anywhere... they think just because they got a degree, they're the best at what they studied. Not true, I say! You can teach art, but you can't teach passion and talent. That comes from within.

ANYWAY. It's been a long stressful day...so I'm rambling a lot.

Arrrgh, has anyone called Ringling to find out if they've looked at their application yet? I'm considering it, but don't want to be a nuisance.

Erik Kaster, the Dean of Admissions, told me a while ago that they would start reviews around January 24th, and will have final decisions by late February or early March....

I sure am anxious. Just really ready for a change in life, I guess. I'm almost done at my current school...which is only a community college....but man, I mean, I guess it'll be okay if I don't get in, but I would rather get the chance to move, quit my job, and do work that I feel will be working towards something better.

RAWR!!! O.O /anxious. Yes. *cough* If I don't get in, I may just start building up a 3d modeling portfolio and give freelancing a whirl. >.<

Anywhoooo...I'll stop rambling now. Yeesh!

Check out my current portfolio! Critiques are highly encouraged, YEAH!!!: http://mangmang.deviantart.com/gallery/41767816

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MangMang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Remember, take all the opportunities to learn, may it be from faculty or the students around you! Because (as cliched as it sounds) only you can make yourself improve and if you do not take the initiative to take in all that you can, then you will most likely not become the great artist you want to be.
    No worries about that mind set in myself, at least I hope- only time will tell for certain.
    My goal right now is to do better than I can imagine possible from myself- I'm actually afraid of being too strict on myself and winding up burning out/ over-stressing perfection.

Though unlike anomalexie, I'm not currently taking classes any where, but this up coming summer semester, I'm planning on taking some of the classes CGMW provides. I love their workshops that I've gone to, (the free ones- cuz I'm broke) and their classes don't seem expensive for the amount of knowledge students seem to learn. I figure If I take a full course load- as full as they advise is three classes, (an adviser said even that can be a lot for their 8 week period, and they normally advise taking two)- and find I fail out of a class for some reason, losing 600 dollars on failing one of their classes, is a whole lot cheaper than being unprepaired for ringling, and failing a course there which will cost 4,000. And no, this is not to try and transfer credits into ringling, this is just to add to the education.

I love to learn, and that's actually one of the reasons I realized this year whether I got into Ringling or not I was going to school- I've sort of hit a place where I'm better than people who don't try at art, yet no where near where I'd need to be professionally. Its a strange middle ground.

I do fear the competition for jobs after graduation though. I don't even mean a glamorous job, It seems like everyone wants to be in the entertainment industries, and there is no way there are enough jobs to appease everyone trying. that is scary to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like that approach you're taking tmg, definitely getting a steady start if you decide to take those classes at CGMW. which classes are you looking at? I wanted to take their environmental sketching class but $600 also no time between work, school and working on a contest entry that i'd really hope wins Dx

My goal right now is to do better than I can imagine possible from myself- I'm actually afraid of being too strict on myself and winding up burning out/ over-stressing perfection.
    what i've come to hold as a motto recently regarding art is to not strive for perfection but to be fearless and experiment. sadly i'm nitpicky with details so haha but when it comes to experimenting with new pieces, don't be afraid of failure even if we strive for perfection, nothing is wrong with failing. sometimes its the best thing to happen to us ^-^ don't go with the mindset for perfection, go with the mindset that you'll do your best and hopefully you'll gain something from that experience. then when it's looking good you can be a perfectionist 8D

@ mang: derp, i feel like calling admissions right now probably isn't a good idea since nothing is really solid. i feel like that'll just add to my anxiety LOL I know they send out letters and packages second to last day of february and that's what i'm counting down to. I don't think they'd tell us anyways if we called XD

It's just sometimes easier with a degree, but holy wow, I can't stand those "I went for a masters in fine arts degree, I'm hot shit" when they can't actually draw well at all. *shudders* THOSE are the people who won't get anywhere... they think just because they got a degree, they're the best at what they studied. Not true, I say! You can teach art, but you can't teach passion and talent. That comes from within.
    Well it really depends, yknow? I had a teacher who's going for his masters and he didn't have an ego about him, but when the time came for him to show us his art I was kind of left feeling disappointed because I knew there were a few people in the class who could definitely do much better than him, and I felt really bad about it. But then again at the same time I had a teacher who I think had her masters and she knewww her shit. I learned a lot from her and she even offered to write me a letter of rec for Ringling. Even though it was a beginning drawing class, I learned from her and ended up some really nice pieces that I used in my portfolio. She took us to draw cadavers, took us to draw farm animals to practice gestures and we were forced to experiment with many different art methods. She had a bit of an ego though and she consistently called me out as the number one in the class and I hated that, but in the end what matters was what I learned. Lots of people have the passion, unfortunately they don't all have the talent so I mean, it's good and bad at the same time. Some of them don't really need a lot of talent to succeed in the career they're going, some need to be the best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    I like that approach you're taking tmg, definitely getting a steady start if you decide to take those classes at CGMW. which classes are you looking at? I wanted to take their environmental sketching class but $600 also no time between work, school and working on a contest entry that i'd really hope wins Dx.
    First off, good luck with your entry!
    I'm actually looking at taking three classes. I know it's a lot, both in work and money, but hopefully it should be worth it.
    funny you should mention the environmental sketching class, because that is one of the classes I'm looking at. I could really use some training in the environmental aspects, and I know eventually being a GAD, that will be a big piece of my studies.
    After that I'm looking into the dynamic sketching 1 class. It seems to have a good foundational skill set that can only seem to help- and that way, I may be able to take dynamic sketching 2 if I so choose next summer.
    then the third class I plan to take is the digital photography course. Basically this is the class I really think is important since Photoshop is a really important skill to have in Ringling from what I've read, yet at the moment my skills/experience with the program are very limited.

and though you are right 600 dollars is a lot- 4 courses in a Ringling semester (at 16,000), is 4,000 dollars a class! the 600 dollars doesn't sound so bad anymore! but If I were already taking classes in another college, adding the CGMW classes would be a heavy load.
    I'm actually trying to cram a bit before ringling, so I'll be ready if it really is as intense as people seem to say.

Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    what i've come to hold as a motto recently regarding art is to not strive for perfection but to be fearless and experiment. sadly i'm nitpicky with details so haha but when it comes to experimenting with new pieces, don't be afraid of failure even if we strive for perfection, nothing is wrong with failing. sometimes its the best thing to happen to us ^-^ don't go with the mindset for perfection, go with the mindset that you'll do your best and hopefully you'll gain something from that experience. then when it's looking good you can be a perfectionist 8D
    My actual motto has been the over used "do 110%" since I graduated high school. It's not so much being a perfectionist, as much as always pushing to do better than I think I can. Like the 100% would be the best I KNOW I can do- so I try to do the best I can- step away from it, and then do even more.
    But I did read a few articles that actually confirm exactly what you are talking about. Basically many argue that creativity is only possible if one is given the room to have failure. A lot argue that, that is one of the ways most public education systems (and I guess some private) destroy creativity- by making children afraid to try new things, in case they fail.

Mostly the feeling of needing to be perfect comes from fear of the competition for jobs after graduation. It seems like if you aren't the best, there may be no opportunities. Yes, I know this isn't quite a valid viewpoint, but it just seems like the market is going to be flooded before long, because it seems almost like our whole generation is made up of want to be artists! Sometimes I wonder If I can function without stress, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha thanks! ^-^ I have like 20 or so days to finish and I'm afraid I'm not gonna finish adsgdfsg
    dynamic sketching was another one i wanted to do :Y well, good luck with the classes ^-^ I hope you learn a lot haha! I think you have a pretty good motto I'm always afraid of failure and mistakes, I think that's why I haven't filled up as many sketchbooks as some of my peers or others do. My drawing 1 teacher helped instill this fearlessness and for that I'm grateful. I'm working with materials that can't be easily erased, I actually did an entire detailed piece of a sculpture in sharpie the other day and I'm really happy with this courage I've had with my art lately. I know what you mean though, you need to be at this level of "perfect" to beat everyone else for that job you've been hoping to Merlin you'd get. Everyone wants to get away from sitting in a cubicle and be their own person and do what makes them happy and I think our society has idealized art as a "happy, out of the norm" path and that attracts people to it and they just kind of go for it after realizing that being a doctor or engineer isn't going to make them happy. Lots of people end up doing really well just jumping into art and others don't do so well and end up having to get another degree to survive. I think we'll be okay. I'm sure lots of new studios are gonna pop up, studios created by alumni that will do great things and we won't be so scared about there not being positions at Dreamworks for us when we graduate. Thats what I wanted to do after we graduate. Make a studio with friends and do things other than just movies. Branch out, be something more. But I gotta wait and see

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seconded on the good luck!

Also, totally agree with ya'll.

One of the thing I instill in my drama kids is the idea of "being in the trenches." I think that applies with art, or basically anything you want to do in life. Whenever we have a really big performance the kids know they are 'in the trenches' and that basically means HARD WORK. learning lines, blocking, annunciation drills, etc. when the performance comes it's celebratory, and then the next practice they're back in the trenches. That never goes away, and I think that's such a big part of art. You grow, you evolve, basically you are stuck in the trenches working, working, working. Even when you 'make it' you are still meeting deadlines, talking to clients, promoting yourself, redoing pieces that don't quite work, and always striving for that idea of perfection.

I agree, anomalexie! The industry is so versatile and I think there is a huge platform for independents to come onto the scene. One of the biggest things I want to get out of Ringling is being able to harness the skills so that I can tell the stories I want to tell (comics, books, animated films, etc) and then be able to network for the same reason - a dream studio lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm hoping you guys are right, because it's always sort of been my dream to eventually do my own indie work- be it animation, games, or another form of artistic entertainment.
    As a kid, It was making comics and then as I grew older, I wanted to work in video games and animation. Reason I chose GAD, is because it seems to teach the most general knowledge (seems) with a focus on games, interactivity, and asset creation. But, yeah, the whole point I was getting at, is I do hope their will be space for everyone to do their own things.
    Right now, especially with things like kick starter and steam, I know the indie industry is really growing, but again, I find myself wondering, will the need continue growing so there is enough space by the time we are all looking? From what I read, it seems right now the growth is actually hitting a slow point... maybe in the next four years it will hit a growth period again (sort of like the housing market grows stops, grows stops).

Quote Originally Posted by escaphilia View Post

One of the thing I instill in my drama kids is the idea of "being in the trenches." I think that applies with art, or basically anything you want to do in life. Whenever we have a really big performance the kids know they are 'in the trenches' and that basically means HARD WORK. learning lines, blocking, annunciation drills, etc. when the performance comes it's celebratory, and then the next practice they're back in the trenches. That never goes away, and I think that's such a big part of art. You grow, you evolve, basically you are stuck in the trenches working, working, working. Even when you 'make it' you are still meeting deadlines, talking to clients, promoting yourself, redoing pieces that don't quite work, and always striving for that idea of perfection.
    l
    I actually started to understand this concept when I started exercising: not like body building or anything, just exercising enough to be healthy. I started to realize as I started losing weight and my body changed little bit by little bit, I noticed issues in the current condition of my body. What I realized was ironic, is I was in the best condition of my life, yet, I was still finding issues. I then realized no matter what condition I am able to get in, I will notice more issues in response to my current physical condition- and the same holds true, I've found for skills. You get better, but in getting better, you reach an area where you are able to see more problems. so there is always a striving towards better/perfection.
    What it has also taught me is how much more constancy is important rather than just bursts of hard word work, followed by burnt periods. If you can maintain 30 minutes of pretty intense exercise everyday, you will get healthier. it will take a long time, but it is also maintainable- as well you won't wind up with all that much excess skin and things that happen when you lose weight rapidly, and i've found there is less pain so less recovery time. This seems the same with art as well as just about everything else. If you can do something, even if it is just a little bit everyday, yet you strive to "go harder" than you did the day before, my experience has only shown you get better and better.
    Sure, some people can draw 12 hours a day, of just studies, and they get really good really fast- yet that is a dangerous road to go down, as by the end, most of them seem to hate their craft- thats the same as their are people who spend 4 hours a day in the gym- and their bodies are amazing, no dispute. but many wind up with all types of health conditions later on in life- or they can barely move all of the day that they aren't in the gym due to pain.

It seems like getting good at anything is basically entirely dependent on consistent hard work. just knocking your tasks away bit by bit, and eventually you will meet your goal. I just have to figure out how to not procrastinate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think there's going to have to be a need for more studios, unless all the current big name studios are planning on dropping a ton of movies at us at once, I mean they kind of already are, aren't they? And with animation, you don't have to Disney-y stuff, you can branch out to movies, video games, television shows, etc. Although I dream of working for Pixar, I know I'm probably not gonna get hired there right out of graduation and I'm open to doing other things. Creating apps has been a huge interest of mine lately, which I've had to put on hold for this contest, but I think being openminded and versatile is very important in an industry, as escaphilia said, is very versatile.
    Obviously it's going to be hard for us to immediately start up a studio because we're going to need some income to begin paying off loans and becoming an independent studio isn't really going to provide income for a while. I think we have to make our own space and eventually, or hopefully, we'll end up a big name studio and people will be wanting to join our studio.
    But yknow, whatever happens happens

17. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Themegagod: Yeah, I can definitely see where you are coming from. The industry really fluctuates and is constantly changing. It also depends on the individual subset, for instance - the book industry. Just recently Barnes and Noble just announced it will close a couple hundred stores within the next decade. A lot of that has to do with ebooks. Just five years ago if you wanted to get published - you had to find a publishing house that would even look at your manuscript or you would need to find a literary agent to represent you. If you wanted to illustrate for books you also had to go direct to a publishing house or find a place to represent you. Although, that's still true to some degree - there is also a huge shift to independent publishers and self-publishers. On one hand it's great because there is a large window to bypass the 'traditional' way of things, but at the same time it's kind of unnerving to consider how that's going to affect the industry at large. Will we ever see the next 'Harry Potter' or has the days of best sellers and brick/mortar sellers fallen behind? Same is true for the video game industry as consoles are beginning to take a huge blow and the shift of gaming seems to be through mobile devices. Which really sucks imho because I love my xbox and ps3 and I pretty much grew up with Nintendo. Soooo....yeah, definitely a lot of scary thoughts for the future, but at the same time I think if we ride the wave just right and focus on making good, creative content we can all be successful.

I also totally get where you are coming from. About eight months ago I decided to make a lifestyle change and begin the journey to weight loss /overall good health and well being and you are spot on. I think there are two 'killer' mentalities that can really screw someone up, whether exercising or art. One is the idea of an "expiration date". You've done it, you've lost twenty pounds or yay you now know how to draw realistic humans. Whatever the case may be; you think 'I'm done!' That's such a complacent way of thinking and leads someone not progressing any further. Then there's the mentality of 'not being good enough' so then you don't try at all and you will ultimately fail by default.

So yeah, I definitely believe in keeping the mentality of trying for perfection with everything I do, whether or not that is a feasibly attainable goal.

@ anomalexie: lol, yes they are! To be honest, I think the world is need of a breath of fresh air for animation. Don't get me wrong, while I absolutely love Pixar/Disney and 3d animation, I would love to see more 2d animated films, or a mix of the two. Paperman was amazing for that very reason. I feel like 1/3 movies that come out are carbon copies of something else and it's like whyyyyyyyyy - when there is so much potential to just do something completely different.

That's neat that you have an interest in apps! I actually started an app with an ex bf of mine almost two years ago (it was a major passion of his). He was developing, I was artin'. I can't remember what all it entailed, but it was a little mini adventure game where the hero was on a quest and it mixed his world with our world; like things that you did outside of the game (like take a picture, text, etc) would affect things in game. Sadly, it never went beyond the concept art stage because we broke up and he was kind of a jerk lol Shame, because it was ambitious and I would have liked to see what became of it.

Yeah, I hear ya. que sera sera

19. The Following User Says Thank You to escaphilia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Current GAD freshman here.
    Friends with pretty much every freshman in this thread.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Zezia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zezia View Post
    who dis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ohrii View Post
    who dis
    Probably Sebastian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoever you are- welcome. Now tell me everything I need to know, ever. Posting the same questions again and again gets pretty repetitive- but, yeah-
    Basically, How has your Ringling experience been? any advice for us newbies?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    whoever you are- welcome. Now tell me everything I need to know, ever. Posting the same questions again and again gets pretty repetitive- but, yeah-
    I second this. Tell us everything. *stares*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Probably Sebastian
    Yus. behold my internet luster

soon, in class.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Zezia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, hey sebastian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

soon, in class.
    but that's like.... months from now. and you'll be in those super cool, older person classes (well, I may actually be older simply going in, but you know what I mean). I'm terribly impatient.

Last edited by themegagod; February 12th, 2013 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but that's like.... months from now. and you'll be in those super cool, older person classes (well, I may actually be older simply going in, but you know what I mean). I'm terribly impatient.
    I ment that I was in class v.v and professor was almost right behind me.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zezia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ment that I was in class v.v and professor was almost right behind me.
    Oh.
    I did think it was rather odd you were planning on telling me all about your school experience once I was in classes, seeming as you would be a year above me, and most likely not share the same classes as I'd be taking.
    so anyway-
    what has your experience been like?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what has your experience been like?
    Yo dog. A friend of mine started the Illustration program almost a year ago. She loves it. Some of the teachers are super hardcore and strict, but for the most part, they all genuinely try to teach you how to bring out your own creative style. She slaves a lot, and loses a lot of sleep, but she's already improved a ton since she started. It's quite impressive. Check out her DeviantArt, she's awesome! You can see the improvement in her Ringling Art section: http://ahkward.deviantart.com/

Squeee! If we get into this school, we're all going to learn so much. >_<

But I'd also be interested in hearing about this guy's experience.

Hello, dude I know nothing about.

I try to keep up with this forum, but...life is busy. Ah yes. You're in Game Design? I'm guessing...I may or may not have skimmed over one of your most recent posts about that.

*yawn* Yeah....so....I'll just await his response now.

Check out my current portfolio! Critiques are highly encouraged, YEAH!!!: http://mangmang.deviantart.com/gallery/41767816

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I sure am sick of waiting.... First they tell me decisions will be made by mid-March...THEN I here April. >.<

Does anyone know how many people may have applied this year?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol MangMang I feel ya but getting upset and impatient isn't going to help. Waiting sucks, though, I hate it. According to tumblr, though, it seems like the first week of March are when CA will be getting their letters. We've still got a ways to go.However, I've noticed more and more people have been getting acceptance letters mostly from the Illustration department. So hopefully it's soon. ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rolling admissions are gonna hear first, that's why I got in back in November. They basically seem to work on a sort of first come first serve basis, so for most majors they hear back in about a month or so after applying. Not to be the bearer of bad news yet, just because Illustration are hearing back already, may not mean that CA will be hearing back anytime soon.
    But the good, and nerve racking news, is that once the first CA student announces, "I GOT MY LETTER!" it seems like just about everyone will know their status in about 2 weeks from that point. it's a flood of received letters. Then everyone who is not accepted into CA is offered a seat somewhere else- same for GAD- GAD seems to fill quickly as well. For some reason Illustration seems to often have a lot of available seats come wait list time.

Quote Originally Posted by MangMang View Post
    Yo dog. A friend of mine started the Illustration program almost a year ago. She loves it. Some of the teachers are super hardcore and strict, but for the most part, they all genuinely try to teach you how to bring out your own creative style. She slaves a lot, and loses a lot of sleep, but she's already improved a ton since she started. It's quite impressive. Check out her DeviantArt, she's awesome! You can see the improvement in her Ringling Art section: http://ahkward.deviantart.com/

If we get into this school, we're all going to learn so much. >_<
    Let's hope the education is all it is cracked up to be, because we've all got major competition once out those doors. But Ringling should get us ready- I've heard (horror) stories abut 3 day no sleep binges, and classes where you break the curve if you can get a C. There are no Asian Fs (if you don't get the joke, thats where an A- is considered an F because Asians are so strict- It's not racist, some of my best friends are Asian) anymore- just passing is hard enough.
    And you are right- your friend is quite good- Seeing Ringling blogs are always great inspiration because you see people who can barely make a straight line develop into some phenomenal artists.
    I'm hoping I can undergo the same transformation.

Squeee!
    I love that book. JTHM is one of my favorite comic series. (hopefully you get the reference).

Hello, dude I know nothing about.

I try to keep up with this forum, but...life is busy. Ah yes. You're in Game Design? I'm guessing...I may or may not have skimmed over one of your most recent posts about that.

*yawn* Yeah....so....I'll just await his response now.

Not sure if this is directed at me, or Zezia, but we are both GADs (Game Art and Design majors). I am just admitted, and he is finishing his freshman year.
    And don't feel bad about not spend enough time on here- I think I spend TOO much time on here (just showing ones lack of a life XD).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, I know...I'm so impatient. I guess it's not so much anxiety as it is just wanting to know whether I need to plan on moving soon or stay here and focus on a plan B. I need to slow it down!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rolling admissions are gonna hear first, that's why I got in back in November. They basically seem to work on a sort of first come first serve basis, so for most majors they hear back in about a month or so after applying. Not to be the bearer of bad news yet, just because Illustration are hearing back already, may not mean that CA will be hearing back anytime soon.
    But the good, and nerve racking news, is that once the first CA student announces, "I GOT MY LETTER!" it seems like just about everyone will know their status in about 2 weeks from that point. it's a flood of received letters. Then everyone who is not accepted into CA is offered a seat somewhere else- same for GAD- GAD seems to fill quickly as well. For some reason Illustration seems to often have a lot of available seats come wait list time.

Let's hope the education is all it is cracked up to be, because we've all got major competition once out those doors. But Ringling should get us ready- I've heard (horror) stories abut 3 day no sleep binges, and classes where you break the curve if you can get a C. There are no Asian Fs (if you don't get the joke, thats where an A- is considered an F because Asians are so strict- It's not racist, some of my best friends are Asian) anymore- just passing is hard enough.
    And you are right- your friend is quite good- Seeing Ringling blogs are always great inspiration because you see people who can barely make a straight line develop into some phenomenal artists.
    I'm hoping I can undergo the same transformation.

I love that book. JTHM is one of my favorite comic series. (hopefully you get the reference).

Not sure if this is directed at me, or Zezia, but we are both GADs (Game Art and Design majors). I am just admitted, and he is finishing his freshman year.
    And don't feel bad about not spend enough time on here- I think I spend TOO much time on here (just showing ones lack of a life XD).
    I was talking to Zezia. But hello to you too, man.
    If I don't get into CA, I MAY get into GA instead...but...considering the cost, I'd almost sooner wait another year instead of settling for another major. I dunno.

I've heard good things about the GAD program, though. I bet it's pretty sweet.

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26