Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls - Page 13
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anomalexie: It's pretty mixed, the closer you get to MLK the worse it is. :s

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @diehasen: derp that makes me nervous xD eeeeeee.. dorms are expensive tho D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Though dorms are expensive, I recommend you go for dorm as a freshman because dorms bring a lot of networking , i heard that. When you are in 2nd, 3rd or 4th, you can live off campus, so yeah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone know if there are rules against crashing on a dorm room floor?
    lol. I don't mean like trying to screw the system, and spend a whole semester, I'm saying like if you do the off campus living situation, and you are working on some project with a class mate- a club runs late- what ever, and a close friend doesn't care, is just curling up in the corner of their room allowed?

I've been to a few parties where a friend slept in the tub...

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well as long as all parties involved are okay with it. Make sure you get permission from your friend's roommate and the building/floor's RA. Common etiquette stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ohrii View Post
    Well as long as all parties involved are okay with it. Make sure you get permission from your friend's roommate and the building/floor's RA. Common etiquette stuff.
    Sweet. I just wanted to make sure that if I do room off campus, but pass out due to sleep exhaustion anywhere, as long as all involved parties are cool with it, there will be no problem.
    BTW, Are the RA's often cool? Not asking to bad mouth anyone- but are the RA's strict?

Oh and another thing- when is the best time to get one's application(s) in if one does decide live on campus? Like how long does it take for all of the good places to go?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The RA's are super cool, at least the ones i met. Usually as long you dont bother others on your floor, youre good.
    As soon as possible. Goldstein fills up super fast

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ohrii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MangMang View Post
    Hullloooo guys....

I've never posted on here before, but have had an account for years! I'm just a creeper than spies on portfolios and reads comments.

Cough. I'm a CA hopeful for Ringling this year. Don't know why I'm so determined to go to Ringling...but I am!

Here's my portfolio. Would you mind critiquing it? Prease? Thank you. :3

http://mangmang.deviantart.com/gallery/41767816
    I love your work. it's good to have diversity in your portfolio. I love the colors and mediums. Very good! Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AllieAmmons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also please note, Ringling is NOT a party school.
    It's too expensive to waste time partying and I highly advise against it, if that's partially what you were wanting to do while out here.
    You may get away with partying some Freshman year, but after that you'll be too swamped with work to waste that sort of time - particularly in GAD or CA.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diehasen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehasen View Post
    It's too expensive to waste time partying and I highly advise against it, if that's partially what you were wanting to do while out here.
    You may get away with partying some Freshman year, but after that you'll be too swamped with work to waste that sort of time - particularly in GAD or CA.
    Lol, if by partying you mean watching pixar movies, sy-fy cult shows, playing video games/ board games, and discussing all aspects of art, then I guess I had Ringling all wrong.

If you mean partying by most schools' standards, then I don't plan to ever do that again. I lived the past 7 years in Atlantic city new jersey and I've already had more than enough drunken experiences to last a very long while.

As I'm already 21, drinking has lost all of its appeal for me. I'm looking forward to NOT going to a party school- other wise I would not be looking at Ringling! I think without parties, people do still know how to have fun! It was impossible to explain that to some people I've met though. (BTW if you haven't tried drinking on a three day spree; I wouldn't advise it. Waking up drunk, then drinking until the evening when you drink some more, again and again and again- that just isn't all that much fun IMO)

If it was aspects of my comments which brought that concern about, let me explain myself- I was concerned about the whole RA thing because I've only seen the whole dorm life in movies, and RAs always get bad reps. And If it was my comment about the whole "friends sleeping in tubs" that was just to illustrate the concept that sleeping on the floor has never been an issue- I wasn't sure though if that was normal for everyone though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    Lol, if by partying you mean watching pixar movies, sy-fy cult shows, playing video games/ board games, and discussing all aspects of art, then I guess I had Ringling all wrong.
    Damn it, there go all my hopes and dreams I suspect the Quidditch team is just a rumor too.

The only alcohol I've ever had was champagne this year on New Years lol. No it's pretty normal when you got a close group of friends.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    Damn it, there go all my hopes and dreams I suspect the Quidditch team is just a rumor too.

The only alcohol I've ever had was champagne this year on New Years lol. No it's pretty normal when you got a close group of friends.
    I've never been much of a "jock" or other sports-type person, but I must admit; I am interested in what this real-world Quidditch is all about.
    Doubt as a GAD I could find much time to watch/ engage in such activities.

and about the whole champagne thing... I most obviously cannot say the same, but it's also not something I wear with much pride. There are many nights that go unremembered because of a friend's party. Some fun stories, but mostly dumb happenings and dead brain cells. A glass or two of wine is one thing - 3 rounds of back to back "Kings" with a bunch of professional partiers- whole 'nother story.
    As I said, having been there done that, having played beer pong until 4am, having woken up with strange unremembered hickies, having had to hold a friend's hair back as they prayed to a porcelain god- all of these things one could live without, no matter how fun they sound when someone tells the story.

I guess to anyone it concerns, If you are curious about these things, get them out of your system so you don't freak out the moment you are "set free" in college, but really, it's nothing that you couldn't enjoy just as much sober as a judge.
    So yeah. I really am looking forward to a college for learning, NOT for partying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol right? i'd so take part in quidditch if i wasn't planning on going into CA.

eh, i've just never really had that opportunity where i could drink into the night without having to drive home, obviously being underaged and living with parents poses a challenge with regards to drinking. it smells nasty anyways XD i feel like im not missing much, but i still wanna be able to say yeah i've gotten drunk before. i guess as a girl i worry a lot about what might happen to me if left vulnerable to a bunch of college guys who are just there for a good time, not to say that they're all bad, just being cautious XD

education at ringling > parties <:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahaha no worries themegagod! xD We're not jumping to conclusions, just suggesting.

And actually, I know a few CA freshmen that manage quidditch into their schedules. Freshman year, especially first semester isn't too bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AllieAmmons View Post
    I love your work. it's good to have diversity in your portfolio. I love the colors and mediums. Very good! Good luck!
    Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. This is...my third time applying to these guys. O.O

Do you or anyone else know of any other colleges that are comparable or better than Ringling?

I've been doing some research...but every website has their own opinions. Ringling's curriculum seems really diverse, and teaches you a variety of aspects of animation, rather than just focusing on one or two things. Are there any other schools out there that might provide the same?

Also, it is a bit concerning that Ringling is sort of located in the ghetto. My friend is attending there right now for Illustration, and apparently, there were around 8 break-ins and 2 rapes last semester. yeesh....stressful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehasen View Post

Yeah, I'd definitely advise getting that partying out of your system before going to a ~$40,000/year school. Booze isn't all that exciting, but that's my opinion. I got that out of my system a few years ago...everything changes once you turn 21, lol, there's not much of a thrill in buying booze legally...it's just like, "well...I'm off work now...guess I'll go buy myself a bottle of wine and watch a movie". Riveting. I've had my fun, like everyone should get the chance to do...and now I'm ready for some schoolin'.

Ringling....so many dollars...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MangMang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. This is...my third time applying to these guys. O.O

Do you or anyone else know of any other colleges that are comparable or better than Ringling?

I've been doing some research...but every website has their own opinions. Ringling's curriculum seems really diverse, and teaches you a variety of aspects of animation, rather than just focusing on one or two things. Are there any other schools out there that might provide the same?

Also, it is a bit concerning that Ringling is sort of located in the ghetto. My friend is attending there right now for Illustration, and apparently, there were around 8 break-ins and 2 rapes last semester. yeesh....stressful.
    About the neighborhood thing, I heard the same thing before coming but, if you're living on campus you usually stay safe. if you're out late in one of the labs doing homework or coming back from a friend's place you can call public services and they'll walk/drive you to where ever you need to go. So far, I haven't heard of anything too grave happening to anyone on campus other than bike thefts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ohrii View Post
    About the neighborhood thing, I heard the same thing before coming but, if you're living on campus you usually stay safe. if you're out late in one of the labs doing homework or coming back from a friend's place you can call public services and they'll walk/drive you to where ever you need to go. So far, I haven't heard of anything too grave happening to anyone on campus other than bike thefts.
    Oh goodness... Well, I'll probably be living off campus with a roommate to save some monies. I bet the dorms are awesome, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @AllieAmmons

I'm not sure how I missed your portfolio, but you seem to have some really good work in there. unless you are only showing new work, I'm kind of surprised you had to try three times. Hopefully third time is the charm!

From what i understand for 3-d animation, Ringling is sort of the best unless you go up into Canada... As far as animation in general- of course there is CalArts. I also think SVA in New York is really good. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about SCAD, and a friend of mine who was a Ringling Alum, basically said that if it's between ringling and SCAD, the decision should be hands down in the favor of Ringling. I'm pretty sure RISD has a good program too, but I simply don't know all that much.
    For me, I was sold on Ringling when I looked at the student videos they showcase on their website. I can't find another school with comparable end results IMO.

As far as being in the ghetto- well I think that is just something that you have to deal with with most colleges. Just about every college I've ever seen, except for some state universities, are located right next to the "bad neighborhoods". I guess since schools need to be built on a lot of land, and usually pretty close to a cities central hub, the "ghettos" provide the cheapest land.
    Personally, I've yet to hear about the rapes (sounds a bit far fetched to me), but having lived in lower income housing most of my life, I don't think it's often as bad as people make it out to be. Of course people might get mugged, but that can happen anywhere, even (and sometimes most often) in the richer neighborhoods. As far as break-ins, Make sure your windows and doors are locked, and if you can get a dog.

I've yet to visit the school (I plan on doing so soon), but from my experience, a lot of people who claim a school is located in a ghetto, are somewhat unfamiliar with what a real ghetto is, and to be honest I hope they are just exaggerating. I guess having a few study buddies who will be in the labs with you and will be heading mostly in the direction you need to go to get home doesn't hurt either. traveling in packs of friends, is always a good idea, but I'm pretty sure as long as you don't showcase any level of affluence (walk around the streets at 2am with your mac book loosely grasped in your fingers) you should be okay.
    Again, I'm unsure, but most of the time when I hear someone call an area a BAD NEIGHBORHOOD I've found it to be a pleasant let down as far as what I was expecting. I at the moment plan to live off campus as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    I'm not sure how I missed your portfolio, but you seem to have some really good work in there. unless you are only showing new work, I'm kind of surprised you had to try three times. Hopefully third time is the charm!

From what i understand for 3-d animation, Ringling is sort of the best unless you go up into Canada... As far as animation in general- of course there is CalArts. I also think SVA in New York is really good. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about SCAD, and a friend of mine who was a Ringling Alum, basically said that if it's between ringling and SCAD, the decision should be hands down in the favor of Ringling. I'm pretty sure RISD has a good program too, but I simply don't know all that much.
    For me, I was sold on Ringling when I looked at the student videos they showcase on their website. I can't find another school with comparable end results IMO.

As far as being in the ghetto- well I think that is just something that you have to deal with with most colleges. Just about every college I've ever seen, except for some state universities, are located right next to the "bad neighborhoods". I guess since schools need to be built on a lot of land, and usually pretty close to a cities central hub, the "ghettos" provide the cheapest land.
    Personally, I've yet to hear about the rapes (sounds a bit far fetched to me), but having lived in lower income housing most of my life, I don't think it's often as bad as people make it out to be. Of course people might get mugged, but that can happen anywhere, even (and sometimes most often) in the richer neighborhoods. As far as break-ins, Make sure your windows and doors are locked, and if you can get a dog.

I've yet to visit the school (I plan on doing so soon), but from my experience, a lot of people who claim a school is located in a ghetto, are somewhat unfamiliar with what a real ghetto is, and to be honest I hope they are just exaggerating. I guess having a few study buddies who will be in the labs with you and will be heading mostly in the direction you need to go to get home doesn't hurt either. traveling in packs of friends, is always a good idea, but I'm pretty sure as long as you don't showcase any level of affluence (walk around the streets at 2am with your mac book loosely grasped in your fingers) you should be okay.
    Again, I'm unsure, but most of the time when I hear someone call an area a BAD NEIGHBORHOOD I've found it to be a pleasant let down as far as what I was expecting. I at the moment plan to live off campus as well.
    Rape is never far fetched. It happens everywhere, in every school. There is always someone that has been rape or has been a victim of attempted rape. Schools are just good at covering up the incidents. They don't want anybody knowing that someone got raped in their school as it might make their school "look bad." Things like rape are always kept on the down low. So, I would advise people not to take these rape stories from Ringling with a grain of salt and basically try and keep safe as they would anywhere.

Anyway, I have a few questions. How far is Ringling from the beach? How cold does it get there in the winter? I know, such important questions. xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by steampoweredseagoat View Post
    Rape is never far fetched. It happens everywhere, in every school. There is always someone that has been rape or has been a victim of attempted rape. Schools are just good at covering up the incidents. They don't want anybody knowing that someone got raped in their school as it might make their school "look bad." Things like rape are always kept on the down low. So, I would advise people not to take these rape stories from Ringling with a grain of salt and basically try and keep safe as they would anywhere.

Anyway, I have a few questions. How far is Ringling from the beach? How cold does it get there in the winter? I know, such important questions. xD
    Personally, I saw a story about a girl who was kidnapped from Ringling, but when I actually looked into it I found nothing. The girl who made the post claimed that this girl got kidnapped by her car or something and security did nothing and she was freaking out about this girl getting kidnapped right on campus. But I haven't heard ANYTHING about it except that one post so I assumed it wasn't true. And Ringling does put all of those incidents on a chart that can be viewed online, I think it's in the code of conduct or something because I remember looking at it in class last year: cases of theft being the incident with highest reports. My private high school was smack dab in a "ghetto" area, but as long as you were aware of your surroundings and were cautious, nothing bad happened. Nothing worse than a couple break ins and kids having sex in a car during class. I carry a pocket knife with me in my purse at night though because where I work is hard to find parking sometimes so I have to cross the parking lot alone at night.

As for cold, living in soflo, it rarely gets colder than 55 degrees, cold here is like 70 degrees though hahaha. I would assume since Ringling is a little farther up north from where I live, the coldest it might get is around 35 if there's a bad cold front. I know friends who live in Gainsville right now and it was 35 degrees, but that's a lot farther north. Ringling, by car, is about 10 minutes away from the beach (you have to cross some bridges and find parking lol). The beaches are pretty nice, when I went there was a storm coming so the seas were rough and my friends and I were laughing about getting knocked down by the waves over and over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by steampoweredseagoat View Post

Very good point. Being a man and as rare as it happens to us (though it does happen), it's pretty easy to forget about the covered up statistics. Always be careful, and know how to protect ones self, in any event. Traveling in groups should diminish predators in any situation.
    I wonder where these rapes are taking place, is it students, or is it just that people in the surrounding neighborhoods? I imagine that Ringling, not being a party school, the rapes are rarely cases of "date rape" drugs in drinks, but I imagine that happens often in other colleges adding to their statistical average.

According to google maps, the gulf seems to be less than a mile away.
    I live just north of Sarasota (about an hour), so though sarasota is closer to the water, and bit more south, the weather shouldn't be TOO much different. For the past several days I've had to wear sunglasses to keep from squinting all day. Right now where I am it's about 70-75 degrees. The coldest day I've felt so far this winter was about 40-50, when a cold front was bringing a storm up north- that was around the Christmas season. Some nights it drops down to 40- so the morning and evening can get a bit chilly, but when I think that there is snow on the ground where all of my high school friends are, I realize how grateful I should be.
    So though there are some jacket days, most days I can get by with a t-shirt (though the wind can get nippy). Recent;y while I've been out working on my car, If I was in Direct sun, I would break out in a sweat. I'd compare the weather outside right now (late January) to a New Jersey Late april early may.

Would I go swimming right now? Probably not- it's warm but not quite hot outside. yes I've gone swimming when it was 35-40 degrees, but that was just to be stupid. The water was frigid and it wasn't a very comfortable experience. I imagine the beach down here would be decently warm, but I doubt it is hot enough out to REALLY enjoy it at the moment, but then again I could very likely be wrong.
    So yeah, If you can find the time it doesn't seem all that far fetched to be able to spend most of your free time in the winter chilling at the beach.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm aware that Ringling were located near a ghetto and also heard about thief stealing from the campus, but that's not what I worry about. Just use your common sense and you should be fine. As far as drinking/partying goes, I heard of students partying at Ringling but they end up dropping out (this is based on the research and students that I talked to). Well you shouldn't pay 45k a year just to go party anyways. When I research about Ringling, the students there told me that all they did for party was to watch pixar movies or anime together, hanging out and discuss about animation or something (I'm not sure if this is true, but I personally don't mind that kind of party if we do have extra time to that is). But what really concern me is the building. By that I mean like how the building looked. I haven't visit the school yet so I don't know how the classroom and each building look like. I been to SVA open house and their classroom seen very old, and I don't like that. So m worry about how the building of Ringling look like. I know Ringling renew their equipment once very two years to keep them up to date and I love that. I can't stand old building (no offend to anyone or anything) but if I were to study at a school, I want to find a comfortable one. With that being said, anyone knows how the classroom looks like and the dorm room too. I don't mind about living near a ghetto.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if the condition of a building should be crucial to making a decision on what school you go to, but Ringling's buildings are almost all new. I've also visited SVA and I can tell you they don't compare. I have a video my friends and I made walking around campus and in the classes I could send you via pm if you want.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ohrii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol well everyone's different, I just can't stand old building and if I don't find it comfortable then how can I study good right? If you would do that, I love to see it, can you pm it to me? thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like we need some rape whistles. ��

34. The Following User Says Thank You to AllieAmmons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AllieAmmons View Post
    Looks like we need some rape whistles. ��
    I've hear yelling fire is more likly to get a response. sad world we live in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Without rape, whose gonna buy the whistles?

Sorry, probably shouldn't have just jumped in the conversation with a morbid joke like that, but I couldn't resist.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    Without rape, whose gonna buy the whistles?

Sorry, probably shouldn't have just jumped in the conversation with a morbid joke like that, but I couldn't resist.
    i probably shouldn't have laughed so hard like i did.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    i probably shouldn't have laughed so hard like i did.
    i probably shouldn't have agreed as hard as I did.

Makes you wonder about conspiracies though...

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26