Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls - Page 12
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just stoppin' by to say 'hello'. I usually just spy on people's comments and portfolio. I've had this account for quite some time but never bothered to post anything. Yes.

Well, I'm a "CA hopeful for Ringling" this year. O.O If anyone is interested, I'd love it if some of you would review my portfolio and maybe lend me some feedback.

O___O thank you.

http://mangmang.deviantart.com/gallery/41767816

Last edited by MangMang; January 23rd, 2013 at 04:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OH. NOW it shows up. lulz.

So...I'm clearly new here...hm.

Yeah, CA hopeful for 2013.

Might any of you be interested in critiquing my portfolio? Cough...please thanks. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm clearly a noob...

I'm just a creeper than spies on portfolios and reads comments.

Cough. I'm a CA hopeful for Ringling this year. Don't know why I'm so determined to go to Ringling...but I am!

Here's my portfolio. Would you mind critiquing it? Prease? Thank you. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WHAT! Hm...

it isn't posting my last comment.

OH MY GOD WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!

SOB.

It isn't that big of a deal, I'm just joshin'.

But seriously! CA hopeful here who would LOVE to get some input on my portfolio...if I can figure out how and why my comments aren't posting when I add a link in here...

?: http://mangmang.deviantart.com/gallery/41767816

O.O /lost. derp herp derp...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by platformerbg View Post
    Ok I looked into your artwork a bit more (and now understand your situation). About copying I meant observing, it's just that a picture is a flat 2d object so I am used to call it copying since there is no "space"and it's easier to coordinate and take measurements with pencil. Considering the time you have you can still do a drawing that would normally take you let's say 7,8 hours in two days. All I am saying is that you need to play around more a little. Now that I looked at your most recent work I would most certainly recommend you looking more into perspective and shading and don't press that hard with the pencil, try making more delicate lines, normally the lines should be of equal value of the highest value of shading next to it(so if there is a very dark hole, make a dark line).
    Check these out (if you haven't already):
    http://www.placidchaos.com/Loomis/
    Loomis has the best books about anatomy and has some information on shading and perspective.
    Awesome thank you! I'll be looking at those books.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Ringling CA freshman here heheheh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hay guis this is a Ringling GAD freshman here to give you better information than Ohrii.

Also I'd advise one of you start up a facebook group for your class because it helped us a lot as far as meeting people and just things in general.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ohrii View Post
    Hey! Ringling CA freshman here heheheh
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehasen View Post
    Hay guis this is a Ringling GAD freshman here to give you better information than Ohrii.

Also I'd advise one of you start up a facebook group for your class because it helped us a lot as far as meeting people and just things in general.
    Not sure if the same person,

or really close friends...

LOL, in either case, how have you guys been liking it thus far?
    I was accepted into GAD, so this time next year, I will sort of be where you are now.
    Any advice you wish you had received beforehand?
    Has Ringling been all you hoped so far?
    How does the GAD program seem to be evolving for the future?

and most importantly, are you two different people?

BTW I was just thinking about making a facebook group. but I need to create a new personal facebook profile, because I don't want future employers to see my debauchery I have on my current profile. If anyone else wants to start the group please do! It might be a few days until I get around to it...

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so
    Answer to your questions:
    We are two different people, just close friends haha.

First semester was not very fun, but second has been great so far and I've heard it only gets better. Upperclassman in general said they hated first semester.
    2D Design will probably feel like a waste of time, and if you guys can get credits to not take that writing class, do so. Britt Dienes is an awesome teacher if you have her for writing but the class will feel like a waste of time as well. xD

Other than poopy first semester, the campus is great, the faculty is great and (for the most part) the students are great.

Now I do want to make a point to dispel the illusion that Ringling (mostly) only accepts the better side of the art community, because we've got a VERY wide range of skill sets here. Some cannot draw better than my fourteen year old sister, and others are very fantastic. I'm probably floating somewhere in the middle, I dunno. It was a bit of a disappointment to myself that they had accepted some pretty awful people who still haven't shown much improvement (or any real interest in art), but that's just a few...haha

As for advice make friends! Don't be a hermit because some of your best teachers may be the classmates around you. You can learn something from (mostly) everyone and they're great for inspiration and to keep you working. I was lucky and I'm currently apart of a great group of friends who have helped a ton, both with school and with personal things.

Join FEWS and Dipsy/DPSC. FEWS is our figure drawing club, it costs a fee but it's really worth it. Unfortunately I'm a lazy bastard and don't attend but all my friends do and it's helped them a lot. (: Dipsy is the digital painting and sketch club that runs contests and people do instructional artsy shit. I also don't go to that because I'm a lazy bum!

Also note if you are in Appleton be ready to cry, that's where myself and Ohrii are staying and it's awful. Any dorm but Appleton. Shoot for Goldstein if you can.

As for GAD I'm really loving the program so far, we haven't quite gotten into our major yet except for my 3D Design class and History of Game Art (also do not let that fact drive you away from the school your first semester, it almost had for me because I was getting so frustrated and impatient haha). Next year I'll be jumping into the digital programs so it should be fun. We constantly have guest speakers and companies coming by to hire or give presentations (such as Blizzard, Epic Games, etc.) So there's plenty of connections to be made!

Anyway if any of you want to add me on facebook or something or get you connected with other people in whichever major, send me a message. (:

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diehasen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehehe different and the samee..
    no we're kinda-suite mates and made a conceptart account around the same time.
    you might be getting two very similar replies though hahaha

I'm really liking Ringling, definitely more this semester than first.
    Uhh there is a lot I wish I had known before I got here, but nothing bad enough to kill me. Don't buy all of the text books, college isn't cheap and you really need to save what you can. Look online for pdfs first, see if you can borrow or share with someone, and/or see if there are upperclassmen that are willing to give up or sell their books. Stay away form the school book store; they rig the prices like crazy. Art and Frame is a far cheaper alternative. If you don't have a car, make friends with someone that does have one (I love you Diehasen). And as you get closer to the school year, I bet we can give you more specific advise.
    To be honest, Ringling is not all I had hoped for. (This does not mean I don't like the school) The first semester was terribly slow for me and artistically, although I did improve, I feel like the rate I improved actually slowed down compared to when I was studying independently. I don't know how to say this without sounding like a pretentious jerk but, the range of skill level of the class was a lot wider than I thought. And I guess that was my faut for having a far too idealistic view on Ringling, but I think a lot of people are guilty of that.
    BUT the school's great reputation isn't for nothing. It really teaches you how to be a professional, from work ethic, presentation, to attitude. The environment is very inviting, encouraging, and helpful- the teachers always take the extra mile and you'll have plenty of friendly competition. Because it's a small school, the community is very tight and making friends is relatively easy. You'll meet very talented people (and that's an understatement) and Ringling will make you a pro in a matter of four years.

And take all of this with a grain of salt, everyone learns and adapts differently. This is just my personal experience and opinion and I'm only half way done with my freshman year. Ringling College is a very strong school, but it's really all about what type of school you fit into. Don't go just because of the flashy name, make sure you do your research. And yes to the facebook group! The one last year helped me so much while I was preparing for the school year and it was really nice to know people before I got to Ringling.

Last edited by ohrii; January 24th, 2013 at 02:22 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ohrii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahah I think I know you gals. Thanks for sharing your personal experiences with us as well as your advices. thumbs up :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! And I think I know you haha! I better see you next semester!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You two are pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing all of that with us. I'm actually kind of happy about the wide variety of skill levels, means I have somewhat of a fighting chance of getting accepted. Makes me less nervous. lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay I made this- Even though I know most people didn't get in yet- you might as well like the page anyway.
    https://www.facebook.com/RinglingClassOf2017

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're quite welcome! And yeah, no worries. I've seen people take leaps in skill level once they got here. It's all about how much you want to improve and how much time you're willing to put into your art. I think I worded that wrong in my previous post hahaha.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ohrii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @themegagod: Liked the page, just in case I get in and decided to go there.

@ohrii: Oh, don't worry. I totally understand what you meant and I agree completely, skill comes to those who work at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here, I made a group for you guys (based off the name of ours lol) and I'll just give admin powers to whoever wants to handle the group. :'D

https://www.facebook.com/groups/398944856864382/

So accepted/those who are most likely going can join and you can just link that around idk.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diehasen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, it seems like a few people on tumblr have been getting their acceptance letters. Hopefully ours will come soon. Does anyone know exactly how long it takes for someone who applied to computer animation to get their letter?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow you gals made this group for us so fast. Hahaha thanks thanks for helping us make one!!!

steampoweredseagoat: we will know the results before 1 April if i am not wrong

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovesketchbook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I got mine around March or April last year

Last edited by ohrii; January 24th, 2013 at 12:40 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ohrii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ steam: must be people not in CA, everyone in CA gets their rejection and acceptance letters get sent out at the same time.

@ohrii & diehasan: thank you for sharing with us! can you recommend some safe cheap off-campus places to live? i'm going with a car, so if its like fifteen minutes away I don't really mind.

also woo! we beat the amount of posts the 2012 hopeful thread had! 8D idk it just makes me happy lol

Last edited by anomalexie; January 24th, 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anomalexi - since both of us live on campus, we don't know too much about off-campus housing but we can hook you up with some friends that do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awww I wanted to make the group lol (for those that don't know I made the surprisingly successful group last year, that is still very much in use)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaqschlanger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha sorry Zaq ;P

@anomalexie

Check out https://www.padmapper.com/

I think there's also a fb group that puts up places for rent, I just need to find it again and I'll link it here. xD
    I really don't know too much about the housing off campus though :s
    (although I'm planning to live off campus next semester ahah)

Last edited by Diehasen; January 24th, 2013 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    https://www.facebook.com/Sarasotaoffcampus?fref=ts

found the off-campus facebook group!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A winner is you Bekah

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Diehasen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do you know any places NOT to rent from? Like what streets are known for being a little dangerous and unsafe?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diehasen and ohrii, you guys are awesome!! Thank you being for so involved~

Also, joined the facebook group in case I get in *fingercross*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anomalexie - Avoid MLK xD
    That's probably the main street you want to avoid. Most neighborhoods off of University seem fairly decent however!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @diehasen: i knew there was one to avoid XD is bradenton bad too?

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26