Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ anomalexie: Oh good! Those were last years requirements. You scared me for a bit there. xD

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't mean to, I'm sorry ; u;

@ watervase: aww thanks ; u; 3 i hope i get innnn~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by steampoweredseagoat View Post
    @ watervase: Laguna Beach, California. here is the school website if you're interested
    thanks this is the first time I heard of it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WaterVase17 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ anomalexie: Oh good! Those were last years requirements. You scared me for a bit there. xD
    Either way, I think you should call the school and make sure you have everything.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WaterVase17 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ watervase: It's a really great school from what I hear but very difficult to get into, either way I thought I'd give it a whirl. You should too if you're interested. And yeah, I did call also sent them an email. I'll have to call again tomorrow. Pretty sure admissions is closed now.

@ anomalexie: It's not a problem. xP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was actually considering applying to LCAD, but I decided that it was just TOO small. I'm OK with Ringling small, but LCAD doesn't even have a cafeteria.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow so much activity!

I was told one was mandatory but two were recommended. I actually only had one done by my professor and then two were professional recs from the places I volunteer at. Then I gathered all of that, along with my college transcript and sent it by certified mail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ jandrews: Oh sweet glad I'm not the only one who's heard of it. I usually prefer smaller schools so Laguna is perfect for me, don't really care much for cafeterias either. Honestly it's my first choice, if I get accepted into there it's probably the school I'll be going to. Though the program is really short. Bleh, it's tough to decide. D8

@ escaphilia I guess that means we can send letters of rec by email? That's good to know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boo my phone cut me off last night

But, yeah that's what I was getting at lol you can send letters of rec and transcripts by mail~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, does anyone know any reliable scholarships, besides the ones on the Ringling page?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ allie: lol try fastweb.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, Fastweb.com practically spams my email account with updates on scholarships...There's more to apply to than time in the day.

Last edited by JAndrews; January 19th, 2013 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is all of fastweb legit? I noticed a couple of "scholarships" which seemed to be almost like spam. such as: "share this with (blank) friends, and you will be entered into a raffle and might win (blank) in scholarship!" It just doesn't seem to be the way I always imagined the whole money for schooling thing to go.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ tmg: lol some of them are kinda like that. those are like the website sponsored scholarships just to force people to bring in more traffic to their website. im not really sure if it's legit, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So it took me awhile but I've finally gotten around to getting together my looking over all the portfolios posted up here. Just wanted to give everyone my two cents, as it's sort of rude if I give some people a critique and not others, lol. bear in mind, My opinion is just that; take whatever you can from it, and discard anything you are not in favor of. I mean no one any offense, so please don't take any.

@idkylimes: Overall, definitely stands out as being vibrant. Your use of colors and contrast really make your pieces pop. I happen to like the way several of your pieces take on an overall color scheme, and when you scan over them, they seem to contrast well off of each other. Personally I think your red hand is my top pick, though I'm not sure how it stands in what they want for a CA portfolio, as the color choice (with the coldest in the middle) and the simplification creates a sort of flat image. Your fish, still-lives, and other drawings of hands are also some of my other top choices. On the other hands I think it is very well rendered and the subtle reds within the grays make me think of a rainy day if that makes sense. The dark nail, I think kind of takes away from the piece as it become the focal point, and as it is closest the the viewer it also makes a strange perspective effect. With the still-lives, I like your control of weight and shadow; It creates a good mood, and makes the items “feel” solid.
    What to watch out for- one word: Anime. You don't want the school to look at your portfolio and think anime. It seems to have become a pet peeve of animation portfolio reviews in recent years, and you should be very careful if your style has anime type undertones. Also make sure you watch facial proportions and anatomy. It seems a lot of your faces have something, off about them, such as flatter heads or uneven eyes. I also hope in your water color face that you cropped off your finger before submitting the piece.
    Conclusion? Great control with color, composition, and value. It doesn't seem like you have many figure drawings, and the portraits you have, you want to make sure they don't appear to be “anime-ish”.

@tennis: You seem to be very fond of the mirror. J/k, I have a lot of self portraits myself. My top picks are between the portrait looking up the nose, the red sock, the turtle and the Brick wall and window. With the portrait, more white in the eye would have made it pop as a focal point. With the choices of cooling the BG and warming the skin really makes the face stand out. The hair is magnificent, the control of light and form really make the emotion stand out. The pic of the fridge, I like because of the red sock, TBH. Though absolutely I can see and understand what everything is, I can see the light is coming out of the fridge and washes everything out- It is the placement of the focal point, far off center and out of the line of sight that really draws me in, and wonder why. By turning the person leaving into the focal point, I wonder where/why that person is leaving and it forces me to make a story about the scene. With the turtle, I am mostly impressed by all of the texture used, and the effects of lights you have on the turtle's skin. Now I'm not sure why, but I feel that this turtle was done based on a photograph, perhaps because of the near black sections of shadow, or some aspects of the size of the fins that seem confusing to me. With the brick wall, some of its perspective appears as though it may be a bit off, yet, I'd say the use of color and attention to detail stand out more than anything else on it. Your figures I'd say are lacking a bit of dynamism, though they are rendered very well (though their faces seem a bit off). I'd also say that though your still life of the glass and cooling rack, upon close inspection is done very well, it seems to me not to really stand out. I think the still life would catch the eye better with more dark contrast, though as I said, it is done very well on close inspection. Your surprised self portrait seems to be missing the back of it's head. I almost forgot, The cloth piece is also wonderfully rendered.
    Overall: I think you could use more figure drawings/ gestures, and some of your pieces really show some great rendering skills. Your attention to detail is impressive (at least to me who has a very short attention span) and you also should try to greater blend your shadows, as the blocking of changing tones seems to make me think of photographs, and make areas appear flatter than they should be.

@Mkmcm: WOAH, Vibrant!
    For some reason tumbler won't let me enlarge the photos, but I can still give a critique based off of your smaller photos. First off, I was really surprised by how bright and colorful everything is. I also like the plumpness and curves you give all of your figures. I'd say my top choices of what you sent in are the feet, the skull and the figures with the brown paper BG. I like how with very subtle tones, you are able to achieve the full illusion of form. The feet seem as though they are in the process of moving, yet everything seems proportionately correct, and it therefore seems very "alive" to me. the skull is very colorful, and I wonder how it is that you used a rainbow to create form. I would warm that for some reason the spinal region appears flat to me.
    Again as I cannot seem to enlarge your photos it's fairly hard to give a fair critique, but from what I can see with your thumbnails, I'd say that your figures seem a bit stiff. They all seem to be posing rather than moving/ living. Ironically this is why i'm drawn to your feet drawing, because they do appear to be moving and living.
    I wish I could say more, but I only have vague details of roughly one inch by one inch images to go off of.

@rununtilyouroar: I kind of don't know which pieces are your portfolio and which are just random tumbler sketches.
    In any case, there is much too much work on your site to critique it all, but over all it looks like you have some really flowy work, and some really nice gestures. I would say that it looks like you are a bit sketchy in many areas, but I don't know what you are submitting, and what might just be sketchbook pieces.
    Anyway, with a GPA in the 3.5-3.8 I wouldn't worry too much, as I've heard that is heavy place schools look, and I only had about a 3.0. Too bad ringling doesn't put much weight on SAT scores. I thought I did okay with a 1700. You beat me by a long shot. I'd hate to play trivial pursuit/ jeopardy/ any other smart person game against you!

@ escaphlia: I really like your gestures as everything seems alive and caught in motion. With your animals I can tell which every animal is, and I know that is hard to do if drawing animals from life (as they keep moving!). As was said earlier though, I really wish at least some of these were more fleshed out. Your pieces show that you have a great grasp on contours and mechanics (which is very impressive BTW) but what they don't show is how good you are with fully rendering a piece. Even the room is entirely in contour, and though the perspective is wonderful, and everything is composed great, it still has no lighting effects. That's kind of upsetting, because your egg (though it does seem a bit rushed) shows some really decent understanding of light and rendering, and it would be nice to see a little of those same lighting effects on your character pieces.

@steam: For only being drawing for two years, you are doing very well. Your figures all seem to have good gestures and movement, and there appears to be a good showing of progress throughout.
    I'd advise, try to “soften” your lines a bit, and add more curves. It seems as though your contours are still very angular, and though that is a step in many artists progressions of making figure drawings, after blocking in the shapes, you should try to round out the contours more and more. As well as I mentioned to escaphlia, adding more rendering and tone would show your understanding of light and tone, something I find hard to see in the pieces you have up.
    As far as figures go though, depending on the amount of time spent on each, these are up there with people who have been drawing for quite some time. Definitely, heading in the right direction for only two years of drawing.

@ anomalexie: Last but not least, my fellow last year wait-lister.
    First off, your figures, portrait, and colored still life, seem to speak most to me. Wait, that's just about everything- let me be more specific. I'm specifically fond of the first figure as I find the subtlety of the tone providing nice contrast. I do notice an odd thickness of his bent leg's calf, and it seems the shadows in his shoulder wrinkles terminate a bit too swiftly, but the focal points of his hair, arms, and shadowed stomach distract nicely from those areas. With your portrait; again I think the softness of much of the graduations of tone, is beautiful. I do think that the hair and eyes (mostly around the irises), are a bit too dark, and appear to be a bit of a distraction by seeming flat. I also feel it is necessary to question, what is up with that robot?
    With your sill lives I most favor the one with the red ball. With this one you attempt to tackle one of those things that I personally hate, reflective surfaces. Certain areas of this piece also seem to very well done, as they fool the eye into thinking of a photograph. This is actually problematic with certain areas of this piece as the cloth being very well done, seems to make the somewhat flatness of the flowerpot stand out.
    Something I did notice is that in your sketchbook figures, the heads are a good deal larger than anatomically correct. I find in the last still life It is somewhat hard to make out what I am looking at (except for a bunch of wrinkles) and it would seem as though a lot of the light on your figures terminates too quickly, making for the appearance of odd planes.
    It's kind of hard to imagine that your portfolio last year didn't have enough figure drawings. You must have really revamped what you had from last year.

If I forgot anyone, I'm sorry. Lol. If you'd like me too, I'll give you a paragraph or two as well. I could seriously write an essay on every piece I saw.
    I cannot stress enough to everyone; GREAT WORK! I hope everyone gets in.
    And again; I hope no one takes any offense to anything I said- I just find that writing critiques forces me to look objectively at another's work, making it easier to see problem areas in my own. I don't have any favorites, and I tried to be as fair as I could and write the same level of positive to negative about everyone. Seriously, everyone, your work is beautiful, and it would be an honor to be any one of you guys' classmates.
    Thank you all for sharing what you've been working on.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ tmg: likewise, im also particularly fond of the first one. lol in my portrait, i have like almost black dark brown hair and equally dark eyes and my eyes are a little sunken in so i tried to keep true to that and thats why they may be too dark? I did this during different times of the day, so the lighting might have been different in some parts of the drawing XD WITH REGARDS TO THE ROBOT LOL: uhh i got kind of bored with my selfportrait and the background (i went through at least 4 different backgrounds) and i was in the mood for drawing a robot so I went for it and i liked the result but thank for you the compliment on my tone work hahaha, it took a lot to get it there. yeeeeeah, the heads are a little too big... i seem to have that problem consistently. pffft, last year i didn't have figure drawings at all, mostly illustrations (didn't really stick to what they wanted at all because my ego got in the way). it was after the rejection letter that I really delved into what i needed to be accepted into CA, signed up for an 8 week figure drawing class and really took advantage of it and learned a lot. i think the rejection was for the best, yknow. but thank you for all your opinions if i could resize the heads and attempt to fix some flatness, I would XDD but thanks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have an account on fastweb, but I keep applying and It's not giving me anything. I was just wondering if something else was out there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Themegagod! (and anomalexie too cause I finally backread lol)

Yeah, I agree with ya'lls assessment! I definitely wish I included some fully rendered pieces. Funny enough the sphere actually took forever to do haha! It was for a class assignment, but I used the wrong paper that had no tooth to it. So it lost almost all of its value, total suckage. But yeah, I definitely wish I included a bit more! I got really paranoid about about not finishing before the 15th and I really regret not giving myself that extra week to gather up everything, then really picking and choose - or finishing lol Lesson learned~

23. The Following User Says Thank You to escaphilia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks themegagod for your feedback, I love to hear other people's opinions as it is hard for me to see my work with fresh eyes! Odd that tumblr won't let you enlarge them, clicking on them usually works fine for me. I completely agree with you on the spine looking flat, I wish I could've fixed that but oh well. It's my oldest piece so I'm not too upset about it. I can see what you mean about my figures looking still, that is something i am working on now. I'm glad you like the hands and feet, it's an area I've been working hard on to improve! And yes...I do love using color. Hopefully that shows through! Now all I can do is cross my fingers that I can attend Ringling next fall, it's been my dream for a while now. (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i might post mine up later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    @ tmg: likewise, im also particularly fond of the first one. lol in my portrait, i have like almost black dark brown hair and equally dark eyes and my eyes are a little sunken in so i tried to keep true to that and thats why they may be too dark? I did this during different times of the day, so the lighting might have been different in some parts of the drawing XD WITH REGARDS TO THE ROBOT LOL: uhh i got kind of bored with my selfportrait and the background (i went through at least 4 different backgrounds) and i was in the mood for drawing a robot so I went for it and i liked the result but thank for you the compliment on my tone work hahaha, it took a lot to get it there. yeeeeeah, the heads are a little too big... i seem to have that problem consistently. pffft, last year i didn't have figure drawings at all, mostly illustrations (didn't really stick to what they wanted at all because my ego got in the way). it was after the rejection letter that I really delved into what i needed to be accepted into CA, signed up for an 8 week figure drawing class and really took advantage of it and learned a lot. i think the rejection was for the best, yknow. but thank you for all your opinions if i could resize the heads and attempt to fix some flatness, I would XDD but thanks
    Robot kind of reminds me of something i could see being in adventure time. much more detailed tough.
    My mom has technically "black eyes" so I guess I can see how that may be really hard to capture and in anyway make the iris stand out. I've tried drawing her before and wound up basically making huge pupils, because there is very little distinction between the tones. I guess with the hair, some more highlighting effects up towards the top, like you have near it's base would have made it stand out more.
    I have a similar issue with head proportions, i think it comes from drawing cartoons all the time. if a normal person stands at roughly 7-8 heads, my characters are often like only 4-5 heads tall. Lol, my adults have the proportions of a 5 year old.
    You certainly used your "time off" well, so hopefully you will hear much better news this year.
    and rather thank you for letting me see what you worked on!

Quote Originally Posted by escaphilia View Post
    Thank you Themegagod! (and anomalexie too cause I finally backread lol)

Yeah, I agree with ya'lls assessment! I definitely wish I included some fully rendered pieces. Funny enough the sphere actually took forever to do haha! It was for a class assignment, but I used the wrong paper that had no tooth to it. So it lost almost all of its value, total suckage. But yeah, I definitely wish I included a bit more! I got really paranoid about about not finishing before the 15th and I really regret not giving myself that extra week to gather up everything, then really picking and choose - or finishing lol Lesson learned~
    Everything is a learning experience.
    I personally hate low/no tooth paper. I tend to use water color paper for even my pencil drawings. I also often draw with H pencils, and I know a lot of instructors advise against both of those habits. So You are not alone in frustrated with the wrong tooth in paper. it didn't come out bad though. It was a "happy accident".
    and again, the lack of rendering is really the only negative I have. Hopefully admissions can see what you are capable of, and don't judge it as not fully fleshed out or anything like that. I think I've seen portfolios in the passed that didn't have fully rendered pieces and got accepted, so don't worry about it.
    and thanx for sharin!

Quote Originally Posted by mkmcm View Post
    Thanks themegagod for your feedback, I love to hear other people's opinions as it is hard for me to see my work with fresh eyes! Odd that tumblr won't let you enlarge them, clicking on them usually works fine for me. I completely agree with you on the spine looking flat, I wish I could've fixed that but oh well. It's my oldest piece so I'm not too upset about it. I can see what you mean about my figures looking still, that is something i am working on now. I'm glad you like the hands and feet, it's an area I've been working hard on to improve! And yes...I do love using color. Hopefully that shows through! Now all I can do is cross my fingers that I can attend Ringling next fall, it's been my dream for a while now. (:
    You're welcome, thanks for giving me the opportunity to look at it!
    And it is odd that tumblr won't let me enlarge. maybe my browser needs an update of some sort. When I click on a photo my screen dims, but the photo never shows up. IDK what that's all about.
    Your love of color does show, and it's a good thing it does too. at least imo.

Again! good luck everyone! hoping to meet you in april (accepted students day) and see you all around the halls (if not classes) in august!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    You're welcome, thanks for giving me the opportunity to look at it!
    And it is odd that tumblr won't let me enlarge. maybe my browser needs an update of some sort. When I click on a photo my screen dims, but the photo never shows up. IDK what that's all about.
    Yeah the screen is supposed to dim and then after a while the picture will load full res.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys good luck!!! I know that everyone is anticipating getting the letter! But like my mom has always said, "If it is meant to be, it will happen!". So best wishes, and @themgagod see you in April. I hope to see everyone in April!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so my post from two weeks ago has finally appeared, way over yonder. Included in this post is info on what defines full/part time, my opinions and experiences with scheduling and whether lib arts classes are geared towards majors, and housing info vs. living off campus in Sarasota. Congrats to everyone who just submitted, please keep us updated!

Firmitas, utilitas, venustas.

Design with purpose, create with passion.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Lectriece For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post

@steam: For only being drawing for two years, you are doing very well. Your figures all seem to have good gestures and movement, and there appears to be a good showing of progress throughout.
    I'd advise, try to “soften” your lines a bit, and add more curves. It seems as though your contours are still very angular, and though that is a step in many artists progressions of making figure drawings, after blocking in the shapes, you should try to round out the contours more and more. As well as I mentioned to escaphlia, adding more rendering and tone would show your understanding of light and tone, something I find hard to see in the pieces you have up.
    As far as figures go though, depending on the amount of time spent on each, these are up there with people who have been drawing for quite some time. Definitely, heading in the right direction for only two years of drawing.
    Oh wow! Thank you very much for the critique. Yours are always very well thought out and helpful. I will admit I do have problems with light and tone but I did manage to stick a few pieces in my portfolio that focuses on that. I'll have to put them up on my Tumblr lol. And I'll make sure to work on everything else you've mentioned. As for how long my pieces were, the gestures were usually about 1 min while the full figure drawing were about 15 min.

In other news: It seems like at least one of my teachers sent in my letter of recommendation! So that scare is dealt with. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow! Thank you very much for the critique. Yours are always very well thought out and helpful. I will admit I do have problems with light and tone but I did manage to stick a few pieces in my portfolio that focuses on that. I'll have to put them up on my Tumblr lol. And I'll make sure to work on everything else you've mentioned. As for how long my pieces were, the gestures were usually about 1 min while the full figure drawing were about 15 min.

In other news: It seems like at least one of my teachers sent in my letter of recommendation! So that scare is dealt with. :3
    Don't want to butt in but you should try giving like 3,4 hours at least to get some parts of the muscles right. Gestures are good but I think that people want to see that you are spending more time on you works. Best thing you can do in my opinion is to get a pictue and copy it perfectly, doesn't matte if you end up spending 20 hours or more to do so (and still doesn't come out perfect) you will have leveled up by then (and manage to do muscles and form better). I don't know about your shading skills (since I didn't look that much) but if you lack anything just look at the basic shapes from a book and you will be fine. Oh and remember this you will do far more if you draw 10 hours straight one day, than 12 hours (summed up) for 2 days, I've noticed in myslef and many others that the creative part of the brain starts to kick more so keep that in mind.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to platformerbg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by platformerbg View Post
    Don't want to butt in but you should try giving like 3,4 hours at least to get some parts of the muscles right. Gestures are good but I think that people want to see that you are spending more time on you works. Best thing you can do in my opinion is to get a pictue and copy it perfectly, doesn't matte if you end up spending 20 hours or more to do so (and still doesn't come out perfect) you will have leveled up by then (and manage to do muscles and form better). I don't know about your shading skills (since I didn't look that much) but if you lack anything just look at the basic shapes from a book and you will be fine. Oh and remember this you will do far more if you draw 10 hours straight one day, than 12 hours (summed up) for 2 days, I've noticed in myslef and many others that the creative part of the brain starts to kick more so keep that in mind.
    Not a problem! It's a forum, butt in whenever you like. Thanks for the critique, I appreciate it. I'm aware my form and muscles are sometimes off, and I'll be looking into getting some muscle tutorials and drawing from them. However, I don't want to come off as someone unable to take a critique, there were a few things that bothered me about this critique. I'm not sure if you mean observing and drawing when you say "copying" or just flat out copying? If you mean flat out copying I'd like to point out that copying is never a good way to learn how to draw, ever. Another thing that really bugged me is the fact that you "didn't look that much." I'm sorry but it's kind of hard to take a critique from someone who didn't really take a good look at my art work. Last, I'm going to have to disagree with the 10 hours straight in one day. I understand everyone has their own way of practicing and that just happens to be yours and you're expressing what works for you. Sadly, I don't have the time to practice that much, I get in at least 2 to 3 hours of drawing everyday. I know, I know, I'm going to have to be drawing that much in art school so I should probably get used to it, right? Well, in art school I will most likely not have a job, not be going to a community college, and not be taking studio art classes on the side. I'll just be in an art school, with a program that suits my needs, and getting better at my craft.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to steampoweredseagoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hullloooo guys....

I've never posted on here before, but have had an account for years! I'm just a creeper than spies on portfolios and reads comments.

Cough. I'm a CA hopeful for Ringling this year. Don't know why I'm so determined to go to Ringling...but I am!

Here's my portfolio. Would you mind critiquing it? Prease? Thank you. :3

http://mangmang.deviantart.com/gallery/41767816

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hullloooo guys....

I've never posted on here before, but have had an account for years! I'm just a creeper than spies on portfolios and reads comments.

Cough. I'm a CA hopeful for Ringling this year. Don't know why I'm so determined to go to Ringling...but I am!

Here's my portfolio. Would you mind critiquing it? Prease? Thank you. :3

http://mangmang.deviantart.com/gallery/41767816

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not a problem! It's a forum, butt in whenever you like. Thanks for the critique, I appreciate it. I'm aware my form and muscles are sometimes off, and I'll be looking into getting some muscle tutorials and drawing from them. However, I don't want to come off as someone unable to take a critique, there were a few things that bothered me about this critique. I'm not sure if you mean observing and drawing when you say "copying" or just flat out copying? If you mean flat out copying I'd like to point out that copying is never a good way to learn how to draw, ever. Another thing that really bugged me is the fact that you "didn't look that much." I'm sorry but it's kind of hard to take a critique from someone who didn't really take a good look at my art work. Last, I'm going to have to disagree with the 10 hours straight in one day. I understand everyone has their own way of practicing and that just happens to be yours and you're expressing what works for you. Sadly, I don't have the time to practice that much, I get in at least 2 to 3 hours of drawing everyday. I know, I know, I'm going to have to be drawing that much in art school so I should probably get used to it, right? Well, in art school I will most likely not have a job, not be going to a community college, and not be taking studio art classes on the side. I'll just be in an art school, with a program that suits my needs, and getting better at my craft.
    Ok I looked into your artwork a bit more (and now understand your situation). About copying I meant observing, it's just that a picture is a flat 2d object so I am used to call it copying since there is no "space"and it's easier to coordinate and take measurements with pencil. Considering the time you have you can still do a drawing that would normally take you let's say 7,8 hours in two days. All I am saying is that you need to play around more a little. Now that I looked at your most recent work I would most certainly recommend you looking more into perspective and shading and don't press that hard with the pencil, try making more delicate lines, normally the lines should be of equal value of the highest value of shading next to it(so if there is a very dark hole, make a dark line).
    Check these out (if you haven't already):
    http://www.placidchaos.com/Loomis/
    Loomis has the best books about anatomy and has some information on shading and perspective.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to platformerbg For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26