Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 Hopefuls - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Live* not love there. Lol but they do love it. Either way, I'm stoked.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AllieAmmons View Post
    Awesome! So I guess I will be seeing you there! It's so exciting to think we will be going down! I got accepted to the Photography and digital imaging program! Do you have any ideas where you'll be staying? Are you going to acceptance day April 13? I'm very nervous, I live in NC and I'm moving to beautiful Sarasota! But my boyfriend and his family love there! Still nervous though!! Congrats on the acceptance!!!
    see you then.
    earlier this year (technically last year) I moved down to Tampa from New Jersey. That was a big move, now I'm only about an hour north of sarasota so It wont be too far or a move.
    I was actually thinking about looking to investing in bank foreclosure properties in sarasota if I can get the money together. after looking at the cost of dorming It may actually be cheaper in the long run. (12,000 over the course of 4 years is not cheap IMO). But there are worse fates than living on campus, and I think that is mostly my back-up.
    I am definitely going to Acceptance day, unless something strange happens. need to find where I put my invitation card. I haven't seen it in awhile.
    I've yet to visit sarasota, though once I get my car into good working order I think I might plan a visit. I hear sarasota is beautiful though, and if it's anything like Tampa I can't complain.
    i'd like to have it set up, so that while i'm in school all I need to focus on is school: but that is turning out to be a lot easier said than done.
    Only thing I'm nervous about, is keeping everything together, and staying on track. Need to get all loans in order... Get what money I can through family...
    Congrats on getting in as well! The worst part is over... LOL. From what I understand the hard part is just starting, but I'm actually really excited to start. In fact I received my acceptance way back in November, and I anxious to start.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    see you then.
    earlier this year (technically last year) I moved down to Tampa from New Jersey. That was a big move, now I'm only about an hour north of sarasota so It wont be too far or a move.
    I was actually thinking about looking to investing in bank foreclosure properties in sarasota if I can get the money together. after looking at the cost of dorming It may actually be cheaper in the long run. (12,000 over the course of 4 years is not cheap IMO). But there are worse fates than living on campus, and I think that is mostly my back-up.
    I am definitely going to Acceptance day, unless something strange happens. need to find where I put my invitation card. I haven't seen it in awhile.
    I've yet to visit sarasota, though once I get my car into good working order I think I might plan a visit. I hear sarasota is beautiful though, and if it's anything like Tampa I can't complain.
    i'd like to have it set up, so that while i'm in school all I need to focus on is school: but that is turning out to be a lot easier said than done.
    Only thing I'm nervous about, is keeping everything together, and staying on track. Need to get all loans in order... Get what money I can through family...
    Congrats on getting in as well! The worst part is over... LOL. From what I understand the hard part is just starting, but I'm actually really excited to start. In fact I received my acceptance way back in November, and I anxious to start.
    I will tell you, Sarasota is beautiful! I've been down there so much that I know it very well. Tampa is pretty nice too! You'll like the beaches and what not! I actually got accepted late November. But yes, student loans, scraping up 500 dollars for acceptance, and tuition is a pain! I must say that I'm very anxious and ready though! You'll have to add me on FB to see my portfolio, there is too many pictures to put up! Hahah, but it's pretty cool how one school can bring so many people close. Alex (my boyfriend) one of his best friends went to ringling and graduated in Illustration. That's actually how I heard about the school! Just hoping my friend gets in too! I plan to live on campus. It is truly the cheapest option for my first year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is anyone in this thread that is currently at or planning to attend ringling willing to elaborate on some ways to pay for this school? I'm a fall 2013 perspective and I have no idea how I would pay for this, despite the fact that it's been my dream school since 8th grade. $49,520 is a lot to pay per year. Regardless of what art school I attend it will all be paid in loans fully. Do you guys have any advice for loans with college, working through college and how much it helps, and whether you guys think it's worth it to get in such a hole for this school? I live in michigan and I plan to live in residence should I attend ringling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not planning on commuting from Tampa. I figure I'll rent off campus housing. Even if it is in a bad neighborhood. Tampa was easiest since I have family in north tampa, the Westley chapel area.

and it's about an hour drive. It's not too bad of a commute compared to some others.
    In south Jersey (atlantic city) I knew people that rode the train to philly daily to go to school and work, and that was about an hour and a half.

If you are so close to Sarasota, why wait till college to get the annual pass? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by art-of-tennis View Post
    Is anyone in this thread that is currently at or planning to attend ringling willing to elaborate on some ways to pay for this school? I'm a fall 2013 perspective and I have no idea how I would pay for this, despite the fact that it's been my dream school since 8th grade. $49,520 is a lot to pay per year. Regardless of what art school I attend it will all be paid in loans fully. Do you guys have any advice for loans with college, working through college and how much it helps, and whether you guys think it's worth it to get in such a hole for this school? I live in michigan and I plan to live in residence should I attend ringling.
    Hmm, I would go to ringling. It's the best art school you'll find. You'll get your money's worth. They have jobs on campus that you can do. Also, there are loans out there that are low each month. They'll take a long time to pay off, but it's worth it. Ringling is all about getting people work after graduation. Scouts attend ringling to look at your portfolio throughout the course of your 4 years. I live in NC and I am attending this Fall. I know people who have went to ringling and their art is absolutely breathtaking. Sarasota is amazing. If I were you, apply for every scholarship available and get your FASFA done by March 1st so they can put you in for some scholarships that way!

@themegagod. I Live in NC. My boyfriend and his family love in Sarasota. He is in med school In Boca, so I will have to live on campus because my parents are paying for ringling. I will have to love on campus my first year, andante do the RA for my second and go from there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by art-of-tennis View Post
    I sort of lucked out; in a very dark manner of being lucky. My father was murdered, due to a rather long story, but he had a bit of money through family businesses that were recently sold. After finishing dealing with intestate handling and so on; I should be able to pay for school, through inheritance. But by no means am I rich. If it weren't for the timing of everything coming together well, I have no idea how I would be able to attend.
    By no means am I rich; even with the inheritance, and if i could i would give it all to have my father still here; but a sob story is not in order. I live with my mom, who raised me mostly single (again long story) so me and my older brother lived most of our lives in a household of about 20,000 a year. sometimes less. I have no idea how I would pay for school without the inheritance.
    Those who are graduating high school, be sure to try for all scholarships you can find.
    most scholarships seem to be given to high school juniors and seniors so get as many of those as you can. I know I would have, if I could. The other scholarships I've seen are for those currently in college, so as soon as I can, I am going to apply for those once I start taking classes in Ringling.

I'd also say find out as much about loans and payment plans as you can. go to your regular bank and find out what they offer their clients. Get all of your family members to help as you can.
    I know that if I need to take out any loans, I won't be able to use my mom as a co-signer as she has some really bad credit. I'd have to ask other family members to help if they can. I'm not sure with my very limited credit history how much I'd be able to take out on my own name alone.

But if you can pay any of the debt straight away, I'd say try to get that out of the way. Work full time during the summer, unless you are interning and so on. Everything that is taken out in loans will very rapidly multiply. I've seen 10,000 in loans take years and years to pay off. I can't imagine what 200,000.00 dollars in debt would do to a life... especially if one cannot find a job where you can put away almost 20,000 a year into debt payment. That basically means that your job decisions may very well be based on what they pay, and not what you want to do...

If I didn't have the money; I don't know if I would attend Ringling... The reason I'm choosing the school is because I do believe its worth it based on what I've read; but If I didn't have the money, I may choose a state school alternative. I may be forced to. the education may not be as good, but the debt would be a whole lot less. I'd have no way to afford going to ringling, except maybe begging all of my family to pitch in, and at least co sign my loans.

Not sure If my story helps you at all, but it's basically the way I look at things. not sure whats accurate and what isn't so if you see anything in my thought process that doesn't make sense, be sure to correct me. Any way... yeah- it seems the real downside is going to be paying for all of this... and not going crazy every time I write a check. I think I'm going to be sick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @themegagod Very well put. Inspiring story. I'm so sorry to hear that about your father!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey so I submitted my portfolio the other day for Game Art and Design, and I really hope I get into that. I got into it last year, but decided to take a year off, so I have hopes i can get in again. Even if I don't get into GAD, I will still got to Ringling, just a different major.

So if anyone wants to, add me on Facebook, my name is Zaq Schlanger

@allieammons I added you already because, although I didn't apply for it, I am a pretty serious photographer and I would love to see your work.

I still may pursue photography as a career on the side or as my main career, I just need to figure that out over the next few years, and take GAD classes for my other career path

Good luck anyone else who awaits the good news (hopefully no bad news)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I applied for Ringling with Illustration and got accepted last year. But in the end, i couldn't go because of financial problems. I am sure i will get some scholarships including Ringling.
    I am a CA hopeful, just applied for CA major. I hope everything is alrights. *fingers crossed* DD

@Allie: I am happy for you! Congrats on getting accepted by Ringling! I agree with you that school brings people close.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesketchbook View Post
    I applied for Ringling with Illustration and got accepted last year. But in the end, i couldn't go because of financial problems. I am sure i will get some scholarships including Ringling.
    I am a CA hopeful, just applied for CA major. I hope everything is alrights. *fingers crossed* DD

@Allie: I am happy for you! Congrats on getting accepted by Ringling! I agree with you that school brings people close.
    Thank you! Yeah, hopefully I'll get some scholarships also! At least something will help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so, I just received a message from on of my professors, we'll call her professor A, asking me for the addresses for the schools she was supposed to send my letters of recommendation to, even though I gave her the school websites so she could grab the addresses from there, so I know she didn't send in my Ringling letter of recommendation. I should have checked my email earlier but I thought I had everything under control. My other professor, we'll call her professor B, that I gave the same list to did not do this. However, I got a letter from another school that I was applying to that stated they received professor B's letter of recommendation but I don't know if she sent letters to Ringling or if she encountered the same problem as my other teacher. If she did she never messaged me about this. Does anyone know how I can tell if any of my letter's of recommendation were sent? Will Ringling give me a confirmation message like the other school I applied to did? If she didn't are teachers allowed to send letters of recommendation through email so it can get there quicker? I tried calling Ringling admissions but I had to leave a message, who knows how long it will take for them to get back to me. I contacted my professor B about it too but I know she'll take a while to get back to me. I'm basically freaking out a little bit over here. I know Ringling will not accept me at all without a letter of recommendation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys! Good luck to you i ended not applying this year, i'll graduate from my current major and then gonna applyto ringling (fall 2014)
    Wish you the best of the luck to all of you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @steampoweredseagoat I've gotta say, trying to get my teachers to get my recommendations done was a pain, and I'm not even sure they arrived on time. So I'm basically in the same boat as you.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JAndrews For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by steampoweredseagoat View Post
    Okay so, I just received a message from on of my professors, we'll call her professor A, asking me for the addresses for the schools she was supposed to send my letters of recommendation to, even though I gave her the school websites so she could grab the addresses from there, so I know she didn't send in my Ringling letter of recommendation. I should have checked my email earlier but I thought I had everything under control. My other professor, we'll call her professor B, that I gave the same list to did not do this. However, I got a letter from another school that I was applying to that stated they received professor B's letter of recommendation but I don't know if she sent letters to Ringling or if she encountered the same problem as my other teacher. If she did she never messaged me about this. Does anyone know how I can tell if any of my letter's of recommendation were sent? Will Ringling give me a confirmation message like the other school I applied to did? If she didn't are teachers allowed to send letters of recommendation through email so it can get there quicker? I tried calling Ringling admissions but I had to leave a message, who knows how long it will take for them to get back to me. I contacted my professor B about it too but I know she'll take a while to get back to me. I'm basically freaking out a little bit over here. I know Ringling will not accept me at all without a letter of recommendation.
    When in doubt, call again. Call ringling two and three times a day. eventually you will get either your admissions counselor or another equally as helpful admissions person. Also call your professors as much as possible, and badger the living hell out of them. as they say the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

If I remember right i didn't get a confirmation letter from Ringling, but it did show on the site that you do your application on, that everything was completed.

And i'm not sure about the methods they can be sent in, I think my professors and teacher did it entirely on digital forms, but if you have hard copies, ask about doing it via fax.
    Also try to remain calm- I've heard that there has been many a case where a bit of wiggle room was given in the time of receiving an applicant's letters of recommendation, but I wouldn't wait too long.
    IMO never assume someone you are asking something from knows how to do anything. That may sound rude- and in fact sort of is- but I've learned through trial and error the more you make sure people you ask things of, have completed their tasks, the less side tracked they become. This includes professors, lawyers doctors, and of course underlings and minions.

Leave an email every day and at least two voice mails, one before and one after their lunch time, and I'm sure you will get the answers you seek with in a work week. LOL, If you can even record the messeges you leave with the time and date, that way no one can claim you didn't try to call/ contact them.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @themgagod knows how to really get a hold of some ringling folks! Hahah, no but really, you have to call them A LOT!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my god, okay. I'll have to call again tomorrow. I sent them an email too today on top of calling. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ steam: yeaaaah, just do what tmg says and speak to ringling and harass your teachers who wrote your letters of rec because thats fucking ridiculous, your future depends on those letters LOL on common app letters of rec are supposed to be uploaded WITHIN common app. you're supposed to invite your teachers to submit a letter of rec, so just double check you did invite them because they aren't supposed to be mailing in anything xD

@ rebooking: aww well good luck with graduation!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ anomalexie: You can either do the common app rec or submit a letter of rec through mail/I think email is okay too. I decided on the letter of rec, instead of the whole common application thing, which apparently was a big mistake on my part. xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anomalexie what do you mean by "on common app letters of rec are supposed to be uploaded Within common app"? arent letter of rec are send separately by the teachers?

at any rate, STEAM, make sure you leave your number and name on the voice mail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ watervase: last year when i used common app you had to "invite instructors" through common app so they could upload the letters of rec through there and students can't see it or edit it or anything. It sends them an email, im assuming, with a link to upload letters. its faster, it tells you when your instructors have turned it in so you know you have everything done.

@ steam: ohhh, I seeee. I thought you could only do it through common app, but I wasn't totally confident on mailing as an option.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anomalexie oh, they change it this year i guess, I asked my instructors to send them for me, then I called to make sure it arrived.

btw anyone applying for different schools too. I'm also applying to SVA as back up. I know this thread focus on Ringling, but it's not a bad idea to have back up plans.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterVase17 View Post
    @anomalexie oh, they change it this year i guess, I asked my instructors to send them for me, then I called to make sure it arrived.

btw anyone applying for different schools too. I'm also applying to SVA as back up. I know this thread focus on Ringling, but it's not a bad idea to have back up plans.
    If I hadn't gotten in, I was definitely thinking of applying to SVA (as most of my family is up north) possibly CalARts, and what ever the nearest state school was. I decided that this year I was going to a y four year college, and if I got into ringling, that was my first choice. Lol. I got in so early I didn't have to really worry about plan Bs, but most definitly, I think having back-up schools is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    @ watervase: last year when i used common app you had to "invite instructors" through common app so they could upload the letters of rec through there and students can't see it or edit it or anything. It sends them an email, im assuming, with a link to upload letters. its faster, it tells you when your instructors have turned it in so you know you have everything done.

@ steam: ohhh, I seeee. I thought you could only do it through common app, but I wasn't totally confident on mailing as an option.
    I was thinking the same thing. One of my teachers was really confused by the whole common app thing, but eventually we had worked through it. I also didn't realize until the last minute that one of the "letters" had to be done by my guidance counselor. Through email I begged my old high school guidance counselor to fill it out, as I couldn't find the contact information for my college counselor- but in the end it all worked out. she sent the letter, they accepted it, and now this year I was accepted. yay!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I hadn't gotten in, I was definitely thinking of applying to SVA (as most of my family is up north) possibly CalARts, and what ever the nearest state school was. I decided that this year I was going to a y four year college, and if I got into ringling, that was my first choice. Lol. I got in so early I didn't have to really worry about plan Bs, but most definitly, I think having back-up schools is a great idea.

I was thinking the same thing. One of my teachers was really confused by the whole common app thing, but eventually we had worked through it. I also didn't realize until the last minute that one of the "letters" had to be done by my guidance counselor. Through email I begged my old high school guidance counselor to fill it out, as I couldn't find the contact information for my college counselor- but in the end it all worked out. she sent the letter, they accepted it, and now this year I was accepted. yay!
    Yea I have to go to a 4 years college this year, I'm at a community college now, and I can't waste any more time at a community college. I'm also applying to scad too. What do you mean by one of the letters have to be send by guidance counselor? thought only need the teacher rec. dont tell me it's mandatory.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to WaterVase17 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterVase17 View Post

I'm also applying to SVA, along with Digipen, LCAD, and SCAD. Yeah, I have quite a few backups. xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ watervase: two teacher recs or one teacher and one guidance counselor

Yeah I don't have backups this is my only choice and last shot XD

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by anomalexie View Post
    @ watervase: two teacher recs or one teacher and one guidance counselor

Yeah I don't have backups this is my only choice and last shot XD
    mini heart attack lol awesome I have two teachers recs, good thing I sent in 2. anomalexie you dont need back up, your portfolio is great, id be shock if you dont get in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait...you need two recs I thought you only needed one?

EDIT: This is what it says on the website, Ask one of your instructors to complete a College Instructor Evaluation Form*, OR submit a letter of recommendation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @steam never heard of lcad, where is it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ watervase: Laguna Beach, California. here is the school website if you're interested

35. The Following User Says Thank You to steampoweredseagoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ steam: it seems lots of things have changed since last year hahahaha last year you needed two XD but I guess that makes it easier, right?

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anomalexie For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 25