Thanks

High Schooler Opinions Needed on Figure Drawing

Hi all

I may have an opportunity to teach a figure drawing class for high school students at an art center close to my home. However, the education director there has found that enrollment is usually low for this type of class. She feels strongly about having the class as she thinks it's really important for portfolios and general artistic development, but is looking for a different way to present it rather than just another figure drawing class.

I'm curious if those of you in high school have any particular feelings about figure drawing classes—whether they're interesting to you or not, and if they are what you would look for in such a class. Ultimately, I'd like to hear from the source what would be exciting in a figure drawing class for a high schooler (other than the nudity, of course).

Thanks!

Tim

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,723 Times in 4,629 Posts
    I used to take one of my sons life drawing with me from the age of 12 (he got the full lecture beforehand). He hated gesture drawings, and actually asked me if it was okay to do a portrait once. He needed a light hand on structure drawing, but was okay with it being pulled apart (gently) if it helped him the next time. His fellow students were very jealous. It may take one class before they're queuing up, then you'll have to sort out the serious ones from the voyeurs.

Thanks
    I'm actually not that concerned right now about actually teaching the class—I've got enough experience on that side that even though I haven't taught figure drawing specifically to teenagers I think I can sort things out if and when it actually happens. More it's about the right way to pitch the class to get people in the door in the first place.

Thanks
    When I was high school age and a little younger I used to take some (mostly figure drawing) classes. Not in my school and most people were adults. We had two teachers. The first one I liked. We started with croquis, pencil and charcoal, then did some more refined ones and later on also painted. I liked his classes. He was the type to grab your pencil once in a while and do some lines himself, which was hard to get to grips with, but he did get the point across. He also used to talk a lot, about everything from his trip to Cuba in the early 90s to criticizing veterinary care, but he was very humorous. These were just all around interesting classes. He had different models almost every time and he varied the concepts and themes a lot. Then he left and the other one was... I did not feel it was my moneys worth with him. He showed up in the beginning of the class, set the model up and then went for lunch, returned at the end, said how good everyone was doing and left. Right now, as a student of architecture, I have a painting class that has a very similar teacher to the latter. If it was not mandatory I probably wouldn't bother to drag my ass there.

Thanks
    I'm in high school and I wish my school provided figure drawing.
    Also I think its pretty fun to do gesture drawings, it helps me a lot.

Thanks
    "Art is sex drawing!"
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |