Should I upgrade to CS6?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Should I upgrade to CS6?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Should I upgrade to CS6?

Hey there creative people,
    Have CS4, and thinking about upgrading to CS6.
    For mainly digital painting!

Is it worth it?

In advance,...I'm grateful for your opinion.
    Thanks heaps!

Sketchbook

Need to fill this up!
    Finally Finished

Mostly traditional media.
    Fine Art

www.jsnzart.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've now got the trial version of CS6, and loving it!

Sketchbook

Need to fill this up!
    Finally Finished

Fine Art

www.jsnzart.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Here in studio we have cs6, and i don't like it. Trial version was better optimized. This one is to slow(needs way more RAM), and there isn't many new features comparing to cs5. So my advice is to go with cs5.

M

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MatejaPetkovic View Post
    Here in studio we have cs6, and i don't like it. Trial version was better optimized. This one is to slow(needs way more RAM), and there isn't many new features comparing to cs5. So my advice is to go with cs5.

M
    What is the newest feature that adobe is pushing with CS6 over 5? I know with 5, the feature that was promoted a lot was the blending brushes
    and the puppet manipulation (which seems more like a novelty to me) as well as the smart fill. I've also heard that CS6 really liked Adobe Bridge
    a whole lot. Which is something that annoyed me about earlier versions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe it was Dave Rapoza who mentioned how he thought that CS6 felt more consciously designed for digital painting, rather than just being an after thought (or something to that effect.)

Can you guys attest to this statement? Or at least see anything that hints at why he would say this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guyz!
    Can't upgrade to cs5,...only cs6!
    There are many new features since cs4, which is what I currently have. And I probly won't use half of 'em!
    Wondering if I should look at Painter!???

Don't know who Dave Rapoza is but, he might have a good point!

Sketchbook

Need to fill this up!
    Finally Finished

Fine Art

www.jsnzart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I say no

I just upgraded from 4 to 6, and am a) having problems with 6 and b) not feeling it was worth it for the features I use. Puppet warp (which came with 5 I guess) is cool, and I think I would use that a bit, and the mixer brushes are cool too. But After working for an hour or so all of a sudden several functions become... non-functional. I can't "save as" or add new layers, etc., even though the program still seems to be working. Quit and restart and the problem is fixed, temporarily. I have spent much time with Adobe help on this, to no avail. I have plenty of ram and scratch disk space, a nice defragged HD, etc. Efficiency remains at 100% so I don't think it's a ram problem anyway. If I had to guess, maybe 6 doesn't like XP, but that is just a guess. I'm not trashing the product, but for me CS4 is just fine, so I'm going to return 6. It's just not worth the few hundred bucks it costs.

Find tutorials, tips and advice at
    ILLUSTRATION FIXATION

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beatrice View Post
    I just upgraded from 4 to 6, and am a) having problems with 6 and b) not feeling it was worth it for the features I use. Puppet warp (which came with 5 I guess) is cool, and I think I would use that a bit, and the mixer brushes are cool too. But After working for an hour or so all of a sudden several functions become... non-functional. I can't "save as" or add new layers, etc., even though the program still seems to be working. Quit and restart and the problem is fixed, temporarily. I have spent much time with Adobe help on this, to no avail. I have plenty of ram and scratch disk space, a nice defragged HD, etc. Efficiency remains at 100% so I don't think it's a ram problem anyway. If I had to guess, maybe 6 doesn't like XP, but that is just a guess. I'm not trashing the product, but for me CS4 is just fine, so I'm going to return 6. It's just not worth the few hundred bucks it costs.
    do you have win xp 64?.. I know that photoshop hasn't dropped 32 bit operation systems support yet (like, I believe, aftereffects did),
    but installing cs5 or cs6 without giving them at least 2-3 GB of dedicated ram is quite pointless.
    cs6 is a really great update, the stability and performance are amazing, especially when compared with pain'ter
    but it will require investing in both software and a fresh pc build.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
    I believe it was Dave Rapoza who mentioned how he thought that CS6 felt more consciously designed for digital painting, rather than just being an after thought (or something to that effect.)

Can you guys attest to this statement? Or at least see anything that hints at why he would say this?
    they pushed different aspects further with cs6 (maximum brush size of 5,000 px, better bristle brush performance, interesting brush tweaks - for example you can force any brush to respond to intuos/cintiq pen tilt changes), and there're a lot of less obvious improvements that make it worth upgrading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried the CS6 trial....to be honest....I'm sticking with CS5..at least for now.

It took me awhile to switch from CS4 to CS5, but there was one addition that made CS5 invaulable to me. They added a feature called Scrubby Zoom. I do most of my artwork on Tablet PCs, so I don't have all the express keys and scroll wheels that Intuos/Cintiq users have.....but Scrubby Zoom just utterly had such an effect on my work flow....I can't even use CS4 anymore without it slowing me down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i tried cs6 but im sticking with cs5 for now

reason ?
    brushes strokes are defintely slower (wich is horrible thing to do)
    the shortcut to change brush size on the fly (ctrl-alt-right click) is slower too with the tooltip appearing
    the transform tool is a bit slower

the scrub zoom is faster but it's not so important
    the liquify is faster but compared to the slow down of other features ...
    the new configurator (to make custom panels quickly) now accept buttons with icons wich is nice but ...
    saving in background is better
    some minor new options added to brush tweaking but the stupid mixer brushes are still the same

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.