Angel Warrior WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Angel Warrior WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angel Warrior WIP

Here are a few pics of an Angel Warrior or "Avenging Angel" that I am custom sculpting for a lady I met. It stands about 15 inches tall at the tip of the sword.

The shield will be made of clay, but I just used cardboard for a quick mock-up.

I have a few pieces to attach to it (skirt, shoulder armor, etc..) before I begin detailing it.

Let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like it , personally i cant make this so cant comment on it :-) . and i hope she gets hands soon :-D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit late to do anything about it, but her legs feel crazy short.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am pretty sure the length on her legs is okay, I think her skirt is way to thick to show where her legs are bent. Since the skirt is removable for now, I will get a pic later tonight with it off to show her legs. Hopefully I can get feedback on them in case I need to trim them down or bulk them up. Also, I will make her skirt much more thin such as cloth to better conform to her legs.

Also, her hands will have to be the very last thing I do since they will be the most delicate part on her, and they will be in the way as I work on everything else.

Thanks for the feedback though...stay tuned for updates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The mouth seems a bit to far down, but it might just be because of the hair/angle of photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not getting the legs either. And in general, it looks a bit short and stout and not very angelic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am also confused about the proportions. The head seems a bit large and the torso and legs do seem a tad too short.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like a dwarf angel. And dwarves have angels too, right? Why shouldn't they.

Seriously though, I think the others are right about the proportions. A good idea is to meassure all these things before you get too far. Even if you're pretty confident in your skills you could mess up in that area every now and again.

Also her hair looks sort of clumpy. Even if you're going for really generalized forms, I don't think that's how hair would behave realistically. Look at some reference.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could you just shoot 2-3 more pictures? A little further away and capturing the figure from the side. That should clarify a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some pictures showing her legs a bit better. I also removed her wings and hair just to give an idea of her basic proportions.

I am adding more length to her legs now, and as I do so it looks much better. Her feet will probably end up being the base. I may even end up extending the base, which will add to her overall height. I will add more pics that show the progress, but as i do so, the earlier pictures will become broken---due to hosting limitations.

I appreciate all of the advice and I understand there are many things that need improvement, but for now I would like to focus on main body proportions.

Last edited by SolitaryMan; September 21st, 2012 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, the legs are definetely too short.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Updated Progress

Here are a couple pictures of the angel with the legs lengthened. I admit that it looks tons better, but would still like any feedback regarding proportions.

Again, the legs will be mostly covered up with the skirt, and the boots will be armored.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that besides the proportions, the whole pose needs rethinking. From the side shots it seems she's frontloaded and clearly tipping forward. It might end up balanced with the mass of the wings physically, but on idea side you're saying the wings are really bloody heavy and she has trouble moving with them.

The legs seem to be going for a fighter stance, but instead end up with a sumo wrestler kind of pose where both legs bear equal weight. Overall it comes off really static. I'd suggest you start by deciding which of her legs is bearing most her her weight, tip the pelvis accordingly and continue to balance the pose from there. Make some curves with the body, not just straight lines.

I'm not quite sure if you're going for a cute chibi head, but if you are, I'd say move the eyes down and increase the size of the forehead to make the features more childlike. Otherwise it might be better to just reduce the size of the head. Actually you might want to increase the size of the cranium even if you do reduce the size of the head, it's so small at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some updated pictures. As per suggested I have increases cranium size, made head slightly smaller, lengthened her legs, lengthened nose, tilted the whole sculpture back so she doesn't seem so weighted on her shoulders. I have also, and am still reworking her cape.

I know the changes may not be too noticable in the pictures, but they really make a big difference.

When I am finished with the cape and skirt, boots, etc... and after I attach everything I think I will start detailing, unless somebody notices something horribly wrong with her that must be addressed.

Thanks again guys. I forgot how much feedback from other artists can really help refine my sculptures. Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would also change the hair, not sure if that hair on her face is really working. Try putting the hair behind her so it looks like it's flying in the wind.

Home of the Killer Concept Art Tutorials
    www.conceptartmasters.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know the hair does look kind of strange. The lady that I am sculpting this for specifically asked for her hair to be blowing in her face, so I am trying to do her hair as if it is being blown at an angle, not directly from the right of her, but also not directly from in front of her....somewhere in between. I will mess around with it a bit more to see if I can make it look better, yet still keep some of it in her face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks like a lot of work. Great job so far! I really think the head just looks too darn big though. Also, if her hair is supposed to be blowing in the wind, wouldn't there be more movement to her cape as well?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Elissiam. I will see about trimming her head down a bit when I attach the hair. I think the hair makes it look bigger too because it is so thick, but when I attach the hair I can shave off what I need to. I have also added the tips that are blowing in the wind to her cape, as well as changed her left hair to be blowing.

I have sculpted her boots, attached her skirt-which I think I will go back to tattered style, refined her mid-section a bit and other areas, and trimmed her ear size.

Here are the pictures:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.