Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Insect battle

Thanks

Talking Insect battle

Attachment 76435

Still getting to grips with creating good backgrounds and obviously the shadows suck.. that presents the biggest limitation thus far...

these two were created first on paper then rendered on the computer...

:chug:
    Last edited by emily g; January 12th, 2007 at 05:48 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to manky83 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Interesting. The bg is somewhat bland, but its not important that much. However, the detail on the wasp thing is not very good. Where are the wing lines? Did you actually even use refs? You dont have to stick detail to detail of a real insect, but keeping parts of them make it much better.

The scorpion is ok, but detail it in your painting some more. Mix the shadows and base colors better, they're distinct without good reason.

Thanks
    thanks for the tips.. I didnt use any visual refs for either.. just imagination and a blank page.. I have recently realised that scorpions look nothin at all like this. The heads are tiny and have like two eyes.. hell i was going for a cross between a horribly Mutated spider and a scorpion ok..

yeah the background is only just a temporary solution.. definatley not what i wanted but I had just spent ages doing the wasp so i was tired..

Ive asked around about good backgrounds, & im still thinking about options aswell.. maybe i could just paint it.. the problem arises trying to get them looking like they'll fit togeather.

I was having heaps of trouble getting the two insects to look like they were in the same pic.. lolz

Thanks
    Oblio
    MANKY83 - my advice is to leave this Finished Area for about one year and find yourself some friends in the Life Drawing Section.
    We will be happy to assist you in your progress.
    You want a good advice? If you want to do art - delete photoshop from your computer and check back on it after some more time, ok?
    Listen to the man, seriously. Get rid of freekin photoshop, you so dont need it, infact right now its damaging you. Seriously Get a pencil and a piece of paper, and DRAW FROM LIFE. Then post them in the life drawing section. I hate to burst your bubble, but at this stage your not drawing. Jesus you could be, its not that hard, but your certainly not going to get there using photoshop filters. Infact I challenge you to pick up a pencil, go to the mall or a caffee and just draw people. Seriously, your first ones will look like shit, hell mine did. But you will get better. Now stay the fuck away from photoshop, get yerself a pencil and a sketchbook, and start to draw everything you see. This advice has been repeated so many times on ca.org its not even funny. But it WORKS.

Listen to Oblio he is what you might call, a WISE CA MONKEY, he knows what hes talking about.
    Seriously I suggest starting a daily sketchbook, and acctually keeping it regular. And for gods sake no more photoshop for you, especially not int the daily sketchbook. Now go draw stuff, you dont need amazing materials to do it, just a burnt stick and bit of cardboard when it comes down to it. Draw what you see, not what you think you see, dont even worry about colours at the moment, focus on values and lighting. Read a bunch of tutorials, there are plenty good ones here on ca.

Now go draw with a pencil and paper.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Red_Rook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    that's a great picture! here's some things to work on:

- anatomy
    - color
    - texture
    - lighting
    - composition
    - linework
    - gesture
    - perspective
    - character design
    - environment design
    - movement
    - shading
    - depth

uh... i might have forgotten something...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ken wong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If you wanna create a good background..then dont try to start in phoitoshop dude! You gotta draw these things out and then try to apply some basic colors to it if you wanna get some decent results (at least for a beginner)...cause Im probably mistaken about the exact name but it looks like you just used a "render clouds" filter in photoshop and bingo, you have "a background"
    Work on shadows, motions, make the thing interesting to look at, give us something else other than a basic side shot, etc, etc
    Xavier Garcia - Concept Artist

Website Twitter Tumblr

Thanks
    Yeah, I got to agree, and don't take this badly - there is nothing greater to see than an artist just strating out, who, through hard work and patience, becomes a skilled, experienced ninja. Turn off the computer, buy a block of the cheapest paper you can get your hands on and never stop drawing. Draw everything you see around you - you will never be wasting your time - piles of clothes, dishes on the table, people waiting in line, your friends and family, your feet, your left/right hand, your pets. There are other sections way more suitable for your posting than "finished" - use them, it'll help people relate to your work.

Thanks
    first I'd like to give you props on posting your art. some people are just too scared to show their stuff. its good to see that you came too the forums looking for the help you need. but the second step is to listen to the advice. I don't know about you but I'm going to listen to red rook and just draw from life for awhile, it can only help...besides I need to get out more
    bad is good and good is only okay...

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Scorpions have 8 eyes in three different places, not two.

Aidan

Thanks
    I don't want to sound mean, but this is laughably bad, man. Like the others have said, you need to sharpen your basics and draw from life. Photoshop is a tool that EXTENDS your abilities, not a crutch to lean on when your abilities are crippled.

So start over and rethink yourself, as a novice artist. It'll do you good.

Thanks
    thanks for all the feedback... It has been good to get some constructive critisim. Ive been redrawing the fight scene so that they are more engaged/detailed I will post this in the sketches forum when I have worked on it further..

Im well aware that Im at the bottom of a big ladder.. this is only my 4th attempt at rendering lineart... so be nice,

There's definitely more to be learnt... Also, the quality will improve once I can get hold of a tablet!!!

Thanks
    tablet? no man, that would mean that you would learn yet anpother tool halfway bad before you ever got good with anything before it!
    please please please, forget any computer application, those are only tools to make something that is already good, better. Never the other way around.
    My advice, which may or may not be right, is to just stick to drawing on paper, do it over and over again for the next year until people start asking "cool, when are you gonna color it?"
    forget about the tablet for now
    Xavier Garcia - Concept Artist

Website Twitter Tumblr

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Xavi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

listen young padawan...

The members here are correct. If you study the incredible artists on this forum they all have something in common. Its their skills as a 2d artist. They do not rely on photoshop or a tablet. all their skill comes from foundation-meaning life drawing, painting, color theory, etc. One thing that you should ALWAYS use is reference-the pros do it too. If you want any image to look photo-real, you cant use your imagination, you have to base it off of reality. Study Life drawing. Start there.
    davpunk!

Thanks
    Originally posted by manky83
    thanks for all the feedback... It has been good to get some constructive critisim. Ive been redrawing the fight scene so that they are more engaged/detailed I will post this in the sketches forum when I have worked on it further..

Im well aware that Im at the bottom of a big ladder.. this is only my 4th attempt at rendering lineart... so be nice,

There's definitely more to be learnt... Also, the quality will improve once I can get hold of a tablet!!!
    KID DO YOU FREAKING SPEAK ENGLISH?

get the FUCK away from photoshop

NO TABLET FOR YOU, seriously you are damaging yourself with photoshop. STAY AWAY FROM IT. get a pencil and some newsprint, the cheapest crappiesnt stuff you can find, the backs of envelopes, napkins anything. GET AWAY FROM DIGITAL, render stuff with a pencil. PENCIL goddamit, PS is only hurting you. Why dont you listen. Some of the people that have replied to your threads are some o the biggest pros in the industry ok, they know what there talking about and obviously know alot more then you. Ask em and they will tell you to go with a pencil and paper. Dont buy a tablet, get a scanner then start drawing by hand. To be really honest you dont have the faintest clue what your doing, and these people are trying to help you, LISTEN TO THEM!!

Dont try and render line art in photoshop, when you cant even do the line art. Learn to do the lines first. The learn about Value and Light. ANATOMY IS A MUST. Then practice your pencil rendering. Then start teaching yourself stuff about colour, get some traditional paints and see what happens when you mix them, see how they react, look at the old masters, once you got that down along with everything else ken mentioned. THEN AND ONLY THEN START GOING DIGITAL.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red_Rook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Red Rook, I'm gonna shake your hand in Texas.

*Hilarity ensues*
    I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast