Ocad or sheridan illustration or sheridan animation or max the mutt?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Ocad or sheridan illustration or sheridan animation or max the mutt?

Hi, I'm currently beginning my 3rd year at OCAD illustration but I don't think its the right fit for me anymore, and I'm thinking of applying to Sheridan.

However the problems are: I don't know whether the animation or illustration program is right for me. I'm interested concept art, but my goal in life would be to create of my own animated series since I also like to create my own stories/characters. I don't just want to be an animator but have animation as one of my skill sets. I also live 10 mins away from OCAD, but to go to sheridan i'd have to commute from downtown toronto which would be 2 hrs I think.
    I'm not 100% happy with OCAD. BUT i'm also not sure if sheridan is any better either, because I hear things like 'its all about portfolio and yourself not the school' so I'm not even sure if it will matter which school I graduate from. I'd like some info before I make the leap:

1. Difference between animation and illustration @ sheridan and which one would you guys say fits me more
    2. How much is average rent per month at oakville (not interested in living on campus just cheap rent)
    3. I'm scared to make a move since I already entered 3rd year and if i went into sheridan i'd have to start from yr 1 again and I'm not exactly rich... BTW do they offer advanced standing for animation/illustration?
    4. I've also looked into Max the mutt's concept art program, i'm interested since its still in toronto but can anyone give me info on that program
    5. Whats are the classes, teachers and students like? Are they friendly/supportive?
    6. would especially like to hear from current students and especially grads and industry workers from all programs mentioned. Btw are the internships paid and related to what you are studying (not just vaguely)

Sorry I know this is a lot, but this issue is really bothering me and I'm feeling stuck. Any help is appreciated thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    would love to know the answer to these questions too. Considering Sheridan Illustration for next fall, but I am already a professional animator. I just want to take illustration to hopefully gain a career with more creative control... most interested in above questions #1,2,5 & 6

any sheridan graduates on here??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. I can't really answer this question, but this artist: http://travale.tumblr.com/ has done both animation and illustration at Sheridan and I think she would be a great help to you.
    2. I can't tell you this as well, since I commute to Oakville. But you should check out this website for an idea: http://www.places4students.com/ My classmates pay around $300-600 a month, but it depends on where you live and how many people you share with.
    3. I believe there is actually, but I'm not entirely sure! The best way to get an answer for this is to call The Oakville campus.
    5. It really depends. I'm so far in my first year of Illustration and I love it. My teachers are super helpful, and my classmates are so lovely. First year is pretty basic foundation stuff, trying to get everyone to the same level. Second year (from what I hear) is when they try to weed people out.
    6. Between third and fourth year you do unpaid co-op. The lack of pay may suck but you do get a lot of experience!

imo, it sounds like you're better suited for animation. Emily Carroll has done the animation programme at Sheridan and she's a very successful Illustrator. In both Animation and Illustration you learn basic art skills, but it's the specific skill sets that vary. You seem to love animation! But I really suggest applying for both.
    I think in November Sheridan has their Portfolio Day thingy. You should go as early as you can, go to both Illustration and Animation portfolio and ask the teachers there for their suggestions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BeenaMistry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot beenamistry! Is there any info on the sheridan site your the portfolio day? is it held at sheridan campus?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to know about this portfolio day as well.

Found it!! False alarm. 2011 not 2012. I'll call in the morning and get an official date.

Last edited by Dunnstar; October 20th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliah View Post
    Thanks a lot beenamistry! Is there any info on the sheridan site your the portfolio day? is it held at sheridan campus?
    http://www.esainfo.ca/portfolio-day-2012/191716 Here you go!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BeenaMistry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BeenaMistry View Post
    Thank you so much!!! Where can we get the location and times and what not. It just says "participating schools" not any more information than that.

Last edited by Dunnstar; October 21st, 2012 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    Thank you so much!!! Where can we get the location and times and what not. It just says "participating schools" not any more information than that.
    The event seems to be held at the school itself (675 Royal York Road, Toronto, Canada M8Y 2T1). Not sure about times, but you should keep checking for more info

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I was looking into it. http://www.esainfo.ca/guide-to-performances-and-events
    Not open to the public. Shame
    But, good news with the bad, found the actual portfolio day
    http://design.yorku.ca/?p=1561
    This information should be easier to find, honestly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I was looking into it. http://www.esainfo.ca/guide-to-performances-and-events
    Not open to the public. Shame
    But, good news with the bad, found the actual portfolio day
    http://design.yorku.ca/?p=1561
    This information should be easier to find, honestly.
    That is actually specific to York/Sheridan's joint graphic design programme
    I tried looking at the website of where it as held last year, The Design Exchange, but nothing.
    I can't seem to find anymore info. I suggest going to Sheridan's open house in November though. I didn't find out about last year's portfolio day until the end of October, so you may have to hold out for more info

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh okay. Do they hold one every year? I would love to go to their open house, its quite the trip though.

Would you say its worth it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh okay. Do they hold one every year? I would love to go to their open house, its quite the trip though.

Would you say its worth it?
    Yeah, it's every year. I think this year it's on November 17
    I personally don't think it's worth it. It really just is a tour of the school and what they offer. You get the same tour after you get in anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just out of curiosity why do you feel OCAD's illustration program doesn't suit you any more?
    The reason I'm asking is because I'm interested in applying to it but I've heard mixed reviews.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by glass.onion View Post
    Just out of curiosity why do you feel OCAD's illustration program doesn't suit you any more?
    The reason I'm asking is because I'm interested in applying to it but I've heard mixed reviews.
    Hey! I wasn't pursuing that particular degree but I've been to the school. my suggestion.. Keep moving. They say its a "concept" driven school and maybe it is, but I can't respect a school that completely disregards the basics. I remember talking to the faculty director and program coordinator of the illustration program and even their presentation sounded like a joke. They were saying stuff like "most intensive illustration program IN DA WOOOORLLD" and he said that to me with a straight face, even though I was at that school for a year already and knew just how "intensive" the programs were. They make very little effort to get you life drawing sessions, you'll be doing alot of 'essay' and 'art history' courses. Infact when I was there i had to worry more about essays than paintings. And I only recieving one drawing course for the year.
    However they are throwing a portfolio day on the 5th w alot of major art school players, so might as well check it out for yourself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I wasn't pursuing that particular degree but I've been to the school. my suggestion.. Keep moving. They say its a "concept" driven school and maybe it is, but I can't respect a school that completely disregards the basics. I remember talking to the faculty director and program coordinator of the illustration program and even their presentation sounded like a joke. They were saying stuff like "most intensive illustration program IN DA WOOOORLLD" and he said that to me with a straight face, even though I was at that school for a year already and knew just how "intensive" the programs were. They make very little effort to get you life drawing sessions, you'll be doing alot of 'essay' and 'art history' courses. Infact when I was there i had to worry more about essays than paintings. And I only recieving one drawing course for the year.
    However they are throwing a portfolio day on the 5th w alot of major art school players, so might as well check it out for yourself.
    Yeah I heard that OCAD just expects you to already know the fundamentals and doesn't do a lot of technical training in that regard.
    Did you end up switching programs/schools entirely?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I heard that OCAD just expects you to already know the fundamentals and doesn't do a lot of technical training in that regard.
    Did you end up switching programs/schools entirely?
    I don't know what OCAD expects but they do not help you develop your technical skills, its honestly just a big expensive art school hangout with faculities but no real instruction.
    Even a quick skim of the courses shows you how little the fundamentals are touched on. I knew it wasnt the right fit by the end of the first semester but I kept on trucking despite my intution yelling at me.

Yes siree, applying to animation. Good luck though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The reason why theres mixed reviews is because it's not for everyone, including me. I wish I would've dropped OCAD in my first year like my friend, instead of dropping out in my 3rd. If you want to go into editorial or storybook illustration OCAD is something to consider. The illustration OCAD is leaning toward doesn't match what I want to learn for my future career, so I had to leave. However I feel the few people who do well after graduating OCAD are people who are already skilled in the first place and probably didn't even need OCAD but maybe wanted a degree. If your someone who wants to explore backup options or just want to take some hobby classes part time, OCAD might be good, but if your an ambitious artist who knows what you want and wants to improve hands on SKILLS in drawing and software, OCAD is not a career/industry driven school, they just say they are. I think it might have been a decent school years ago when it was a more studio based college, now theres more neo liberal university BS. It's like half university, half studio art college but you don't get the best of any side, it's this weird middle ground. The studio classes is mostly the prof talking for a long time, there aren't a lot of pure work periods which is essential for art students. THere's also a lack of the "post-secondary experience" which I can tolerate as long as I'm learning a lot of valuable things from my program which I realized I wasn't. People there are polite but hard to make a real connection with, they push artists to compete with each other instead of helping each other as a community, but I think that's more true for the design faculty than the more outgoing fine arts faculty. And also: beware hipsters, hipsters everywhere.

Long story short?: I think if you want to go into concept art, storyboarding, animation, comics, or any industry that values strong drawing/painting skill you're probably better off not going to OCAD. Just my experience though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the hipster thing is not an exaggeration. They are everywhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I'm actually in first year art and I've been pretty unhappy about the lack of technical skills taught, especially in classes like drawing where you would expect to learn how to draw.

I was hoping to transfer into illustration in hopes it'd be a better program but from what you've said I'm starting to wondering if the whole open concept nature and lack of industry preparation is true amongst most of the programs.

I'll probably end up finishing this year at least and applying to other programs in the Fall.

Members who have read this thread: 8