Starting again.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Starting again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Starting again.

Hi everyone. First of all, sorry for my bad english.

I'm 16 years old and since I was a kid I've always been drawing with anime style. However, last year I discovered ConceptArt and saw a lot of art from other people and read their discussions. I noticed then that anime style was leaving me nowhere and I was not evolving.

So here I am. Don't know what I should do. Do I need to start from the very beginning or… what? What should I read or what should I draw?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep on drawing, don't stop. Have fun with it.
    The quickest way to improve is draw real objects and people. Study their forms, how light
    and shadow effects how you see them. Draw objects that you find interesting. Your pets,
    your friends, action figures, etc...

Submit your artwork here on the forums for some pointers and check out other peoples
    work in the critique section and read the advice they were given.

Feel free to start your own sketchbook thread in the sketchbook section and show us
    your progress. All you need is pencil, paper and the drive to improve.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What do you WANT to draw?

There is a lot of good anime style out there as well, so if it's somethig you enjoy doing don't stop doing it. The same fundamentals that apply to 'realistic' art applies to manga and anime. The problem is not that you're doing anime, the problem is that you're not doing the fundamentals as Star Eater said.

Before you draw or do anything else. Have a clear vision in your mind of where you want to go. Do you want to keep on doing anime? Do you want to start doing conceptart? become a "fine artist"? Get into illustration? These are important questions. Ask yourself, "what do I want to do?"

Just doodling about, starting to draw from life and read up on books without a clear picture of why you are doing it and what you want it to do for you can be damaging. You need to have a purpose behind your actions. Start there.

And when the moment comes where you say to yourself, "I actually don't know what I want to do. All I know is that I love drawing and want to get better at it" then we can point you to 'how'.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both for the replies. They were very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Just keep on drawing, don't stop. Have fun with it.
    The quickest way to improve is draw real objects and people. Study their forms, how light
    and shadow effects how you see them. Draw objects that you find interesting. Your pets,
    your friends, action figures, etc...

Submit your artwork here on the forums for some pointers and check out other peoples
    work in the critique section and read the advice they were given.

Feel free to start your own sketchbook thread in the sketchbook section and show us
    your progress. All you need is pencil, paper and the drive to improve.
    Great suggestions. I'm gonna try drawing real people and objects, as you said, and create a sketchbook here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DefiledVisions View Post

There is a lot of good anime style out there as well, so if it's somethig you enjoy doing don't stop doing it. The same fundamentals that apply to 'realistic' art applies to manga and anime. The problem is not that you're doing anime, the problem is that you're not doing the fundamentals as Star Eater said.

Before you draw or do anything else. Have a clear vision in your mind of where you want to go. Do you want to keep on doing anime? Do you want to start doing conceptart? become a "fine artist"? Get into illustration? These are important questions. Ask yourself, "what do I want to do?"

Just doodling about, starting to draw from life and read up on books without a clear picture of why you are doing it and what you want it to do for you can be damaging. You need to have a purpose behind your actions. Start there.

And when the moment comes where you say to yourself, "I actually don't know what I want to do. All I know is that I love drawing and want to get better at it" then we can point you to 'how'.
    You have pointed out some good questions. What I want is, obviously, be better at drawing. In any way, not in only one specific genre; I want to make illustrations, learn to draw realistically, develop a comic style and draw less anime.

I've read a bit of Andrew Loomis books and didn't liked it very much. It's good, but not really appropriated for what I want. Just wondering if there any good "how to draw" book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MNagao View Post
    Hi everyone. First of all, sorry for my bad english.

I'm 16 years old and since I was a kid I've always been drawing with anime style. However, last year I discovered ConceptArt and saw a lot of art from other people and read their discussions. I noticed then that anime style was leaving me nowhere and I was not evolving.

So here I am. Don't know what I should do. Do I need to start from the very beginning or… what? What should I read or what should I draw?
    I am an anime fan also and i gotta say, the only diffirence between anime style and other style, or western style, is from the neck up. That's all. It's all in the face.
    You are getting nowhere, maybe because you only do carbon copy drawing of the style of those artist you like till now, and not actually learn anything in-depth.

there's nothing wrong with anime style, but you gotta accept the fact that there's something wrong with you that need fixing. Move on to comic style.....probably wont help you that much.
    I like anime and manga, those thing are really the reason i got into drawing. but i learn that i must study more if i wanna get better, anime or not.
    So i learn the basic, the anatomy, perspective, etc.

Just learn more and you will draw better.
    For anatomy, if you are not a reader type, then i suggest this.
    http://alienthink.com/
    Just get 101 and 102 and do 5-10 lesson a day (they are about 20 min each). After a month you will have a very good understanding of anatomy.
    But really, it's all about perserverance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Think less or nothing about style when you start out. Draw, look at your drawing and think about what you can improve. Then study that area until you've improved. Now repeat. If you gain a solid foundation, you'll become a draftsman, and then whatever style you want to do won't be a matter of bad habits or techniques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MNagao View Post
    I've read a bit of Andrew Loomis books and didn't liked it very much. It's good, but not really appropriated for what I want. Just wondering if there any good "how to draw" book.
    You're going to have to be more specific than that to get people to help you. What do you want to learn? What wasn't appropriate about Loomis? I'm a newb and haven't read many drawing books but the only "how to draw" books I really know of are those awful "how to draw <noun>" books where they only teach you how to draw one specific thing at one specific angle in one specific style, and maaaybe "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" (haven't read it myself, but it seem to be suggested often to people who have absolutely no idea where to begin with drawing). There's a lot to learn when it comes to art so it helps to pick one thing to learn at a time instead of overwhelming yourself by learning how to draw everything at once. For instance, "today I practice figures, tomorrow I will practice perspective, the day after that I will study anatomy," etc.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DefiledVisions View Post

^^THAT!! read that one more time.. believe me, i'm stuck in that hole more than you think.. i wanna focus on a certain thing, but even that i can't figure out!

decide what you wanna do, focus, practice.. it works, i've seen it. I can't do it because i'm undecided.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Book List <-- Well, here's the artist's reading list if you are interested.

Here are also some free videos from Stan Prokopenko that I personally found really useful
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't just draw mindlessly, though. There are a lot of things to consider when drawing anything.

You should consider reading up on master's advice and guidance through well reviewed books (i.e. Alla Prima, Bridgman's Guide to Life Drawing, Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting, etc...), trying to attend workshops from artists you respect if you can afford it, posting here for critiques, and all that jazz.

And while you're drawing, you apply the things you've learned from reading, being taught, or whatever. You could be drawing from imagination, from reference, from life, or a combination of whatever. Just learn to apply concepts and don't think of things flatly. Learn to think three-dimensionally while applying all of these concepts -- it'll help you make your 2D drawings more dimensional.

There's a billion other things that I can't cover, and still have yet to learn, so just really get out there and learn. Draw...draw a lot. Learn a lot. Simple as that.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the replies.

I feel much more confident (or at least less lost) about my goals after reading all this. I've saved all the sites suggested here and came to the conclusion that I should study anatomy again (and also drawing real objects, as I said in my last post).

Again, thanks. You guys hava helped me a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

You may find this useful,
    http://muddycolors.blogspot.co.uk/20...t-tracing.html

It's a training tool first, it's also a Time Machine. It saves me time.

Last edited by Charlie D; September 22nd, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
    Learning to see

"...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.