Is the dissapointement just me or?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Is the dissapointement just me or?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Is the dissapointement just me or?

    I started to draw again after a very long break.
    So I'm still a beginner, that is probably also a reason, but still.

    Each time I make a drawing, I enjoy doing it and kinda happy with it.
    Then i scan it (or when i don't but have a look at it later on), take another look at the work and get disappointing.
    I see many...too many things that i didn't saw before.
    Shades,perspective,lines,.. everything.

    It's frustrating and it really demotivate me, I know I have too learn from them...

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    2,942
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Ok.

    Glad you are drawing again, but otherwise, what's your point?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,157
    Thanks
    1,169
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 776 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Just accept that mistakes are part of the process. If you get too hung up on everything you make being awesome, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. You're a beginner, you know that, and you yet you're expecting by some miracle to make immaculate work. Focus more on progress, on learning and having control over the process of making work. If you are able to see the mistakes are understand how the work needs to be fixed, even that is something to be proud of. Right now you need to learn to see the mistakes earlier so you can fix them while producing the drawing. Take a step back, hold it up to a mirror, get a second opinion, etc., locate the weakness, and try to solve it. Repeat for infinity.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    When I have a second look at a work I got dissapointed, thought it was better.

    I'm I the only one who get frustrated?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    235
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 78 Times in 57 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yeah I think you should be happy you are actually learning enough to see the errors in your work. Your brain just gets used to the errors when you are working that's why people flip the image (if working in PS) or use a mirror to look at it when using traditional tools. Just remember those errors that you noticed and repeat them in your head to fix them on your next piece. That's how you begin to get better, so be happy that you notice and aren't one of those people who deny there are areas they need to improve.

    Edit: no you are not the only one who get frustrated. Just scroll through some threads you'll find tons of budding artists facing difficulties and frustrations. But the advice is always to use it. Then get back to drawing.

    My Website I am available for work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to GuruGaia For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    2,337
    Thanks
    1,074
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    This is absolutely normal and is an inevitable part of the process. Things NEVER look as good as you thought they did when you look at them later. Treat everything as a learning experience and as motivation to do better next time and you'll be fine. Because it's ALWAYS going to be a learning experience. There's ALWAYS something you could do better next time.

    Also, when you scan images, you're generally looking at them at a reduced size - seeing them reduced makes it easier to see mistakes. So does looking at pictures upside down, or backwards in a mirror. THIS IS A GOOD THING. If you can see your mistakes, you can work on fixing them.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    641
    Thanks
    203
    Thanked 211 Times in 193 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    No it is not just you. Same here Also as noted above it is actually a good thing because it means you can see your own mistakes, which is the first step towards improvement.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,167
    Thanks
    751
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by warre View Post
    When I have a second look at a work I got dissapointed, thought it was better.

    I'm I the only one who get frustrated?
    No. This happens to most artists at some stage of the development. Focus on the good feeling you get from finishing the drawing. You will become disappointed in the drawing when you look again, but hopefully by this point you are working on a second drawing and have hope that the second drawing will be better. It is important to continue making new drawings and fixing the mistakes you see so that you always think that the NEXT drawing will be the really good one. Because one day that next drawing really is going to be good, and you will look at it again and still be happy with it.

    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

    "There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Thank you for the reply's.
    I'm relieved I'm not alone, even if I'm a beginner.
    I knew about the mirror but didn't used it yet, with PS i do. thanks for the tip.

    Quote Originally Posted by GuruGaia View Post
    Edit: no you are not the only one who get frustrated. Just scroll through some threads you'll find tons of budding artists facing difficulties and frustrations. But the advice is always to use it. Then get back to drawing.
    This forum is very active, I mostly try to see as many sketchbooks, finished works, tutorials and pinned topics.
    I probably didn't notice it .

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    LOL Same shit happens to me dude. But for it's constant while I work I'm not happy with the outcomes... The other day I even told myself "Fuck it You can't draw so stop trying to invent" Now I'm here on CA breaking out my shitty scanner to start a sketchbook. Hello CA!

    Advice from me a beginner... that feeling probably wont ever go away even when you reach pro status xD But I don't know it might vanish.

    My sketchbook.
    Zhanglu's art blows my mind!

    I have a deviantart but only use it as an online portfolio. It's Like storage ^^
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yes I was also wondering if I should continue to draw...
    Maybe you are right and drawing is a constant battle against yourself to try get better.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #12
    Black Spot's Avatar
    Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,705
    Thanks
    3,231
    Thanked 5,371 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Ha! Whenever I think I've cracked it, I come back a week later and say, 'What is this shit?'

    It's fun learning this thing called art, isn't it?


    I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #13
    Elwell's Avatar
    Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yes, it's just you. Everybody else in the universe makes perfect art every time, and has since they first started. Happy now?


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Well thanks for the support reply Elwell...
    It's not that I expect myself to make perfect art.
    It think it's a rude reaction.

    My question was :
    If I look at a work later on it was not that good as I thought it was, and it's disappointing.
    Do others feel the same?

    and not:
    why I can't make perfect art?

    If you think my question is stupid don't use your time reply to it.

    Last edited by warre; August 31st, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    2,942
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by warre View Post
    Well thanks for the support reply Elwell...
    It's not that I expect myself to make perfect art.
    It think it's a rude reaction.

    My question was :
    If I look at a work later on it was not that good as I thought it was, and it's disappointing.
    Do others feel the same?

    and not:
    why I can't make perfect art?

    If you think my question is stupid don't use your time reply to it.
    Oh come on, don't pretend that you did not know the answer
    already. You practically answered your own question in your
    first post.

    Quote Originally Posted by warre View Post
    Yes I was also wondering if I should continue to draw...
    Either shit or get off the pot man. You are just wasting time with this thread.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The question was if others also had the same feeling, yes maybe i should have know.
    But I got more frustrated and this afternoon and I made this topic.

    Second quote you made was a reaction I had on someone else reaction, don't pull it out of the context.

    Anyway i got the point.
    No need for me to waste time on those reaction.
    I'm not here to start any flame topic.

    I'm a beginner at drawing and stumble on this.
    Is it wrong of me too ask?
    If i see some reaction I take it as yes.
    It seems more people have this frustration, and that is what i wanted to know.

    I guess you never got frustrated and you sure never talked about with others.

    Last edited by warre; August 31st, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Either shit or get off the pot man.
    LMAO I'm gonna shout that next time someones taking a dump at Mc Donalds toilets just before I walk out.

    We keeps it classy out here.

    My sketchbook.
    Zhanglu's art blows my mind!

    I have a deviantart but only use it as an online portfolio. It's Like storage ^^
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    2,942
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SketchAlike View Post
    LMAO I'm gonna shout that next time someones taking a dump at Mc Donalds toilets just before I walk out.
    Do it.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    637
    Thanks
    528
    Thanked 193 Times in 164 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by warre View Post
    I started to draw again after a very long break.
    So I'm still a beginner, that is probably also a reason, but still.

    Each time I make a drawing, I enjoy doing it and kinda happy with it.
    Then i scan it (or when i don't but have a look at it later on), take another look at the work and get disappointing.
    I see many...too many things that i didn't saw before.
    Shades,perspective,lines,.. everything.

    It's frustrating and it really demotivate me, I know I have too learn from them...
    Yes, it happened to me many times. I think this disappointment over making mistakes is most likely a learned reaction from our parents and school. We had disappointment as a reaction for making mistakes and were perhaps even punished for making them.

    You have to learn to find mistakes and to like criticism. Really like it, not just bare with it. To look forward to it. Like a happy thing.

    You can't help feeling bad about your mistakes at first, it will come automatically, but remember to think to yourself when that happens: "It's OK, nothing to feel bad about. I should be glad I saw this. It's good I found this mistake. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Artists become good by finding mistakes/ problems in their art and solving them." or "I'm glad someone pointed this out to me. It doesn't matter if he was rude, that's his problem."

    You can be proud of your achievement such as in: "This drawing was the best I've done so far." What you shouldn't wish is that there will not be a next drawing which will be the best so far and so on. There will be better drawings. Always. You will never stop getting better.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fehérvárcsurgó, Hungary
    Posts
    2,542
    Thanks
    851
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    It's far from being one of the worst things for an artist to see their own work less good than they remembered...
    To be blindly conceited about weak stuff (to the point where one insults anyone who criticize the "artwork") and not drawing are both zillion times worse.
    Be happy you have some critic sense. It must be very hard without it. I can't know, my inner critic was always too developed for me (but I still know the fake 'oh it's not so bad' feeling while doing something awful ).
    Becoming an artist is a hard work, some people lose heart and stop drawing or hide in their comfort zone and stop improving... One should keep going forward and don't whine about current fails. Bright future builds on current fails, it's practice anyway, not fail

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Malmö, Sweden
    Posts
    2,136
    Thanks
    1,313
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonor View Post
    Yes, it happened to me many times. I think this disappointment over making mistakes is most likely a learned reaction from our parents and school. We had disappointment as a reaction for making mistakes and were perhaps even punished for making them.

    You have to learn to find mistakes and to like criticism. Really like it, not just bare with it. To look forward to it. Like a happy thing.

    You can't help feeling bad about your mistakes at first, it will come automatically, but remember to think to yourself when that happens: "It's OK, nothing to feel bad about. I should be glad I saw this. It's good I found this mistake. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Artists become good by finding mistakes/ problems in their art and solving them." or "I'm glad someone pointed this out to me. It doesn't matter if he was rude, that's his problem."

    You can be proud of your achievement such as in: "This drawing was the best I've done so far." What you shouldn't wish is that there will not be a next drawing which will be the best so far and so on. There will be better drawings. Always. You will never stop getting better.
    Well said Leonor. It's definitely a learned reaction picked up from childhood molding (scolding during the process of unfolding who we truly are? shamed for a 'failed' attempt to shine like a star?). Never mind the rhyme, just happened anyhow, I think you're spot on with what you write. Good stuff.

    Warre, Elwell was being sarcastic. But sometimes things don't come off in those tones when written. Don't take it personal, it wasn't a blame directed towards you even if it feels so. You've probably left this discussion some time ago, but even so, I want to tell you that you're not alone in that reaction of yours. Many people, including myself, have been struggling with it or are still struggling with it. It is frustrating, and it's not just something you can 'wish away'. It's deeply rooted so give it time. Replace it with a more healthy pattern of thoughts instead.

    Do as Leonor said, reassure yourself it's OK to be exactly where you are, at all times. Even if it feels like your art isn't as good as you first saw it, it's ok. You'll always be doing art that's not good enough if you walk around with unhealthy perfectionism and ideals. Learn from it instead. Accept that no matter how good or bad you draw today, in one year you'll have improved if you keep on drawing. Getting good at art is a long process of constantly working and learning from that work. Erase 'failure' from your vocabulary. It doesn't exist. You'll see that you ALWAYS learn something, and the payoff of gaining new knowledge always outweighs the 'failure'. It's a win.

    So, if you really feel that you want to draw. Start. Do it now and see everything you do as a piece of something greater, and nothing to get hung up on. Cheers.


    Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt





    Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt


    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  28. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    No I didn't left this discussion.
    As i don't know any drawer/painter in real life I have to ask those questions on forums/streams like this.
    And I don't have the time now to go to an art school either.
    I like sarcasm a lot, but "happy now?" didn't strike me as not personal. But that's maybe because my English is not that good.
    There are great replies here, but some let me hold back on this forum.
    I'm not a crybaby or what you call it, i just watch my posts here and not ask those not to ask questions or not to say replies. So this threat goes the wrong way.

    "Do it now and see everything you do as a piece of something greater, and nothing to get hung up on"
    "Replace it with a more healthy pattern of thoughts instead"
    Yes indeed.
    I used to do "Finnish" works before that took lot of time.
    Now i sketch/doodle more with the idea to learn/studie/...

    Last edited by warre; September 19th, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    2,942
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by warre View Post
    No I didn't left this discussion.
    As i don't know any drawer/painter in real life I have to ask those questions on forums/streams like this.
    And I don't have the time now to go to an art school either.
    I like sarcasm a lot, but "happy now?" didn't strike me as not personal. But that's maybe because my English is not that good.
    There are great replies here, but some let me hold back on this forum.
    I'm not a crybaby or what you call it, i just watch my posts here and not ask those not to ask questions or not to say replies. So this threat goes the wrong way.

    "Do it now and see everything you do as a piece of something greater, and nothing to get hung up on"
    "Replace it with a more healthy pattern of thoughts instead"
    Yes indeed.
    I used to do "Finnish" works before that took lot of time.
    Now i sketch/doodle more with the idea to learn/studie/...
    I understand, sometimes the language barrier can make things more difficult.
    And posts can be read incorrectly. Hope this thread has cleared some things up
    for you.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Thank you star eater

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  31. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    637
    Thanks
    528
    Thanked 193 Times in 164 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I just want to correct my own advice here:

    Quote Originally Posted by Leonor View Post
    You can't help feeling bad about your mistakes at first, it will come automatically
    This is not quite correct, feelings depend on the ideas supporting them. There's no automation involved. You have a value of what is important "to draw well", a situation that conflicts with your value "my drawing has flaws" and there's yet an idea of how to feel about it on top of that "I should feel disappointed".

    Once you question all the ideas that are getting in the way of progress, the emotions will go away. So work on understanding why mistakes are good and a reason to feel happy and not disappointed so your value remains "to draw well" and when "my drawing has flaws" happens your feeling is "yay! now I know so I can fix them"

    Finding mistakes is already making progress, it's already getting better at art.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  32. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I had to read you reply twice to get it leonor
    I asked myself how i didn't saw the mistake before... but when it was too late.
    But that was completely wrong, now i scetch much more and do less "finished" work, first I need to practice and study more.
    Thank you.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •