tips for more interesting still lifes
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: tips for more interesting still lifes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

tips for more interesting still lifes

Hey everyone!

Could you share some of your ideas in arranging still life's to make it more fun and interesting?
    For example: taking your time with the composition of your still, so you can like it enough, etc.
    I'm drawing a still life per day and I'm starting to feel that every still I draw is becoming a repetition of the previous ones.

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Collect cool junk. Arrange it in weird ways. Light it dramatically.

It doesn't have to be fruit and dishes all the time. You could set up tableaux with funky toys, for instance. Or raid thrift stores for weird junk. Personally I like drawing things with funky shapes, like shells and strange seed pods and animal bones - I pick up stuff like this when I find it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    See if you can tell a story with your still life. Recently I picked up a magazine and inside there was a painting of a hammer hanging over a piggy bank. Even just taken at face value, as two objects, you saw it and thought "oh no, what's going to happen?"

Or you could do still life with a theme. You could do "stuff I found in the basement", for example, or "junk food" or "opposites". Or you could think of a friend and gather together objects that remind you of them (instant birthday present, btw).

If you have artist friends you can hold a still life party where everybody brings a weird object they own. We did that in painting class once and everybody was assigned a different colour so the end result was controlled.

I tried going to garage sales to pick up things to paint, but that wasn't very successful. People own a lot of boring junk they want to get rid of. I've had more luck finding strange random things in alleyways on garbage day. I don't want to touch most of the stuff but one day I might go and do some plein-air painting of other people's garbage just because they put such weird shit out there.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found it quite fun to draw my World of Warcraft orc I've got on my desk, definitely helped me with lighting too. Draw power ranger action figures!

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really that's kind of your job as the artist...it's up to you to make them interesting. I make interesting ones all the time...for me.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can experiment with different colours, light sources, shapes, surfaces, levels of finishing, compositions and narratives. The variables are limitless, but how you go about it in an interesting way can only be upto you. Painting stuff that gets you excited can yield the best results. You could also look up still life artists for inspiration, as well as do studies of them to learn the techniques and ideas of the artist, and then apply them to you own work.

Last edited by B u r l; August 31st, 2012 at 09:55 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.