Anatomy Critique
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anatomy Critique

Hello to all you kind sirs and madams, first-time poster here.

I'd like to get some critique on a figure study I'm working on. While a reference would have been ideal, I had the urge to draw this particular stretching pose... so I just consulted a large mirror every now and then :T

My goal was to take one of my stylized characters and put her in a natural stretching pose, and I really needed to practice back anatomy and rendering anyway.

At the moment, the areas I'm least happy with are the right scapula and ribcage. The light source is supposed to be to girl's right and slightly forward from her, and I was struggling for a while with shape of the shadow cast by her right arm.

I wanted to keep the feet small and dainty, I just started the hair (and of course, you gotta have blue hair), and some remnants from the lineart are here and there.

Many thanks for your time and consideration, you'll find cake in the lobby.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously, I don't know what breasts what you have been looking at but they would never hand down on the side like that- especially since the woman is pulling her left arm towards her back- it would flatten the breast, not ... do whatever it is doing right now.

I can't really comment on anatomy issues or whatever problems you might have- but as a proud owner of breasts I just had to chip in here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Like LL, I can safely say boobs don't work like that, unless she was swinging and is a proud owner of a pair of pendulus tits.

I like the hands, arse and feet though. SO it's not all bad!
    Think of this positively. You've got yourself an excuse to draw atleast 100 pair of tits here, until you figure out how they are effected by gravity, neighburing muscles, and movement.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how ambitious this is, and its not bad to say the least. Let me preface this by noting that I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as a professional artist should be on the matter.

The right scapula is probably bothering you because: a) it's a tad too small; and b) there's little to no indication of teres major, teres minor, and infraspinatus. You need to study how they help define the edge of the armpit, how they interact with the deltoid, and how the trapezius interacts with this whole system. The head of the right triceps seems a little underdeveloped as well.

The ribs along the back are overstated, as they should be concealed by latissimus dorsi.

The thigh seems to be almost as thick as the waist. I'd tone down that width. The construction of the knee is alright, but I feel it can be a lot better. Study some reference in that pose, and study the shape of the bones and the tendons that surround the area and define its superficial structure.

Though I'm not certain, I think the arch of the foot is travelling far too much towards the lateral side of the foot. The lateral underside shouldn't really 'cave in' as much as the medial side.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LordLouis & Naidy:
    Thank you both very much for bringing that up. This character is supposed to have a large chest and I was trying to account for the way the left breast would flatten and slide over the ribcage, assuming it would be visible at this angle. By drawing through the volume of the ribcage, I do see that it's definitely reaching too far, even for the size I was going for. I'll tidy up the right one as well.

Hexokinase:
    You're right about the scapula, it does feel a bit small plus its top should be a little higher up to match the angle of the shoulder. As for the right triceps, I didn't think it would be visible under the fat when the arm is contracted, but it is natural to flex the triceps when stretching like this so I'll define it. I especially need to do that for the left arm, given that it's completely extended.

I agree with you on the ribs, I'll tone them down some and make the edge of the latissimus dorsi clearer. That should help with the armpit as well.

While I will go in and add some form to the teres major, teres minor, and infraspinatus, I find that these structures aren't as pronounced on people who aren't very toned in the upper back area.

Thanks for mentioning the lateral side of the foot, thigh width and knee. I just noticed that I should fix up the right external oblique, too.

Any thoughts on the overall contrast of the figure?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.