Could I be looking for work at my current skill level?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Could I be looking for work at my current skill level?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Could I be looking for work at my current skill level?

http://florgenstein.deviantart.com/gallery/

I'm not that great of an artist yet. I was looking through some of the freelance listings over at jobs.conceptart.org out of curiosity and I felt as if I could handle some. If I ever decided to do a job, I would do one just for the experience and just continue studying naked bodies and fruit all day like I've been because I know that's what I should be focusing on.

Hopefully you'll forgive me if I sound ahead of myself or if I'm in the wrong section

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Depends what work. I don't see any environments or actual illustrations, just people standing with empty backgrounds so I really wonder can you handle a job that requires those? Or a computer that can handle stuff for printing work if those are needed? Do you feel ready?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I do feel ready but only for some of the character design listings. I just worry about my skill level through other people's eyes and the bigger fish that might be swimming around the listings I'm looking at. I don't know how it all works because I'm so new to this side of art.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the worst that can happen is you submit your portfolio and get rejected... So if you see a listing you think you could handle, why not submit and see?

If you start getting work, well, then you're ready for that type of work. If you get nothing but rejections, you know you're not ready.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be honest - work on improving rather than applying. I would say you have a couple years of dedicated study ahead. Work from life as much as you can, study gesture, basic drawing fundamentals, media techniques and presentation. Continue to develop your imagination and rely less on derivative styles and copying current trends.

You're on the right track and have pottential...now just do what it takes to realize it.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If ya gotta ask. . .

And, no I won't provide traffic to an F'in' DA account by somebody who doesn't have a CA SB or any other participation in the community.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well you could...

...but the better question is, if you should.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If it were your money, would you hire you?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Depends on how hungry you are.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We should call that type of question "Elwell's Razor".

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a wide range of options out there in the art world. The sci-fi/fantasy genre is probably the most technique intensive. Take a look at the sheer volume of professional artists that draw at the grade school level and make a living. You just need to find where your work fits. I think that you're already better than some of the professional artists out there.

If you really want to start working in the art field right now... Don't focus on the hardest art field to succede in. Condsider some of the other easier art markets first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Well, the worst that can happen is you submit your portfolio and get rejected... So if you see a listing you think you could handle, why not submit and see?

If you start getting work, well, then you're ready for that type of work. If you get nothing but rejections, you know you're not ready.
    This is another reason why I made this post. Because I didn't even know you had to submit a portfolio. I barely know what a portfolio is supposed to look like. Maybe this is what I'll work on before the thought about working crosses my mind again.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    I'll be honest - work on improving rather than applying. I would say you have a couple years of dedicated study ahead. Work from life as much as you can, study gesture, basic drawing fundamentals, media techniques and presentation. Continue to develop your imagination and rely less on derivative styles and copying current trends.

You're on the right track and have pottential...now just do what it takes to realize it.
    Thank you, I will

Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    If ya gotta ask. . .

And, no I won't provide traffic to an F'in' DA account by somebody who doesn't have a CA SB or any other participation in the community.
    I do have a sketchbook which I don't update (which I should) and I participate in the community challenges although I just don't post.

Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Well you could...

...but the better question is, if you should.
    That's what I'm asking here lol

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Yeah sure, given the right job subject, I just wanted some opinions

Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    Depends on how hungry you are.
    Not very right now

Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    There is a wide range of options out there in the art world. The sci-fi/fantasy genre is probably the most technique intensive. Take a look at the sheer volume of professional artists that draw at the grade school level and make a living. You just need to find where your work fits. I think that you're already better than some of the professional artists out there.

If you really want to start working in the art field right now... Don't focus on the hardest art field to succede in. Condsider some of the other easier art markets first.
    I've seen a good amount of concept art that just wasn't drawn that great, but it was good enough to get the point across. I think I could get the job done, but I'm not far enough along the line in my opinion to make it look all fancy, and do the job I would like to do. Which is why I'll be doing what Jeff said.

Thank you for your answers everybody

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Florgenstein: Fair enough!

And, I think "Elwell's Razor" is a damn fine standard.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shoot... I guess I have to wait until everyone else I would rather hire is dead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, if you are at a level of art education where you didn't even know you'd need a portfolio to get a job, that's a good sign that you have a lot of things you need to figure out before you even begin trying to get work.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amarok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The way I see it, there's no harm in keeping a section in the looking for jobs section on a few different art forums and saying you're available for work. Just don't stop studying and thinking you're good enough, but keep yourself available. If you think about it though all the time spent building a portfolio for a certain job or looking for tons of random odd jobs can easily be used on improving towards those bigger jobs.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Florgenstein View Post
    I've seen a good amount of concept art that just wasn't drawn that great, but it was good enough to get the point across. I think I could get the job done, but I'm not far enough along the line in my opinion to make it look all fancy, and do the job I would like to do.
    Mind you, concept art and design isn't just about having the prettiest art, doing work like that requires problem solving in several levels (showing the character, making sure the character is doable/fits in whatever medium it's presented in, finding solutions so that you and the client are happy with, deadlines, etc) which is really easy to ignore if you only look at the quality of the image alone.
    Like, a lot of people can design a character of their own very easily but when you have to create a character for someone else while working with all that comes with it, it can be a totally different deal. Of course some of that will be easier when your overall skill level is better but still "getting the job done" usually needs more than one might often think.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I figure that if you're still asking the question instead of just applying, you aren't ready to run a small freelance business. It's incredibly easy to find out whether you have the skill, by whether people hire you or not. If you're not asking about the business side of things, then you don't even know what information you are missing.

Do some research, running a small business is not easy and if you start applying for freelance jobs then that's what you are going to be doing.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Florgenstein View Post
    Because I didn't even know you had to submit a portfolio. I barely know what a portfolio is supposed to look like.
    All righty then. If it were your money, would you hire somebody who didn't even know what the requirements for the job were?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post

care to elaborate on those easier fields hmm???

If I happen to comment on your sketchbook, please don't feel obliged to comment on mine. use that time instead to get back to work.

CA sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245741

Deviantart: http://luthertaylor.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All righty then. If it were your money, would you hire somebody who didn't even know what the requirements for the job were?
    Wheres the thanks button at? Hahah.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.