Been thinking about a new laptop, any new suggestions?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Been thinking about a new laptop, any new suggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Been thinking about a new laptop, any new suggestions?

I have no problem with Mac or PC, and I'll mainly be using it for Photoshop painting and schoolwork, so my main concern about this is the screen.

I was thinking about getting the new retina display MBP, but it's just so damn expensive after you add in its max RAM and HDD (kind of necessary since you can't upgrade it). I know it can display 99% of the srgb gamut, but damn....

Also, keep in mind, I'm a college student about to graduate. The future's kind of uncertain for me at the moment, so I really do need something I can use as a portable workstation. Getting a separate monitor would not only be too expensive, but kind of counterproductive too.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm looking too. I've been doing a little research and wanted to check out the CA.org forums for advice. Found this page on the Adobe.com site with hardware recommendations. In the past, they've only posted minimal requirements, this chart shows some of the things to look for in a system that would make it the best. As usual... money solves every problem. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DDar View Post
    I was thinking about getting the new retina display MBP, but it's just so damn expensive after you add in its max RAM and HDD (kind of necessary since you can't upgrade it). I know it can display 99% of the srgb gamut, but damn....
    The HDD and RAM can be upgraded yourself, as easy as making toast.
    Literally just plug and play, you just need to make sure the model numbers for the HDD and RAM are suitable for the MBP.

I'm definately not a Mac guy, I like to tinker way too much and I'm not too keen on the OS.
    But in saying that, I do use them at my uni and will have to get one in the future just for a handful of programs...

ANYWAY.... If you're looking at Mac's, I'd suggest getting a low spec one (with high spec CPU/GPU) and upgrade the HDD/SSD/RAM yourself.

In the PC area I'd suggest Dell, their computers are fine.
    Their warranty and customer service is great, next day in home service, or they'll even meet you at college/work.
    Thing we all need to understand is computers break, whether Apple or the sea of Window's Computers.

If OS is a thing, then I'd suggest Mac, as it's easy to put Windows on it, and is legal.

(meaning running multiple OS's)

Running OSX via Hackintosh/VM is a pain at times on PC, but can still work flawlessly.

If money is a real issue, I'd get a highend PC and upgrade RAM/HDD/SSD yourself if need be.

The first questions you should as are:
    What do I want to do with it?
    What software do I want to run?
    How big?
    How much?

I'd suggest nothing less than Core i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD.
    Either Intel Intergrated GPU or Nvidia, AMD are still good, but I've had issues with it sometimes.

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the retina macbook pro uses a internal ssd and the ram is soldered on. the entire case is thinner because of it then a non retina. owc has thye special ssd you need that will fit but its more work to install then a non retina.

please dont confuse retina macbook and non retina macbook pro as they are entirely different cases and hardware.

Members who have read this thread: 2