Dear god I have no idea what I'm doing...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Dear god I have no idea what I'm doing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dear god I have no idea what I'm doing...

I finally decided to play around with the tablet I bought. I've only ever used colored pencils before so...this is a brand new world for me. I tried playing and...this...happened. I have no idea the wrong/right way to do this. Should I just put the tablet back and learn traditional painting first?

What are some of the horrible, horrible beginner mistakes I'm making?

Everything is just fuzzy little lines right now.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad for beginner. There is no right way to paint as long as you're having fun.

I think pencil and paper is easier to learn with because you get better control. Thus it's easier to draw straight lines and get the basic proportions correct. Also you get to work at a much higher resolution on paper.

If you're learning painting they say gouache is the best since it is most similar to painting in photoshop.

I love crits!
    deviantart sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unsolicited draw over =P. mostly I advise working on the proportions

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I love crits!
    deviantart sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just wondering; why did you buy a tablet when you already figured you might as well learn to draw traditionally? Not implying anything, just curious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I say just mess around with both for now. You bought it, so you may as well mess around between your TRADITIONAL STUDIES which I hope you're doing plenty of. ;D

Learning to paint traditionally, and how to handle values will definitely help your digital painting in the long run.
    Oh, also
    Have you seen this guy's stuff?
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/video-library/
    He's a lot of practicle advice, some of which can be used towards your traditional paintings too.
    Good luck!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're used to physical media, working with a tablet has a "squishy" feel at first that can take a while to get used to..best to do it in stages. You might want to start by doing a drawing with an actual pencil on actual paper, scanning that in, and painting over it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertling View Post
    Not bad for beginner. There is no right way to paint as long as you're having fun.

I think pencil and paper is easier to learn with because you get better control. Thus it's easier to draw straight lines and get the basic proportions correct. Also you get to work at a much higher resolution on paper.

If you're learning painting they say gouache is the best since it is most similar to painting in photoshop.
    Thanks I had a hard time drawing with the tablet pen, it's much easier on paper. I have a set of Reeves gouache to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertling View Post
    Unsolicited draw over =P. mostly I advise working on the proportions
    Thanks, I know my proportions were way off. I was focusing more on "painting" than drawing, but next time I'll pay better attention to muscle and skeletal structure instead of making a weird blob thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    I'm just wondering; why did you buy a tablet when you already figured you might as well learn to draw traditionally? Not implying anything, just curious.
    It was a birthday present from my mom. Don't worry about implications, I would think it was weird too.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidy View Post
    I say just mess around with both for now. You bought it, so you may as well mess around between your TRADITIONAL STUDIES which I hope you're doing plenty of. ;D

Learning to paint traditionally, and how to handle values will definitely help your digital painting in the long run.
    Oh, also
    Have you seen this guy's stuff?
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/video-library/
    He's a lot of practicle advice, some of which can be used towards your traditional paintings too.
    Good luck!
    Yes, I've been doing lots and lots of traditional stuff. I've only seen the Unplugged series, but I'll go back and watch his painting stuff soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    If you're used to physical media, working with a tablet has a "squishy" feel at first that can take a while to get used to..best to do it in stages. You might want to start by doing a drawing with an actual pencil on actual paper, scanning that in, and painting over it.
    That's a really good idea and I feel dumb for not thinking to do that first :/ I'll try that today instead.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.