Help on Cast Shadow
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help on Cast Shadow

Hi guys! I've finally decided to create an account here so I can get some feedback on my WIPs.

Here's a piece I'm currently working on. Any other constructive crits are welcome but my main issue is the shadow being cast by the mountain in the foreground on the huge red dragon. Something's wrong with it but can't quite figure it out. A paint-over would be nice. Thanks!

Matt

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Plot out your shadow and light patterns much, much more simply. And small. You have decent separation between shadow and light "families" but they are all over the place. Do small thumbnail sketches defining the big shapes/volumes and how the light source casts their shadows. Pretty simple really but you have start very simple and then develop the image.

To really do it right/well you could simply build this complex set quickly and easily out of styrofoam, paper bags and some crumpled up newspaper - arrange it outdoors and study what is going on - morve things as needed. Voila - totally dialed in as far as light and shadow.

I refer you to Gurney's "Imaginitive Realism"...pick up your copy today before supplies run out. Operators are standing by...

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Jeff:
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99:
    Do small thumbnail sketches defining the big shapes/volumes and how the light source casts their shadows. Pretty simple really but you have start very simple and then develop the image.
    It should be a piece of cake to construct the cast shadow. If in doubt you could make a 3D model.
    Please give the image below some time to load.

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.