The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Last edited by steve kim; May 24th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve kim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eeeheehee... Depository.

Hiya Steve,
    It'd be nice to meet you sometime actually. I'll give myself a massive head wound so you'll recognize me at school next time.

Yeah it may be nice to actually have some sort of community at AC. It's a far cry from my last school which had quite a few extra-curricular groups and activities. The whole "all alone in the crowd" mentality that I find at AC sometimes is a bit discouraging. God, we need a club or something.

And you can stick Michael Maurino in some parentheses.. and then if you actually understand my nick, you get a free pencil

btw.. Phuzion is an AC guy too.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your nick is an anagram of your name. I'm on the other side of the country, so I'll just have to accept the pencil in spirit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'm not an Art Center student yet, but it is one of the school's I am currently considering heavily. It pretty much down to Art Center and Academy of Art Univ. in SF. does anyone have any suggestions on which one to choose, and if so y?

Riftrider (Keith Hall)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks for all the replies. You've answered a lot of my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftrider
    Well I'm not an Art Center student yet, but it is one of the school's I am currently considering heavily. It pretty much down to Art Center and Academy of Art Univ. in SF. does anyone have any suggestions on which one to choose, and if so y?

Riftrider (Keith Hall)
    Well, I've attended Academy of Art Univ. for the past two years as an Illustration major and I have to say there are pros and cons. First off, there are definitely some good teachers in the illustration and fine art dept. that will teach you how to draw and paint. There are also free workshops open to the students to draw from models and such. The cons are that the school let's anybody in so you'll have a lot of flaky students which can be discouraging at times. Another con is that the majors are very divided and there aren't really many entertainment oriented classes to collaborate with students from other majors. The only 'concept art' oriented classes I've found in the school are in the 2D animation department. I've begun putting together my application to art center this summer and I'm most likely going to apply for illustration. Art center just seems like a better school to me to break into the field of concept design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Helium Macaroni

btw.. Phuzion is an AC guy too.
    no wonder he's the shit.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe. thanks for putting me on the list, but I have to clear up that I won't be going til spring

great idea starting this thread though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chumps - hahaha. i used to give those new student tours too. i did a horrible job though cause i was nervous as hell, but it was good for the work study money and the free lunch as well as getting to go through registration early.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So can you guys give me the pro's and cons of Pasadena Art Center vs. Academy of Art Univ. in San Francisco? I'm seriously considering both schools due to the positive feedback I've had about them. Is there any other school I might look into (not that I need the added research). I'd perfer to stay in CA, but not if I can get a better education elsewhere. Im taking alot of foundation classes at a local JC that has a great art prog. and alot of my Gen Ed's. so hopefully those wont be an issue wherever I go. THanks 4 any help you can give.

Keith Hall

BTW I have some designs that I did for some of the equipment for a comic that the studio I worked did. Their pretty decent I think, but cartoony. I didn't know if it might be a good idea to include them in a portfolio for school admission. ne thoughts?

Last edited by Riftrider; June 16th, 2004 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im seriously considering switching schools and going to art center, how is it there? what is the course load like in the illustration degree? are the teachers good?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in the same boat. I want to transfer from USC - what was the first warning sign? let's just say a drawing class that focuses on the "philosophical" meaning behind a piece in rather sketchy (no pun intended), dogmatic ways was a pretty good indicator that I was (am) sunk if I stay there.

My primary interests are Illustration and Animation. A friend of mine (who is doing the same thing) has come to the conclusion that anyone who is anyone in illustration came out of AC. I'm thinking the new game plan will probably involve illustration at AC and animation courses with Genome in Hollywood.

I am a little concerned about the "cut throat" Art Center is reputed for. I mean, some of my best works was developed through academic discourse. That was the one positive thing about a couple of my art courses at SC - everyone was enthusiastic about learning from and getting ideas and helping everyone else. It wasn't as if discussing an idea sold it to someone else or made it any less. Hopefully that makes sense.

But any information on life as a student at AC would be more than a little welcome.
    -A

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I would recommend as a guy who still isn't quite a student is go to an open house or student show and look at all the work. Bottom line (at least for me) is the quality of the work, and if you want to immerse yourself in an environment that's going to push you, then it seems like a great place. I've visited about 3 times and I didn't see any weak pieces by any students.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would really love to see some of the artcenter dudes portfolios, a dream come true would ofcourse be to go to artcenter after highschool and some years of prep. ^^

Calle.

Self-improvement is masturbation, Self-destruction on the other hand....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was once an ArtCenter student but now I am apart of the underground resistance. Too long have they held my fellow Fine Arts brothers in oppression of the design!

Viva la resistance!

"You mean you don't make sound effects when you're painting?" -David Tillinghast

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just met with my admissions counselor and had a preliminary portfolio review. Everything was so streamlined, easy, and encouraging! I'd seriously recommend scheduling a tour - though it didn't take much to win me over! Hopefully I'll be seeing you AC peeps in January!

-Mazz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's streamlined until they start takin' kidneys!

Just kidding. The red tape is miles shorter than what I experienced at Pratt.

Hey Redder, when did you graduate? And I've always felt the same way about the AC fine art dept. You guys must go through hell considering how design oriented the curriculum is. I don't know exactly what kind of classes you take, but I always personally thought that anyone who wanted to be involved in fine art should move to NYC and attend a school like Pratt, which is much more fine art oriented, even the illustration department. I'd still be there if there was any hope of getting an entertainment design job.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium Macaroni
    Hey Redder, when did you graduate? And I've always felt the same way about the AC fine art dept. You guys must go through hell considering how design oriented the curriculum is. I don't know exactly what kind of classes you take, but I always personally thought that anyone who wanted to be involved in fine art should move to NYC and attend a school like Pratt, which is much more fine art oriented, even the illustration department. I'd still be there if there was any hope of getting an entertainment design job.
    I left ArtCenter after three years because I felt the program was underdeveloped and had to many problems. Part of the problem was the focus on design orientation. I did think about going to NYC but I would have had to leave behind family and friends. Which is what I didn't want to do.

"You mean you don't make sound effects when you're painting?" -David Tillinghast

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazzic
    I just met with my admissions counselor and had a preliminary portfolio review. Everything was so streamlined, easy, and encouraging! I'd seriously recommend scheduling a tour - though it didn't take much to win me over! Hopefully I'll be seeing you AC peeps in January!

-Mazz
    But you were sold long before you even set foot on that campus dude! Maybe the two of us should run away to SVA and slum around NYC - I mean, there is incentive there (ie, MoCCA and other stuff). But then, I'm biased as an east coast transplant in a SoCal University in which I may or may not be staying. :huh:

-A

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    redder - were you in the master or the undergrad program for fine arts? i always heard that the masters program is one of the top in the country with a large waiting list. although its a strange addition to basically a trade school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the school sounds great, i too was thinking about getting a degree in illustration at AC, then going to gnomon for the 3D experience afterward. hopefully i can get down and visit next summer. anyone know how difficult it is to get in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by seb
    redder - were you in the master or the undergrad program for fine arts? i always heard that the masters program is one of the top in the country with a large waiting list. although its a strange addition to basically a trade school.
    I was in the undergrad program. The grad program is better because you design your own curriculum, which is good. I'm looking forward to going back to ArtCenter for the grad program. I also didn't know they had a waiting list but then again I went there a couple years ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Riftrider
    keith, these are probably the hardest questions to answer, because people who go to academy of art won't know diddly about artcenter, and vice versa. and generally people are biased towards the school they attend, i know i am. sometimes you'll have someone that attended both, like i know someone who went to risd then chose to go to artcenter. i also know of many calarts to artcenter transplants. i think helium said he came her from pratt. still, fairly useless information. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mauro
    im seriously considering switching schools and going to art center, how is it there? what is the course load like in the illustration degree? are the teachers good?
    less generic questions are generally easier to answer. course load is heavy. how heavy is dependant on how fast you want to graduate, and more importantly, how fast you want to get better. the teacher thing is pretty subjective. but artcenter is as popular as it is for a reason, and it ain't the coffee (unless u like starbucks).

once u become a student you can access course/instructor evaluations. basically every time you finish a class you have to fill out a survey for it and they add it all up. it's fairly recent, and a good indicator of how focussed artcenter is on instructor quality.

Quote Originally Posted by AFaeryChild
    I'm thinking the new game plan will probably involve illustration at AC and animation courses with Genome in Hollywood.

I am a little concerned about the "cut throat" Art Center is reputed for. I mean, some of my best works was developed through academic discourse. That was the one positive thing about a couple of my art courses at SC - everyone was enthusiastic about learning from and getting ideas and helping everyone else. It wasn't as if discussing an idea sold it to someone else or made it any less. Hopefully that makes sense.

But any information on life as a student at AC would be more than a little welcome.
    -A
    artcenter + gnomon would be interesting. generally it's advised that you shouldn't work too many hours (or at all) while at artcenter. there is only so many days in a week y'know. that said, once you get in the groove it's certainly possible to do artcenter and 'something else' at the same time. i haven't figured it out but many students far more successful than myself have. incidentally there are a few ac instructors that teach at gnomon or sell their dvd's.

i'm not sure what you mean by "cut throat". you mean students trying to screw over each other? well, students are definitely competitive, you can't not be if you are serious and passionate about art. in general though, you don't go here just for the instructors. you'll learn as much if not more from other students.

as for student life, er, there ain't much. there are no dorms so you don't have the typical college atmosphere here. it will be dependant on the friends you make here and hang out with.

The red tape is miles shorter than what I experienced at Pratt.
    could you expand on the 'red tape' thing? i'm not quite sure i understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny
    I'm interested in going to art center. As an illustration major, would I also be able to take industrial design classes and entertainment classes? Cuz I'm interested in all of those pretty much.
    ah, the age-old id versus illu question.

in the end, you have to go with your own personal interests. sure, you are interested in 'all of those pretty much', but what are you MORE interested in? do you prefer traditional drawing and painting and figure and such? or would you rather sketch out cars and environments and such. how important is storytelling/narrative to you?

many students are in the same boat (myself included).

in the later terms you can do pretty much whatever you want, but in the early terms you have to pay your dues with whatever your major has in mind. i wanted to pay mine with drawing and painting, color and value, story and narrative, and the inescapable figure. if you go wit product or trans, it's about drawing and building inorganic objects. which would you prefer day in and day out? it's up to you.

the only thing you need to graduate are your required classes, electives can come from any major. trans, product, film, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Groover McNab
    I talked to Alex Alvarez while at the workshop and he recommends taking ID and not illustration as a major if you want to do concept design. Just thought I'd throw that out.
    isn't he the dude that runs gnomon? seeing how technical gnomon is, i guess that isn't much of a surprise. ironically i think he was graduated as illustration from ac .

for pure concept design (of non-organic nature), i do feel that the id route would probably be the easiest way to go. but although concept design may seem like the holy grail for many, here at this CONCEPTART forum(), it isn't the only thing out there, and when/if you want to branch out the more well rounded your eductation is the better.

that said, you (rhetorically) really gotta do your homework as an illustrator to 'plug in the gaps' in your education, as seb put it. the gaps are many, and rather large if you want to be anything but the pure illustrator.

Yeah, finding a balance between the worlds of ID and illustration is rather hard. I'd love to get some sort of education where I can get all the figurative and narrational influence from illustration, but that hardcore design, and technical prowess you get from ID.
    you can, you just gotta cook it up yourself!

and scott's class is great. you'll learn so much it isn't even funny. prepare to work though. your goal: upstage all the product/trans kiddies. i all but giggled when my homework turned out better than 'theirs'. let us know how advanced perspective works out. i'm interested in that class too.

You hate snobs? uh oh......
    can i call you Easy Mac?

cheers,
    steve

Last edited by steve kim; July 2nd, 2004 at 04:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Steve, you can call me anything you want big boy... especially Mike.

IF YOU COME TO ART CENTER YOU WILL MAKE NO FRIENDS
    YOU WILL HAVE NO SOCIAL LIFE
    YOU WILL GRADUATE WITH INSANE DEPT
    AND YOU WILL CRY EVERYNIGHT BECAUSE OF THE THRASHING CRITS AND ISOLATION!!!

I am so very kidding. I find it funny how some people do indeed seem to nuke themselves into an odd funk of constant work. I find that I can even slack a good degree if I'm really not interested in a class and still get away with a decent grade. Comp and Painting was that way with me, I just didn't feel it until the end. The work though as you get to do a bit more of your own thing gets to be a fantastic little cycle rigor as you are constantly pushed to get better by your own self desire. It's fantastic really.

I have talked to a couple of Trans majors on the subject of "trans vs. illus" as a preferable way to production design. They seem to not really think Trans is an effective way to go unless you are REALLY into cars. I myself have no bloody desire to design cars, or make those models. If you enter into the trans dept, apparently there is no escape from being completely saturated by car talk, car development, and car fervor. Indeed you will most likely drag a significant amount of information from it, but Gary Meyer has advised me to simply take Scott's class and advanced perspective. And if anyone who is in illustration wants to do cars for a bit, take some guy whose name I forget. The trans classes are apparently extremely heavy and rigorous, and demand constant devotion and work, not that that's bad at all, but it could be potentially obnoxious if you are not reeeaaaally into drawing cars. I'm not so sure about product, but I'm relatively sure that you can achieve a balance by simply picking particular electives and talking to students and advisors. I know both sides that have been like.. "man I wish I would have taken Trans to get that design and perspective training" and people have been like "man I wish I had been in Illustration to get that figurative training." I'm under the assumption that by just finding your own unique route that the "goal" of making concept art is attainable by locating various sources for education, like the gnomon DVD's and outside people already in the industry. I'm learning quite a bit from this job I'm doing now. Also I'm getting real life experience that?s gunna look fantastic on the ol' resume. I got that entire opportunity from playing hockey with a guy that new the dude I'm working for. It's considerably about networking and getting out there to find your own route. Employers and people in the industry are really turned on by go-getters and people that are easy to talk to and outgoing. It gives them the opportunity for the artist to come to them, rather than sorting through portfolios. Half of what you need to exhibit in the professional world (at least from my limited experience) is the ability to be a talker, and a very outgoing person, not afraid to carry your portfolio around and sell yourself.

Steve, in regards to "red tape" I?ve heard people complain about the registration system at art center as being archaic. But it doesn't hold a candle to Pratt's ridiculous system of runaround and visiting offices several times in a day, located in various places around campus, just to get a class changed or fix a registration process.. and don't get me started about financial aid.

And now.. back to work!

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    on a quick note, let us not forget the wonderful world of product. trans is DEFINITELY for a select few. i'd seriously shoot myself if i had to draw ONE thing for like 4 terms straight ;o.

product kids on the other hand have a bit more variety in their projects, and probably a more rounded education in terms of design and such. still, i'd rather draw naked girls and dragons and knights and stuff than clocks and um, trash cans.

cheers,
    steve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AND YOU WILL CRY EVERYNIGHT BECAUSE OF THE THRASHING CRITS AND ISOLATION!!!
    Thrashing crits?! I remember for a painting class we smuggled in some alcohol. The instructor didn't mind when hefound out. In fact he drank along with us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I smuggle in black tar heroin every morning. It's the only thing that keeps me awake.

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your mocking me, aren't you?

<turns to crowd of people>

He's mocking me!

I challenge you, Helium Macaroni!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Gunnz if you are gonna apply try not to get too hung up on the fact they say 12-20 pieces. I had probably like 40-50 figure drawings and paintings(traditional and digital), a sketchbook and even an entire Biggie newsprint pad of warm up gestures and stuff. I would never have considered submitting that much stuff but an admissions advisor told me to and it worked out, I got in. I would strongly advise meeting with someone in admissions and getting feedback on what your portfolio is lacking. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Miller
    Hey Gunnz if you are gonna apply try not to get too hung up on the fact they say 12-20 pieces. I had probably like 40-50 figure drawings and paintings(traditional and digital), a sketchbook and even an entire Biggie newsprint pad of warm up gestures and stuff. I would never have considered submitting that much stuff but an admissions advisor told me to and it worked out, I got in. I would strongly advise meeting with someone in admissions and getting feedback on what your portfolio is lacking. Good luck.
    Thanks! I talked to the counselor a week ago....and she said I needed either five finished color concept pieces (what a broad term), or 25 quicker ones. I had like 20 figure drawings which I showed, and she said that I didn't even need that many. I think I'm just going to keep doing landscape and architecture studies....which will be my color pieces. I have a big sketchbook, but I guess those studies are too experimental. I'll probably have to pick some good ones and redo them onto a bigger, more finished format. I've been polishing up on my life drawing skills as well, and trying to replace OK pieces with better ones. Hopefully I will have a portfolio suitable for both Cal Arts and Art Center. The animation program at Cal Arts looks great too. Eventually I would like to get into 3d and animation....and the emphasis on storytelling and being able to act out the characters is what I want. Art Center is an attractive program because there seem like more possibilities.

Last edited by gunnz; October 3rd, 2005 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok...I'm confused. Some of the Art Center students say that it is hard to get scholarships the first year, and then it gets a lot easier once you get to the sophomore year. Oe the other hand, I've also heard that if you don't get scholarships coming in as a freshman, then it's damn near impossible. Which is true?

Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 36