Page 8 of 135 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 108 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Ill be at school next term so if you see me around let me know and I'll help you out with your schedule( or whatever) and give you pointers on anything. If anyone has any other questions and thinks I can help them out, you guys can reach me through aim at:AmIAnArtist

cya fellas later

-Oskar
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    adding on to what Wikdotsys said, if you work hard at illustration and just work hard at plain ol' getting better at designing and drawing, you'll have the ability to go into entertainment. A lot of what you learn at a school comes from your own observation and studies, not just what the teachers teach you. product...illustration...it all boils down to how well you design and how well you can get your ideas across

Thanks
    thx you all - you all rock...

Um... what if I can't paint worth... junk... right now? I mean i haven't taken any classes or done much on my own since supplies cost money + a place to do it etc... I dunno you get my point... my drawing isn't great but it's def. my stronger point...

edit:
    i.was.ink - i added you to my AIM list, if that was ok

um... what happens? I send in an application, then a portfolio later? I'm sure i can find this in their info etc... but yeh... is the portfolio slides or actual pieces? And how late can I turn in the portfolio if say... I were tryin to get in for spring?

~chasing whims is not always a waste of time~

sketchjunk thread give me a MOO!!!–CATLsketchgroup

Thanks
    What AC wants to see most is figure drawing. They want to see it all, but mostly figure drawing. Give them a good rounded portfolio if you can, but make sure there is figure drawing!! Apparently, it's quite a bit easier to get in to AC lately due to the fact that they are building a huge addition to the campus and want all the money they can get. I've seen some trash artists get into AC, and it boggles my mind. I'm not calling anyone in here trash! I'm just stating that the collective level of work seems to be lower than previous times at AC.

Ink is right about the talent of the people at AC. There's different kinds. There a good amount of crap artists, a good amount of middle talent artists, and a good amount of super-stars. Its rounded.

And for Gods sake. DON'T DO PRODUCT IF YOU WANT TO BE A CONCEPT ARTIST! Period. Do you want to make mailboxes on the vaccuform machine? If you don't, then choose illustration. Do you want to make speed forms out of plaster? If you don't, then choose illustration. You can always add product/trans electives later, like Scott Robertsons class, or other viscomms. But for the love of God, don't chose product or trans because of thier ability to make well drawn boxes. You can learn that crap from sitting in on a class, taking an elective, or watching a Feng DVD. What you want from Illustration is the entertainment track, which can always be spiced up by taking electives. Plus, talk to other people in different majors. Get thier help. Talk to teachers you don't have and get training. Most all teachers are willing to help. What you need most for entertainment is foundation courses. If you want to draw vehicles for entertainment class, don't take 4 terms of bloody car creation classes, take Scott's class and learn that way. If you want to learn to do environments, take Landscape painting class, and learn perspective back and forth for interiors. You can do anything with foundation studies. But Product and Trans are SO specialized, unless you want to design fire extinguishers or cars, explicitly for 4-8 terms, don't bother with either of them. If you want to experiment, you can always track down a teacher to get them to sign you into a class.

If anyone wishes to get more beligerent answers from me...

AIM - MaphistoButercup
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    gotcha gotcha - that makes me feel better - i'll def. go for illustration then. woo... ONE THING cleared up haha.

thx again bigtime, and I added you to my aimlist if that's a'right w/ you. gotta run to class - be back t'nite.

~chasing whims is not always a waste of time~

sketchjunk thread give me a MOO!!!–CATLsketchgroup

Thanks
    hahaha whats wrong with product or trans for that matter? its just a different approach with a different type of history at art center. in the end, it probably boils down to whether you want to do things that are figrative and painted or things that require more perspective and hard shape development. its really a lose/lose situation(unless you go through both programs) since most illustrators are lacking in perspective/design skills and most id people are lacking in figrative/painting skills. both skill sets are important, but it depends on what you want to be doing when you are no longer in school. thats not to say that an illustration major cant graduate with exceptional perspective skills and that an id major cant be able to draw figures from life like no ones business. ive known examples of both.

Helium- i saw in another thread you know hugo. i met him a few weeks back and saw some of his work. he's a cool guy.

Thanks
    hahaha whats wrong with product or trans for that matter? its just a different approach with a different type of history at art center. in the end, it probably boils down to whether you want to do things that are figrative and painted or things that require more perspective and hard shape development. its really a lose/lose situation(unless you go through both programs) since most illustrators are lacking in perspective/design skills and most id people are lacking in figrative/painting skills. both skill sets are important, but it depends on what you want to be doing when you are no longer in school. thats not to say that an illustration major cant graduate with exceptional perspective skills and that an id major cant be able to draw figures from life like no ones business. ive known examples of both.

Helium- i saw in another thread you know hugo. i met him a few weeks back and saw some of his work. small world.

Thanks
    Seb, I totally agree.. they really need an entertainment major which you learn figurative, form illustration (vehicles, props, cars, etc), interior environments, and external ones. At the moment you kinda have to pick and choose what works best, there's no prescribed route, other than "take the core entertainment classes" which David told me, which you really don't learn a lot of foundation stuff in.

Yeah, hugo and I went to Pratt together, I really didn't know him while I was there, he graduated a year after I came in, but he was always kind of a "legend!" Speaking of legend.... hehe I saw a kid the other day carrying around print outs of your work to either learn from or steal from. Congradulations, you're an inspiration
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    thats so embarassing. i need to go back and steal that godawful portfolio i let norm have or at least replace it with stuff thats not so bad.

if only they would create an entertainment major, but thats not going to happen anytime soon if ever. it would destroy the illustration department and suck quite a few people out of id. it would probably be one of the biggest majors at accd if that happened. personally it seems "what people want" is changing with the art of star wars books. episode one made everyone crazy about markers and spaceships and art noveau costumes and episode two made everyone go towards impressionistic color work. oh well. things will have to balance out one of these days.

geez im still embarassed thinking of people making photocopies of my work.

Thanks
    Thanks Gerardo.... Oh! THAT Mike.. I'm a Mike too

Yeah dude, I saw them in a kid named Ryan's folder. I was like.. "That's one of them kids on Studio 222" Then I remembered I had seen some of that stuff on here... THEN went back to Studio 222 and found out your name, saw the same work and I realized the work was by you.. seb.. or Mike..

wow, that didn't sound creepy at all...

Anyway, rockin' stuff.

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Hey Seb. When are you going to update your site?
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    rofl the product vs illustration debate is funny. sounds like the perfect THUNDERDOME. ;P

Thanks
    I'm in a rivalry... with Steve! He and I are going to fight... with knives!

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    i think the real rivalry at art center is between the students and the morons that won't build any more parking spots.

Thanks
    i updated the first post w/ what i hope is some helpful infos. mainly for the newbies. let me know if i am missing big chunks of usefulness.

Paulganguly~~!!

i really meant to reply sooner but reading your posts makes me confused. you are interested in concept art yet you want to take fine art and then architecture after that? ac's fine art (ahem, 'fine art media') is pretty wonky... like it's all installation and weird fine artsy stuff. if yer into that more power to you but everything u've said sorta goes against that.

whats your ultimate goal? again, why the architecture and fine art?

re: illustration vs id.

earlier seb called it a lose/lose situation. well, if you play your cards right it's quite win/win. in the end i dunno how much diff there would be between an illu who beefs up his id side, or an id kid who works on his figure/illu stuff. i guess it just depends on what kind of stuff u like to draw more. like easy mac over here.. he's got a thing for spaceships and stuff... but then again he's an illu .. hmm okay i have no point.

cheers!
    steve

Page 8 of 135 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 108 ... LastLast