The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 8

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hear that a lot- that’s why I pretty much took the game environment/character modeling class at gnomon. When we took a field trip to rockstar games (since bobby worked there), they had 2 or 3 full time concept artist vs like a whole team of modelers enviro/character/ lighter etc.

Hah I always thought EA’s weapon of choice was 3D studio.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea i guess im sounding a bit extreme, but the idea is not to expect a normal college life as opposing to places like UCs and stuff since there'll be alot more work and less play. And back to Steve's comment, i'm referencing to people that are slacking off instead of people that arent skilled. I'm aware that after a few terms the skill level will eventually balance out as students work harder to push themselves. Infact, i've already noticed a number of people in my classes have already improved alot in the just past few weeks.

I'm actually pretty happy to hear that an all-around concept artist is in demand now, modeling stuff used to be my priority before i changed to concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, im going to be applying to artcenter later in the year for the illustration degree, how hard would you say it is it to get in? do/did you like it there? i agree about the 3-d thing, the school im going to right now though is mainly 3-d and im having to 'fill in the gaps' for all the traditional stuff, there are a lot of gaps. anything would be helpful, thanks.

-ben

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ben,

I very much like Art Center, as do many of the students. Many pro's and cons can be found throughout this thread, as well as what people think about thier experience. Recently, it has become less hard it seems to get into ACCD (for better or for worse) due to heavy expansion programs that the school is engaging in. Therefore, they are taking in more students for more money. In the long run, it will be debatable how this will effect the collective work quality, however the faculty and programs still remain very strong. The new department chair for Illustration is also fantastic. She's very open and wants to make the program as productive as she can for everyone. One of the strongest things I have to emphasize is to try to balance out figurative/traditional studies and foundation work with Industrial Design classes, such as Scott Robertson's Viscom 2 class and Norm Sherman's Viscom 4. Art Center is very design oriented, which many other schools in the nation are not, so that can be a plus. Also, being in Los Angeles, the epicenter of the entertainment industry is a valuable asset, as I and others have found out. Making connections and networking while attending school is very benificial. I very much enjoy my time, as stressful as it is sometimes and even though I have some gripes. But I'd still defend it as being the formost place to try to break into the industry.

Anyways, I read in your other thread that you were going to try to visit California and check out schools, so good luck and hope to see you around.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, yea ill be down for thanksgiving to check out schools (if its open) if not im going to go down to one of the ateliers in the area during the summer before i start classes. cant wait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

paints for second term painting

Hi guys, im first term illustration and had a few questions about paint.
    my parents are coming from asia and im gonna get them to bring me paint which is a lot cheaper back home. u know how it is with accd students always trying to save a buck.
    off the top of your heads could u guys come up with a quick list of colours that im going to need for term 2 painting classes?
    i appreciate it and thanx in advance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tell them to get the biggest tubes

earth/limited pallette:

titanium white
    ivory black
    burnt sienna
    yellow ochre
    venetian red
    burnt umber
    raw umber
    naples yellow

brighter colors:

cad yellow
    cad red
    (french) ultramarine blue
    cobalt blue
    permanent alizarin crimson
    olive green
    sap green

obviously you don't need all of those colors, not even close, but if you are going to buy bulk... cause each teacher has certain colors he likes to use. oh and i'm sure i'm forgetting a lot... (i'm not much of a painter)

oh and even if you can get a good deal, you might not want to get the real cad or cobalt paints. they are like super expensive. so you might want the hue's instead. like more or less looks like cad red but not real cad pigment, usually some synthetic. diff ppl have diff opinions on that though...

i personally don't use enough paint (not thick enough) when i paint and if it's super expensive stuff i'll be even more stingy w/ the paint, which is a bad habit to get into and one i still have trouble getting over. so i always go with the cheapest stuff. one day when i'm a millionaire maybe i can get the good stuff...

Last edited by steve kim; October 30th, 2004 at 02:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks steve,
    should i buy good windsor newtons or cheap stuff like winton?
    also whos a good teacher for figure painting?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make sure you get David Luce for head painting. He rocks!

Dont forget

sap green (try and get the pure color if its no too pricey, cuz it makes a really big difference if you get the cheap stuff. The color isnt as intense if you get the cheap one.)
    alizarin crimson
    indian yellow(its almost the same as naples, but I prefer indian)
    cerulean blue( its really expensive, so if your folks can get it cheap then go for it)

I know I like using good paint so I'd get the good paint. Also, there's better brands other than Windsor. Although I forget right now which ones... sorry.

- ink

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think going for the good brand of paint is always the best choice. It’s only a few bucks more and the results are going to be better (paint wise). I been using Utrecht paints for a while and I enjoy it, but if anyone has any other brands to keep an eye out for share!

When should the noobs for spring start to see the class schedules and such?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    people entering the school for the first semester don't see their schedules until orientation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking nice~!!

[FONT=Arial]yes, yes, yes! im joining the art center clan!

glad to have found this thread! its been hella helpful...(at least for advice on AC)...

anyways, go art center!! woohoo!

ok, so im an ad major starting in the spring. does ANYONE know anything about this major at ACCD? i cant find ANYTHING on the forums about adv. here.

can u guys give me advice or...anything? or du know of anyone in the ad prog? thanx!

Last edited by fallingh2o; November 5th, 2004 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hm, how do i put this nicely..

if you are ad, what are you doing in this forum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

oh

oh, im sorry. i could not find any forums on ad (art) schools on the net...adv design is not a very popular major. perhaps you may know of any other forums? this site was the closest thing i found to getting some kinda info on AC and adv. guess i was wrong...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just ran across this thread. Since I go to Art Center, thought I'd put my 2¢ in!
    I am in the Product Design program with emphasis on Entertainment.

Love the school. I'm going to chime in on some stuff already noted throughout. There are 3 semesters a year, and you can go straight through, but I'd definitely suggest taking a semester off once in a while. I went through 3 semesters before taking my first break. I was super burned out at the end of 3 semesters. I'm getting ready to go back in January for my 4th semester—can't wait to get back there (so taking the term off helped!).

As far as scholarships, I think it probably is better to try and get it before starting school. I got a small one (nothing to sneeze at, but I need more!) and have reapplied for more every term. Haven't gotten any additional yet.

As for future semesters, I may cut down to 4 classes per semester, especially with studio intense classes. It will take a little longer to finish, but it's worth the money if you can really take the time to do the best while there. It seems at times that there is more work than you can handle. Of course it also depends on the person and how good you are at time management! But that gets better as you go (sink or swim!).

That's all for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fallingh2o
    oh, im sorry. i could not find any forums on ad (art) schools on the net...adv design is not a very popular major. perhaps you may know of any other forums? this site was the closest thing i found to getting some kinda info on AC and adv. guess i was wrong...
    lol, sorry for being an ass. was just taken aback when you mentioned being an ad major. not like lotta people post ad layouts and such on this site yknow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_cube
    When should the noobs for spring start to see the class schedules and such?
    The Spring courses should be listed on Campusweb by this Friday.
    https://secure.artcenter.edu/cgi-bin...S.SCHED.SEARCH

Notice: Datalog's course descriptions are more concise and up to date than Campusweb. Check it.

Last edited by jellybean; November 20th, 2004 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe this is old news to you guys but this is the first I've heard of it --
    "Car Design Program Planned for California's Art Center"
    http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_cardesi...duate_program/

Looking ahead, which classes would you recommend just to build on model shop skills? Development of Form, Environmental Design, Model Construction??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

class schedule for spring 2005

hi guys...
    i just got my class schedule and need some advice on the instructors
    digital design - Shepard,L (ill prob try to waive this class)
    Analysis of form - Strickland M
    Head Paitning - Luce D
    Des2 - Nguyen J
    Comp & Painting - Schaefer A

i would prob like to try n get the best instructors for analysis of form, head painting and comp and painting..the other classes dont seem as crucial to me
    would appreciate some advice from the later termers : ))
    thanx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are you 2nd term? or did waive all the 1st term classes..

definitely madden for analysis, your other instructors luce and schaefer are good. lucked out there.

ross for des2 if u dont want as much work. nguyen and claypool assign more work afaik and do a lot of work on computer, which means u need a decent comp + printer. ross is all acrylic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

schedule

thanx for the advice
    im first term right now, second term in spring.
    didnt get to or want to transfer any studio classes
    but dying to transfer more academics : ))
    im trying to waive digital design any ideas on what to substitute it with?
    i wanted to try to get into viscomm2 but doesnt seem likely since im illustration...thanx in advance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doesn't matter if u are illu and u want in viscom2. u just need to add it, and get the purple sheet from scott if it's full... if u cant get purple sheet and its full wait a week or two and usually people will drop and make space

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone who wants to get into Viscomm 2, be prepared to fight tooth and nail for it. Everyone and thier mother wants in. I went to comic-con, tracked down scott, and had him sign my sheet for me..

..then I appologized to him for being so creepy.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Logistics

I'm starting at Art Center (Trans/Ent) in January, coming out of Pratt with a BID. I've got some general questions if some current students wouldn't mind answering them.

1. Who's the most popular private lender (ie:citibank, salli mae, etc.)?
    2. Where are the best placs to live. I'm not worried about the
    neighborhood, just cost effectiveness($500-650) and proximity to school?
    3. Do you know anyone on the trans track that isn't a gearhead?
    4. Who are the best Ent/Illus instructors, what do they teach?
    5. How much money do you spend annually if enrolled all three terms, are
    the projections in the award letter accurate?
    6. From what I saw when visiting, it seems that the social scene is dead, at
    least on campus, are there any groups that meet to relax and pool ideas?
    7. Any red tape or potential hang-ups to be on the look out for?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I got my scholarship mulah which I guess isn’t too bad. All together with fasa its 12k for 2 terms. However, I signed up for federal work-study but now I’m having second thoughts, anyone have any insites on this? (Perhaps a job you can do on campus and do homework at the same time?)

also if anyone is looking for a roomate for spring send me a line since i'm thinking of renting a large pad (or move in with someone) either or.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

classes

i got screwed out of luce's class!! they changed my schedule at the last minute
    is cabe for head drawign any good?
    also i got strickland for analysis i heard he can be tough
    also does nguyen for design 2 give a lot of work?
    in response to the other guys thread....there is no such thign as a social life once u ocme to art center
    theres no such thing as weekends either i like to say...only two extra days for homework
    but its great if u like what u do : ))

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

tangent

this has nothing to do w the posts prior to this, but i had to let out some...anger~!!!

so i went to financial aid this morning, and some lady named irene was helping me. she was SOOO not friendly and did NOT want to answer my questions, and when she did, she reponded like i was SO STUPID AND RETARDED!! is she always this rude? or was she PMSing (or menopausing)!!!

i have a question, who do yall recommend for private lenders?

Last edited by fallingh2o; November 17th, 2004 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jia

How did you go about to change your schedual? Or rather how did you get ahold of it? Since I talked to Gloria and she basically said first term students couldn’t get their schedual until the first day of school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jia will be a second termer by spring. he/shes a first termer right now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusnyc
    I'm starting at Art Center (Trans/Ent) in January, coming out of Pratt with a BID.
    AAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Pratt.. aaahahahaha. Ahah.. hah.. ooooh boy..

Yup, welcome to the club..

..of those of us who said after graduation from Pratt.. "Welp, that was pointless, I guess I'm off to Art Center for a real education."

By the way, if any of you AC kids are interested, a few other AC kids and I are having a meet with the So Cal local artists group of CA.org to have a shindig.

The guy hosting it is Trevor.. his place is here..

82 Obispo Ave Long Beach, CA
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...rchtab=address

his phone # - 562 621 9269

come and bring some homework, there will be drawing and drinking. I really hope some of you show up.

Last edited by Helium Macaroni; November 20th, 2004 at 05:15 AM.

...I have a sketchbook?

Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 34