The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea I agree with steve there about his comment for switching to ID for entertainment. I mean, yea sure there're alot of great concept artists that recently came out of the ID major, but there're also alot of great concept artists that didn't. To me, i feel like drawing people is alot more interesting than drawing products. Even though being very technical and percise is very important when it comes to entertainment, I don't think these factors are enough to make me switch over to ID.

I guess it really depends on you though, if you seriously want to be very technical and want the ability to draw like a machine, you'll probably want to switch to product then.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question In dire need of a life drawing class in Pasadena

Can anyone here maybe help me out? I'm trying to find a life drawing class in Pasadena so I can get back in the practice of drawing on a regular basis.

Doesn't need to be for credit or anything. I've lived here 2 months so I'm not entirely sure where to look. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch
    Kim

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey kimmy

I remember there was a figure drawing school (inside a small office building) really close to the Disney animation department in Pasadena.
    http://bhas.beverlyhills.k12.ca.us/ (this is the cheapest place I found for figure drawing workshop

when I was taking Kevin chen figure drawing here is all the workshop he listed (it is old so I’m not sure if the links are still good etc.)

on a side not I was accepted. and there was much rejoicing...yay

FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOPS updated 10/5/03

MON ~ FRI 7 ~ 10PM (call to check on time & price)
    LOS FELIZ WORKSHOP – around $10, Located at 4451 Kingswell (cross
    street
    havenhurst) in the back house at the end of driveway. Contact Ben
    Freeman
    for more info 818-761-2544 ext.345

TUES 7 ~ 10 PM
    FINE ARTIST FACTORY – Long pose. $120 for 10 weeks.
    http://www.fineartistsfactory.com/fi...eschedule.html

WED 9:30 ~ 12:30 PM

THURS 7 ~ 10 PM
    THE DRAWING CLUB - $20 per session. Contact Bob Kato at 626-303-2556
    for
    more info. 3235 San Fernando Road, #2C Los Angeles
    www.thedrawingclub.com

THURS 7 ~ 10 PM

SAT. 9:30 ~ 12:30 PM

SAT. 5 ~ 9 PM
    ACADEMY OF FIGURATIVE ART – Short pose workshop. Around $150 for 10
    weeks,
    Call 818-793-5063 for details. 16926 Saticoy Street • Van Nuys, CA
    http://www.laafigart.com/

SAT. 9:30 ~ 12:30 PM
    PASADENA CENTER FOR FINE ARTS - $120 for 11 weeks or $15 per class.
    http://www.pasfinearts.com/pcfaClass_adultSpring.htm

SUN. 10 ~ 6PM
    CALARTS – $ 6, in Valencia, exit Mcbean Pkwy from 5 Fwy North. Located
    in
    the Character Animation Department.

SUN. 10 ~ 1 PM
    ACADEMY OF FIGURATIVE ART – Long pose workshop. Around $135 for 10
    weeks.
    Call 818-793-5063 for info. 16926 Saticoy Street • Van Nuys, CA 91406
    http://www.laafigart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks!

Excellent! Thanks so much for all the great info, and for posting so quickly. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kimmy: Actually there's uninstructed workshops at Art Center every single day and they're all free.

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shhhh that is secret!!

hoho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so one of the percieved downsides of art center is the lack of student life.

which sucks cause i think i learn as much if not more from my fellow students than i do from professors. i wish yall had dorms so i could just run next door and get inspiration from someone else and in general just people to bounce ideas off.
    so i was wondering if there were any apartments that art center students tend to flock to. and while i'm on the subject i'd like to take the time to ask if there are any art center girl students who need roomates come spring. p.m. me if you like

thanks
    -sara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well... the thing about the no dorms thing is that traditionally AC has been populated by older-than-most-college-student students. The average age of attendees was 25 not long ago, and most people of that age group don't desire dorms, and since there were very few out-of-high school students, there was really no need to foster that type of atmosphere. It has its ups and downs. Its downs being the lack of community indeed, I had a much tighter group of friends and a stronger sense of camaraderie back at Pratt, where there were dorms. However the ups are that the typical post high school college experience that tends to include lack of focus and other relatively juvenile behavior is non-existent. No offense to any of the youngins at AC but if the school did have such an environment, I believe it would be detrimental. However, that's just the ratings of a crotchety 24 year old. There are plans, in the new expansion plans, for the construction of dorms, so regardless of any apprehension any of us may have about the effects of dorm life, it's coming nonetheless.

I do however wholeheartedly agree and lament about the lack of community. One of the other reasons there is a lack of community is that the course load is rather intense and the curriculum is quite rigorous. Any first termers will soon discover that. I had grand ideas of a comic-book club where once a month a compendium of student sequential work could be published, however I have no time for such an endeavor. One way to foster community is to involve yourself in this one, the SoCal local group is off to a start and we are going to be organizing get-togethers and sketch nights.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chumps

btw, the new catalogs are out. sorta dissapointed w/ the design and type. looks sorta cheap, decidedly otis-like. oh well u can't win 'em all
    ...but at least the website doesn't look that bad anymore

I remember when I was looking at schools last year, the quality of some art colleges websites really made me surprised that the school was a art/design school!

Helium Macaroni: Good job at laying down the pros/cons of the lack of dorms. By the time their built, I think we'll all be long-gone outtathaschool, so it probably won't affect us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm almost committed to art center for 3 years
    but i live in texas and havent had a chance to get a feel for the school
    i know all the good points cause AC wont shutup about them but i would like to hear all the complaints even the minor ones.
    at this point things like lack of parking wouldnt make a difference but say if certain departments were super competitive to the point where the enviroment was constantly hostile and stressful - well i'd probably still go.
    either way feel free to get out your frustrations. dont worry youre not a traitor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to figure out the costs of AC compared to the school I'm going to now. A semester at AC is roughly $12,000, so how many semesters does the average student take? Is it three terms per semester?

Please reply quickly. I'm thinking about leaving the school I'm in now and I am nearing the final tuition refund date.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, i figure most people take 8 semesters ('semester' and 'term' are used interchangably) Although a lot of people take an academic semester too, so if you take one of those, it's 9 semesters, but those are sometimes cheaper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    people ususally take 2, since we dont get any major breaks the term off serves as a break (the summer one for most people). Unless you really want to finish fast you can do 3 terms a year then finish in less than 3 years. but that'll probably really stress you out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by saraesc
    the complaints even the minor ones.
    I think one of the new student reps from environmental design complained that the class is competitive and tense but it was because they showed each other their grades. A rep/the student ended up discussing it with the instructor so that the teacher would explain grades and keep scores private. The ultimate outcome is that student government is now incorporating parties after the department meeting so students from the same major but different terms could have a mixer.

Right now ACGS is working on finding out about the scale of damage from gallery handling of student work. There's a student crit workshop coming up in the future. Another upcoming change is two day advisement so students have a variety of 8th term students and counselors to talk to (to figure out or pursue what they're interested in and fulfill grad requirements) instead of just the department chair or asking for syllabi from the liberal arts department.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting thread, makes me wish i had an art centrer up here in Canada

BTW, I'm pretty sure DUSSO graduated from the college I'm attending... Sheridan College up here in Oakville, Ontario, from the illustration program. Which really goes to show that it is NOT the school you go to that determines your future, cause there sure aren't a lot of DUSSO's coming from the Illustration program here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks jellybean for the good info. and while i'm at it, thanks shoji for the scholarship post that was really helpful and suprisingly comforting.

i'm actually looking forward to a more competitive atmosphere. it's a far cry from my state school education where there were only about 3 other kids in each class who were even interested in what they were doing. hopefully i will get alot better just by seeing all the amazing work being produced.

some of you have posted saying that art center is increasing thier enrollment and therefore the quality of students is going down. (probably the reason i got in) i have a fear that this may be the worst time to be going to this school that has always had stellar students.
    anyone have insight on this phenomenon?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is a phenomena indeed.

I went to Sheridan College last year and they were upping their enrollment almost double for all the programs.

I am now at Ringling and they let in a HELL of a lot more students this year.

I don't know what is going on with the art schools but it kind of sucks. Not only because there are people who really shouldn't be there dragging down the rest, but: Every person they accept is another person out in the workforce. Our industries can't handle the influx of graduates every year from all the schools NOW. The industries are going to be flooded.

It is up to you to stay at the top and work hard.

anyone else have any comments on this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the quality of students is going down, but dont think its in the crapper or anything, cuz its still really good. The bad thing is that theres more immature students at accd, but soon enough they can't take it and they leave. All you have to do is seperate yourself from those that dont help you out and hang out with those that want to work hard and are up for the long haul. Ive seen some students come in the same term that I did, and now I look for them and they're gone. The good thing is that the teachers are still pretty hardcore, and so you're really not losing much, its all up to each individual student to work hard and get ahead.

The harsh reality of accd is that if you aren't ready for it, you wont make it, or you still may not be ready for it, but you accept the challenge and surpass the intimidation and you come out a success.

When will you be coming to accd saraesc?

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to I.was.ink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, i should be taking a tour there within the next couple of weeks? when i find the date i'll let you know so i can meet up with ya.

-=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's sound advice i.was.ink. thanks for assuaging my fears - i'll try to stay out of the bad crowd.

i should be attending come january (financial aide permitting) but if the scholarship gods arent smiling down upon me i may defer until summer just to save up some money.

theres no real difference which semester you start, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woohoo! Just found out I got accepted today! Should be starting January. Pretty much in the same boat as you saraesc, hopefully I won't have to defer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when does the janurary semester start? caus ei plan on going to the sf workshop but i dont want to miss the opening days of school. this is all relevant if i get accepted of course

-=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey |ntern if you haven't turned in your application yet, I'd recommend waiting until the next semester. The submission deadline to be eligible for financial aid in the spring semester just passed last week. Dunno what your situation is, but I just assume everyone who is going wants to see if they can get some aid. It's a pretty pricey school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Groover McNab
    but I just assume everyone who is going wants to see if they can get some aid. It's a pretty pricey school.
    AMEN!

speaking of groover mcnab, have you received anything on your financial aid status or do you know when they send out award letters? i'm getting ancy over here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wikdotsys - well that's a great endorsement

saraesc - I was told sometime in November.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea I agree with what I Was Ink said, there're some people in my term that are just really clueless and I can already tell that those people probably won't last very long. The bottom line is that if you're not willing to work your ass off, or give up everything else you have besides art, then you probably shouldn't come to this school. After all, the school isnt gonna make you better, it's yourself that's gonna make you better.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to xHUNTERx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea... careful when you are looking down on certain people... wait a few terms and likely they will own nuggets left and right.

i have a lot more appreciation for ALL folken... cause in the end, i realize everyone is better than me or is going to be

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhh giving up everything besides art is a very bad idea. As an artist, you need inspiration, motivation, time off also. Infact, working you're ass off is ok, but "Giving up everything" as a sacrifice to simply get better is not going to effect you positively. You need to see movies, have a hobby, play a video game once and a while. If you dont, you get dry, and you fry yourself. Pacing is the key, not burnout. Plus, you need to have a social life, because half of the business is working with a team, making contacts, etc. I still go off on weekends and knock back a few drinks, go karaokeing... rollerblade I also slack on occasion, if you manage well, and learn your optimal work environments and scheduales you can make it all work fine. Art indeed is a major part of our lives, but it shouldn't marginalize other healthy parts of our personalities and lives.

btw.. anyone here should visit the Sothern California local group thread!! We're having a partay at Trevors place, pm him or maybe stop by tomorrow and say "hi" He posted his address somewhere in the thread towards the end, so find it, mapquest it.. and join the fun!

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium Macaroni
    I still go off on weekends and knock back a few drinks, go karaokeing... rollerblade
    don't forget the laser tag...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don’t think you need to worry about the market place being flooded with mediocre artist. Apparently its already in the works. I recently read an article while at borders in CG World magazine, that basically tons of students are graduating but can’t find any work. Simply because they lack the necessary skills to do the job right.

I remember when Mark Goerner was subbing for feng’s class at Gnomon he was basically saying the same thing here. “people slacking off generally drop out / kids that can’t take the work load and just drop out.” So I imagine its nothing new. With the exception of the kids that drive Ferrari’s to art center and always wanking about paint on their new pressed shirts.

hey wikdotsys what was your comment about "learn maya"? as an illustrator are you required to do some 3D work?

btw any art students going to go to the SF workshop?

Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 89