The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 59
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 59 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 1925

Thread: The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Laptop Question.

I plan on attending Art Center’s Entertainment Design Program in the near future and want to know what laptops most students use for digital art (digital painting, 3d programs) etc.

I am considering either the
    Dell Studio XPS 16 15.6-Inch Laptop

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Studio-15...4860596&sr=1-2

Or the ASUS Republic of Gamers G51JX-X3 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop

http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamer...ref=pd_cp_pc_0

Each of the laptops have a fundamental flaw, the Dell apparently heats up and get Very warm or even hot, the Asus has a very short battery life (about 1 h 15 min) or (2 h 17 min) with a bigger battery.

The laptop will be a desktop replacement and also I will take on classes like Digital landscape which is why heat or short battery life may be a problem when digitally painting (using a lot more CPU power).

Some one also suggested to me that I get an Apple MacBook Pro but I am not a mac fan. I prefer to stick to PC.

Any advice welcomed thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaki View Post
    Laptop Question.

I plan on attending Art Centerís Entertainment Design Program in the near future and want to know what laptops most students use for digital art (digital painting, 3d programs) etc.

Each of the laptops have a fundamental flaw, the Dell apparently heats up and get Very warm or even hot, the Asus has a very short battery life (about 1 h 15 min) or (2 h 17 min) with a bigger battery.

The laptop will be a desktop replacement and also I will take on classes like Digital landscape which is why heat or short battery life may be a problem when digitally painting (using a lot more CPU power).

Some one also suggested to me that I get an Apple MacBook Pro but I am not a mac fan. I prefer to stick to PC.

any computer as long as it has a good processor and ram (hard drive) to handle jobs.
    processors:
    any duocore and up intel just release the new "I core multiprocessor series" (I5 is the lowest one, I3 midrange and I7 is the best one) but they are all really good.
    some laptops have the trio core from amd and some have the quadcore (best processor out there, new macbooks have it)
    as for hard drive the more capacity the better, try to get from 350 and up 400gb would be perfect.
    hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaki View Post
    Laptop Question.

I plan on attending Art Center’s Entertainment Design Program in the near future and want to know what laptops most students use for digital art (digital painting, 3d programs) etc.

Getting to know macs will help you out a lot, especially at Art Center. I recommend using their macs at the school being as they most often have everything you need program wise and their PCs are infected with some pretty nasty viruses. Macs are no where near as susceptible to viruses as PCs and I suffered when my desktop died in the middle of term. Numerous ACCD students have had problems with their PCs and extgernal hard drives dying from the viruses there. If you do choose to go with a PC, do your best to keep anitvirus software up to date and to scan any flash drive or external hard drive you connect at the school.

For anyone thinking of applying to the school, apply as early as possible and make sure you are completely committed to the school and the work you do. Time management is key and if you fall behind you and your work will suffer. This is a significant amount of money! The crits can be hard to take and the level of student work is high, do not get discouraged easily! There is so much to learn at this school and most of the instructors are top notch. Good luck to everyone who applies!

Last edited by Baze; September 24th, 2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: more info
    enjoying the scenery
    Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

format

Oh geebus... I was looking into Ent Design and started reading up stuff about it online.

Is is too late for me? I haven't even thought of a story or anything...

Also, what format do I submit the portfolio in? Like a book? Print out the pages? I see pictures online but don't understand how it's actually put together in a tangible form..

PANIC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, is adapting an already made story as the basis for your portfolio frowned upon? Like Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, etc. Is it fine as long as your designs are good?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by uzuin View Post
    Also, is adapting an already made story as the basis for your portfolio frowned upon? Like Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, etc. Is it fine as long as your designs are good?

I'm also interested in knowing the answer to this question. I am confident in my world inventing - story creating capabilities but it would be nice to know what's preferred.

Also I've seen a lot of robots/science fiction/space stuff in the entertainment design examples, but I'm not interested in that, and am more interested in fantastical stories and environments/etc geared more towards child audiences. This being the case - is the ED track well suited for that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by uzuin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidge View Post
    I'm also interested in knowing the answer to this question. I am confident in my world inventing - story creating capabilities but it would be nice to know what's preferred.

Also I've seen a lot of robots/science fiction/space stuff in the entertainment design examples, but I'm not interested in that, and am more interested in fantastical stories and environments/etc geared more towards child audiences. This being the case - is the ED track well suited for that?
    first, yes a lot of people just take an already existing story and reinvented.
    second, yes ent. design track is well suited for that, as it is more story based than ent. design which is more ID based and more conceptual.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidge View Post

They really just want to see your designs, don't worry about the story.It can be your own story or a one that already exists, But don't torture them by writing a 10 page story, you're not getting in at how good you write. a Brief description would suffice. They want to see how you design, (your design process) Try to design the whole world, what will we see? Characters, environments, some sort of transportations, and props, they want to see how you designed your subject from start to finish,

Foundation classes at Entertainment Design art center includes a lot of ID classes, such as figuring out how things work in the real world, lots of perspective, craftsmanship and..such and not much illustration courses, later on around 3rd term and so on, things get more 'entertainmenty', We take quite many classes with Transportation design and product design students,

Which seperates itself from the Illustration Entertainment Arts track, If you're totally into Nothing industrial, Illustration entertainment Arts is probably for you, but lots of people while they're here tend to change their views as they learn more about art and design,and might want to learn about the industrial side of things, But Entertainment Design, will still be good for what you're looking for, but you have to take a bit if industrial classes to get there. When entering illustration major, all illustration people takes the same foundation classes regardless what track i think, heads and hands, etc etc, i'm not familiar with, then a few terms later, they choose a track, in your case, the Entertainment Arts track. Just make sure you realize that Entertainment arts is NOT the same as Entertainment Design, ENtertainment Design is it's own major.

And for someone that asked if its too late, i believe the Entertainment Design 2011 Entry Deadline for SCHOLARSHIP is around feb-march for FALL entry, which it was like that for me, I think they might change it, im not sure. but that is if you wanted to get a scholarship for Entertainment Design, But i advise you to get it in by then, You will still have a few months to turn it in after that date since school starts in the FALL, but due to limited entry, people that turn it in after that date will probably have to wait another year,

Hope that clears some things up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rossipoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What about the physical form the portfolio should be in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It should all be listed on the site,
    11x17 Art Portfolio
    Itoya..etc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey everyone,
    i called Art Center about the deadline question and no, Ent D is NOT under the rolling applications system... so for the people who are worried, you guys still have time! the window to submit portfolios for Ent D major is Feb 1-15 as stated on the ACCD website > Dates + Deadlines :

Entertainment Design has a priority deadline of February 1st through February 15th, and students enter in the Fall Term only.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    would it be easier on the wallet to go to a non-art school first (like a UC or a Cal State) and then transfer over? maybe 2 years in former, the last 2 in accd?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Question about the fall art center workshop: https://inside.artcenter.edu/inside/..._root=u8l1n138

Do I have to register/pay a fee for any of the classes or can I just walk on in? I'm a high school student

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    Question about the fall art center workshop: https://inside.artcenter.edu/inside/..._root=u8l1n138

Do I have to register/pay a fee for any of the classes or can I just walk on in? I'm a high school student
    what workshop are you referring to? they don't required anything just to be an student of day program or artcenter at night but they never ask, a friend of mine doesn't go there but goes to all the workshops.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was referring to the figure drawing and painting workshops. Is your friend in college? I just emailed the help desk and got responses from 5 different people, they said the workshops are only open to those who graduated high school. =(
    They redirected me to the Saturday High program, but I can't start any classes till mid-February which bummed me out pretty hard since portfolios are all due by then and I could use more work on my figures.
    Good to know though, I'm currently taking figure drawing at vision 21 for like 860 dollars for 10 weeks (30 hours)... And I see Saturday High is like 250. FML

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was referring to the figure drawing and painting workshops. Is your friend in college? I just emailed the help desk and got responses from 5 different people, they said the workshops are only open to those who graduated high school. =(
    They redirected me to the Saturday High program, but I can't start any classes till mid-February which bummed me out pretty hard since portfolios are all due by then and I could use more work on my figures.
    Good to know though, I'm currently taking figure drawing at vision 21 for like 860 dollars for 10 weeks (30 hours)... And I see Saturday High is like 250. FML
    well he goes to pcc, but he still goes to the workshops at artcenter since nobody asks anything, also $860 for figure drawing sessions is really pricey, red engine studios holds figure drawing sessions every saturday for $20 (open to anyone who wants to go).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh. I might try sneaking in and see how it plays out lol

About red engine, I got said a 10 week figure drawing course is $595.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Z6c3kVY5hR..._fall_2010.jpg

Only reason I chose vision 21 is because it's a 10 minute walk from my house, while Red Engine is about a 40 minute drive and I don't have my license yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anybody that got in/goes to accd want to share what they wrote for their two essay topics for their application? :3

i'm not planning on stealing ideas, its just out of curiosity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh. I might try sneaking in and see how it plays out lol

About red engine, I got said a 10 week figure drawing course is $595.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Z6c3kVY5hR..._fall_2010.jpg

Only reason I chose vision 21 is because it's a 10 minute walk from my house, while Red Engine is about a 40 minute drive and I don't have my license yet.
    i'm not talking about a class, it's just workshops every saturday or sunday, you just go in and draw the model, of course it might be a bit advance since it is not a class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by marisahhh View Post
    anybody that got in/goes to accd want to share what they wrote for their two essay topics for their application? :3

i'm not planning on stealing ideas, its just out of curiosity
    It's been a while but... I believe I picked a few of the really popular artists and illustrators and talked about how they've influenced a whole generation of concept artists. Guys like Craig Mullins, Sparth, etc.

For the other topic I chose the one about taking a risk in life and having it pay off. I wrote about having enrolled in some college art courses while I was still in high school. I was totally unprepared for them but I struggled through it and it opened up a lot of new opportunities that I really took advantage of later.

Neither of these essays were too long, probably just slightly over the requirement they have. I would recommend spending as much time as possible on the portfolio itself. I know it sounds obvious but the two most noticeable traits I've seen of accepted entertainment design portfolios are a) high quality work and b) massive quantity. Subject matter and style are pretty variable, it just has to look good and like you spent a lot of time on it.

It takes a looong time to produce a quality piece and to produce multiple quality pieces takes even longer. But that will all be really obvious in the portfolio so that's where I would focus.

By the way, if anyone needs a place to stay for the upcoming spring term and beyond, I'm in need of a roommate. It's 1br/1bath, located near Old Town Pasadena, 850/mo. Call me or text 858-717-9899

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can i apply in artcenter if i haven't done BFA before because i have done BBA hons in buisness but want to apply for masters. What are the requirements for good portfolio do apply for masters? I want to go for industrial design. What are the requirements to apply for scholarship? The fees is too expensive. =s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For anyone who's applying to Ent Design at Art Center, I think they're opening applications for Spring term too. At least that's what I heard at school. They're in the process of getting a new chair for the department so lots of changes are happening.

To clear up confusions between Ent Design and Ent Arts, Ent Design is geared more for gaming and live action. Ent Arts is geared for animation and storytelling. That's not to say you can't do animation if you graduate from Ent Design or vice versa if you graduate from Ent Arts.
    Because there's going to be a new chair for Ent Design, it's becoming easier for both to take classes in each other's departments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone doning master program from Art center? Need some info regarding the requirements they look for? I have done my bachelors in different field though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i understand there is a entertainment design track for illustration major, does that mean I can also have a balance between life/figure drawings and ent. D stuff such as background designs and character designs included in the portfolio?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkleshine View Post
    i understand there is a entertainment design track for illustration major, does that mean I can also have a balance between life/figure drawings and ent. D stuff such as background designs and character designs included in the portfolio?
    it is call entertainment arts track and yes, just go look at school gallery to see their work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostDoll View Post
    For anyone who's applying to Ent Design at Art Center, I think they're opening applications for Spring term too. At least that's what I heard at school. They're in the process of getting a new chair for the department so lots of changes are happening.
    Not for this upcoming year though, at least

(ACCD admissions came up here to Seattle for a presentation yesterday, somebody asked about this specifically)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone know if your chances of being accepted into ED raises if you submit your portfolio earlier? I plan to use December as more practice time and January+the rest on the actual portfolio (of course the still life/figure drawing portion will be complete before then)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone know if your chances of being accepted into ED raises if you submit your portfolio earlier? I plan to use December as more practice time and January+the rest on the actual portfolio (of course the still life/figure drawing portion will be complete before then)
    yes it does, i deliver my portfolio about 3 weeks before the set time and got my admission letter 3 days later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 days after the deadline or 3 days after you sent it in?

If it's 3 days after you sent it in then that's rigged, first come first serve? Ugh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 days after the deadline or 3 days after you sent it in?

If it's 3 days after you sent it in then that's rigged, first come first serve? Ugh
    yeah it was 3 days after i sent it, so i got my acceptance letter weeks before the set time, the portfolio is only to see who gets scholarships and who doesn't, cuz frankly i've seen student who really don't know how to draw if their lives depend on it (this is on the illustration department) and who can do figure drawing for shit.

Page 59 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 89