The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 57
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 57 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 1925
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what's going on with new student night or any details regarding that, but for those of you incoming next term, welcome to Art Center, it's a roller coaster. Depending on what program you came in things are going to be a bit different, but for those of you coming in as Illustration majors, I'm the representative for illustration students for the Art Center Student Government. For entertainment designers on their way in, Rebecca Blake is your rep. If you are coming into one of the other majors or something, I don't remember the names of your reps offhand, but if you want to know I can pull that up for you. I hope your orientation goes well, and I believe there is a sunset social every term to get the incoming class together and do a bit of a meet and greet, I'll be there if there is one, look for the tallish guy with pink hair and say hi if you so me around.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to apply here for illustration, but it seems like such a pain... most of my pieces are huge and I wouldn't be able to ship them. I'd have to create a series of new drawings specifically for Art Center that are 8.5 x 11... not that I don't mind doing it, it just seems odd that I can't send slides when the majority of schools accept digital slides as a portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just read something interesting on the art center facebook group and it said that art centers entertainment design only accepts about 18 students for the fall semester.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyFatThing View Post
    I just read something interesting on the art center facebook group and it said that art centers entertainment design only accepts about 18 students for the fall semester.
    yeah but what's more interesting is that 2 of those 18 spots are for students switching majors (hope to get one) so that leaves only 16 spots for new students.

p.s for those planning to apply to ent. design the scholarship deadline was moved from march 1st to february 1st (because schedule issues), so there is one month less to work on portfolios.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chil3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
    I'd love to apply here for illustration, but it seems like such a pain... most of my pieces are huge and I wouldn't be able to ship them. I'd have to create a series of new drawings specifically for Art Center that are 8.5 x 11... not that I don't mind doing it, it just seems odd that I can't send slides when the majority of schools accept digital slides as a portfolio.
    i suggest you ask a counselor if you can send prints of your work. I'm sure they'd understand if your pieces are large and hard to ship and stuff. O:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My question is... are there any new students who are older than 35? I am thinking about going back to Art Center in Fall 2010 or Spring 2011. I will be 35 by the year 2011.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gogidolim: I wouldn't worry about it too much, you'd be on the older end of the spectrum, but not alone there, the current VP of the student body is 35 now. I don't have a current figure for it, but circa 4 years ago the average age for incoming undergrads was 27-28 I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all!

I've been reading over the posts in this thread for some time now and taking notes here and there...very useful information, for sure!

Anyway, I wanted to ask those of you who attended PCC and/or AC@N before applying/getting into Art Center, what classes did you take? Since I visited and reassessed what I want with college/my life, Art Center has become my top choice (not, however, without a good deal of thought and consideration--it is after all a rather huge-ish decision). I want to go into the Entertainment Design program but I know this will not happen coming straight out of high school--I am currently a senior in high school and haven't had any figure drawing courses whatsoever (there are none to be found in this small town I live in :| ) and was, as I expected, told that PCC and AC@N would be a good idea to help develop my skills and portfolio before trying to get into Art Center. Should I just load up on studio courses or should I bother taking Liberal Arts courses? Would the Lib Arts courses from PCC even transfer? (Probably something I'll end up asking admissions anyway) I also already have a few high AP scores, as well as three more AP tests I'll be taking this spring, and one US History course from a local community college (dual enrollment)--is there any chance these will transfer? (Also something I plan on talking to an admissions counselor about.)

Thanks!

Last edited by Azheryn; December 29th, 2009 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Azheryn View Post
    Hey all!

I've been reading over the posts in this thread for some time now and taking notes here and there...very useful information, for sure!

Anyway, I wanted to ask those of you who attended PCC and/or AC@N before applying/getting into Art Center, what classes did you take? Since I visited and reassessed what I want with college/my life, Art Center has become my top choice (not, however, without a good deal of thought and consideration--it is after all a rather huge-ish decision). I want to go into the Entertainment Design program but I know this will not happen coming straight out of high school--I am currently a senior in high school and haven't had any figure drawing courses whatsoever (there are none to be found in this small town I live in :| ) and was, as I expected, told that PCC and AC@N would be a good idea to help develop my skills and portfolio before trying to get into Art Center. Should I just load up on studio courses or should I bother taking Liberal Arts courses? Would the Lib Arts courses from PCC even transfer? (Probably something I'll end up asking admissions anyway) I also already have a few high AP scores, as well as three more AP tests I'll be taking this spring, and one US History course from a local community college (dual enrollment)--is there any chance these will transfer? (Also something I plan on talking to an admissions counselor about.)

Thanks!
    well i went to pcc and acan before entering the day program, at pcc i just took a bunch of art classes just for the sake of knowledge (from graphic design to product design) pretty much most of the classes, but the most important ones at pcc are the ones taught by art center alumni and teachers like: stang kong, albert yu, alen eye, rick osaka, plus figure drawing classes.
    AP courses don't really matter, some of them will transfer but not all of them, also if you go to pcc DO NOT i repeat DO NOT TALK TO THEIR COUNSELORS nor FOLLOW THE PAPER THEY HAVE ABOUT TRANSFERABLE CLASSES AT THE ART DEPARMTENT OFFICE as they are USELESS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    does acad require an essay?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyFatThing View Post
    does acad require an essay?
    did you mean ACAN, if it is then no you don't need an essay, just show a portfolio (it doesn't have to be as complex as the one for the day program) and fill out the application on the back of the ACAN handbook and pick the class of classes you want to take, btw the portfolio is if you want the scholarship for ACAN (it's easy to get) but if you have the money then just fill out the application and your in, is that easy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i meant art center, (Art Center College of Design) accd my bad. Not acan or acad. <_<.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for the day program, yes.
    two essays if you're going for one of the undergrads.
    for art center's ACAN program, like chil3 said, you don't have to do one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    artcenter orientation week is here, any new students going? we should get together at campus an meet fellow CA people, just say how your are going to be dress on tuesday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    derp. might be a bit too early for you guys to say atm, but if any illu students need loomis's head/hand drawing book and/or bridgman's head drawing books send me a pm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ANyone else applying to Entertainment Design ? I wanted to know the deadline for application and portfolio submission. Ive been trying to contact admissions but Ive had no luck. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art center programs operate on rolling admissions meaning they accept programs til program is full. That said, I strongly suspect that entertainment design is full for the term, as the term has already started, and likely isn't enrolling again until fall, as I don't think Ent Design has an incoming class in the summer as they don't offer most of their classes during the summer, not positive though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahovart View Post
    ANyone else applying to Entertainment Design ? I wanted to know the deadline for application and portfolio submission. Ive been trying to contact admissions but Ive had no luck. Thanks
    The deadline was moved to February 1, someone stated it earlier in this thread..I'm not sure who, but that was how I found out about it. Good luck!

[B]Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeble View Post
    The deadline was moved to February 1, someone stated it earlier in this thread..I'm not sure who, but that was how I found out about it. Good luck!
    that was me, but yeah the usual deadline is march 1st but because of schedule issues, ent design program moved its deadline to feb 1.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick someone post me spring workshop schedule!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck to everyone applying!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to wait until next spring to apply for to the Entertainment Design and Illustration programs. Is anyone else with me in that situation? I'd love to find a friend who will also be working on their portfolio this year with whom we can swap critiques, comfort, advice, etc!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
    I decided to wait until next spring to apply for to the Entertainment Design and Illustration programs. Is anyone else with me in that situation? I'd love to find a friend who will also be working on their portfolio this year with whom we can swap critiques, comfort, advice, etc!
    i believe you have to chose one either ent. design or illustration, if you pick illustration you can take the ent. arts track.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heads up on Ent Design. Scott Robertson is stepping down as chair for the program, a search committee will be hunting for a new chair to replace him. I'm not sure on this, but I assume Thomas Bertling will be acting chair in his absence as he has been fulfilling those duties for sometime.

Also, the director of the illustration department, Amy Masgai just left the school for a new position and will be replaced.

If you're debating illustration's track - entertainment arts vs entertainment design the main differences between them are Ent Arts focuses on vis dev for feature animation, you get some practice boarding, and a lot of figure work and background painting. You're trained a bit more on composing and illustration and making production artwork that will be seen in the final project your team is working on. Entertainment design is more focused on live action or game concept work, you will be in more of a pre-production role and exchange the majority of your composition, and almost all of your figure training in exchange for industrial design training.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So to be the bearer of utterly shit news here in case anyone isn't connected enough to the ACCD community on facebook

Norm Schureman shot and killed

No word on memorial service or anything of that nature yet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations to everyone that has gotten accepted!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Entertainment Design Spring 2010 Anyone else?

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah got accepted into Ent design spring as well....bit dissapointed that it wasnt in fall but I'm thankful I got in. So here's to the people that got in I'll be seeing you in the states soon if all goes accordingly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    Yeah got accepted into Ent design spring as well....bit dissapointed that it wasnt in fall but I'm thankful I got in. So here's to the people that got in I'll be seeing you in the states soon if all goes accordingly.
    spring? are you sure? ent. design starts on fall, not spring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They made it both spring and Fall this year, Because
    they've chosen their 18, Then they had an extra 18 on the waiting list, so they thought, hell why not just make another wave of students and put them for spring?
    So, now its fall and spring..

Yum..fall

Page 57 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast