Page 57 of 135 FirstFirst ... 7 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 107 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Well actually, they told me they'd take 18 units of transfer credits, based on my transcript. Not much based on the fact that I have a B.A., but I'll take it.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    so perspective class is a good class to take instead of digital design(photoshop)? I dont think i need to take it, so what other classes are good to take if ever i pass the waiver???

Thanks
    T-lapia- If you pass the test you will be placed in a more advanced digital design class, digital design 2 (as far as I know thats how it works).
    You have to take perspective unless they waived it when you got in.

If they let you take another class that is not digital, take something that is required. If you have a bunch of classes that you are not crazy about take something that you are interested in or vice versa. It helps get through the first few semesters if you try to have a balance of "fun" classes with ones that you are not that into. But take required classes, get those over with so you can have more electives later.

When I say fun I don't mean less homework fun.

Thanks
    No one of my friends waived digital design 1 and she was placed in perspective.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Oh okay then if you pass the test you don't have to take any additional computer classes.
    But perspective is a required class so she was placed in a required class that was open. Sorry, just clarifying.

So you guys are getting your classes, how exciting.

Thanks
    Hello,

I'm a new student at art center and i was hoping that someone would be able to help me with teacher selections.
    My classes and teachers are:
    Composition and drawing - Weston III
    Design 1 (gpk/adt/ill) - kahn, joan
    digital design 1 - sorenson
    drawing concepts 1 - smith, a.

May someone please leave comments about whether these teachers are good/bad and/or if there are better teachers? Thank you very much. And I apologize if someone has already commented on one of these teachers from a previous post. I do not believe claypool is teaching this spring term.

Thanks
    -Weston is good
    -Kahn well I had a class with her in community college and didn't like her but she might be okay for design.
    -Sorenson- I don't know
    -Aaron Smith is good

I would add another class like History of Illustration with David Luce.
    It is required for all Illustration majors and if memory serves it doesn't have that much homework (comparatively).

Thanks
    I had Will Weston last semester, good teacher, highly recommend him.

If you want for Design 1 get Jon Nguyen, he's tough as they come but an awesome teacher.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Felicia and evildisco - Thank you very much for the advice!

Thanks

Class Sched

I got my class sched (with the exception of writing, because we get our placement test results next week):
    Design 1- Kahn, Joan
    Drawing Concepts - Smith, Jeff
    Comp and Drawing - Attenbery
    Digital Illustration - Dana Duncan Seil

I guess Kahn is questionable? What do you guys think of the other teachers? Thanks!
    Last edited by gunnz; January 15th, 2007 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks
    Hey, guys
    I just want to be an illustrator and do editorial work...So instead of taking classes that you might not need as an illustrator, why shouldn't students just take the night courses and not get into debt?...or at least not as much debt.

Thanks

Night Classes

Acutally, I wrestled with that decision for a long time, especially since I was already making decent money doing graphic design. First of all, I had to be honest with myself. Some people can work 9-6, take a three hour night class, eat dinner, and do homework for a couple hours, and go to work the next day. I've tried this for a couple years, and it just wasn't for me. I just couldn't devote enough time and energy to my studies, and I ended up missing a lot of classes due to work. Taking two night classes a term is a stretch if you're working full time....especially when there's tight deadlines at work. Also, night classes in illustration are pretty much all at the introductory level. I feel like getting better at illustration has less to do with taking classes, than it has with being able to fully devote yourself to learning. Being in an artistic environment and with like-minded people helps ALOT too. Wearing a suit all day and hanging out with corporate stiffs definitely doesn't do much for an aspiring illustrator. Honestly, if I were younger, and living at my parent's house or something, I would probably stick with the night course thing for a while and see how good I got. I think it all depends on what type of person you are.
    Last edited by gunnz; January 16th, 2007 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks
    Gunnz- I think you are stuck with her, the other teachers are full. (Bendett I don't know, and Mitchell is suppose to be easy).

Oscare- Gunnz really covered it. It comes down to what you need to get to your goals and at the right learning speed for you.

Thanks
    Well, odly enough, i do live with my parents, and i don't have a full time job, so when i'm not at class, i'm working on my drawing and photoshop, or painting skills and trying to find out HOW to get started already. and i'm taking three night classes, not two. as much i think people learn from being at art center, i think i'd learn more from actually getting illustration jobs. is it all just learning how to draw really well, composing a good picture, and coloring it? or is there more to it than that?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscare
    Well, odly enough, i do live with my parents, and i don't have a full time job, so when i'm not at class, i'm working on my drawing and photoshop, or painting skills and trying to find out HOW to get started already. and i'm taking three night classes, not two. as much i think people learn from being at art center, i think i'd learn more from actually getting illustration jobs. is it all just learning how to draw really well, composing a good picture, and coloring it? or is there more to it than that?
    I think editorial illustration is also about great problem solving skills. If somebody comes up to you and asks you to draw a piece for some article on _______, you need the skills to represent the concept concisely, with style and imagination. For example, I'm reading an article in Times about how companies are reducing energy use and carbon emissions in manufacturing to stay competitive. The illustration shows a brick factory with huge stacks on top...spewing trees. Not the way I'd do it....but you get the idea. That's one way of showing that issue visually. Whether you want to show this idea literally, representationally, or in an abstract manner....this is all up to you. With editorial illustration, I've seen some really simple, basic, almost crude illustrative styles work well just because the idea was on point.
    Last edited by gunnz; January 16th, 2007 at 10:16 PM.

Page 57 of 135 FirstFirst ... 7 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 107 ... LastLast