Page 57 of 155 FirstFirst ... 7 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Thanks
    sir nicholas:

Take this advice or leave it, but be sure to send you drawings flat. I lived overseas when I first applied to ACCD and could not afford to send a portfolio in anything other than a tube. I got rejected. Then when I went there in person to present drawings in less than month, I was accepted. So basically there was less than thirty days between my rejection and acceptance letters.

If you're concerned about submitting newsprint, I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone knows life drawings are done on the cheapest paper so you're going to burn through a lot of it to get mileage. But if you have a drawing on newsprint that you really want to make look sharp, you could photocopy it at Kinko's. I have been in a few Kinkos that have a machine called the Zoomer which can copy 18 x 24 in paper. Conceiveably you could put toned paper through the machine and copy your drawings on to it and add some highlights in white prisma. Or you could simply copy it on to bond paper.

As long as your understanding of anatomy is good, you have a sense of perspective and proportion and there is confidence in your drawing you should be able to get in. Fifteen years ago, I got in and all I had was figure drawings. I didn't have any real illustrations in my entrance portfolio to speak of. I don't know how much has changed between now and then, but hopefully, not much.

Good Luck,
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by untitlednesslife
    wsup everyone!!!!
    i was just wondering if there were any other kids out there that got into ac right after highschool that could reply about how their experience was begining at art center...cuz all the older kids seem intimidating..and the way they make it seem like its major major workingage..*shudder*..lol..but yea..

and to be a little more on topic...
    i got no award stuff at all......
    how dumb is that...
    im gonna go broke..haha
    I would really not reccomend it to be honest. For the most part, the students i see that came straight from high school tend to be behind in terms of their foundation skills (with the exception of a rare few), and they are also a little less sure of what direction they wish to go, which leads to alot of major changing, = $$$. I would really reccommend spending the time to take some classes at PCC to sharpen your portfolio and foundation skills, as well as really help you decide which direction you want to go. I went to PCC for 2 years first studying product design, and at the last minute, realized that illustration was where my heart was. There are alot of other PCC alumni that would really reccomend it as well. At least look into it. Good luck

edit: PCC of course being Pasadena City College, located about 10 minutes from art center, alot of their art teachers currently teach or have taught at art center

Thanks
    I have to agree with HellTaxi, you should get atleast a couple of semester/terms under your belt before you come just so you will be better prepared and have more direction. There are also other places you can attend depending on what you feel you want. PCC is a good one and it is affordable, LAAFA is great, theres gnomon if you really want to do 3D stuff, Associates in Arts and there is some others but to me those are the best ones around unless you want to do an Atelier type of program/training.

I wish i did that but it is to late for me, so take note and think about what you want. good luck!

-Jesse
    "it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Just thought id post to thanks everyone for the information going round.
    Im considering applying for spring2007/spring2008.

Im coming in from the UK so money is a bit of a problem but it seems that the school sounds very good, and after all im not sure if im going to get in (.. or get any scholorship ).
    Im thinking about setting it back a year now and maybe doing a foundation year within the UK before heading out.

Do you think this applies to many of the Art Colleges in the US? Mainly Art Centre though cus im really very interested in then Entertainment Design course under illustration. I looked under the website and that course came under a minor and a major. I was wandering - do they still both come under Illustration and whats the difference.

Also applying from the UK do i need to take tests like the SATs or.. is acceptance almost all portfolio based ? What kinda extra stuff is needed if anything?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer, not only on art centre but on american Art schools all together, im at the hard point of deciding where i want to work towards and where to apply etc. Wouldnt mind people checking my sketchbook etc. see where im at, ideally id be comin straight out of college (usa equilivent of high school i think) and goin - not sure if i need to spend like an extra year working up etc.

Thanks. Andy.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks

Just wonderin

random Art Center questions...

1. How far in advance did you move to Pasadena without a place to stay?
    (particularly if you aren't already from California)

2. Anybody already planning to go to the sunset social?

3. What is the class schedule...because it looks like classes are on Saturday...only one day off? (if that's the case, I can already feel the burn from here.)

4. Are there earthquakes much in Pasadena? (east coaster here, forgive the SoCal ignorance)
    "Habit is the most subtle and comfortable of cages."

Lesedi's Sketchbook

Thanks
    I had relatives in SoCal but I found an apartment in less than a month. I stayed there for 4 terms but got flooded out during a heavy rain. Found another apartment and stayed there for the rest of the time. It took me about 4 days to find that first decent apartment.

My first three terms I had Saturday classes.

I was sitting on the toilet when the Northridge earthquake hit. I thought I was going to die in a pile of rubble without my pants on. The ground was pushing up, so it was like the toilet was trying to buck me like a rodeo. That house/apartment was built in the twenties and I was on the second floor. I really did think I was going to die or at least the building was going to collapse.

I grew up in Japan, so we had a lot of earthquakes. It really all depends on where you are when it hits.

Quote Originally Posted by lesedi
    random Art Center questions...

1. How far in advance did you move to Pasadena without a place to stay?
    (particularly if you aren't already from California)

2. Anybody already planning to go to the sunset social?

3. What is the class schedule...because it looks like classes are on Saturday...only one day off? (if that's the case, I can already feel the burn from here.)

4. Are there earthquakes much in Pasadena? (east coaster here, forgive the SoCal ignorance)

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    I was sitting on the toilet when the Northridge earthquake hit. I thought I was going to die in a pile of rubble without my pants on. The ground was pushing up, so it was like the toilet was trying to buck me like a rodeo. That house/apartment was built in the twenties and I was on the second floor. I really did think I was going to die or at least the building was going to collapse.
    WTF lol

Thanks
    I've been away so long that I've totally forgotten how to use this thing.

1. I still live a county away and commute about an hour one way (60 mi round trip?). Not moving until the Fall.

3. Not everyone gets scheduled for all six days of the week.
    4. I have yet to experience an earthquake on campus. Knock on wood.

"1. How far in advance did you move to Pasadena without a place to stay?

3. What is the class schedule...because it looks like classes are on Saturday...only one day off?

4. Are there earthquakes much in Pasadena? (east coaster here, forgive the SoCal ignorance)"

Thanks
    thanks Sheff and JB~
    "Habit is the most subtle and comfortable of cages."

Lesedi's Sketchbook

Thanks
    I went to the orientation today and I just have a question for current illustration students or anyone that might know the program.....Anne Field and two of the people that worked for her talked about some of the 2nd term and up classes that we would be able to take. The classes they talked about were "Analysis of Form", "Analytical Fig. Drawing", and "Drawing for Illustration."

From what I have read and gathered, there is no longer a class called "analysis of form"? Can anyone confirm this? Also when I checked the new cirriculum for each of the new illustration paths, there weren't any classes called "analytical fig. drawing" or "drawing for illustration." I also checked the summer schedule and non of these classes were on it except analytical fig. drawing. I thought they might have used the old cirriculum by mistake for the speech, or are we able to take these classes? Thanks.
    Last edited by JoshK; May 12th, 2006 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks
    LOL. I forgot about the earthquakes.. and the floods.. and the dry periods.. does it ever get bad? It seem so peaceful there, can't imagine weather terror in the area.~ =p

Did anyone find housing yet?

Thanks

Art Center at Night

Hello Art Center people. I'm currently finishing my first year at SCAD in Atlanta, but I'm planning on moving to Pasedina and transfer to the art center. On my spring break I headed out to LA to check out the campus and I was blown away. (mmm... so many shiney machines) Anyways, this fall I plan on taking some classes in the Art Center At Night programs that are offered. I heard that these are good for students who want to get improve and build more on their portfolio before they apply.

I was wondering if anyone going to the art center has taken any of these "Night" classes and If their are anything negetive things that I should know about this strategy.

So there's my situation. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you this fall.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianna
    LOL. I forgot about the earthquakes.. and the floods.. and the dry periods.. does it ever get bad? It seem so peaceful there, can't imagine weather terror in the area.~ =p

Did anyone find housing yet?
    The only thing it gets here is boring and smoggy.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Page 57 of 155 FirstFirst ... 7 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 107 ... LastLast