The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 56
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 56 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 1925

Thread: The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you haven't taken viscom 1 and 2, I would consider them the ultimate must. I would say viscom 1 is the single most important class in the entire program, as almost everything aside from characters is pretty much directly related to it, and the fact it is essentially a 100% perfect method of drawing manmade objects. From what I have heard about Illustrations 'Perspective I' class, they are completely different in approach, application, and final result.

Apart from that, we are about to undertake a re-vamped Creative ID process class which is essentially concept production for movies (live action or animation). Characters, environments, props, vehicles- it's comprehensive, and you build a model of one of your concepts at the end. (You need 3d fundamentals 1 or an equivalent to work in the model shop though).

But then again I'm only 3rd term. If you have an academic slot open, take art of research (if you haven't). It's an amazing class. Try for Ron Pierce, as he will allow you to tailor your assignments to entertainment related fields. The only problem I see you possibly facing with classes other than viscom 1/2 is that I think the program is tightening up even more in terms of who can take what class. So far, all of our studio classes consist only of our term's class, I don't think anyone else is being admitted. (not trying to be a jerk or anything, I think they are just tying down the program now that it's official, they want to keep classes down. Last year Viscom 3 and 4 had over 50 people in 1 classroom. They also have less teachers, as I understand it last year they had 2 or 3 Viscom 3 teachers.)

Last edited by Justin.; September 11th, 2009 at 03:53 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had VisCom 1, and yeah draw through > perspective, I've really got no solid idea what Creative Perspective for Entertainment, the Illustration department's new class is other than that it was intended to be similar to Adv. Perspective.

I've got access to the model shop but 0 interest in building models, maybe Imaginatomy's one but that's more maquette than model. I've done Art of Research too, though the instructor I took it with has since retired (I did the trans version with a Honda R&D vet and enjoyed it a lot)

40-50 is a pretty huge class, think Viscom 1 when I took several years ago was like 35 or so and that was with Scott, Neville, and Thomas all teaching it.

Now I'm primarily trying to hunt down classes that'll really help my design skills and am pretty comfortable with my foundation stuff so classes like Character 1 with Kevin and Hong and 2 wit Neville are really big draws for me cause the entertainment art's stuff is all a lot more focused on doing character designs for feature animation. Suppose I'll have to just talk with department chairs on most of this, I've got my 6th term review this term anyway at least.

Riiroi is offline Knowledge Thirsty Student Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I heard that Art Center is planning to build student housing. Anybody have any ideas how that is going? Have they started construction?

I Love Anatomy Books!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theoretically they have the right to develop student housing in old town pasadena near south campus, they haven't broken ground or even announced any official construction plans as far as I know. I wouldn't expect anything to come out of it in the next several years

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gygaxis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They should start right now. at this very hour, minute, second,

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rossipoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    SECONDED.
    bapsi needs a home. D:

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, glad I saw this thread. I'm looking for places to go right now and this place looks promising fo sho.

You can unequip that attitude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by a la bapsi View Post
    SECONDED.
    bapsi needs a home. D:
    And ross needs to walk down the hall and knock on bapsi's door and give her some copic markers

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rossipoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys I was just wondering if there was a place where a few people who were going into the entertainment design program had posted there portfolio, can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @platinumheart Did you read the art center website? They list exactly what they want for the portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh i know the requirements for the portfolio and all i was just curious to see what some peoples portfolios were that got accepted, like see how they had them set up, the quality of the work ect ect not really what i have to have i already know that, the only persons portfolio i had seen that applied to the entertainment design was http://shiramune.deviantart.com/ and his i believe is a little high brow,but i could be wrong,thats kinda why i wanted to see some other examples of accepted portfolios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all. Been following this thread for quite a while and I have a few questions about ACCD and its illustration program. Basically I am looking for a program that will give me, more than anything else, solid foundation skills in drawing and painting (traditional and digital).

If I knew that I could do it, I suppose I would be a fine artist--set up my gallery and get paid to paint whatever I want. But career wise that seems a bit risky. Illustration seems like a good way to get that kind of skill set while pursuing a more stable career (I DO want to be an illustrator, but if I had to pick a dream job...). I figure if I'm good enough, I can be an illustrator and sell paintings on the side.

Question #1: Is this even worth attempting? Or should I just concentrate on one or the other?

Question #2: I know ACCD is famous for ent. and ind. design, but how does its illustration program compare to other well known schools, like ringling? Is it a good fit for me? I prefer to stay in Cali but unfortunately my situation bars me from attending state universities.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by starshptroopr; September 22nd, 2009 at 04:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Illustration's pretty rad here. Everyone's different, but I sat in my fair share of studio classes at other art colleges in socal[if you're looking at other schools around here too], and the ones at art center really clicked with me.
    The illu major at ac has three tracks--one of them focusing on fine-art. Maybe it's the right one for you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do you all normally have transfers from academy of art university? I'm taking online classes and it's pretty boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to any of you thinking of or already taking rey bustos for any class here....or anywhere for that matter:

DO NOT BE LATE. EVER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've seen more transfers to here from AI's around the country than AAU. O:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AI? a la bapsi, what is that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the art institutes O:

24. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to any of you thinking of or already taking rey bustos for any class here....or anywhere for that matter:

DO NOT BE LATE. EVER.
    rey bustos is a douche

26. The Following User Says Thank You to HaroldB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, thanks bapsi o:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

sorry for the noob question, but what can a first term illustration student expect at Art Center in terms of the curriculum? For instance, what kind of concepts do they go over in a foundation class and can someone describe a typical homework assignment.

My homework at jc consists of... maybe 2 drawings a week, if that. this cannot be the case in art school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First term illustration: Expect to fill 2-3 sketchbooks + 1-3 large newsprint pads with figure drawings. The good figure drawing teachers will have you doing a couple hundred layin's and a ton of anatomy studies and you'll be in workshops for weeks getting them all done. Probably some painting too, not sure what classes actually comprise 1st term at this point though, pretty sure it's comp and drawing which is a figure class, comp and painting, head and hands, design 1 (have fun with abstract and exacting work and making a book if you've got claypool) and an academic.

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh missed this thread......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Gygaxis.

What about the more technical aspects of rendering, like value, line quality, basic perspective, etc, which I'm still trying to learn on my own. Do they teach that too or are these the kinds of things that incoming students are expected to know before they get there?

I get the sense that art center focuses on design and concept and ideating because its incoming students are already masters of rendering and observational drawing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're not expected to be a master of any of that coming in, you get good via doing it over and over and so you will be made to do it over and over. You either get Perspective as a studio first term or can try and sneak into a viscom1 class which will teach you more than just perspective class would but is a lot more work. Also for illustration Creative Perspective for Entertainment with Robert Hunt that is apparently pretty solid and just started up. Thomas Bertling and Gary Meyer are also amazing perspective instructors at ACCD. As to line quality, no one is going to teach you that, it just comes from practice and more practice, closest you likely ever get is Dynamic Sketching for Illustration with Norm Scheurman that will get you really comfortable drawing in pen but that's like a 4th+ term class and pretty demanding. If you expect to be doing a lot of designing and fairly fancy work early on, illustration is not the department for you, it's very foundation oriented for the first 3 terms or so then starts to open up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh awesome. That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for the information.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hear illustration majors can take viscom 1 instead of perspective.
    is it true and have any of you illustration majors out there done it?
    i understand i might have to fight for my spot in the class since all id majors have to take it for their first term.. but if i can i'll up and do it. D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hear illustration majors can take viscom 1 instead of perspective.
    is it true and have any of you illustration majors out there done it?
    i understand i might have to fight for my spot in the class since all id majors have to take it for their first term.. but if i can i'll up and do it. D:
    I've done it but I'm not sure if that's still allowed since they recently changed the requirements. You should check if that's still allowed but yeah I took it instead and it was easy for me to get in because it was summer. I'm pretty sure it's harder spring/fall but not too bad. I couldn't get into viscom 2 though. Personally i didn't enjoy viscom that much but I did learn a lot. It's a looot of work.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to pipermints For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Platinumheart : sorry i did not see your reply, For the portfolio just think to yourself, If i were to make concepts for a story ina movie or game, how would you do it?(Visualize the world). Paul Kwon ( shiramune )'s portfolio... At first glance, yes its rendered decently.. but as i kept exploring, it just seems like he did what he was always used to, characters with similar faces, very plastic or rubber-like rendering with very subtle ambient front lighting, the armor and cloth look the same, I just don't see any form or structure in his portfolio, don't get me wrong, he has great concepts and a great artist, but i think its from lack of sketching and drawing in 3d. I also would like to see some environments ( which is an essential to your portfolio ), But i think he didn't do any, or didn't show any, because he probably rendered environments like he did with his characters, same technique, which.. isn't how environments look (my guess). I think if he studied and practiced more away from his style/technique, i think his art would look a lot better. I think an ideal portfolio would be Justin Oaksford's, he got a half ride. He goes by the name of 'Justin.' here on CA, his portfolio is somewhere in his sketchbook. 2 other people that posted their portfolios on the web are Danny Gardner and Robert simmons, It's on their blog, I'm sure their blog will pop up if you google it.

Hope that helps!
    -Ross

38. The Following User Says Thank You to rossipoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new student night on dec 2nd, anyone (new students of course) going? any new illustration students in here?

Page 56 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 90