Page 53 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 103 153 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Thanks
    XDD Collected.

You're just here at like, the ultimate buckledown time, there's only two weeks left in the term so everyone has tons of major deadlines coming up in the next 14 days. There is a high work ethic, but there is definately some goofing around too. And the area is a little confusing at first, but it's laid out pretty well so you shouldn't have too much trouble adjusting to it. And lastly, you will grow in maturity over your time at art center too, I'm definately a far cry from what I was this time last term, and then I was a far cry from what I was prior to art center. Was the main gallery open today? I know the student gallery would be, but the main gallery is an Alumni show right now and has amazing stuff in it, some cool entertaintment stuff and some kickass figure painting (Steve Huston \o/)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianna
    In NY, I feel so confident and independent, all I need was a metrocard and a map and I can get anywhere I wanted, everything I need is a bus/ subway stop away. NY is so easy.
    I lived in NYC before coming to Los Angeles as well..

Welcome to Hell!
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Bah! West Coast is love *_*

Thanks

Question

Greetings, I'm currently a freshman at Ringling School of Art and Design. At the moment I'm thinking of trying to transfer (if they allow transfers or if I have to start out as a 1st year again) to Art Center.

First off, I want to transfer because I feel Art Center would provide the tools I need for concept design. Ringling has 2 concept classes, but they seem pretty general (combined env., story, character, etc. all in one class) and the concept work coming out of this school doesn't look that great compared to what I'm seeing from Art Center --- in the sense of, I know AC is really geared towared the entertainment business, where as the concept work I see coming from Ringling seems more 'fluffy' and less ready to enter the entertainment business. The classes here are far more focused on traditional Illustration as opposed to the great depth of classes found in Art Center.

I'm really looking into character design/clothing type of things, as well as enviromental and ID. I've been watching TONS of Gnomon Dvd's and it's techniques Since this is the only method I have, which is why I would like to attend to go to art center. Is this the best method for the moment to approach learning the craft? Or do you recommend I trying on my own without the videos?

The other thing is, after looking at the majors provided, I was confused which one really would suited my interest. I saw an illustration entertainment minor, which seemed to have all the type of things I would like to take, but it seems really different from the actual Illustration entertainment major. Also, I see an environment major but I really don't want to get into designing hospital buildings and such, I'm very much into the fictional, fantasy/sci-fi architecture. What is your input on the different majors?

Ringling seems to have a lot more (to say it lightly) untalented individuals entering every year. Many of these individuals turn in unfinished, half- assed work for assignments and being in a class full of them is rather disheartening. Concerning some of the posts I've been reading on this forum, has it gotten to the same degree at Art Center now? I've always known AC to be a top art school.

One of my biggest problems with being able to attend art center if I am accepted is housing. Tuition will be a killer, but at least I can take out student loans. But housing is another story. I was looking at housing around the Pasadena area and I couldn't find anything cheaper then $850 - $1000 a month. I seriously can't afford that on top of the tuition and cost of supplies. Any help? If I can find a place with decent rent, I can go, but if not, I'm not sure what to do about that...

I would like to post some of the concept art I've been doing (character, enviroment, and industrial arch.) and wondering if you could tell me what you think, compared to what is being produced at AC, and if I have, well, potentional. There are few classmates I know here that are interested in concept art, and for me to recieve critiques from. And I would appreciate your input on my work and if you think this would be something good to put into my portfolio application.
    I'll put them up tomorrow if that's alright.

Thanks
    As far as housing, look in Glendale. I just got a pretty decent two bedroom apt in that area for $1200. It's about 15 minutes from AC. You just need to find a roommate. What you should probably do it to find a temporary sublet or roommate through craigslist for a couple months. Then just look around for a better living situation.

Thanks
    If you get private loans, that will cover the cost of the tuition and living expense....might have to do cosign with your parents though.

Entertainment Design minor is probably what you want, its character and ID stuff.

I think helium posted a page back that the enviromental major is not what you want if you want to do enviromental design for entertainment.

I'm not sure if your studio classes will transfer.....usually AC doesn't let students transfer studio classes....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshK
    I'm not sure if your studio classes will transfer.....usually AC doesn't let students transfer studio classes....
    Do they accept liberal art courses do you know? For example, I've taken a writing class here, as well as a biology class and history class.

Thanks
    Here are some of the concept work I've been doing, and to restate my question again, I was wondering if you could tell me what you think, compared to what is being produced at AC, and if I have, well, potentional. Keep in mind I've never done ID or enviromental type designs before. Any crit as well would be great and areas you see I could really improve on.

The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Thanks
    I know a lot of you have recommended great professors to take classes with right from the gate.(and of course, amazing upper level professors too.)

How hard is it to get the great lower-level professors coming in? Is it pretty much luck of the draw, or directly related to how fast you get your deposit and medical form in so you can register? Can you request them when registering?

I know you AC folks are hectic thesedays, so thanks in advance.
    "Habit is the most subtle and comfortable of cages."

Lesedi's Sketchbook

Thanks
    thanks for the response Evil Shao!

another question for you lucky Art Center peeps:

I'm not interested in any form of degree but just want to learn, so is it possible to just take individual courses here and there at Art Center during the academic school year?

IF that's not an option, what about the night courses? Are night teachers up to par with Art Center's usual?

and how does Art Center compare with Gnomon?
    http://www.gnomon3d.com/coursesNew/a...my_design.html

Thanks for the time!
    Last edited by Denart; April 12th, 2006 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    all those specialized classes can only be taken once you are 4th term and above, they dont have any program wher eyou can take classes and not be enrolled, they have a flat fee that you pay per term, and you start as 1st term student and have to take those classes.

Thanks
    Has anybody recieved their financial aid/scholarship info yet? I've been having some minor problems with my papers so I re-submit them and they told me I'll get my results latest, in two weeks. Sigh.. Anxiously awaiting.

Thanks
    i got mine about 2 weeks ago but I missed the scholarship deadline for summer. There is another kid in my class that is going for fall and he didn't get his scholarship info yet.

Page 53 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 103 153 ... LastLast