The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by seb
    i think the real rivalry at art center is between the students and the morons that won't build any more parking spots.
    haha. i'm such a 20min parking . even tho i feel bad sometimes coz it hink about some poor guy w/ all this stuff he has to unload...

btw, GREAT NEWS. somehow my car registration info dissapeared from my records/registration stuff! bahahahaha hopefully that means less chance for tickets~~~

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a ! I'm a !!

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welp, Steve wants more insightful mind-probing posts from me so here goes.

I agree with him on the whole "choose your favorite but work on the opposing disciplines." If you're ID, work on the side at figurative. If you are Illus, learn ID stuff on the side. That's what I do. I'm Illus, but I'll be taking such classes as Viscomm 2 from Scott Robertson who if you don't know is a fantastic ID guy. I also like to learn it on my own time besides taking classes, plus it's just kind of a knack.

INSIGHTFUL STEVE?! You be the judge!

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fall term's starting pretty soon. I just want to know who here is going to be at the orientation, it's better to have a few buddies before school starts. my aim is chukaryooori8686. Name's alex.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'll be there! cept to work as an orientation mentor (its so fucking glamorous) and to snag free shirts. fall is the term for new shirt designs, YAYAYAYAYA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok guys i figre i'd post this here since i don't have every AC person's im and you guys are away every now and then, i figued it'd get more attention here

so anyways here is my question:

are there any worthwhile liberal arts classes at AC(illustration major)? i want to know because i am taking liberal arts courses at Pasadena City College to fill the gap, but i'm thinking i'd rather spend my time in art classes and wait for liberal arts stuff in AC.. basically if there is something cool, like history of illustration, i would like to take it at AC but a class like english comp i will get rid of by taking the corresponding course at PCC... basically in short i'd like to know what are good liberal arts courses so i can fill in the crappy ones with credit from classes at PCC (i don't want to waste time & money when i could be investing it into art classes)

all in all i'd like to take art classes as much as possible before going to AC and learn more while at AC. I don't want to take BS liberal arts classes at AC because i know it'd be a waste of money but i don't want to miss out on any potentially helpful liberal arts classes at AC. i hope you guys get what i'm trying to communicate

yea so any tips or suggestions or lists of good classes would be helpful, thanks guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey i will be at Orientation i am not an international student if that matters to anyone...
    ______
    name: Jesse
    term: foundation (illustration- entertainment design)

feel free to send me private message or IM on aim. i am also in pasadena right now so if anyone wants to meet or go draw that would be cool if you are in the area too.

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jmac, and any other prospective students or residents of Socal...

Visit the Southern California thead in the local groups section. We're having a meetup on Sept 11 in Huntington Beach, a bunch of AC people are going to be there, (or at least I'm working on that!) People will be carpooling I'm sure, so I'm sure I or others will be willing to give people a lift. I've already promised injection that I would shlep him around

I may be around at orientation to rummage through the lost and found. But I'm MaphistoButercup on AIM if any prospective students want to chat a bit before the term kicks off. I'm sure at one point or another we'll all be seeing eachother in the cafeteria.

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Teachers

Does anyone have any advice on which teachers to try to get for incoming students?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you want to get a taste of the real art center experience, take eckles for devform.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Care to elaborate?

Or should I just wait and see?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seb.. whats devform?

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    injection:

here's a list wikdotsys posted on the 2nd page, dunno if you got it:

Academic classes I recommend;

Films of Hitchcock
    Films of Stanley Kubrick
    History of Art I, II, III
    Language of the Moving Image I
    Philosophy ( or Intro to Philosophy )
    Environmental Issues
    Anatomy + Pyschology of Perception
    Brain and Conciousness
    Evolutionary Psychology
    classes like history of illu you HAVE to take at artcenter. some of the art history cores are sorta hard to get out of. if you can, though, try to get as much liberal art credit in as possible. it will drag you down if you have a lot of liberal art stuff hanging on your back.

are there l.a. classes worth taking? sure. wikdotsys mentioned a few. i PERSONALLY haven't experienced any myself but i'm sure they will come.

you can do studio stuff at pcc but it just won't count in artcenter. remember the more liberal arts requirements u have to fulfill in art center the fewer studio classes u can take. that said it's generally nutso to take 6 studio per term (max), it's a lot more palatable to do something like 5 studio 1 aca. or even less.

btw you shouldn't approach liberal arts as being 'a waste of time and money'. true, you're not going to ac for that stuff.. but a lot of times i find acd students who are stellar at drawing and painting.. but lacking that certain something that i'm almost positive a more rounded education would provide. course, if you are already a worldy individual this hardly bears any relevance to you .

as for classes to take first term... it's a crapshoot. u'll have a better idea of what to take for ur 2nd term classes. that said, don't sweat it TOO much. try to get in what you can, sure. but let the onus be on you and the effort you put in, and not your classes and instructors.

you should be familiar with the class adding routine though. coz it's hecka nutty during registration and the first couple days of class. in fact best bet is to know the classes u want the day you get your schedule and turn it in the same day... (that is if the class u want aint full and u dont need a signature.. which is unlikely given the size of fall term)

i'll look over the sched on campusweb and see if i can't recommend anything.. when i get a chance.

TOODLES

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium Macaroni
    seb.. whats devform?
    development of form. 1st term class for product trans. eckles is that weird guy on the bike and speedos i believe.

i always wondered if any of those classes (devform, model construction, etc) were worth taking as non id majors...

SEB COME SAVE US

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    development of form is the class that part of first term bootcamp for product designers. it's not really about what you are drawing in the class, but it teaches a lot about producing a lot of work, extremely fast and in a coherent fashion. i'm not too serious about suggesting that you take the class, but its great for a taste of the "old" artcenter in these days of new "diet," low carbs, sugarfree artcenter. oh yea. and maybe one person gets an 'a' in the class... if they earned it. a lot of viscomm classes used to be like that, but a lot of the former teachers retired or died off.

classes i enjoyed -

viscomm 5(trans) - ian cartibiano
    packaging - dan hoy
    archetype press - ?
    color theory - richard keyes
    any class by shozi(sp?) wang, academic classes focusing on modernism/architecture
    viscomm 2(older) - eckles
    viscomm 4(older) - pietruska
    perspective - gary meyer <- this is probably the most under-appreciated class at art center.
    there also was a good class on semiotics i took.

also if you want to be way old school, take letterform too. im not sure if its required from all majors besides graphics.

Last edited by seb; August 31st, 2004 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys,

I'm 7th term trans/entertainments at Art Center. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Some of the best classes at art center in my opinion are.....

vis com 1 with Harry Bradley.... he'll make you cry with his comments... he's truly old school Art Center

Perspective with Gary Myers.... he's simply the best.

vis com 2 with scott robertson or geoff valasco, eckles no longer teaches vis com. Scott teaches how to draw stuff in perspective and marker work, but you can get that in Gary's class if you pay attention. Geoff will teach you design and proportion along with the whole i.d. chalk and marker stuff. Geoff is from BMW.

Trans 2 with ricky hsu. He is badass. He is like a popular science/mechanic reference book. He knows everything. Teaches everything from traditional marker sketches to photoshop sketches.

Vis com 4 with norm shureman. Helps you develop a efficient sketching and ideating technique.

Vis com 5 with ian cartibiano. He renders like no other in photoshop. Really nice guy that really encourages entertainment design. He and Ryan church were classmates so if your lucky, you my get a church demo.

Sketching for illustration with bob kato. This man is like the gatekeeper. If you seen the ryan church dvds, you'll see where church got his method from. Bob is an amazing teacher, probably the best class i've taken at Art Center.... and Im Trans.

Analytical Figure Drawing with Danny Galieote. He's awesome teacher and really nice guy. He's a master in the making.

Landscape painting with mike hernandez... awesome class....

Background painting with dominique domingo ....

Visual Development with either of the Dreamworks guys.

Those are classes that I can remember off the top of my head... I'll post more when I think of any.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha. i can't believe you put down bradley. what an abrassive guy. now david solon was true old school art center. i believe he had been teaching there since the 50's; i was in the second to last viscomm 1 class he taught. he had this way of saying mean, but constructive stuff during crits but making you laugh with him. the best line was "i want you to put this over your bed and when you look at it every night, say 'i will not do another piece of crap for mister solon's class.'" roland yound is another one of those awesome teachers that defined art center.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thanks for the info guys!

just a small q. since i've taken viscom 1 (sorta) and 2, i figured 3 was naturally the next step? cause it's about rendering and materials and stuff... but you guys didn't mention it in your list of recommendations. what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Chumps for maintaining this behemoth and everyone who contributed to this thread, you guys kick ass. I was just accepted to AC (Illus) and this has been an invaluable resource for me. I'm starting in the Fall04 term and I have a few questions about AC. First, is there any reasonable way to get to AC besides having a car? I've studied th ARTS bus line (50 I believe) and it looks like it would be a stretch. Do any of you ride a bus? moped? bike? Second, what is the best way to get the instructors that you guys recommend, ie. Scott Robertson for Vis Comm? Should I be doing that at orientation? Also, does anyone have a recommendation about neighborhoods to live in? I'm going to try for a student roommate for this term before my fiance comes down in January. Again thanks for the great insight into AC and I can't wait to get down there and immerse myself in the amazing artistic community!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Puffin,

I've seen people bike to AC, but it must be a tumor on their existence, because AC resides on the side of a rather steep hill. So either way there is a hefty truck up or down depending where you live in the neighborhood. Plus, I would imagine anywhere close enough to actually bike would be a ridiculous amount of money, seeing that the surrounding area is quite affluent. Really there is no way to avoid getting a car to come to school, let along existing in LA without one. Everything revolves around driving. Plus you're going to have a crap load of art materials during various terms to be schlepping back and forth, a bike or a bus will not accommodate that purpose.

In regards to getting classes you want, all you have to do in some cases is get your dept. chair to sign a paper for you dropping, adding, postponing, or waiving a class. That however is if it's in your department and not full. If it's not in your department then you have to speak to the head of that department for permission. If it's full, you may have to talk to the teacher to extend the cap. You might also be able to do that by talking to the chairs. When I wanted to get into Scott's class, I was met with a bit of friction. First off the person who was settling some schedule problems for me gasped in horror when I mentioned I wanted Viscomm 2. Later, I came back and talked to a different chair and he said to talk to the head of Product Design. That chair then told me that the class was full and that I would have to find Scott himself to acquire permission. So.. being the obsessive freak that I am, I tracked Scott down at ComiCon in San Diego for him to sign my sheet. You may have to jump through some hoops, but you can usually get who you want and when.

In terms of neighborhoods.. I live in Eagle Rock. Smack dab in the middle of Glendale and Pasadena. It's about 15 minutes to school, and it's a nice area. Other places to consider are both Glendale and Pasadena, La Canada is nice also. Get a large detailed map of LA and take a look at the surrounding areas. A good one will show the smaller neighborhoods. Also get the housing list by calling the student life office, or some other office I can't remember. That will tell you apartments advertised through school. And also, take a look at the Occidental College website and find their housing section. That's how I found my apartment, which is of course as I said in Eagle Rock. Good idea getting a roommate period, some places can be rather expensive, but having a roommate will help drive down that cost, and having one that is a student will make for some good commonalities.

Good luck and I hope to see all you prospective students in the halls come September.

-Mike

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Mike for the detailed reply, thats just the kind of information I was looking for! You're comment about schlepping art supplies brought up another question, are there storage facilities at AC or will I be dragging my wet canvases home each night? Also, are there workspaces where I can finish up a project on campus without having to paint in my garage? Again, thanks for helping to shape the first term protoplasm.

Travis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vis com 3 is marker and chalk. Its taught by the eccentric Eric Robision. He use to work at disney imagineering. You learn how to basically render all diferent types of materials the i.d. way in this class. Everything here basically builds upon everything else you learned in the first 2 vis com class. hope that helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eccentric is a good choice of words to describe him.

"Nous sommes desoles que notre president soit un idiot. Nous n’avons pas vote pour lui."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks a lot for the info guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The way to describe Robison as is follows..

He always sounds like he is constantly pitching something to a producer, no matter what he's talking about. "Hey, that's a good idea, but I got a better one, howabout in order to fight Jesus the government has to bring back Allah, Buddha, and all those other guys to fight him!"

I swear to god that was almost a direct excerpt from him talking to a student in the Drawing for Entertainment class. I love the guy, he cracks me up..

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, that's a good idea, but I got a better one, howabout in order to fight Jesus the government has to bring back Allah, Buddha, and all those other guys to fight him!
    Hahaha. I would soooo see that movie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    opnitm,

Were you Trans at AC or Illus? I'm guessing by your site that you were trans. Think there would be any friction with an Illustration major attempting to take some of the trans/product classes you listed? I'm reeaaaly into perspective and environments plus props and vehicles. And as one knows they don't teach that in the Illustration dept really. I have indeed taken Gary Meyers Perspective class and he continues to be one of my best friends at AC Also I'll be taking Scott Robertson's Viscomm class next term. Just wondering where an Illustration major should start in experimenting with the ID classes. I think Gary may even have told me about that Trans 2 class.

Anyways, thanks!
    -Mike

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread has helped a lot, thanks guys!

I'll be seeing many of you soon at orientation - Fall '04 Illustration admittee.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helium,

I don't think there would any problem at all. Just a warning, the workload in I.D classes are 2x to 3x that of an illustration class. Especially the more advanced classes like vis com 5 and trans 2. Those classes rely upon the foundation already established by the classes that preceed them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, registration/orientation is coming up. I realize it's pretty much a crap-shoot for us incoming 1st termers, but I was wondering what teachers you guys would recommend (or avoid) for the following 1st terms Illustration classes:

Design 1
    Perspective (Gary Myers, right?)
    Principals of Drawing
    Head Drawing

Thanks in advance!

Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 89