The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 40

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1950
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayber View Post
    WhisperPntr-

I've noticed that a lot of illustration students start to tend toward an "Art Center" style. I had a conversation with Lorrie Madden one day after class and she said that she notices it in most students. While a lot of people tend towards this style at a certain point here I don't think that the faculty expects you to work that way. I was looking at entertainment design portfolios during the last week of class and I saw a lot of variation. I don't think it's about drawing a certain way, it's just about being effective. I think the cookie-cutter "Art Center" style is effective for a lot of students, but if you're conscious about it and want to be different I think you can get beyond it and the faculty will be happy you did.
    haha sup gray!

Okay, one thing you gotta remember is that as long as a teacher shows you how to draw, some of their technique is going to rub off on you...unless you completely disregard what they say. It's only after you learn the basics (usually with a certain style) that you can begin to refine the quality of your drawings and then find your style. Plus, we've got classes to help develop our own "touch" (lol) as we heard today in drawing concepts. So I think art center is aware of the Carmean style a lot of people get stuck with and they're making an attempt to avoid that stagnation.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got my acceptance letter for Fall '08 Illustration. My thanks to everyone in this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just how good do you have to be to get into the Art Center? I always imagine you guys' portfolios that you send in being really impressive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A friend of mine just started Art Center this spring and I heard that him and three other guys are the only incoming freshman out of the 250 who came directly out of high school. I'm not too clear on the details but that sounds pretty impressive to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am thinking of applying for a masters at Art Centre for either 2010 or 2011, once I finish off my degree in Industrial Design this year at Humber College. However I want to shift my focus to concept art wondering how the program there is exactly, since its a masters I'd assume I'd pretty much be able to structure courses around my needs.

Though for the moment I'm planning to give Max he Mutt a shot, as I've been to their school and the learning environment seems pretty solid along with some excellent work in the student gallery and much smaller classes than I'm used to which is a definite plus. (here at Humber I'm 4th year product major with 34 students in my class, 6 in transportation design, where as typical class size at MTM is said to be 15 students.)

So I was wondering how Art centre experience stacks up to other schools, I have 2 Professors that went there 1 who was there like 40 years ago and he other was in the same group as Harald Belker going through. Both of which had positive learning experiences there.

The skills gained from Humber focused strongly on product developement manufacturing, marketing, with little room for blue sky design. so though my sketching skills are above average, and I know allot designing products to work. Product design doesn't really tickle my fancy anymore and I'm looking for an institution to help me take my skills to the next level so I can compete with all the amazing concept art/visual development I see being done today.

I'd appreciate some feed back from others about the Art centre experience, and courses geared towards the skills needed to succeed as a concept designer.

Last edited by Devere; January 31st, 2008 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i see that i have found the ac forum... a little bit to late though - was way to lazy to read all the threads... but hey i posted a thread earlier and would appreciate any help on enrolling an dpreparing my portfolio!
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I'm planning to take analytical figure drawing next term and I'm wondering how the class is with Jeff Smith. I've heard some not so good things about him from friends who had him for head and hands but perhaps he has a different teaching method when it comes to figure drawing? Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    talako- You should ask Arron about Jeff Smith. He has him right now for analytical figure drawing, and from what I've heard it's a pretty cool class.

Econ- E-mail the office of student life to get a housing list if you want to find roommates around the area... A lot of people I know are living with other ACCD students and they seem like good arrangements most of the time. I'm paying $850 for a 1br (split 2 ways with my g/f) right off of Lake and Orange Grove and it's really nice. You should be able to find decent housing if you shop around. West Side Rentals has a ton of listings. As far as girls go... seriously, does anyone going to art center have time to date? I live with my g/f and I hardly spend time with her. I'll just say "not bad."

Devere- You should try to contact Peter Chan (http://www.drawpeterdraw.com). He was a graduate ID student who went into entertainment design here.

bibbels- Sorry man, I don't know about the graphics program. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys,

i start in the fall of '08(for GPK), i was just wondering if you had any words of wisdom, any sort of advice not only in terms of surviving but also advice in terms of good places to live/the surrounding area of art center.

anything is greatly appreciated,

scott

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is anyone else worried about the transition of entertainment design into its own major? I hear there are only going to be so many spots open and I've also heard a rumor the entertainment arts is going to be cut out sooner than anyone thinks.

???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why would entertainment arts be cut out? I haven't heard anything close to that rumor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone going to the accepted students event on March 29th?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a nasty rumor I heard, thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone else knew.
    But what I'm really getting at is the number of students their saying they will admit-18 students only for 3rd term?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there's been a whole bunch of meetings and stuff about the entdesign major - they are accepting only 18 students a year and the entire curriculum is already set. there aren't any classes in the summer because they set you up with internships in the industry. basically they're just being really snooty and exclusive. big surprise, eh?

anyway, any upperclassmen have some advice for 2nd term wondering whether she should go into ent design or arts? and what classes did you find most valuable from your foundation years?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, everyone.
    Think Im going to apply for this year term. Does anybody know, when the art center crew will need to have my application, if i want to get there in fall? I'd apply for the product design track. but Im a little concerned, they dont have a industrial design b.a. I reckon most companies consider product design as less valuable as industrial design. Dont you think?
    And what about if they finally decide to make entertainment design a major someday? Will I be able to change my major, just like that. Will there be any problems? I guess lots of courses i did in product design will be worthless then, right?
    And I wanted to know if there are any applicants from germany, this year?

So, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dr.Bigdick; April 2nd, 2008 at 02:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello doctor,

Art Center accepts portfolios until the classes are full so you have time. As for switching majors, you are allowed to transfer however you need to resubmit a new portfolio specific to that major and you will also most likely start as a term 1 student.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, I'm going back to the East coast for the summer so I'll have a room open for rent during that term. It's in a nice, clean house in a quiet neighborhood with 3 very cool and respectful roommates (two of which are also AC students). It's located about 5 minutes from the main campus and old town. It will be available to rent from May 1st, 2008 until August 31st, 2008 (I come back Sept. 1st). Send a PM if you're interested.

Good luck with finals everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, slang.
    But wait a moment. did I miss something? Does Art Center offer an entertainment design major already? or why is "entertainment design" listed among the undergraduate programs?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my understanding is Ent Design is transitioning from an illu minor to it's own ID major as of this fall term.

Anyone heard if it's going to be a BAS like the other ID majors or BFA?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess its going to be BFA.
    Do you guys think, it'd be possible to get anybody from ACCD to have a quick look my online portfolio/blog over to give me a little estimation of my skill level?
    I live in Germany and dont really have time/money to get to pasadena that easily to have my portfolio reviewed.
    Yeah, and does anybody know, if its possible to get scholarship for entertainment design?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone!

I'm an Entertainment Design hopeful here, applying for this fall, when it will officially be it's own major!

Also there's an open night this Saturday where you can meet the faculty. I'm going, and I'm bringing my progress on my portfolio for admission!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey anhedonic, whats the deal with that open house?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thinking of applying to Spring 09.
    My biggest concern is just in finding a room. How much do shared places go for in the miles around the North campus? a quick fetch on Craigslist shows almost identical places in terms of size and location for 400 bucks difference in price. Does ACCD have an kind of forum set-up where students can connect?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin, this is all I know: http://www.artcenter.edu/accd/studen...ousinginfo.jsp

Does anyone know, whether entertainment design starts in fall only?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, ent design starts officially as a independent department Fall 08, and applications for a spot are due sometime midsummer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've applied as an Illustration major for Fall '08, but didn't get in right-away -- they've asked for a second portfolio, with more figures and color work. I'm working on it!

Anyway the new Entertainment Design major caught me off guard, and if I have time I'll try to work-up a third portfolio and take a shot at it. But from what I've seen on the web these portfolios need to be pretty strong. Here are some examples (I think):
    http://dannydraws.blogspot.com/
    http://robertsaysdraw.blogspot.com/

Given how hard it is to find info on all this, here's the email notice they sent out regarding Entertainment Design:

I am pleased to announce that Art Center College of Design is adding a 10th undergraduate major, Entertainment Design, starting this Fall 2008 semester. In the past, Entertainment Design was a track housed within the Illustration major and students were not able to enter the program as a new, first term student. This is no longer the case and we are pleased to offer new students the option of entering this program in their first semester.

I want to give you an opportunity to apply directly for this new major.

Entertainment Design will admit new students into the program once a year for the fall term. The Fall 2008 scholarship deadline for Entertainment Design is Friday, March 14, 2008. The Fall 2008 application deadline for ALL majors is Friday, August 8, 2008.

If you are interested in entering Entertainment Design as a first term student this fall, please review the portfolio requirements below. If you would like to meet with an admissions counselor to review your work, please contact our Admissions office at 626.396.2373 as soon as possible to schedule an appointment.

If you have already submitted an application for another major for Fall 2008 and want to apply for Entertainment Design instead, you must inform of us this change in major consideration. Fill out the attached Entertainment Design Supplemental Application and return it to the Office of Admission.

If you have questions about Entertainment Design contact Lacy Van Court, (lacy.vancourt@artcenter.edu), Admissions Counselor, who will address questions you may have.

Many thanks! We look forward to working with you as you pursue your educational goals.

Best regards.

Elias Gonzalez
    Associate Director, Admissions

August 8th!

If I understood her right, Lacy Van Court did mention you can try applying into the program after your second term (from Illustration).

- Matthew Durante

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here are the portfolio requirements, that were attached to that email. I don't see why I shouldn't post them here...:

Entertainment Design

Portfolio Requirements

The task of a concept designer for the entertainment industry is to be able to provide an infinite number of design variations of characters, environments, vehicles and props for stories taking place in the past, present or future. Your entrance portfolio into the program at Art Center should reflect this interest and provide an example of your current abilities towards this task.

Please include examples of your own original design ideas created for a story of your invention or choice of an existing story.

Your main focus should be in the creation of original designs that are well communicated through drawings and renderings. Examples of your range of skills in the designing of all four of the major subject topics, environments, characters, vehicles and props should be included in your portfolio.

Please include both the early concept design sketches and more finished renderings of your design ideas. It is important to show your thinking process through a range of sketches and renderings that progress from rough to more finished. Emphasis should be placed more on well-drawn original design variations than on including only highly finished color renderings. Color copies or prints may be submitted in lieu of original color work. Work should not be submitted on a CD. Sketchbooks are a welcome addition to your portfolio. Traditional media sketches, pencil, pen etc. and or imagery created digitally and then presented as a print are welcome as well.

- Matthew Durante

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by whatshisface View Post
    hey anhedonic, whats the deal with that open house?
    whoops, it's the weekend after this one!

here's what the flyer i got says:

Art Center College of Design Open House

Saturday, April 19 2-5pm / Hillside Campus

Advertising / Entertainment Design / Environmental Design / Film / Fine Art media / Graphic Design / Illustration / Photography and Imaging / Product Design / Transportation Design

2-5pm
    tour the Hillside Campus
    View the work of this terms's graduating students
    Meet staff and faculty from all disciplines

Special Presentations:
    Admissions and Financial Aid
    Film Department screening

PS I'll be the tall dude with long hair, hopefully we'll run into each other!

Last edited by anhedonic analog.; April 10th, 2008 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DAMN! these guys are good!!

scary but very motivating to see what kind of skill I'm up against.
    These guys have been accepted already according to their blog..

best of luck to anyone applying!

OH and for anyone living close enough to Pasadena, there the Concept Design Academy close to the AC South Campus, with classes from AC Alumni:

http://conceptdesignacad.com/

Last edited by anhedonic analog.; April 10th, 2008 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MDurante,

Thanks a ton for posting the info about the entertainment design major. I'm sort of in the same boat as you (applied for illustration fall '08, was asked for a second portfolio, got in) but I never received the notice. Any chance you could send me the entertainment design supplemental application that's mentioned? I'll send you a PM.

Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook