Page 40 of 155 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 90 140 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascar Capac
    Ill second that..you're payin all that money - you have to make sure you get rid of the BS classes that inevitably get dropped out of the curriculum anyway! ..and sub them with more technical classes from other majors.
    I CANT believe illustrators werent required to take the VISCOM classes
    How I wish I had taken those...instead we had to take such classes as "art concepts and experimental illustration'...I understand its important to expand your horizon but for the money we were payin...forget about it, I want technical training, not experimentation..that comes later

and which classes do you think those are? both that can be dropped and that should be taken. I definitely feel that perspective is one of the ones that should be added.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I graduated over 10 years ago so I can't speak to the current curriculum. I would say take whatever classes you can that will provide you with the skills you will need for whatever area you want to specialize in.

I think I was 5th term when I had a 3d class. At the time the computers were so slow in 3d apps that you had to wait 3 minutes for an undo. I dropped that class immediately and substituted it with a traditional painting class. So for the rest of the time in school, I had no computer training whatsoever.

I also wished I had some viscom classes. I could have done without moderism and psyche of success. Some of the upper end illustration classes were also a waste of time. In general, I think I would have taken some trans or product classes. Anything that will not benefit your skills or problem solving ability is a waste, but you might not know which classes those are until years later when you are out in the field.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brumfield
    How does Art Center work as far as student loan refund checks and what not? When I was at SCAD I had an occasional job, but for the vast majority of the time I was there I just lived off of my refund checks... you know, extra money that was left over after the school took what they needed from my loans. Is that the way it works at Art Center? I'm assuming so because so many of you don't have jobs or anything so you have to be paying your rent, utilities and food somehow. If not, how do you work that all out?
    Refund checks? Financial aid can't exceed the cost of tuition. The only time I have a refund is when I overpay tuition because the loan is taking too long to process...

Thanks
    Finacial aid actually will exceed the cost of your tuition by quite a bit most likely. As at ACCD they have you demonstrate that you will have the ammount of money required to attend for the semester. Their estimated budget covers housing, transportation, food, supplies, tuition, and some left over for incidentals, and is very much what I'm surviving on. I'm nervous as hell about the size of the student loans, but I know that I'm learning how to pay it back. ACCD is the best place I've ever been, and I've felt that way since the moment I set foot in here =/ You'll learn soooo much from the other students too, because there are people here that will be doing what you're looking to do. And you'll make great contacts with people that you'll be working with over the years.

As for Viscom, god yes, how is that NOT required for illu yet? Think it's going to be part of the reqs for the Entertainment Design minor is it not? But yeah, deffinately stick with as much foundation technical skill classes as you can. Get to the workshops that you can besides homework, and go to the guest speakers and stuff. Find which teachers will bust your ass and make you work the hardest, and then find out how you can get into their classes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gygaxis
    Finacial aid actually will exceed the cost of your tuition by quite a bit most likely. As at ACCD they have you demonstrate that you will have the ammount of money required to attend for the semester. Their estimated budget covers housing, transportation, food, supplies, tuition, and some left over for incidentals, and is very much what I'm surviving on. I'm nervous as hell about the size of the student loans, but I know that I'm learning how to pay it back. ACCD is the best place I've ever been, and I've felt that way since the moment I set foot in here =/ You'll learn soooo much from the other students too, because there are people here that will be doing what you're looking to do. And you'll make great contacts with people that you'll be working with over the years.

Cool, thanks. I figured that's how it worked, but I hadn't seen anybody in this thread really talk about that. At SCAD I got an extra $5000 or so back per term (they're on a quarter system though instead of semesters... meaning that money only had to last me about 3 months) in student loan refunds which paid for my rent, food, etc with a little left over for other shit. If you don't mind me asking, how much are you getting back every semester? And is it enough to have your own place or are you renting a room or what? Do you have enough to make the occasional splurge, you know go to the movies, buy a dvd or a game or whatever?

In case you can't tell, I'm planning on applying to Art Center soon and I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect when it comes time to apply for loans and stuff. I already have a good idea since I have dealt with all of that when I was at SCAD... but you know, different school. Just trying to see if the financial aid system is similar.

Last edited by CruShTinbOX; October 15th, 2005 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks
    I went to the art center site to find information on viscom but there's no course description there. What exactly is it and why is it so beneficial?

Thanks
    Gauge:
    go here: http://www.artcenter.edu/datalog/ProgramsOfStudy.jsp

then chose Product Design or Transportation in the drop down menu and klick "Submit".
    A matrix of courses should appear. Under Visualization you should find: Vis Comm 1 click on this and you get a little summary with some information.

Thanks
    thank you mario.

another question, is industrial design a former major there that was removed?

Thanks
    Industrial Design is kind of a blanket category for the Product Design, Transportation Design and Environmental Design majors. Trans does vehicles, Product does like, every conceviable type of goods, mostly retail stuff, and Environmental designs public spaces.

Thanks
    Sheff, I checked out your website and I loved the Star Trek James Brown and Ray Charles.

Thanks
    Thanks bigmack!

Thanks
    Hello, guys!

I need help on the portfolio part for Graphics Design. I have an idea what it needs... but I have never seen somebody else's portfolio before! Especially someone applying for a Graphics Design course. I don't know anyone who's a Graphic Designer either.

Can anyone help me? I need to see examples. I know it's impossible for me to get accepted in ArtCenter with my mediocre grades and underdeveloped talent... but I'll give it a try anyway.

Johann Pascual

Frustrated Designer
    www.fjmucomics.com

Thanks
    you should probably revamp your attitude about it before you do. Confidence goes a long way.

Page 40 of 155 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 90 140 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook