The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Katsushiro: I wanna know the same there - Heck i'm just trying to scrape together stuff for a 'folio... and I don't think there's any way I can make a folio for prod design so I'll shoot for illustration - is it hard to change majors after being admitted? Or should I major in illustration and minor in prod design? I still have to look at it again, but it said something about having stuff in your portfolio based on what you're going for, so something about some full fleshed out and researched design for prod design... sounds complex, especially since I really don't know anything much about it.

Of course I'm askin in a somewhat biased thread, but what do you think of RSAD vs. AC?

$925!?!?... oh man... =(

HUNTER: man i thought that'd be a great idea - rent a place w/ lotsa people... thing is when i first head out there i won't know anyone, plus, for stuff like proposals from people like you - sucks that i'm a girl eh? haha j/k but ya know... =\

~chasing whims is not always a waste of time~

sketchjunk thread give me a MOO!!!–CATLsketchgroup

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fae, from what i heard you can just add your minor by simply filling out a form at the school before the semester starts. I'm thinking about adding product design to my major too. So im gonna try this next week when i get to pasadena, i'll tell you what happens then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok cool, let me know ---
    but what about changing majors? I'm still debating between Illustration as my major and ID (product design, essentially) - thing is, I practically know for sure there's NO way I can get in for ID portfolio-wise.

Ok - another question -
    Should I go ahead and finish a degree here and THEN look at it? Or is it worth going in now? Which way will benefit me more? And do I have a chance to get in being so fresh to all this - I mean I've only taken two art classes at my University, over the course of a year. The rest were core classes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think any one may be hard pressed to actually manage 2 major, or anything like a major and a minor. In fact I'm relatively sure you can?t minor in anything at AC. Plus, given the workload and class requirements for the Illustration major, you will have no time for other rigorous ventures such as core product/trans classes. If you pack your schedule, you will have a significant amount of work to do your first term, especially if you are entering with no previous credit. I find it rather pointless to hem and haw over minors or duel majors; if you want to take a class at art center the procedure is relatively simple. If it's in your department, simply get the chairperson to sign an add slip. If the class you want is outside, talk to the dept chair of that dept or the teacher of the class to get a signature. Relatively nothing is out of grasp at AC, and the Illustration major is the most versatile one. Going the track of entertainment, which I'm assuming most here want to do, is most attainable and practical through the illustration major. Through that you can cross disciplines and take other particular classes as electives, say Scott Robertson?s Viscomm 2 class, which is essentially what he teaches on those Gnomon DVDs.

Concerning previous classes, take core liberal arts classes. Really the Studio classes at AC are worth it, and you'll get a pretty good approach and most likely a better approach than any previous studio classes you've taken before. What will do you good and lighten your load, is if you take care of your liberal arts core completely or for the most part before you attend AC. I attended Pratt before this and it completely eliminated my cored liberal arts requirements, along with my first term of studio classes. That?s another story though.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok so i have 12 credits of liberal arts that has transfered over will that help me out? also does anyone have certain teachers they recommend for 1st term students, i want to be pushed! since this all out of my pocket i want to get every cent worth of instruction. i know it might be hard to say who i should get and who is better than another instructor right now b/c the instructors change sometimes each term. if there is is a list of your favorite teachers that you really like could you guys and gals share with your reasons why? if you don't mind...

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah-hah.. Gerardo, I remember seeing you're stuff at last year's Super Thursday... I think. I remember seeing that curved island. Nice stuff, glad to see you're working. Gives us currently enrolled chumps hope.

(no pun intended, chumps )

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That?s fantastic wikdotsys. Yeah quite a few of my friends from my last school aren?t exactly in their chosen career field. I was lucky however and met a guy through a chance encounter and now I work just about full time for him, and he works subcontracting for Disney and has worked on the last 6 Spielberg films. Actually.. I know about NDA's too. At the moment I'm doing quite a bit of production design including sets, props and spaceships for an upcoming TV series... which I don?t know if I can talk about without risking the state of my testicles. What I enjoy mostly about the job market here is that whole "networking" thing. I'd rather do that than cold call and portfolio drop off. I came to LA however explicitly just for the opportunity to network while I was in school. I just got lucky and am working as much as I'm doing school.

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope.... unless ofcourse that track is blown up by a 1930's film villan with a black handle bar mustache!

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey i heard about a guy named kain at AC? do you guys know him? if so i would like to see some of his works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Khang Le? I know OF him.. its so funny how some AC people become like.. legends. It's so terribly dorky

His site:

http://www.khangle.net/

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm... so after reading the posts it seems like product design as the major is better than illustration if you want to do entertainment design. If that's true i might have to consider changing major later on. The thing is i like figure drawing though, lol.

also, i know that portfolio for applying product design needs to have a few ID concepts and stuff. is it possible that i take a few classes from product design during my first term then use the work i get from that class to reapply into product?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "The best thing to do is to Product and enroll in illustration classes, and going to free figure drawing workshops that are held daily." - wikdotsys

wikdotsys and xHUNTERx ok so i am reading and thinking about what you two are talking about... i am like most people who are attending art center that are on this board. i am intending to focus on entertainment design too. i am 1st term in the fall and enrolled in the illustration program, what should i do? or better yet if you were in my place what would you do? any help would be appreciated, and thanks

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok...
    Here are a list of courses i've taken at my University - the art classes, as I hear and understand, probably won't transfer.

Calculus I and II
    English 1101 and 1102
    Political Science (Government)
    Global Economics
    Introducing to Information Systems (CSIS)

Art:
    Drawing I
    3D Design

This semester I'm taking:

Art: Drawing II
    Philosophy
    Sociology
    Chinese I
    Intro to World Civilizations (History)

Do you think I'll be able to transfer a # of the liberal arts courses? I purposely looked at Art center liberal arts requirements when I registered for courses this semester... they're also core for my university, mainly.

Also... how good are most entering students? I want to know if I even have a chance... =\

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    J.MAc: what wikdotsys says about working hard for the first four terms is a great idea and then take all the electives you want in other majors strating 5th and later. If you later(one or two semesters later) find out that you like product better than illus. then you can switch over to product, but you'll have to make up some product classes cuz you were previously in illus. The problem I have with product is that you can draw the technical stuff very damn well and can actually build these things in the shop. But the thing I dont like about that major is that you dont learn how to paint(you might be given one or two classes, im not sure) or draw the figure(unless you go to workshops and draw from them. It's up to you what you want to concentrate on, but if I was you, I'd give the illus department a try for at least a term. There are sooooo many good drawing and painting skills that you get taught. The reason why I'm staying in the illus major is cuz I like painting more, than entertainment. I love them both, but the way I see it, is that I'll first learn to paint and draw well enough to defend myself amongst the big guys(Hopefully I'm good enough), then I'll take a couple of product/ent classes and get the best of both worlds. (sorry if my response sounded like one big long sentence )

fae: the liberal art courses that ACCD lists are transferable.
    -Now about how good everyone is......well....its kinda iffy really. There's really two groups of people that come in. Theres those that have heard of art center and think its a cool art school and have drawn a little bit in high school, and want to draw cool monsters and stuff so they go to Art Center. When they get there its a whole different ballpark, cuz its not as easy as you think, the workload is damn heavy, and their immaturity gets in the way and they slack off the whole time, complain, or just quit.
    -the other group of people, have visited ACCD and know of a lot of the pros come from their, and are very serious about art. They dont complain(you'll see A LOT of this from the first group, or at least I did when coming in), they work their butt off, and are always striving to improve.

So as you can see...theres a huge variety of peeps that come in to accd. If , you havent drawn much before accd, but are willing to work hard then you'll make it. I suggest making friends with the peeps that are on the same boat as you, and fast! This way you'll learn from each other and improve as a whole.

I hope I've helped and if anyone has questions, let me know, ill help ya out!

-Iwasink

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx much everyone, I.was.Ink, etc.

Sorry for the pounding of questions : i'm just really trying to make decisions here etc...

I'm worried I won't have a good nuff or 'full' nuff portfolio - as in, it's quite limited I guess. I managed to get into Drawing II this sem. w/ an override, which will end with some figure drawing, so I can add a bit of that in my folio - I have some decentish still lifes... etc.

Man... I would love to meet and get to know some of you guys from off here if I do go... =P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ill be at school next term so if you see me around let me know and I'll help you out with your schedule( or whatever) and give you pointers on anything. If anyone has any other questions and thinks I can help them out, you guys can reach me through aim at:AmIAnArtist

cya fellas later

-Oskar

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    adding on to what Wikdotsys said, if you work hard at illustration and just work hard at plain ol' getting better at designing and drawing, you'll have the ability to go into entertainment. A lot of what you learn at a school comes from your own observation and studies, not just what the teachers teach you. product...illustration...it all boils down to how well you design and how well you can get your ideas across

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx you all - you all rock...

Um... what if I can't paint worth... junk... right now? I mean i haven't taken any classes or done much on my own since supplies cost money + a place to do it etc... I dunno you get my point... my drawing isn't great but it's def. my stronger point...

edit:
    i.was.ink - i added you to my AIM list, if that was ok

um... what happens? I send in an application, then a portfolio later? I'm sure i can find this in their info etc... but yeh... is the portfolio slides or actual pieces? And how late can I turn in the portfolio if say... I were tryin to get in for spring?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What AC wants to see most is figure drawing. They want to see it all, but mostly figure drawing. Give them a good rounded portfolio if you can, but make sure there is figure drawing!! Apparently, it's quite a bit easier to get in to AC lately due to the fact that they are building a huge addition to the campus and want all the money they can get. I've seen some trash artists get into AC, and it boggles my mind. I'm not calling anyone in here trash! I'm just stating that the collective level of work seems to be lower than previous times at AC.

Ink is right about the talent of the people at AC. There's different kinds. There a good amount of crap artists, a good amount of middle talent artists, and a good amount of super-stars. Its rounded.

And for Gods sake. DON'T DO PRODUCT IF YOU WANT TO BE A CONCEPT ARTIST! Period. Do you want to make mailboxes on the vaccuform machine? If you don't, then choose illustration. Do you want to make speed forms out of plaster? If you don't, then choose illustration. You can always add product/trans electives later, like Scott Robertsons class, or other viscomms. But for the love of God, don't chose product or trans because of thier ability to make well drawn boxes. You can learn that crap from sitting in on a class, taking an elective, or watching a Feng DVD. What you want from Illustration is the entertainment track, which can always be spiced up by taking electives. Plus, talk to other people in different majors. Get thier help. Talk to teachers you don't have and get training. Most all teachers are willing to help. What you need most for entertainment is foundation courses. If you want to draw vehicles for entertainment class, don't take 4 terms of bloody car creation classes, take Scott's class and learn that way. If you want to learn to do environments, take Landscape painting class, and learn perspective back and forth for interiors. You can do anything with foundation studies. But Product and Trans are SO specialized, unless you want to design fire extinguishers or cars, explicitly for 4-8 terms, don't bother with either of them. If you want to experiment, you can always track down a teacher to get them to sign you into a class.

If anyone wishes to get more beligerent answers from me...

AIM - MaphistoButercup

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gotcha gotcha - that makes me feel better - i'll def. go for illustration then. woo... ONE THING cleared up haha.

thx again bigtime, and I added you to my aimlist if that's a'right w/ you. gotta run to class - be back t'nite.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha whats wrong with product or trans for that matter? its just a different approach with a different type of history at art center. in the end, it probably boils down to whether you want to do things that are figrative and painted or things that require more perspective and hard shape development. its really a lose/lose situation(unless you go through both programs) since most illustrators are lacking in perspective/design skills and most id people are lacking in figrative/painting skills. both skill sets are important, but it depends on what you want to be doing when you are no longer in school. thats not to say that an illustration major cant graduate with exceptional perspective skills and that an id major cant be able to draw figures from life like no ones business. ive known examples of both.

Helium- i saw in another thread you know hugo. i met him a few weeks back and saw some of his work. he's a cool guy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha whats wrong with product or trans for that matter? its just a different approach with a different type of history at art center. in the end, it probably boils down to whether you want to do things that are figrative and painted or things that require more perspective and hard shape development. its really a lose/lose situation(unless you go through both programs) since most illustrators are lacking in perspective/design skills and most id people are lacking in figrative/painting skills. both skill sets are important, but it depends on what you want to be doing when you are no longer in school. thats not to say that an illustration major cant graduate with exceptional perspective skills and that an id major cant be able to draw figures from life like no ones business. ive known examples of both.

Helium- i saw in another thread you know hugo. i met him a few weeks back and saw some of his work. small world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seb, I totally agree.. they really need an entertainment major which you learn figurative, form illustration (vehicles, props, cars, etc), interior environments, and external ones. At the moment you kinda have to pick and choose what works best, there's no prescribed route, other than "take the core entertainment classes" which David told me, which you really don't learn a lot of foundation stuff in.

Yeah, hugo and I went to Pratt together, I really didn't know him while I was there, he graduated a year after I came in, but he was always kind of a "legend!" Speaking of legend.... hehe I saw a kid the other day carrying around print outs of your work to either learn from or steal from. Congradulations, you're an inspiration

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats so embarassing. i need to go back and steal that godawful portfolio i let norm have or at least replace it with stuff thats not so bad.

if only they would create an entertainment major, but thats not going to happen anytime soon if ever. it would destroy the illustration department and suck quite a few people out of id. it would probably be one of the biggest majors at accd if that happened. personally it seems "what people want" is changing with the art of star wars books. episode one made everyone crazy about markers and spaceships and art noveau costumes and episode two made everyone go towards impressionistic color work. oh well. things will have to balance out one of these days.

geez im still embarassed thinking of people making photocopies of my work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Gerardo.... Oh! THAT Mike.. I'm a Mike too

Yeah dude, I saw them in a kid named Ryan's folder. I was like.. "That's one of them kids on Studio 222" Then I remembered I had seen some of that stuff on here... THEN went back to Studio 222 and found out your name, saw the same work and I realized the work was by you.. seb.. or Mike..

wow, that didn't sound creepy at all...

Anyway, rockin' stuff.

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Seb. When are you going to update your site?

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rofl the product vs illustration debate is funny. sounds like the perfect THUNDERDOME. ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in a rivalry... with Steve! He and I are going to fight... with knives!

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think the real rivalry at art center is between the students and the morons that won't build any more parking spots.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i updated the first post w/ what i hope is some helpful infos. mainly for the newbies. let me know if i am missing big chunks of usefulness.

Paulganguly~~!!

i really meant to reply sooner but reading your posts makes me confused. you are interested in concept art yet you want to take fine art and then architecture after that? ac's fine art (ahem, 'fine art media') is pretty wonky... like it's all installation and weird fine artsy stuff. if yer into that more power to you but everything u've said sorta goes against that.

whats your ultimate goal? again, why the architecture and fine art?

re: illustration vs id.

earlier seb called it a lose/lose situation. well, if you play your cards right it's quite win/win. in the end i dunno how much diff there would be between an illu who beefs up his id side, or an id kid who works on his figure/illu stuff. i guess it just depends on what kind of stuff u like to draw more. like easy mac over here.. he's got a thing for spaceships and stuff... but then again he's an illu .. hmm okay i have no point.

cheers!
    steve

Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 89