The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey
    Would accd allow someone to go ILLU but take common basic classes like Design 1 from PROD/TRANS departments?
    i highly doubt it, moreover, why would you want to? if you want to take the foundation classes for prod/trans, then you really ought to be a prod/trans major. don't get me wrong, it's certainly possible to take them as electives, and i was thinking about taking some product foundation classes at one (delusional) point, like model construction and development of form. but once in, it will be hard getting the 'juicy' electives in your schedule let alone foundationy stuff like that.

btw, thanks for the alum namedropping, guys. keep 'em coming, i'll edit the first post w/ the links and stuff when i get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Mac
    Oddly enough.. I don't find AC much more expensive than any other private art school I've looked at. It's about the same as Pratt, and RISD I think
    yea, i think pretty much all the private artschools (calarts,ringling,risd,ac,pratt,sva) are priced around the same insanely level. maybe give or take a few grand.

course i wouldn't be surprised if ac has the fastest RISING tuition :hmm:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol! Easy Mac..

Steve.. I think you should take the "Maybe" out of the thread name. Imo, we are TOTALLY the authority on AC :dork:

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chumps, maybe you are right and i am delusional... but

the reason i am asking is because if someone is going for being well versed in drawing mechanical stuff in addition to standard illustration - all the model making and woodshop classes that are required in ID programs seem of little value.. ILLU program is so open with its 12-15 studio unit terms.. that you can fit the foundation from those courses as well.

by the way, what JUICY electives are you talking about?

Last edited by Drunken Monkey; July 20th, 2004 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, there is a required Materials course for illustrators that will get you familiar with the tools and various processes for making things, but with the product/trans classes you just gotta do all of it super-accurately :p

I don't know if you can take the model-making stuff from the product/trans departments (glances at the Illustration Course of Study chart) but there are some model making illustration courses, but that's more sculptural I think than learning to make a perfect shelf or something, I dunno.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Taking Model Construction 1 = Materials class for illustration. Difference is that in model 1 you make a toolbox and fiberglass speedform consistently with different (at least for this term, apparently) beginning projects. That and they emphasize craftsmanship, finish and deadlines a lot more than materials, I think. Not too much design or concept thinking in the model classes, they're more like partner classes to help you complete other projects for other classes; for example, in third term product design you have solidworks, product 2 and model 3 all linked together for one project.

Most of the design 1 classes are pretty much the same, just that prod/trans get it lighter cuz we didn't have to paint swatches.

Right now it seems like illustration has the most flexible track because you can pretty much take any ID class as an elective so long as you have the room in your schedule. That and Ken left dept. chair for trans so it's kinda hairy as to what a new chair might possibly do to that program... Hope this helps someone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art center Product/Entertainment summer 96 grad here.

ACCD is bar none the best school I could have chosen for myself. We got to learn from masters such at Hogarth. Our teachers were all in the industry as well as being teachers. However, that was before some of the trade schools came about like Gnomon and Expressions. Things may be different now.

I second the opinion that ID is a better track for concept design. If you can get into the trans track, do it. Product was good but trans was harder. Get as many vis-com classes as possible. I often doubled up on vis-com and tried to drop fluff.

critical notes

Much of a good artist is how serious the artist treats the medium. Put a talented hard working person into just about any program and they will do good. Put a lazy person in any program and they will do bad.

If you are not already drawing/designing at least 4 - 12 hours every day, your not serious enough.

Networking...networking...networking... If the school does not have a good way of getting you into contact with people in the industry you wish to work in do not go there.

One of the best things about ACCD is meeting other people from ACCD.

Cheers, Hope that helps a bit.

Rob

7. The Following User Says Thank You to R Brown For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anyone going to be around art center t'morrow afternoon who won't be busy??

I'm going down there t'morrow and I didn't have enough time to book a tour...

Last edited by fae; August 6th, 2004 at 12:07 AM.

~chasing whims is not always a waste of time~

sketchjunk thread give me a MOO!!!–CATLsketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We got to learn from masters such at Hogarth.
    I had Hogarth--for anatomy or something like that. He was a crazy guy. Lots of people didn't really care for his teaching. But I liked (some of) his books and enjoyed his eccentricities.

[me: illus 89]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I applied last week and got my acceptance letter today!!! I'll be entering as an Illustration student in September! Goodbye USC, hello Art Center!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fresh meat... muahah!

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    congrats -
    i'll be applying sometime soon - and since i'm back on the east coast, i'll take a road trip down to visit Ringling and then make decisions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all, I'm still a newbie here, and I have to say that this thread in particular has been really informative, moreso than the school's website has been as far as FAQ go.

I found out, since my interest in concept art began some 4 or so years ago that my favorite artists all seem to have come out of AC. I found Yanick Dusseault's, Khang Le's, as well as Feng Zhu's websites in my own research, and upon stydying their work, found out only after I was already sold as a fan of their's that they had attended AC. Which as you can well imagine, made me want to attend AC all the more.

As far as my experience with art goes, I can only assume that I'm perhaps a bit more serious than some of the new students entering as freshmen out of high school because I've already been in college for a year, and have already re-re-evaluated what I want to do with my life, and come once again back to fine arts. Now I know that a BFA at AC may be a little more design oriented than other schools, but I ultimately want to pursue a master's degree in architecture, and as a result, a fine arts degree, rooted in design would be the way I wanted to go. I also know that should I choose not to be an architect, my opportunities coming out of AC would be greater than they would with a BFA from a state university where I'm from (Upstate NY), specifically in the entertainment field (concept art)

I do however have a couple more questions that haven't been brought up yet:

1.) What's the typical turnaround between applying and notification of acceptance?

2.) We've already established that Life Drawing is key to a strong portfolio. What other themes or media would help to really set yourself apart from the other applicants and more or less guarantee accceptance, if such a thing is even possible?

3.) Have any of you who attended/currently attend transfer from your previous school mid-year? meaning, for the spring semester at AC. What, if at all is the likelihood of acceptance for the January '05 semester, when one will apply in September?

4.) For those who have transferred mid year or otherwise, what is the likelihood of recieving advanced academic standing for similar curriculum already completed at another school? Does this depend at all on the applicant's portfolio?

5.) I'm into realism. Has the fine arts progam expressly forbade this archaic practice as so many other schools seem to have done? (sacrasm, obviously, but I think you get what I'm saying) If I'm into realism, is there a place for me in fine arts, or should I pursue Illustration outright?

Anyway, if any of you AC'er's could give a little insight it'd be much appreciated. If all goes according to my plan, I may get to meet some of you in January.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been way too long since I was there, but some things may still hold true.

When I was there it was actually common for students to have completed an entire college degree before going to Art Center.

Often very little other than the academic requirement courses were counted by ACCD. Maybe you could skip an Art History class or two if you already had a BFA in Art History, for instance! Almost no studio classes taken at other schools seemed to count... Most people had to do the entire course, no matter how much schooling they'd had before.

Fall terms seemed to be when most people wanted to apply and start. I'd heard it was easier to get in during the other terms.

Fine Arts is still Fine Arts. I think Illustration tends to cover more figurative and realistic stuff... but who knows? When I was there FA was a fairly small dept. I'm not sure I'd go to ACCD for FA when it's taught at so many other places, but it's up to you. It seemed to be a good dept with good students in it.

Me: ILLU 89

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweetness! just found this thread, it is good stuff i have just read through it. Ok so i am going into the illsutration program 1st term and i am really looking forward to it. now i have a question about something i read... someone mentioned about depending on how fast you want to graduate and how much you want to improve... ok so my question is what would you experienced students and artist say is a better way to improve, with in the scope of Art Centers curriculum (sp?) 8 terms straight, taking your time or somehting else...? i just want to become the best i can and get as much as i can since this is all coming out of my own pocket, ya know.

Also i think we should make an Art Center group to share work, crit each other and talk about stuff that is going on... what do you guys/gals think?

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your feedback April
    Originallly posted by April
    Almost no studio classes taken at other schools seemed to count... Most people had to do the entire course, no matter how much schooling they'd had before.
    That part kind of scared me, however in my research, it doesn't appear to be too uncommon a practice among colleges, major notwithstanding. I know most schools in the northeast will transfer a maximum of 60 credits (4 terms +/-) so as to prevent students from more or less completling a major at a less prestigious school and then transferring to one with a well known name to finish their major and collect the diploma with the good name on it. The extreme of this seems to be the case at many art schools. If you're an AC art student for example, you're an AC student ONLY. Portfolio work should be the test, however I know there's now way to really test out of an art course. A studio course is more about growth than slaying one dragon of a final exam at the end of the semester, and ensuring your grade.

I've come to terms with the fact that the school I'm currently enrolled in doesn't really command any respect among art colleges, and so their coursework will be difficult to transfer anywhere within the state university of NY system, let alone a school on the west coast. Furthermore, the longer I stay there, the farther back I'm placing myself when the opportunity arises to transfer. I'll have to make up for 2 years of lost time, as opposed to 1, which isn't quite so insurmountable a task, within a reasonable period of 3 years.

As to your question of why AC for fine arts, when it's taught so many other places, there are really 2 answers.

The first is that I want to ultimately become an architect. In becoming an architect however, I would like also to have the ability to further my fine art skills as well. AC is a foremost a design school, which will aid trmendously in my pursuit of a career in architecture, but also allow me to further my overall skills in the fine arts. I see it as more or less a fine arts degree, with a 'built in' double major in design.

The second reason is simple but cheesy sounding. AC's undeniably one fo the best art schools in the country. When a student is surrounded by absolute equals, he has to challenge himself to stand out from the crowd all the more. There is no such drive at my current school, and there seems to be a relative lack of motivation at other nearby art schools here as well. There is no standard of excellence set by other students. There is only a general understanding that no one student has the right to harshly critique another's work on the basis that there is no set skill level of either realism or otherwise artistic ingenuity whereby to rank work of noticibly poorer quality, or that made with a poorer sense of craftsmanship, because there is no set standard of excellence.

I want to be at AC because I believe that I will be challenged to create something better everyday that I'm there.

I'm still going to apply, and trust that my past year of schooling has not been in vain. Anyway though, if any more recent students can tell me that this mood has changed from what April described, I'm going to take this as one stuation where I should hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeh i want to transfer spring semester too - and how late is too late to apply? do i mail in the portfolio with my application? and yeh, i want to try to transfer some core credits etc too. also yeh tips on WHAT would be good for the portfolio would be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i have the same deal with my studio classes not transfering over... i have liberal arts tho...

Fae - Ok so fae i will tell you what i have in my portfolio... 4 finished figure drawings, 4 gestures, 4 still life drawings, 2 personal illustrations/coneptual art, 2 paintings and the on eof my complete sketchbooks that i did anatomical studies in. this work i included was the best i had ever done, and i don't mean the best work that i feel i like is the best, but instead show everything i have learned. for the personal illustrations they were what i liked and the sketchbook was to show that i work on my own time too.

if i had my portfolio with me i would post the images for you but since i just moved to CA wasn't able to bring it

how many figure drawing classes have you taken?

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For those of you who want the tech skills like feng but the paint.figurative skills as well, major in product design and minor in illustration, a good example of this is ari bilow who graduated not to long ago, look him up, hes amazing.

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p.s. i can understand going to schools to be pushed hard, but it isnt really necissary to go to a school that expensive to become an awesome artist, their are plenty of self taught people around. ALthough art center would be my dream school for the enviroment, all u are paying for really is someone to push u to get good in a certain amount of time and tips and tricks which can all be learned through the net these days. some good examples of self taught people would be hawkprey, spinefinger, one of the guys that did matte paintings for lord of the rings, i robot eminem, etc. list goes on, his name is dylan something., but u get the idea.

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so here's the thing:

gasmask: that's one thing i've been rolling through my head for forever now --- is it really worth going into crazy debt for? I know the name helps, but I mean take all that away, the education and what i can get - is it worth the money and all the other stuff tied to it?

oh and also - what about majoring in illustration and minoring in product design? Oh, and having talked to someone at the school - he said they do this merged major thing--- or do they have separate major/minor, or double major, etc?

j.mac: thx for sharing! here's my problem: I haven't taken too many art classes yet, so I have a few good still life's I can use that I did this part year, then I took a 3d Design class. I'm HOPING to take Drawing II this semester (if I can get into it - that's another story) but I can't guarantee I will - if I do, then I'm pretty sure I'll get some figure drawings to add to my portfolio. So pretty much, I feel very narrow in what I have so far, and I need to hurry and get things together so I can apply and do all that stuff. Also, how did you present your stuff? Do I have to mat or frame anything or whatever? Sorry - new to this =P

I need to visit Ringling ASAP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fine arts-wise, I think Art Center is more about concept and "rethinking art." If you want to go into architecture, maybe think about Environmental Design as your major, but I'd ask a counselor.

Art Center has constantly rolling admission, so there's no deadline. If you applied to close to the semester you wanted to get in to, they'd probably just bump you to the next semester, which is my best guess.

Last edited by makotierra; August 16th, 2004 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah... afaik, you can apply any time and you'll start the next session/semester. Fall is traditionally the busiest, so sometimes it's better trying to get in winter/spring or summer.

Take your time, get a portfolio together. Try taking some basic classes at a local college with a decent art dept--to get some Life Drawing, for instance, if you're thinking of Illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my goal is to get into drawing II this semester so I can get some lifedrawing done - sadly, I don't know what the possibility of getting in is, right now... much begging with the art people at the school will soon follow...

i have some stilllifes that are fairly strong from last year that I can use...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Housing at AC

Well, I've been trying to figure this out for a while now and have yet to come to any good conclusion. I'm dying to attend AC, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to afford to live there. Housing in that area is as much per month for a 1 bedroom apt, as a 3 bedroom house where I live now....I can't afford either one. Any advice? Are there housing grant or anything available?

-David

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it depends on where you live. in pasadena is expensive, but if you get farther away, it's not as bad. or you can rent out a room in someone's house or take on roomates. paying for tuition is what you really want to worry about

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard of full rides being given out to some students...does that happen often, anyone know? I'm sure I can get at least a few scholarships and make up the rest in government aid...but I won't know for sure till I hear from AC.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What can I expect in terms of schedule? What times are most classes? Morning? Night? Both? I'll be a 1st year Illustration student...

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Katsushiro - You've heard of full rides being given? I'd certainly like to see the info on that! Scholarships seem to be few and far between at AC, and are most often given according to need, or so I've heard recently. However the hipocracy oozes around scholarship time, as the most mundane hack crap will get preference over very solid work. But I'm not bitter...

About housing, I live in a 1 bedroom for $925/month, in Eagle Rock which is 15 minutes away. Its a great place and its super close. Call AC and get the housing list from the enrollment office. Also, look on Occidental College's website, thats where I found my appartment, and it wasnt listed on the AC list.

Mazzic - You will get any number of times depending on where they would like to stick you, and whether or not you have advanced standing. My first term I had no classes before 1pm, one class every day.. it was nice. Your schedule is not static, and will most likely be changed by you according to what you want to take at what time, and if you like the particular teacher. Class times however range from 8am-1pm (morning) 2pm-7pm (afternoon) and 7pm-10.. I think (evening).

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey is anyone looking for housing? i really want to find a couple of guys and rent a bigger house to live in. having other people living with you helps you gain more inputs and you can learn from others too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

one more question

Ok, I appreciate all of the replies, you all have been a lot of help. I have one more question...As I've been looking through the course descriptions I've noticed that there aren't any of the standard "art" classes (ie. drawing 1, color theory, etc..) are they simply classes that aren't offered...is it something I need to have or should take at another school first? I'm kinda put back a little by the fact that they say 95% of the students have practically completed a degree at another school...I've only taken crap classes at a community college...it that a problem?

way too much to think about

Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 89