The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 28

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spider2544
    Chumps: i think we were in the Loving ugly TDS togheter, i remeber you drawing that flying robot guy in your sketchbook in class haha.
    Lol, I should have been taking notes instead of doing those stupid dynamic sketching pages. Now I know better.

What work did you for the class?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am getting ready start AC Illustration program, and I was just curious as to what everyone who has graduated is doing now.

i.e. are you working for yourself or a big/small company?

did you start working right away / how easy was it to find work right out of AC?

did the college help you find work?

Forgive my ignorance please, just curious if there are any alumni who want to weigh in on life after AC.

One time Micheal Jackson came to my house to look at my sketchbook.....
    my sketchbook

check out my blog

where I work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Center or Art Center by Night

I'm trying to decide whether to keep my full-time job and take an ACCD by night class every quarter, or to go to Art Center full-time. The reason why I'm leaning toward full-time school is because I feel like I want to be in an immersive learning environment, and really give it my all. I've taken night classes before, and it's pretty tiring to be in class after 9-10 hours of corporate work. I've always been a dozer by nature, and no matter how much I love drawing...I'll doze off. However, I'm still considering ACCD by night because I'd be in ALOT less debt at the end of it all. I know my growth would be much slower, but I guess it's the price I'd have to pay for not being in the red. Any opinions? Plus, I don't even know if I have enough money to graduate....I want to go back to school SO bad though. I need to learn and practice a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm goin to ACCD 2007 spring for Graphic design major and I feel so nervous about what is going to happen when I become a student there..I have so many questions but I don't know anyone there... I wish someone here can help me out with my questions...(o'-'o) thx!

1. I wonder if the sko have a individule studio for graphic design major ,, or do
    I need to rent a larger housing place to get my work done?

2. is it actually harder to get the scholarship after first term in ACCD?

3. I bought an Epson 1280 printer about 4 months ago and I found out there're many ppl whose trying to sell their Epson 1280 printer at ACCD..
    is it like a really "old" one for art center student?

4. how many profolio bag does a GD student need? can you submit a portfolio that has already been review by ACCD from the previous term?

5. how many classes will be the best fitting for a first term student?

6. is it hard to get at least B in the class?

7. are teacher there cares about the students? or they enjoy to knock down the students?

8. what happens if you get cold in ACCD? do I need to get a flu shot just in case it'll kills my grade?

9. what kind of job will be the best work-study job?
    - TA? or helping teacher for the special projects?
    - easy but non-related major job such as pasadena public library?

right now is about 3:30 am..maybe some of the questions are weird ^^" but thx for reading anyway!!!!!!

Karen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow this thread has grown so much since the last time i posted.

anyways let me help out once in a while.

reply to karen's post:

1. As far as i know there are no individual studios at school except for grad students. However, the school's open 24/7, including the labs so you are free to work there anytime.

2. Yes, it is harder to get scholarship after first term. but there's always a chance if you're good enough in the judges' (instructors & department chairs) eyes

3. 1280 is just fine. Epson is what everyone at school uses but from what i heard the Canon i9900 actually does a equally if not better job than the epson printers. I don't think you need to update your printer for a while, there's not much of a difference between the 1800 and the 1280 besides the archival inks.

4. You only need one portfolio. Just update your works and take out older ones that you don't like when you re submit.

5. This question depends on how hard you're willing to work. I'm sure there are a bunch of students from ACCD on this forum took the hardest 6 classes during their first term. but generally people take 5. You're paying the money for 6 classes anyways, just try 6 and if you cant take it you can always drop it later on.

6. That depends on the teacher. but grades aren't what matters after all. it's your work and effort that counts.

7. Teachers do care, at least most of them do. Some teachers care by putting down students (Roland) hahah, i guess different people have different ways of showing affection.

8. you go to class? generally it's not a good thing to get sick in school you just need to learn to take care of your school.

9. I wouldn't suggest you working unless you're in some kind of a financial hardship. schoolwork is hard enough as is, having a job on the side is just having more extra work that you don't really need. Focus more on your studies and im sure you'll earn that money back once you start working after college.

having said that... good luck! art center's a great place to learn if you're willing to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Karen,

xHunterx pretty much covered all your questions

I have a few things to add:
    Question 5. You will get your schedule on the new student orientation day.
    For GD it will be most likely be:
    1.Communication Design 1 (Roland Young is a tough teacher, but he will get you in the right art center mode so to speak)
    2.Design 1
    3.Type 1 or Comm. Sketch
    4.Digital Design 1 or 2 if you took a computer skills tests and passed
    5.Draw and Aim 1 (1 unit class to practice drawing and stuff)
    6.History of Principles of Vis Comm. 1
    7.English (or another academic class you haven't been credited for)

1-5 are studio classes but 6 and 7 are academic classes
    Also they may or may not give you that many classes (probably 6). If you feel overwhelmed drop an academic class rather then a studio class.

When you do get your schedule try to avoid if you can 8am -10pm days. Sometimes they will stack 3 classes in one day and it will hurt.

Look at the descriptions online and make sure you come to class with any of the materials you think you might need. (you can store them in your car or your locker) First day of class they hand you a supply list and if there is something on it that you need that day, you will HAVE to buy it at the store if you don't have it with you. Just make sure to bring money so you can buy stuff just in case.

Here is a link to the campus web
    It has the schedule of classes and the descriptions.

If you live near by go to this term's grad show.

Make sure you got the right room number and campus. Bring your map and check on the door to make sure it is your classroom before opening a closed door.

Last tip get to class early (especially first day) sometimes there are room changes, parking issues, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey the Noob is back again with another question!

I am trying to work out all my funding and get some sort of budget for myself set in stone. On the paperwork from AC they estimated spending around $5100 on supplies for two semesters

$5,100 for two semesters of supplies?!

Is that close at all to what you guys have spent or does that seem to be the starter cost of supplies

Illustration Major.

Oh yeah... and I'm still looking for a place to live, if anyone else is looking as well we might save eachother some time. Hit me up with a pm.

Thanks in advance

my sketchbook

check out my blog

where I work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tim C.-
    That estimate is a bit high. I guess if you have no supplies at all it would be accurate. I would guesstimate maybe I spent around 2000 for 2 semesters. You have to buy some expensive gouache, special brushes, books, and other stuff. No more student grade paint.
    It adds up. I guess plan on 3000$.
    If you need a new computer you can wait on that. They lab is okay for the first computer class but later on if you go into entertainment a laptop is pretty handy.
    As for a place to live try the student services at art center. Sometimes they have some good rates and can hook you up with a roommate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone going to the Insominia workshop?
    Let me know I think I'm going!

-Steve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Tim C.-
    That estimate is a bit high. I guess if you have no supplies at all it would be accurate. I would guesstimate maybe I spent around 2000 for 2 semesters. You have to buy some expensive gouache, special brushes, books, and other stuff. No more student grade paint.
    It adds up. I guess plan on 3000$.
    If you need a new computer you can wait on that. They lab is okay for the first computer class but later on if you go into entertainment a laptop is pretty handy.
    As for a place to live try the student services at art center. Sometimes they have some good rates and can hook you up with a roommate.
    Jeebuz! at least 3k for supplies? i guess i have most of the stuff... but then I dont have any good oils n gouaches. 3k is what's left in my bank acct.. i hope i can live thru this...

I have another question, if one only has 2 sems of scholarship, do a good percentage of the people get more scholarships on their 3rd term? coz i dont think i want to do 2 sems n then, on the 3rd sem not receive any aid...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    T-lapia-

Did you get a scholarship when you applied? If so Congratulations.
    There are some art center scholarships that are only good for 2 semesters and some that last until you graduate (except on academic terms).
    You can apply to the term scholarships every term but you compete with everyone who applies that is in your major. Some teachers do take in account what term you are so don't worry. There are other non-art center scholarships that you can apply to as well. The financial aid office has information on that.

If you are worried about not having aid on your 3rd term apply 1st and 2cd term for scholarship. If you are an illustration major the scholarship competition should be on a Thursday (?) of the 12th week of school (unless they changed it). Even if you get it one time you can apply again, and again. Plan ahead.

Don't worry, you will make it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Hi~ xHunterx and Felicia,

thanks so much for the replied!!!!

the information from you guys are awsome!!
    \(' T ')/ ~* so helpful~*~*

there is one thing i didn't get it from Felicia, quote from your post "When you do get your schedule try to avoid if you can 8am -10pm days." is it means the class schedule in ACCD is fixed and we can determine which section is better for us?

btw, I recieved a package with orientation info, but i still have no idea about if GD major needs to take computer test on the orientation day?

I attached the letter from ACCD below.. it says " graphic design student do not take digital design so should not take the waiver test" but what about photoshop test? O..O Im confusing~anyone got a clue about this?

btw this website is wonderful ~ TvT and you guys are my new art center friends yay~ thanks again for helping me!

p.s. to Timo C. regarding to housing,
    I used the website : http://losangeles.craigslist.org/
    and I asked artcenter housing assistent to send out the housing list for me every week. you can asked ACCD to send you one. their email address: housing <housing@Artcenter.edu>

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ailunchiu,

It is no Problem.

You will get your schedule in orientation (couple days before the semester starts). You can change your schedule when the semester starts. The add and drop stuff is pretty much like other colleges.
    But you shouldn't worry about doing drastic changes until later terms.
    Look on campus web for the class descriptions and the schedule. You can see if some classes are full or have spaces left. Don't worry about this stuff too much your first term. You will not be able to take electives yet so you can't add "fun" classes.

Talk to as many upper term students in your major as possible. Not just for social reasons, ask about different teachers and classes.

Graphic design majors not having to take digital design 1 is news to me (but I am an Illustrator). That class just goes over Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark (maybe InDesign now). I copied that schedule from what art center lists as the graphic design schedule but who knows. The computer test is just to make sure you have a basic understanding of those programs so if you pass you can have digital design 1 waived. If you would rather just take the class don't worry.

If you have any questions that you are really concerned with call up Art Center and ask them. They will have more up to date answers for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the info Felicia! I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the detail info, Felicia~*
    I was considering about should I attend to the freshmen's first day orientation's party and your reply answered my question, wow, really thanks a lot! I will try to get to know some new buddies and collect info about the teachers and classes.
    btw I'll be going to the grad show on this fri,yay ~
    does anyone knows about the location for the grad show?
    is it going to be on the main campus (lida st.) or the other campus?

~ o' T'o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was wondering if it's a good idea to pass that digital design test? what class will i get instead? i hear it is an easy class to boost your GPA but i dont want to waste time either

thanks

ps karen did u get my pm? ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just want to add my 2 cents

This thread has been an amazing help - big thanks to everyone who has answered any of my question directly and thanks to all the previous posters who have answered the questions I didn't know I had.

Can’t wait to start at AC

my sketchbook

check out my blog

where I work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sux0rz-
    If you know the programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, and Quark) pretty well you will be bored in that class. Take the test and then you can take a more advance computer class. At the time I wasn't that familiar with the programs so I took the class. It isn't hard class.

I am not sure what class you get instead. Maybe Digital Design 2??

Don't worry about GPA unless it effects your Financial aid. Pass you classes with a C or better and you will be fine. GPA is irrelevant in the art job land. Graduating with Honers is nice (family-wise) but it didn't get me any special treatment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sup my online ACCD buddies ~*u*
    i called art center today and asked them if GD major needs to take the digital design test, and the GD dept ppl said ALL students are required to take it including with GD major student.. no matter if GD student needs to take it or not, i think the class should be helpful.. but if I failed that test as a GD student, I think i'll be so shame ~ (o..o) I'll dig my head to the sand like camel does..
    as a GD student, i still suck at illustrator... i better study now
    thx for you guys here to helps me out !
    /(' v ')/ thx a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what student loans are u guys getting? what private loans are good? I still havnt done the loans yet.

oh and i guess ill be seeing all u guys at the orientation!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by T-lapia
    what student loans are u guys getting? what private loans are good? I still havnt done the loans yet.

oh and i guess ill be seeing all u guys at the orientation!
    I'm getting a bunch of private loans from Citibank because I couldn't get much from the government. I've done some research and applied for a few lenders, and I found that Citibank seemed to give the best rates. Education Finance Partners wanted an origination fee, and their rate was a bit higher (it is based on the LIBOR 3-month index). The way you come up with the interest rate from them is to add the current LIBOR (around 5.25%) to the spread that they give you. Chase also wanted an origination fee, and the rate was higher. Citibank seemed like the best choice, so I went for it. It's been a huge test of faith to actually go through with taking out this much! I just have to keep reminding myself of how much I hate being in a cubicle. Private loans are ridiculous...but it's the only way for me. Oh well....a lifetime in debt, but doing what you love...is much better than doing what I hate and having to buy things to ease the pain! Haha....jk.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi my names Jeremy, I just finished my first term as a Ill major at ACCD. So far so good; next term is gonna be a motherfucker though, I can't wait.pld:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finally found a place to live and i'm all moved in.... Now I am just crossing my fingers waiting for the school to approve my loan. Seems like I have got a little less than a week to wait until orientation.

Does anyone know of any open figure drawing sessions, at the school or nearby?

I'd love to get in some live figures before school starts.

my sketchbook

check out my blog

where I work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Scholarships

I noticed that there are a lot more students in the illustration program than the others. Do you think they allocate a proportionate amount of scholarship funds to the illustration program?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Timo C.- There is a figure drawing workshop on Thursdays in Glendale run by Bob Kato:
    The Drawing Club

I would also recommend drawing animals at the LA Zoo, and/ or people at a busy area(like a mall or starbucks) for good practice.

gunnz- I think they do at the have more money to give at the general level based on the amount of students (Art Center scholarships).
    But some scholarships are for specific majors so it is hard to say how it balances out. I would ask Financial aid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh god oh god i am THROWING UP WITH EXCITEMENT

please tell me what you know about these classes/teachers:

FND*A/015*03 DRAWING CONCEPTS 1 3.0 M 08:00am-01:00pm ACCD 0110 Strickland, M
    FND*A/099*03 COMPOSITION AND DRAWING 3.0 T 02:00pm-07:00pm ACCD 0101 Weston I
    FND*A/012-A*05 DES 1 (GPK/ADT/ILL) 3.0 W 08:00am-01:00pm
    W 08:00am-01:00pm ACCD 0204
    ACCD 0141 Mitchell, C
    Mitchell, C
    CGR*C/055*04 DIGITAL DESIGN 1 3.0 TH 03:30pm-06:30pm ACCD 0145 Sorenson, D

can someone explain why strickland is considered "bad"?
    will I have room to add another class?
    will i go insane with work?
    is there anything i should change?
    VOMITVOMITVOMIT

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nicholas,

Strickland isnt considered bad. but his teachings are far from beginner level, i wouldn't actually recommend taking classes from him until the later terms when your foundation is set.

As far as your other classes are, they look alright to me.
    Weston is a very knowledgable teacher, but you have to go to him in person if you want to get the most out of his class.
    Carol Mitchell's design 1 class is very very easy... but not very helpful. if you want to get your money's worth outta a design 1 class, go for claypool.

Try to take the waiver test for digital design 1 if you know your photoshop and illustrator already. and try to sub it with another class that is better towards your goal.

you can add up to 18 credits every term... that is usually about 6 studio classes. Personally I took 6 for most of my terms at school but it is really up to you to gauge how much you can handle.

The illustration program isnt the same now as it was a couple years back. Believe it or not the first termers actually have a much easier cirriculum than before. With proper time management i think your schedule is more than managable

good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ditto on what xHunterx said.

I would say add another class at least.
    Maybe History of Illustration or Intro to Modernism (required academic classes).
    Or a studio class like Perspective (with Gary Meyer), or Head and Hands (Lorrie Madden).

They changed some of the names around so I am not sure what else to recommend.

Drawing concepts use to be a class you took later on, but they may have changed the names around.

I didn't have any classes with Strickland but I have heard some other female students not liking him. Nothing serious. Jeff Smith and Aaron Smith (not related) also teach that class and they are both good teachers.

You will be fine, don't stress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

8 terms

Would it be totally impossible to graduate in less than 8 terms? I have about 18 units of liberal arts transfer credit...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They don't take them.
    When I transferred I had 56 credits and they took like 8 of them.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 32