Page 28 of 155 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Thanks
    hi, i am planning to go to AC, but then i am a lil confused as to w/c major to take. i want something that covers a lot of the bases that i am really interested in like, concept art, graphic design and 3d? can anyone kinda point me in the right direction...??

my portfoilio that i am gonna show mostly consists of some graphic design, some freehand illus using PS, and a lil packaging design. if anyone can help me out it would be really great, its kinda hard to wade through all 7 pgs here.. but i am kinda leaning towards illustration or GD..

if anyone wants to see some of my work..
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/abeworks/

also... since i am working as a graphic designer and i get paid pretty decent for someone without a degree, i dont want to give up working yet and go to school full time.. is it a good idea to go to school at night? or are there no degree classes at night??
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-lapia
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/abeworks/

also... since i am working as a graphic designer and i get paid pretty decent for someone without a degree, i dont want to give up working yet and go to school full time.. is it a good idea to go to school at night? or are there no degree classes at night??
    I feel like you're more of an illu person instead of graphic design, because I don't see a lot of information graphics or type work. Do you do any motion graphics/web design at work?? How is your life drawing background?

I'm not sure if it will be an issue of you finding night classes (most of them are more of an afternoon block) but more of a question of how you'll balance the workload.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-lapia
    major is easy. illustration if you want to draw with a stick. graphic design if you want to make brochures for pharmeceutical companies. trans if you like cars and little else. product if you like ipods and mac mini's. photography if your index finger needs a workout. film if you can't do any of the above. advertising if you're a . environment if you are really, really confused. and fine art if... well i won't go there.

looking at your work, illustration looks like a no brainer. you can incorporate a lot of design in contemporary illustration/art. hell half the shit that comes out today is design driven/oriented.

as for working while going to school. fine for night classes. potentially disastrous if you are going to school full time. it's kind of a paradox, on one hand you want to make money and pay for the damn thing, on the other you want to maxmize time and energy spent on school cause it costs so much in the first place! there was a star trek episode about this once i suggest you look it up.

cheers!
    steeeeeeeeeve

Thanks
    Thought I'd chime in, and say 'ello to all the other artcenter people.

I go there... errr.. I took last term off. But I am comming back for term 5, which is frightening. I recognize some of your names, but some of you I don't know. Or perhaps I know you, I just didn't know you were on CA. Anyhoo, this seems like a good thread with alot of good information.

-J
    `What sort of people live about here?' asked Alice.

`In that direction,' the Cat said, waving its right paw round, `lives a Hatter: and in that direction,' waving the other paw, `lives a March Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad.'

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chumps
    major is easy. illustration if you want to draw with a stick. graphic design if you want to make brochures for pharmeceutical companies. trans if you like cars and little else. product if you like ipods and mac mini's. photography if your index finger needs a workout. film if you can't do any of the above. advertising if you're a . environment if you are really, really confused. and fine art if... well i won't go there.

This is hilarious.Especially advertisiment part.

Anyway, what you said about going to AC full-time really worried me.I plan to get a part-time job when I start but do you guys really think it's pretty impossible to keep them both up?I dont want my grades to suffer because of my part-time work...maybe I should look up that star trek episode...

Thanks
    Star Trek has so much wisdom.. it's the bible of my life!

Oh, and Steve Kim is also full of wisdom. Wisdom and levity.. and a great butt, a true sage of our time!

Yeah the whole part time job thing might be a problem. If you're going to have one you probably at least need to do the bare minimum in terms of class load. You'll be really surprised as to how much time you devote to homework even if you have a light load.. Art Center guilts you into feeling you should be doing work during every available moment.. it's like a long, monolith-on-its-side, overbearing spouse. Honestly, if you'd like to pick up cash you should look into working on campus, really its one of the only feasible ways.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium Macaroni
    Oh, and Steve Kim is also full of wisdom. Wisdom and levity.. and a great butt, a true sage of our time!
    i agree with this excellent assessment.

Thanks
    ASSessment, get it... "great butt"... ass....

my god...

Thanks
    hmm...On campus jobs eh?Sounds good and reasonable, I should look into that.Thanks man.
    The bad thing is, I want to use Art Center's every opportunity to improve myself and I'm afraid of overburning (and becoming broke).Anyway I still have time to put together a nice workin schedule for myself.

By the way does the Digital Painting night course still goes on?I remember reading somewhere about it, I hope it still goes on so I can finally get some serious help on my painter skills.

Thanks
    Do we need better cutting boards? Someone asked for a 24 hour copy center, but when I used to show up there in the mornings for Admissions, it would be practically empty.

Does anyone have any comments about staff attitude ("unfavorable")? I've heard a couple of complaints about employees at the Financial Aid office.

Thanks
    Effers!

I don't remember how I got on the student announcement list in the first place, but with this new spate of spams, I want out!

I've e-mailed copies of almost all the junk mail to the director of internal communications, director of network services, help desk, and the listadmin.

Thanks
    How'd everyone first day of school go?

Does the term look good for ya'll?
    `What sort of people live about here?' asked Alice.

`In that direction,' the Cat said, waving its right paw round, `lives a Hatter: and in that direction,' waving the other paw, `lives a March Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad.'

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jucas
    How'd everyone first day of school go?

Does the term look good for ya'll?

2 classes down, 4 more to go. I still can't tell which to drop.

Page 28 of 155 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 78 128 ... LastLast