Page 27 of 155 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg!

Thanks
    thanks ink, ill be coming down there the 24th for the open house, i wish i would have known that sooner that would have been great to come in and see everyones work. will all that stuff be up at open house do you think?

-ben
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Most likely, no. The end of the term is nigh and all that will be taken down before it ends. However you'll get to see "the cream of the crop" in the gallery. I use quotes because quite honestly some of that stuff is real shite. I don't know how certain things in that gallery even get considered. The galleries however have thier on years and thier off years. When I was looking around scouting the school, the gallery was very impressive, then when I was in first term it was kinda crummy, then the next term it was again impressive.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Hi all,

I just got accepted to Illustration program for Fall 2005.I've read many posts indicating that AC is a great choice for illustration, so I got no doubts about the education.But I was wondering what do you guys think about the social life in AC?

And for others who are thinking of attending AC and thinking about housing, roommates etc... Drop me a line, maybe we can work something out.

Thanks
    Hehe.. what social life?

There's no denying it, Art Center is not your typical college experience. There is much less of a social scene than most other schools, less of a cohesive student body, less time to really have a life outside the school. This is due to many factors. First there's no dorms so there's less of a bonding atmosphere, the school is not very centrally located admidst a town or an accessible area, and the work load tends to be a bit intense.

If you are coming in from High School you may be dissapointed due to the lack of extra-cirrucular partying and whatnot, and If you're coming in from another college you'll be surprised just how stiff the atmosphere is compared to other schools. None the less its a great experience. You're going to work hard and thats great. Regardless of the work load, commuting, and isolation, you will still have time to make friends, go have a drink, see a movie and do fun stuff. You'd be surprised at how many social things you can do while sketching or working on assignments.

My advice is to just manage time well and keep from getting too isolated. If you manage your time decently you can have a healthy social life and still get all your work done. I have been lucky enough to have been able accomodate a good time out about once every weekend while I'm in term. You may find less time as the term reaches its conclusion, but that's understandable. I've always had time to usually keep friday or saturday free to hit the town. Friends I know usually have a big party at the beginning of the term and then one at the end. In between we usually have time to go Karaokeing, get sushi, or do other things. I have friends who live further out East and I find I usually have plenty of time to hang out with them on a regular basis.

You won't find Art Center as much of a good time as another school in terms of social life, but you will regardless have one anyway. You'll need one to keep sane. Even if there's no huge abundance of outside activity, you'll have an opportunity to get one of the best educations in the world. It's a pretty decent trade-off.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you coming in. Congrats on getting accepted
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Not that I'm a party boy, I was just wondering how life goes on over there.Thanks to your reply, I've got a pretty good idea now.It's all clear now, I just can't wait to get started at Art Center.

Thanks
    i dunno what mike is talking about. i'm constantly surrounded by crazy partygoers and ppl going to keggers and ragers and all that. all i need to say is 'i'm go to artcenter' and the women come a flockin'. i usually have an elimidate-esque session to pick the woman worthy of clinging onto my arm.

btw, much to my surprise, artcenter updated my schedule on campusweb. i thought i'd have to pick it up in person cause i'm a re-admit (FAILURE) student. i'm wondering which of these classes is the most time consuming, cause i'd like to postpone one and ease myself back into student life.

i know materials is time consuming, but i've also heard horrific tales from letterform. which needs to go?! help me as i've helped you!

here's my schedule:

FND*A/010-A*03 ANALYSIS OF FORM 3.0 M 08:00am-01:00pm ACCD 0101 Strickland, M
    FND*A/019*01 MAT OF ART AND DES 3.0 M 02:00pm-07:00pm ACCD 0229 Castella, K Kaufman, S
    ACA*F/142*01 HISTORY OF ILLUSTRATION 3.0 T 04:00pm-07:00pm ACCD LAT Luce, D
    FND*A/044*02 COLOR THEORY 3.0 W 08:00am-01:00pm ACCD 0207 Keyes, R
    ILL*A/031*02 CONT.FIGURATIVE PTG 3.0 TH 02:00pm-07:00pm ACCD 0104 Smith, A
    FND*A/022*03 FORM & LETTERFORM 3.0 F 08:00am-01:00pm F 09:00am-12:00pm ACCD A5 ACCD 0145 Bass, A

Thanks
    hey steve i thought you took analysis 2 terms ago?

Thanks
    ..steve took a lot of classes 2 terms ago. Doesn't mean he passed them

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    omg sticks and stones!

Thanks
    I still love you steve! You know it! And like I should talk.. if WoW had come out a 2 weeks earlier during the last term I was in, I'd have failed everything.

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chumps
    here's my schedule:
    FND*A/010-A*03 ANALYSIS OF FORM 3.0 M 08:00am-01:00pm ACCD 0101 Strickland, M
    FND*A/019*01 MAT OF ART AND DES 3.0 M 02:00pm-07:00pm ACCD 0229 Castella, K Kaufman, S
    ACA*F/142*01 HISTORY OF ILLUSTRATION 3.0 T 04:00pm-07:00pm ACCD LAT Luce, D
    FND*A/044*02 COLOR THEORY 3.0 W 08:00am-01:00pm ACCD 0207 Keyes, R
    ILL*A/031*02 CONT.FIGURATIVE PTG 3.0 TH 02:00pm-07:00pm ACCD 0104 Smith, A
    FND*A/022*03 FORM & LETTERFORM 3.0 F 08:00am-01:00pm F 09:00am-12:00pm ACCD A5 ACCD 0145 Bass, A
    Damn, we can't even carpool. Almost had color theory together. I guess I won't see you around at all. I was talking to Kaufman before finals and he told me to charge at a canvas with a paintbrush while naked... Knowing you, I say get rid of Letterform because its in the morning.

Thanks
    The social life at AC is pretty high if you ask me. I knew people that were going to bars, golfing and freakin road trips. Did they do as well as they could have? Who knows.

But the social life at AC is freakin awesome. At least for our term since everyone feels so easy going. Few days out of the week I would camp out in one of the room with trans and product guys just doing sketching (picked up some good techniques and tips). Doubt I contributed anything to them since I’m such a mooch hah.

Although the atmosphere was fun since we had maybe 6 people in the room (trans mostly) and just doing homework. Sounds boring as fuck but everyone had an interesting story to share. But those poor basterds pulled so many all-nighters.

If anyone is curious you can take over room 201 and pull all nighters. Maybe we could all meet up sometime and do some sketchwork/other homework.

Thanks
    well, i must say this was quite an enjoyable thread to read, not to mention most informative. grr.. you punks got me infected with the artcenter bug. Oh great, now i want to go to pasedena. It's so far away and so expensive. AND trying to find a place to live! but damn does it sound worth it . alright wonderful, cant believe how difficult you guys make stuff. ^_^
    could some of you post your portfolios that you got in artcenter with? im curious how hard it might be and what i have to look to.
    Last edited by le capitan; May 4th, 2005 at 09:41 AM.

Page 27 of 155 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 77 127 ... LastLast