The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 27

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 27 of 65 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have that kind of problem, I have the fortune of living in Pasadena already.
    You're going to have a hard time, because the prices are all jacked up in the nearby area.
    Though http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=784 you could try that.

DON'T CLICK THIS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Apartments

Look in Glendale. My apt is $1200 for a two bedroom. I'll see if there's any openings in my building.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evildisco, you are so incredibly lucky. -___- Ha, I'd love to live with other accd students but my dad prefers me to room with females and I think I'll respect that decision. I think J. Mac is a dood?

Gunnz, thanks, I'll try to look the area up. Thanks alot for your help. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone,

I've been looking at Art Center for a while, as well as other schools, but
    I wanted to ask those who have applied to Art Center for a 2nd BFA (since that's what I'd be doing if I applied)... what made you choose to go for the 2nd BFA instead of going for an MFA elsewhere? Getting an MFA elsewhere would of course be much much cheaper (in-school-time is shorter, one would be eligible for TA-tuition-waivers and college/federal grants, plus one'd be able to teach once one finished) but what made you decide to go to Art Center anyway?
    Is it the quality of instruction? Is it because MFAs generally have a research-oriented focus... or is it anything else? Also, so far, do you think you made the right choice?

Basically, I guess I'm trying to find out if getting a 2nd BFA at Art Center is worth the price and time...

Thanks in advance,
    kradeki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kradeki
    Hi everyone,

I've been looking at Art Center for a while, as well as other schools, but
    I wanted to ask those who have applied to Art Center for a 2nd BFA (since that's what I'd be doing if I applied)... what made you choose to go for the 2nd BFA instead of going for an MFA elsewhere? Getting an MFA elsewhere would of course be much much cheaper (in-school-time is shorter, one would be eligible for TA-tuition-waivers and college/federal grants, plus one'd be able to teach once one finished) but what made you decide to go to Art Center anyway?
    Is it the quality of instruction? Is it because MFAs generally have a research-oriented focus... or is it anything else? Also, so far, do you think you made the right choice?

Basically, I guess I'm trying to find out if getting a 2nd BFA at Art Center is worth the price and time...

Thanks in advance,
    kradeki
    Yeah, I'd like to know too. I'm going for a second bachelor's degree in the spring. Yes, an MFA would be cheaper in terms of getting more aid (you getting almost nothing if you apply for a second BFA or BA), and being in school for a shorter duration, but I think it all depends on what you want to do, and where you are in your career already. I think a MFA is more for people who already have a solid skill set in their intended major, and are just looking for ways to further develop their career in terms of research, collaboration, and experimentation. However, for someone like me, who doesn't have experience in illustration and hasn't worked professionally at all, a BFA would probably be more ideal. I've looked at some MFA curriculums and course descriptions, and I just feel like a BFA would suit me better. I'm not even sure if I want to graduate either. I don't intend to teach, but only to work as a professional. Also, I don't even think that you need a MFA to teach at design schools. Some teachers don't even have BFAs! I think it just depends on your experience and your accomplishments. Anyways, if anybody has any opinions, please share. I was planning on going to Otis because they gave me a small scholarship and put me in as a sophomore (vs. AC who gave me nothing) , but the new motion graphics gallery on the Art Center website rocked my socks!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone! I have, what seems to me, like a really dumb question, two actually When do you find out the supplies and such that you'll need for each class, and when do they bill you for the semester? Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They should inform through a syllabus the required supplies as for the billing I think it's the first week of the start of the semester, if you are paying in full, otherwise there are other dates for the split tuition.
    Check the website, it should say there.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Entertainment design degree?

Hi everyone..., I am just about ready to send off my portfolio for spring entrance and scholarship application, this thread (and site) has been an amazing help. I just had a quick question and was hoping someone here on the boards might have some insight.

I am applying to the illustration program and am hoping to go towards an entertainment design degree, however I just watched an interview with Scott Robertson on cgchannel and he had said they plan on starting a new Entertainment Design degree in the fall. Did I hear right, is this happening? I would love to end up doing concept design for film & games, and maybe there is a new track for it.

Either way it will not make a big difference in my application, I was just curious and had not heard back from the accd counseler I emailed.

Thanks again and, good luck this semester.

One time Micheal Jackson came to my house to look at my sketchbook.....
    my sketchbook

check out my blog

where I work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Who's going to be at the social tomorrow night? At the south campus?

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    They should inform through a syllabus the required supplies as for the billing I think it's the first week of the start of the semester, if you are paying in full, otherwise there are other dates for the split tuition.
    Check the website, it should say there.
    Ah yes I dunno why I didn't think of that! You're right, it's the first week of the start of the semester. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Timo>> It is not an entertainment design degree. It is a minor program. The program has two classes of people going through it right now, and this fall is the official launch of the program (when all the classes will be running ect ect)

If you want more information on this minor program. some of us in the first class have started a forum where we post art and answer questions, come look around and maybe we can help

http://www.pensketch.com/forums

---------------------------------

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shaoshao - thanks a ton for the clarification!

I went to the pensketch forum - awesome! I spent all night looking at everyones gallery posts. Get me even more motivated.

Thanks again

my sketchbook

check out my blog

where I work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

spring 2007 semester

ahhh YEAH!, Just sent off my portfolio for officiall application to the illustration major! It should be there Friday... I can't wait to hear back.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes before you hear back about acceptance?

Anyone else applying for admission in the Spring?

my sketchbook

check out my blog

where I work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 weeks maybe? That's what it took for mine to get a response.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I sent my portfolio yesterday (somewhat last minute), applying for admission to the illustration program, spring 07.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great thread here, thanks for all the info!
    I'm planning to transfer to AC for Fall 2007 and I have a question.

On the AC website they say that sketchbooks can be a useful addition to a portfolio. So, would it be wise to submit multiple sketchbooks in my portfolio or should I just keep it to one?
    and how should I submit the sketchbook? Should I just put it in the front cover of my portfolio, or should I put it somewhere else?

Visit my Sketchpoop!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yahoo Baby!

Just got my acceptance letter on Saturday. Took about 2 weeks. Very excited, it is pretty much a done deal as long as I get some sort of financial aid or scholarship help. I have pretty much accepted the fact that I am going to take out some massive loans to get through... but I think I have come to terms with that.

@ document - I had a list of items/coverpage that I included with my portfolio, I listed my sketchbook and then just packed it in the case with everything else.

Good luck

my sketchbook

check out my blog

where I work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm in!

Booh-Yah !

Can't let this thread fall to the second page....

After sitting on pins and needles for a few weeks I finally recieved my award/scholarship info from Art Center.
    5000 - if anyone cares - I am just happy to get anything. I can't wait to start, now I just have to start the task of signing over my soul to lenders, hopefully I can find some who will let me get money with my credit.
    Any recomendations on how to start the proccess(like go to a credit union etc?, I am farly clueless as to the next step.)

Has anyone done the federal workstudy through Art Center? I am curious as to what kind of jobs they have you do.

Does anyone recommend a good place to live? - I would love to be with fellow Art Center-ists

If anyone is looking for a place to live and/or roomates I'll be heading down the end of Nov. to look and would be more than happy to keep my eyes open.

my sketchbook

check out my blog

where I work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

house to rent

hey guys

Im not sure if it is the right place to do this so..Im an AC graduate and currently working overseas and looking to rent out my house- maybe to a couple of AC students. Is it ok if I post pics/flyer here? Or if anyone's interested you can PM me.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm interested - sent pm
    you can contact me at

timc@sandmanstudios.com

thanks
    Tim

my sketchbook

check out my blog

where I work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo C.
    Booh-Yah !

After sitting on pins and needles for a few weeks I finally recieved my award/scholarship info from Art Center.
    5000 - if anyone cares - I am just happy to get anything. I can't wait to start, now I just have to start the task of signing over my soul to lenders, hopefully I can find some who will let me get money with my credit.
    Any recomendations on how to start the proccess(like go to a credit union etc?, I am farly clueless as to the next step.)

Has anyone done the federal workstudy through Art Center? I am curious as to what kind of jobs they have you do.

Does anyone recommend a good place to live? - I would love to be with fellow Art Center-ists

If anyone is looking for a place to live and/or roomates I'll be heading down the end of Nov. to look and would be more than happy to keep my eyes open.
    Congrats on your scholarship! You're getting 5k a semester? Either way....that's awesome. I'm still waiting for my scholarship letter....
    Anyhow...getting private loans are pretty easy. In the financial aid packet there should be this sheet showing you all the financial ad portals. Through this, you can find a list of private lenders (Citibank, Chase, Education Finance Partners, etc). Pretty much anybody that breathes can get a private loan....but the interest rates are pretty crazy. Just do some research....most of the private loan rates I've checked are based on the prime rate, which is already at 8.5%. Of course this is plus or minus a percentage based on your credit score or co-signer. Anyhow, it's all pretty much self explanatory....just read the fine print!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone! I'm a brand new member and I'm planning on applying to Art Center for the Summer of '07. My question is, what major should I apply to? Illustration? Transportation design? Product design?

I'm in the process of reading all 800+ posts on this thread (up to page 8) and there seems to be some controversy as to which major is the best fit for those interested in concept design. I know it really depends on the person, so I guess I should tell you a little about my goals and interests.

I would really like to be a really well rounded artist that can work equally well with organic subjects and harder surfaces. Although Doug Chiang and Crash McCreery are both incredible designers, I don't JUST want to be a "robots and spaceships" guy or JUST a "monsters and creatures" guy. I'd love to have the environmental skills of Craig Mullins, the figure/character rendering skills of Travis Charest and the vehicle design skills of the ILM/SW/ST crew. I prefer to work with graphite/colored pencil/markers, but I would like to learn to paint. I want to improve my ability to model objects and interiors from my imagination, which the ID majors seem to emphasize, as I'm really weak in that area right now, but I'm not super interested in just drawing cars. Nor am I interested in taking courses on model making, ergonomics, design ethics, etc.

Right now the stuff I have for my portfolio is more geared towards illustration, but if trans. or prod. design will be better for concept design, I guess I'll start over.

This thread has been a tremendous resource for me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hambucker sounds like illustration would give you a more well-rounded education.

as for everybody else (and maybe you too mr. ham i don't know): for chrissakes learn to draw! every grad show on the entertainment side of things have been really depressing.

(i don't need to know how to draw anymore cause i'm all fine-art hohoho)

seriously though don't depend on ArtCenter to teach you the foundation you need.

i still like ArtCenter though.

Last edited by steve kim; November 7th, 2006 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo tim. did you get 5k a sem? or 5k for a yr? thats pretty impressive dude! cool SB too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo C.
    Booh-Yah !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo! T-lapia

Yeah man I got 5K a semester. Which I am pretty happy and gratefull to get. Looking at some of the previous posts it seems like it may be right around average for the Illustration scholarships though.

Right now my big debat is deciding weather to start in Jan, or defer enrollement for a semester and try and put away a little money, I qualify for loans but that is still money I have to pay back(with interest). If I really work my but off I can get enough scraped together for a semester, but I worry about starting late... I'll be 25 by the time I start in Jan.

Any thoughts are appreciated....

@ T-lapia
    Are you attending Art Center now?

my sketchbook

check out my blog

where I work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep in mind if u work like crazy to save up money for your first term that might hurt your chance to get future loans/grants (will raise your EFC)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Efc

Yep, EFC for any year is based on the previous year's tax return. So....if anything, try to get a tip-based job...like waitering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BTW....I just turned 26 a month ago. *eek*.
    Oh well...better late than never! Until recently, the average age of the entering freshman at AC was 24...so it ain't that bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated! That is true about the EFC, I guess I was thinking a little bit that one in the hand is worth two in the bush sorta... Meaning the more money I can bring in the less I will need in Loans(growing interest). I suppose that doesn't work exactly right either since I think your scholarship is influenec by your efc.. maybe? oh well.... gotta figure it all out, thanks for your thoughts.

my sketchbook

check out my blog

where I work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Humbucker: yea sounds kinda like you want to stick with illustration then, though while your there you might want to take a product design class too just to get a bit more familiar with hard objects and stuff.

you could always go to art center twice though hahah.

biggest thing other than your traditional skills to get sharp i would say is get your design skills up to snuff, with creating interseting objects and characters. every term you see a lot of the same stuff churning out of the departments, and everynow and again you see a real gem, ususaly its the ones with the best design skills, not necisarily the best draftsmen.

just going to art center doesnt make you the UBER artist, YOU have to make youself into one, the school just provides the tools to make the jurney go a lot faster.
    just my 2cents from the fine art department there hehe.im not an illustrator or entertainment major i just dig concept art.

Chumps: i think we were in the Loving ugly TDS togheter, i remeber you drawing that flying robot guy in your sketchbook in class haha.

Page 27 of 65 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook