The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 24

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 24 of 65 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lesedi
    Kit Baron told me we should hear for the fall by April 14 or so.
    Yeah....I'm still waiting for mine. April 14 seems a little soon. On that blue card that I got in the mail, it said that it would take from a month to six weeks, and this was about 3 weeks ago.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Hehe.. april 14th then..

oh CRAP that's tomorrow!!

Quote Originally Posted by gunnz
    Yeah....I'm still waiting for mine. April 14 seems a little soon. On that blue card that I got in the mail, it said that it would take from a month to six weeks, and this was about 3 weeks ago.

...what blue card??

(and you may be right, it took me forever to get my acceptance letter. Two weeks after it was postmarked, as I recall.)

"Habit is the most subtle and comfortable of cages."

Lesedi's Sketchbook

Lianna,
    Have you decided to go with Art Center yet or still considering?

"Habit is the most subtle and comfortable of cages."

Lesedi's Sketchbook

...what blue card??

(and you may be right, it took me forever to get my acceptance letter. Two weeks after it was postmarked, as I recall.)
    The blue flyer says that your portfolio is done being reviewed for scholarship consideration. It also says that you can pick up your portfolio.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Denart
    thanks for the response Evil Shao!

another question for you lucky Art Center peeps:

I'm not interested in any form of degree but just want to learn, so is it possible to just take individual courses here and there at Art Center during the academic school year?

IF that's not an option, what about the night courses? Are night teachers up to par with Art Center's usual?

and how does Art Center compare with Gnomon?
    http://www.gnomon3d.com/coursesNew/a...my_design.html

Thanks for the time!
    I would look into LAAFA (www.laafigart.com) for core academic classes...and they even have a creature design class.

laafa doesnt offer academic classes

9. Quote Originally Posted by shaoshao
    laafa doesnt offer academic classes
    Sorry for the confusion, I worded this wrong -
    I don't mean GEDs/academics.. but classes that would be considered part of the core curriculum at AC. At Laafa you can take this individually: Head/ figure drawing, anatomy, beginning painting etc..etc...
    As for gnomon - last time I checked, they were geared more towards training for the 3D world but have 2D classes and of course, tons of DVDs. wrokshops,etc...

Lianna,
    Have you decided to go with Art Center yet or still considering?
    I really really REALLY want to.. but money is a huge problem for me right now. I have a little brother I have to be considerate about [he'll eventually go to college too] and I feel bad putting all this pressure on my parents. As a member of a middle class family, I'm too poor to afford art center's tution but apparently "too rich" to get any aid from the government. The whole moving business, renting apartment and getting a car almost doubles the tuition..so it sucks for me..

um.. so that puts me in the considering catagory?

Quote Originally Posted by Denart
    thanks for the response Evil Shao!

another question for you lucky Art Center peeps:

I'm not interested in any form of degree but just want to learn, so is it possible to just take individual courses here and there at Art Center during the academic school year?

IF that's not an option, what about the night courses? Are night teachers up to par with Art Center's usual?

and how does Art Center compare with Gnomon?
    http://www.gnomon3d.com/coursesNew/a...my_design.html

Thanks for the time!

yo den,

you have to be enrolled as a day student to take any day classes. the options are either a full term (full tuition ~ 13000) where you take at least 12 units (each class is usually 3 units so 4 classes minimum) and at most 18 units. Lite terms are 3 classes or less and are prorated at full tuition cost / 18 units = cost per unit. i think it's like 2k a class or something.

it's not possible to just take a few classes and not be enrolled in the class. people are sometimes able to 'sit in' on classes that aren't full but if you aren't friends with the other classmates it's usually frowned upon since you're taking up their crit time and wall space.

night classes can be great and the teachers can really push you but what you're going to lack is the level of skill and hardworking dedication in your class mates that you'll find in the day program. night students usually are older and coming back to take a few classes here or there (aka their priorities aren't always in a fulltime-school mindset), or it's filled with people who want to be exposed to something at a fraction of the cost.

i've never taken a class at gnomon but i'd say it's a much better route than art center night classes. especially for entertainment design. the teachers there are usually top notch and the kids that go there pump out some good work (at least from what kchen showed of the end of term showcase).

there is also a new entertainment school that opened up in pasadena and was started by matessi. again, i've never been but i think they've got some good potential if you find a good teacher. i'm planning on checking it out this summer.

cheers,

c

pensketch.com
    gw | en | cs | fl
    sketch of die bitch.

hey guys, I haven't been around to check this thread for quite a while. I'l' try to answer what i can regarding den's question and shoji's response.

sitting in is generally not a big problem. Most teachers (good ones at least) are very willing to have students sitting into their classes as long as the students won't bother the on going class. Generally, you'd be getting the class materials that everyone is getting, but you probably would not be able to get any critisisms in class from the instructors. However, that does not mean you cannot find them after class to give you feedbacks.

A couple teachers though, dislike the idea of sitting in for their own reasons. Eric Robison being one (intro to entertainment), and Scott Robertson (his class used to be impossible to even sign into).

About Gnomon compared to Art Center. It's really hard to say because the instructors at Gnomon changes every semester there. However, the classes are <$800 there compared to 2000+ at art center. So if you wait around for the better instructors (Kchen etc., though i don't think he's teaching there anymore) Gnomon might actually be a great deal.

The main different in the class atmosphere between gnomon and artcenter is that at Gnomon classes are just more "chilled". The teachers will not push you as hard as the Art Center ones so you're on your own. That being said, alot of the students at gnomon are actually people from the industry that wanted a refresher course so it could be a great experience for you.

First off I must say that this thread has been a huge help and inspiration to me.

I have wanted to go to Art Center ever since I found out it existed, but I kind of put that dream in the back of my mind because I had a decent job doing interactive design and limited 3d work where I was, and the pay was not bad either. But I had this drive inside of me that kept me feeling completley satisfied with what I was doing. Even though the work I was doing was completley unrelated I got my boss to let me take the weekened off to drive to California for the Gnomon workshop, and as amazing as that was, the best part of the whole trip was visiting Art Center.

It was like a little monastery up in the hills - Dedicated/disciplined to becomeing the best. I have never felt so motivated and so intimidated at the same time.

After I got back I decided to do whatever I had to do to go back to living my dreams and becoming a working artist. My art skills had atrophied from years of neglect so I am doing whatever I can to get them back up to snuff.

I would love to get feedback from people in this forum on my sketchbook and what I should focus on. Wether I go to AC or not, that is what I am going to prepare my protfolio for, cause in my mind AC the best.

I know there has been some discussion in this thread about wether the School is still the same school that it built it's reputation on or not, and I have really found that helpfull thanks for your honest remarks.

here is the link to my just started sketchbook thread here at CA
    sketchbook

I hope to add more as I start serious work on my portfolio
    I am hoping to enter the illustration program and work as a concept artist when I finish

Thanks for the look
    T.

If you are going for illustration, i would recommend a lot of figure drawings from life and a couple of conceptual pieces for your portfolio.

Loans

Is anyone going to Art Center on 100% loans? I didn't get any scholarships this time, so I'm thinking about reapplying with a better portfolio and going in the spring instead of fall. They budget $75,000 for three terms. That sounds crazy. If I can go part-time in the first term, I would consider that as well.

I went to school all on loans. Its.. not advisable. From all logical standpoints, the tution cost of Art Center is ludicrous. But its all dependant on how much you'd like to gamble, and what your goals are. If you don't care about graduation, and can push your own schedule or agenda, then you can spend less money.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

I got a 4000 doller scholarship for each term but I'm still not going. That's pretty much nothing cause I still got to pay 62 thousand dollers. Heck thats just tutition. another thing that bugged me was that they didnt tell me anything about my portfolio. I was exspecting them to tell me what they liked and didnt like so I could improve. And all the signatures on the papers of theirs were printed. Shitty cheapness.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMayernik
    I was exspecting them to tell me what they liked and didnt like so I could improve.
    Do art colleges usually do that for you when you apply? I thought critiques were only given during open houses/ visitations/ national portfolio days. Heh, I might be wrong though.

Got 6k per term.. not enough but it's better than nothing. Scrap in a little cash here and there.. love the school and area so I'll think I'm willing to take the risk. [of being in big time debt, that is..] I'm in.

man you two sound a bit bratty.

be grateful.

6k a term is about the most you'll get coming in to school unless you get a corporate sponsor scholarship (full ride). but that's pretty much just reserved for trans and maybe prod (not sure). i've never heard of anyone coming in on a full ride from the school.

6k is about half, which if you do the math, it's like them saying 'we'll give you at LEAST $48,000' to come to school here. that's a lot of money so i would be stoked, not reluctant.

4k a term is still a lot of money, but i checked out your site and in all honesty you don't need to go to art center. given it would definitely help your design skills, it probably isn't worth the tuition cost unless you planned to go for just a few terms (and if you didn't receive more money each term) then leave. however, you should keep in mind that you'll probably improve by 20 fold in 4 terms at art center (about 16 months) than grinding on your own.

re: feedback from the committee - i felt the same way when i first got in. they don't give any feedback, and you'll learn that future scholarships are very similar. you get ranked but very little feedback. if it's feedback you want you need to meet with the instructors who are on the committee and have them look over your work one on one. not something incoming students are privy to in most respects. if you're wondering why you didn't get more money specifically, you'll prob never find out unless it's something as obvious as EFC. people call in all the time and bitch at financial aid wondering why they didn't get more money. lot of variables play into that, namely how much the dept has to give.

also keep in mind, if you're coming in with a lot of money, there is a good chance you'll be able to get more money each term. given, it's a bit difficult in illustration, it's not out of the question.

going to a school like art center is an investment in yourself. so save some time and ask yourself how much you're willing to invest (aka loans) in your education. and make sure you have a plan on what you want to do when you get out and how to make a return on that investment.

pensketch.com
    gw | en | cs | fl
    sketch of die bitch.

To Lianna & ChrisMayernik : is the scholarship directly from the school? or does that include fafsa or cal grant? i think fafsa gives like 8k max and cal grant is like 12k max per year. just some extra cash.

Do you guys think it's harder to get scholarships if you already have a degree? I got totally neglected on the loans as well. I'm only getting about 3k a term in federal loans, and my EFC is 12k. Unmet need for 3 terms: $56,000. Damn...you guys should seriously be stoked about your scholarships. 25% and 50% are really good scholarship amounts!!

Gunnz it's probably your EFC thats keeping you from getting more financial aid and having a degree means you can't get cal grant and federal grants (right?)...There is always private loan.....

It's not that I'm not grateful but it's that the 4k just isnt enough. I worked really hard to have a good portfolio and I kinda exspected a better scholarship. I'm looking into ccad now. I'm hoping art center is just bluffing and will raise it later on. Yeah the 4k is directly from the school. Yea I don't need to go to the school but I would of liked to if I got a good scholarship. I'm looking into La figurative artist also. http://www.laafigart.com/ . THat place is amazing.

Okay, I guess I am a little greedy not being sastified with 6k... That's because when I caculate, I always include apartment and living expenses. Man, living cost is a little under doubling the tuition, that really bites. It was just wishful thinking, hoping for more scholarship assistance. College is the first huge investment for any 17 year old so naturally, I hope to get the most out of the scholarship to ease the money tension.

redoxyn- Nopes, fafsa didn't give me anything and I don't live in Cali so Cal grant is out. It's scholarship directly from Art Center.

Dude, if you don't want your 6k a term, I'll sure as hell take it.

What major did you apply for?

Lianna i think you need to take a step back and get a better perspective, maybe attend some other schools and allow people who will appreciate the money recieve the money. i know you would like more but you need to understand that you are a 1st termer, and that fact you are complaining about it makes me a tad annoyed when many other people have to deal with the same situation with hardly any assistance from the school or parents, myself being one of those people... i don't mean to offend you but you are 17, you need to learn some life lessons and be greatful for what you have and are recieving.

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Quote Originally Posted by J.Mac
    i don't mean to offend you but you are 17, you need to learn some life lessons and be greatful for what you have and are recieving.
    Mmhm, I realize that. Thank you guys, for giving me a reality check, and also help strengthen my decision to attend art center. I sincerely hope I don't give off a snobby impression, I just don't know how to deal with my financial issues when the numbers are 5 or 6 digits.

How did you guys solve your financial issue? [Besides scholarships/loans]

Kendraad- Illustration.

There are few other ways to solve the financial situations other than loans. You get you're shot at scholarship. Some of us didn't even GET a shot because we applied too close to the term we were coming into. After initial enrollment, chances of getting scholarship plummet because you're going up against heavier competition and you have to take time off to prepare your entries.

You're from NY, like me, so you're not a resident yet and therefore can't go for cal grants. CA residents have the Cal Grant option open, and those who haven't had a previous BA can apply for Pel. You're actually extremely lucky. You, a high school student, have a better financial shot than me, a college graduate before I attended Art Center. Ironic isn't it?

There is the option of work study, also. It's not much, but it can ammount to about $1500 or so per term.

Working outside of school is not advisible.

I only solved the unmet need that I had by private loans. Then, once I got a full time job, and switched to Lite terms, I was able to discontinue the loans that covered my living expenses. Would have been nice if AC had let me continue on that track considering that I could still pay my rent without selling my soul to Citibank, but I guess they saw it different.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

well what i had to do was work part-time (bad idea) and take loans and get scholarships (not much of these) then some grants. It is sad because working doesn't make a difference unless you have a good job that pays more then $20. per/hr anything less makes me feel i am wasting work time i could use for school. So then i sadly have to live off my loans and be super poor, like this term i had to live off of 3,200 and some change no joke thank goodness i have some real good friends to help me out, but b/c i have no money for next term i have to take it off and try to get more some how, or head back to boston. which it might come down to some big ass loans and be even more indebt if i keeping going, a part of me does and the other is afraid i will just be indebt for the rest of my life. art center can be good, but man it sucks that you need so much money more then skill to attend this institution.

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Quote Originally Posted by J.Mac
    but man it sucks that you need so much money more then skill to attend this institution.
    Amen to that, dude.

...I have a sketchbook?

Quote Originally Posted by Helium Macaroni
    There are few other ways to solve the financial situations other than loans. You get you're shot at scholarship. Some of us didn't even GET a shot because we applied too close to the term we were coming into. After initial enrollment, chances of getting scholarship plummet because you're going up against heavier competition and you have to take time off to prepare your entries.

You're from NY, like me, so you're not a resident yet and therefore can't go for cal grants. CA residents have the Cal Grant option open, and those who haven't had a previous BA can apply for Pel. You're actually extremely lucky. You, a high school student, have a better financial shot than me, a college graduate before I attended Art Center. Ironic isn't it?

There is the option of work study, also. It's not much, but it can ammount to about $1500 or so per term.

Working outside of school is not advisible.

I only solved the unmet need that I had by private loans. Then, once I got a full time job, and switched to Lite terms, I was able to discontinue the loans that covered my living expenses. Would have been nice if AC had let me continue on that track considering that I could still pay my rent without selling my soul to Citibank, but I guess they saw it different.
    BTW Helium, you aren't eligible for grants if have a previous degree.

Page 24 of 65 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast