The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 20

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 20 of 65 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how are the academic requirements for the transportation design program?
    does AC accept once u have a good enough portfolio and the $? or do you need to have all 3 - portfolio, $ and academic results?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dun dun duuuunnn.. 2 weeks until ACCD's deadline for fall 2006 admission..

It would really be helpful if someone can interpret what they want when they say "life and figure drawings". Are they asking for gestures, contours or fully complete drawings [background and all]? This is driving me nuts.. I do alot of figure drawings but I don't usually have the time to finish a full 18x 24 drawing. [Model sits for 20 mins max]

Also, how many slides should be send in? I know they want the actual work.. but most of my pieces are bigger than 24x36. Is less, more in this case? Should the majority portfolio be actual work [that may not be as well done as slide work, since I work better on a bigger scale] or vise versa?

Thank in advance~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    life drawing = observational sketches from life to show your ability to visually interpret what you see. it could be anything from people standing at starbucks (quick sketches) to rendering a banana.

figure drawing = emphasis is ALWAYS put on gestural sketches with a some knowledge of anatomy, proportion and how the body masses work. youd could have a rendering in there to show you're capable of taking a drawing to that level but it's not as interesting as a book of 2-5 min sketches.

if you can take a quality scan of your work or professional photograph, you could have it reproduced as a nice print out. 11x17 or 13x19. slides are so dated...

and in the end, i've found when you're entering, the more work you can provide that shows off your personality and what you can do the better. the second you start getting redundant and turning in a bunch of similar projects, it becomes excessive.

best of luck with your future here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lianna
    Dun dun duuuunnn.. 2 weeks until ACCD's deadline for fall 2006 admission..

It would really be helpful if someone can interpret what they want when they say "life and figure drawings". Are they asking for gestures, contours or fully complete drawings [background and all]? This is driving me nuts.. I do alot of figure drawings but I don't usually have the time to finish a full 18x 24 drawing. [Model sits for 20 mins max]

Also, how many slides should be send in? I know they want the actual work.. but most of my pieces are bigger than 24x36. Is less, more in this case? Should the majority portfolio be actual work [that may not be as well done as slide work, since I work better on a bigger scale] or vise versa?

Thank in advance~

pensketch.com
    gw | en | cs | fl
    sketch of die bitch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by runaway
    how are the academic requirements for the transportation design program?
    does AC accept once u have a good enough portfolio and the $? or do you need to have all 3 - portfolio, $ and academic results?
    if you can sketch and you aren't pulling Ds and Fs in your classes then you're fine. very little classes transfer over into academics anyhow unless they're from a upper div university class, so you just need to show you're capable of getting a C or higher. if you're looking for scholarship you should have at least a B or higher grade average.

it's easy to get into art center.

it's hard to get scholarship, but harder to get scholarship once you're in the school. (as opposed to initial application).

it's even harder to stick it out and stay at art center.

trans program is going through some changes. should be good.

pensketch.com
    gw | en | cs | fl
    sketch of die bitch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can someone clarify what this means?

"Portfolios submitted for advanced standing should consist of 20 or more samples representing work completed in the major area. "

- ACCD website [admission section]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The whole paragraph should be:
    A minimum of 12 and a maximum of 20 original pieces, including work related to an applicant’s proposed major, is required. Portfolios submitted for advanced standing should consist of 20 or more samples representing work completed in the major area.

Translation:
    "If you want scholarship, put more than twenty. If you don't, don't bother us go over too many."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're sure that the emphasis is on gestural studies from life as opposed to fully rendered pieces? I'm not asking if fully rendered pieces are useless, I'm sure I can use those too. But I wanna make sure gestures are preferred cuz I've got pages and pages of those from class, but only one fully rendered piece. I've mainly got gestures, self portraits, and a few still life studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauge
    you're sure that the emphasis is on gestural studies from life as opposed to fully rendered pieces? I'm not asking if fully rendered pieces are useless, I'm sure I can use those too. But I wanna make sure gestures are preferred cuz I've got pages and pages of those from class, but only one fully rendered piece. I've mainly got gestures, self portraits, and a few still life studies.
    ^ I'm nervous about that too.. My portfolio is almost 50% based on just figure drawings and gestures.

Just 1 more question! -

My main portfolio is rather.. large, and I won't be able to send it in. I have a few small works too but I'm afraid it's not enough. How many actual pieces should I send in and how many slides? Can I send in more slides than real work? [Right now, I have about 7 original work and 20+ slides I can choose from]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by S.W.
    The whole paragraph should be:
    A minimum of 12 and a maximum of 20 original pieces, including work related to an applicant’s proposed major, is required. Portfolios submitted for advanced standing should consist of 20 or more samples representing work completed in the major area.

Translation:
    "If you want scholarship, put more than twenty. If you don't, don't bother us go over too many."

I put less then 20 pieces.. (I put 18/19 dunt relaly remember anymore) I still got a scholarship... they dont really like you going over.

As for rendered pieces dont concentrate on those to muc... art center doesn't care as much about how you render stuff as about how you thing... gestures are better if you really want money.. I had only 3 renderd out pieces... everything else were just quick sketches... nothing ranging over 1 minutes.

Make sure your sketch book has your name on it if your submitting one... I never got mine back =/ new sketchbook too.....

- "The world says artist's are just dreamers, but the world was created by someone who dared to dream." ~ David Walker

My Concept Art Portfolio:
    http://www.polinadesign.com

My Blog:
    http://phristova-daily.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys,

I'm a junior in high school, and we're required to do a junior-senior project on whichever topic we would like. Our school has provided some internship opportunities, but none were art related. Anyways, i was wondering if anyone knows of a Los Angeles based company or studio that is looking for high school interns.

Thanks,
    Matt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi I want to apply for a scholarship for the fall and I know I have only a week left to send my portfolio in. I'm really not sure what I should include in my portfolio. I have so much work and it's very hard to decide what to put in and what not too. What do I ship the portfolio in. I know it says a case but does that mean suitcase? Oh also is it a bad idea to try and get a scholarship by sending my stuff in at the last minute? I would only considerer going if I got a good scholarship. And is it true that the max scholarship is 50 percent? surely there has to be a 100 percent scholarship.

oh and is the school really all it's hyped up to be? I got this image in my head that everyone there works very hard, draws constantly. and pretty much are amazing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dangs Odds, you're in LA and you can't find an art internship? I'm in the middle of no where, FL... Good luck with that man... I'm sure something will come up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chris: Edit your portfolio down to your _best_ 20 pictures, showing as broad a range medium/technique wise, and a strong concentration in figure work. Good work with figure in terms of gesture and flow will go a long way for illustration. Not sure regarding a 100% scholarship or not. And it's definately what it's cracked up to be, just a matter of pushing yourself with in that. There are some people that kinda slack and don't do well, but most of us are busting our asses. Work hard, and find out what teachers teach what you want to learn and get into their classes and you're set.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gygaxis : thanks ! I don't have very much figure work at all. very recently I attended 2 days of a special figure drawing session but I didn't render anything out and only did gestures. I'm sending my portfolio 2 day shipping tomorrow and I spent all day writing my essays. Even with all this work and putting stuff together I doubt I will be able to go to art center for atleast 2 or 3 years. I have no chance getting a loan myself and my parents filed bankrup, plus I come from a large family and theres no way my mom or dad could help me out. I really am just applying to get a grasp on what kind of scholarship I could get and then I am going to plan on how I am going to get huge sums of money to pay for artcenter. IN the end I'l probaly become a pirate and steal treasures until I have enough for art center. ARRRRRRR....tt.. Center.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chris: Definately gotta talk with the financial aid people. I am pretty impressed by your work, and if ACCD see's that you've got some good stuff coming out they are definately willing to try and work with you to overcome stuff. You might be able to get grants and such. One thing that is _really_ good to do in terms of money is establish your residency in California, qualifies you for $4k grant/term and if you're in LA area there are other things you can do that are really good for your stuff, LA Figurative Academy for example is AMAZING for figure work, some good classes at Gnomon (and some lame ones)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey i live in australia and i emailed them last year to get them to send me one of their book things that has all the courses. im interested in applying, of course ill be aiming for some kind of aid. Do they offer the same scholarships for international students? I just started at a very small art school over here on a scholarship for a year, but after that i would like to attend a larger institution.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as far as I know they offer the same scholarships, we are a private institution so our financially goodness in that regard comes from private investors/fund raising.

Mercan might know more on the matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick question please answere as soon as possible cause artcenter never replied to me. Is it going to be a problem to submit more then 20. I have like 25 and I Really need to include these things. Does over 20 artworks disquilify me from getting a scholarship? I"m sending my artwork overnight super fast shipping in about 1 hour. PLease reply if you can before that. Thanks

I had no clue how to know how much my artworks would way and know my portfolio is over the limit of 25 I think. Will they still accept it if its 30 LB or so?

Last edited by ChrisMayernik; February 27th, 2006 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ChrisMayernik: I dont think they are that picky. Just make sure it's not too heavy for someone to pick up. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Redonxyn: Thanks

I just sent my portfolio! YEs! It was exactly 25 Lb. SOO lucky. What what a crazy last four days it's been putting all that stuff together and writing the essays. Now I just hope it gets there without someone stealing my art. I'm So excited! Cost me 150 bucks to send it though. Kinda a lot of money. oh and I manage to get my portfolio down to 20 artworks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o.o wow.. how did you get your portfolio to be 25 lbs? My pieces were pretty big, and it was around 12 lbs.. hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Applying to Art Center

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMayernik
    Redonxyn: Thanks

I just sent my portfolio! YEs! It was exactly 25 Lb. SOO lucky. What what a crazy last four days it's been putting all that stuff together and writing the essays. Now I just hope it gets there without someone stealing my art. I'm So excited! Cost me 150 bucks to send it though. Kinda a lot of money. oh and I manage to get my portfolio down to 20 artworks.
    Hey man, good luck. I'm pretty much in the exact same boat as you.. sending in your portfolio last minute. Mine got there today, via UPS. I'm pretty uncertain of how I'm gonna pay the 120,000 dollar tution. My parents have spent all their money financing my previous BA, and I just couldn't ask for any more. I just got my FAFSA back, and it looks like they put my expected contribution as $12,000! Geez....since I'm independent, they rate my financial status solely based on my last year's income. Do they ever stop to think that maybe I won't have that job next year if I'm at school? No.....oh well. Again, good luck man, and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gunnz: Good luck./ I'm just sending in my FAFSA now. I'm really hoping thats not going to be a problem. I called the school and I think I should be good but that was just one person I talked to. If they look at my portfolio before they get my FAFSA they might not even think about giving me a scholarship. And I'm only going to a school that gives me a scholarship.

Lianna: Really>? 11 LB. that's amazing. Yea I didnt really even have that much stuff, I think it was the two 24 x 36 inch prints I sent that made it heaver, and then two sketchbooks. oh and my little brother. Going to miss you Filip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good luck guys. 25 images sounds like a lot though, in my opinion less is more, i think its best to include only the asbolute best and to be ruthless. thats how im treating my portfolio anyways.
    good luck again!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES! everything finally arrived there!! sheesh, usps guaranteed my application to be there by yesterday.. they LIED and I've been dying for the past 24 hours..

how long will it take for them to reply?

btw, best of luck to all those who applied! =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It only took them 1 week to review my portfolio and accept me and 4 weeks after that to review scholarship.

I had submited 3 weeks before scholarship so i don't know how many people have applied.

- "The world says artist's are just dreamers, but the world was created by someone who dared to dream." ~ David Walker

My Concept Art Portfolio:
    http://www.polinadesign.com

My Blog:
    http://phristova-daily.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Center

Quote Originally Posted by PolinaH
    It only took them 1 week to review my portfolio and accept me and 4 weeks after that to review scholarship.

I had submited 3 weeks before scholarship so i don't know how many people have applied.
    Gosh...I'm so anxious as to what their decision is going to be. I've been losing sleep over this....haha. It's a good thing that their admissions process is so quick. It's been almost a week since I've turned in my 'folio. Must be patient....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I summit my profolio on Monday and got my admission package on Friday.
    Dunno if distance affects that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I plan on applying to ACCD, but I don't know which major I should go into. Currently, I'm majoring in animation (going for an associates) at a community college. I want to go into visual effects but at the same time, I want to do digital art/concept art.
    I don't know rather to pick the Entertainment Arts or Motion Illustration. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Entertainment arts does some storyboarding and some preproduction stuff, it's not so much on the concept design side (that's entertainment design) motion graphics is the more animation style they seem to be really pushing a lot of more graphic style vs movie VFX stuff. There are a lot of visual effects ellectives I'm not sure what actual program track (if any) they are specific too, and we're supposed to be getting a matte painting class soon.

Page 20 of 65 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 38