The Official Artcenter Thread - like, omg! - Page 18

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 18 of 65 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Finacial aid actually will exceed the cost of your tuition by quite a bit most likely. As at ACCD they have you demonstrate that you will have the ammount of money required to attend for the semester. Their estimated budget covers housing, transportation, food, supplies, tuition, and some left over for incidentals, and is very much what I'm surviving on. I'm nervous as hell about the size of the student loans, but I know that I'm learning how to pay it back. ACCD is the best place I've ever been, and I've felt that way since the moment I set foot in here =/ You'll learn soooo much from the other students too, because there are people here that will be doing what you're looking to do. And you'll make great contacts with people that you'll be working with over the years.

As for Viscom, god yes, how is that NOT required for illu yet? Think it's going to be part of the reqs for the Entertainment Design minor is it not? But yeah, deffinately stick with as much foundation technical skill classes as you can. Get to the workshops that you can besides homework, and go to the guest speakers and stuff. Find which teachers will bust your ass and make you work the hardest, and then find out how you can get into their classes.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gygaxis
    Finacial aid actually will exceed the cost of your tuition by quite a bit most likely. As at ACCD they have you demonstrate that you will have the ammount of money required to attend for the semester. Their estimated budget covers housing, transportation, food, supplies, tuition, and some left over for incidentals, and is very much what I'm surviving on. I'm nervous as hell about the size of the student loans, but I know that I'm learning how to pay it back. ACCD is the best place I've ever been, and I've felt that way since the moment I set foot in here =/ You'll learn soooo much from the other students too, because there are people here that will be doing what you're looking to do. And you'll make great contacts with people that you'll be working with over the years.

Cool, thanks. I figured that's how it worked, but I hadn't seen anybody in this thread really talk about that. At SCAD I got an extra $5000 or so back per term (they're on a quarter system though instead of semesters... meaning that money only had to last me about 3 months) in student loan refunds which paid for my rent, food, etc with a little left over for other shit. If you don't mind me asking, how much are you getting back every semester? And is it enough to have your own place or are you renting a room or what? Do you have enough to make the occasional splurge, you know go to the movies, buy a dvd or a game or whatever?

In case you can't tell, I'm planning on applying to Art Center soon and I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect when it comes time to apply for loans and stuff. I already have a good idea since I have dealt with all of that when I was at SCAD... but you know, different school. Just trying to see if the financial aid system is similar.

Last edited by CruShTinbOX; October 15th, 2005 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks
    I went to the art center site to find information on viscom but there's no course description there. What exactly is it and why is it so beneficial?

Thanks
    Gauge:
    go here: http://www.artcenter.edu/datalog/ProgramsOfStudy.jsp

then chose Product Design or Transportation in the drop down menu and klick "Submit".
    A matrix of courses should appear. Under Visualization you should find: Vis Comm 1 click on this and you get a little summary with some information.

Thanks
    thank you mario.

another question, is industrial design a former major there that was removed?

Thanks
    Industrial Design is kind of a blanket category for the Product Design, Transportation Design and Environmental Design majors. Trans does vehicles, Product does like, every conceviable type of goods, mostly retail stuff, and Environmental designs public spaces.

Thanks
    Sheff, I checked out your website and I loved the Star Trek James Brown and Ray Charles.

Thanks
    Thanks bigmack!

Thanks
    Hello, guys!

I need help on the portfolio part for Graphics Design. I have an idea what it needs... but I have never seen somebody else's portfolio before! Especially someone applying for a Graphics Design course. I don't know anyone who's a Graphic Designer either.

Can anyone help me? I need to see examples. I know it's impossible for me to get accepted in ArtCenter with my mediocre grades and underdeveloped talent... but I'll give it a try anyway.

Johann Pascual

Frustrated Designer
    www.fjmucomics.com

Thanks
    you should probably revamp your attitude about it before you do. Confidence goes a long way.

Thanks
    Okay, okay. Confidence does go a loooong way. In fact, I have learned that it's probably more important than talent, in some cases or situations. Then, I shall be confident from now on.

Johann Pascual

Frustrated Designer
    www.fjmucomics.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauge
    Confidence goes a long way.
    ..drinking will help with that.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium Macaroni
    ..drinking will help with that.
    When all else fails!

Johann Pascual

Frustrated Designer
    www.fjmucomics.com

Thanks
    its true. though the hard part is drinking and finding that balance between "feeling loose and confident" and having vomit spraying out of your mouth while you're laying down cuz you're so dizzy. That's the part I have trouble with.

Thanks
    Yes. But can anyone show me a sample of a portfolio?

Johann Pascual

Frustrated Designer
    www.fjmucomics.com

Thanks
    I'm a little curious about that myself.

Thanks

Unhappy Finaid coming down?

Just got a call from LA home oversea, saying they got some letter sent from ACCD about money recently. From their obscure description I can barely tell that the number was kinda short compare to a 13k tutition....But I don't even know yet is that my FAFSA or my scholarship.

Is anybody else's scholarship coming down? I can smell that I'm gonna have some financial problem...

Thanks
    I just applied for scholarship too, they're only giving me 2000 a term... what I dont understand is if its only for 2 terms or for the entire 8 terms.... that I have to call about.

Art Center really looks at how much money you and your parents make.. and this influences the scholarship decision...

They should rename the art center scholarship to an art center grant. Because last time I checked scholarships should only be influenced by your skill and not how much money your parents make.

(it just happened to me =/) And theyre not giving me much in school loans ither (1000 a term) so that means I have to get 10,000 in private loans

So I know how you feel I was pretty crushed by it too... anyways if you have any better luck keep me posted, I'm tring to find alternatives myself

- "The world says artist's are just dreamers, but the world was created by someone who dared to dream." ~ David Walker

My Concept Art Portfolio:
    http://www.polinadesign.com

My Blog:
    http://phristova-daily.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    get over it. They're trying to help out the people who are in greater need of the money.

Thanks
    Gauge I am over it..
    but I believe I am one of those people that needs a little bit more then 2000 a term..

My parents may look rich to fasfa... but fasfa never calculates in bills such as rent, food, medical, and car payments inorder to get to work.

I dont as for much I just need 4000 a term and I'll be happy to loan everything else...

But like I said, I'm looking for other alternatives.. to pay for the school... so don't take me as cynical.

- "The world says artist's are just dreamers, but the world was created by someone who dared to dream." ~ David Walker

My Blog:

Thanks
    fafsa DOES calculate all that, because those are bills that almost all of us have to foot. But they're giving their money out based on who needs it more and who applies for it first, that's about as reasonably fair as you can get. I'm in the same boat as you, and I'm just looking for as many scholarships as possible.

Thanks
    Ok so what are the options for those who don't drive? I wish I could, and I've got a car available to me here in D.C that I could have if I got my license. The problem is (as I stated earlier) that I'm diabetic and my doctor will not sign my papers allowing me to drive. Now before, this was because I wasn't taking care of myself, I thought it was a fair judgement. But I've been keeping up on my blood sugar and whatnot, and the guy still won't do it and he insists on being vague about it. Going to another doctor won't help the situation at all for reasons I won't waste time explaining. The point is, I'm not going to be able to drive so what are my other options? I know public transport is practically non existant over there, but there's gotta be SOMETHING. It frustrates me so much because I'm from D.C where pub trans is such a huge part of life here.

Oh and a question about portfolio. Are having portraits a good idea? I've got a self portrait and a portrait of a classmate that I really want to include in my portfolio. I don't have any access to a figure drawing class or workshop which is kinda screwing me over. I'm trying to look for alternatives to it, I don't suppose drawing figures from ref on the net would be alright would it? I know it isn't the same, but my options are limited.

One final question. Will being a minority help my chances to get in? I'm ethiopian-american, and I know that in a lot of traditional universities, it helps. But I have no idea if that goes for art schools as well. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Not many options...You can take the ARTS 51 bus which goes straight to Art Center.But its schedule is pretty bad, it only runs once every hour.And it doesn't work on weekends.Besides that there is no other public transportation which can take you to school.If you can find a roommate to carpool with, that will help too.

Yeah, I think it's a pretty good idea, I had a self-portrait in mine.For figure drawing, ask your family/friends to help you with that.If not drawing from photography seems like your only hope, so go for it.

About minority thing, I don't think so.You should focus on your portfolio and don't count on that kind of stuff.

Thanks
    I think refrences off the net and portraits are better then nothing. You could also include some still lifes.

I've never heard of anyone getting in because they're a minority I think this is partcially because a majority of the school are minorities.

The 2 things Art Center looks at most are PORTFOLIO and grades. I know this because they accidently sent me my review sheet when they mailed me my acceptance packet.

Portfolio is what they look at most, but I've heard if you have poor grades, no amount of talent will save you. (A friend of a friend got rejected for this...)

My Blog:

Thanks
    Can anybody shed some light on the digital design 1 waiver test? Such as what may be on it, the level of difficulty, etc.. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PolinaH
    Portfolio is what they look at most, but I've heard if you have poor grades, no amount of talent will save you. (A friend of a friend got rejected for this...)

Hmm, didn't know about this.Maybe its because I'm an international student but I didn't had any trouble about my grades and believe me my high school grades sucked.

Thanks
    design 1 waiver:
    i failed it, 82 out of passing 85. will retake next term. I guessed my way through illustrator and print section which resulted in failure.

questions are like this:
    how do you crop an image in photoshop?
    and then 4 multiple choice...

don't let it fool you, some of it is not this easy. but for the most part.. if you paint in PS and know illustrator you will be fine. brush up on your print terminology... what is CMYK, what is RGB etc... google it for a few hours.

you can retake multiple times.

----

about grades... my High SChool GPA is 1.9. I took 12 units in college (12 units is the minimum college credits ACCD is willing to look at) and they are 3.9 gpa, so i got accepted no problem. i think they look at credit history most importantly... it says a lot about you as a person.. but thats just my suspicion...

don't listen to counselors regarding your porfolio - they are from what i gather has beens and art world rejects. they have no clue. i was told to take my shit home when applying for TRANS, without her even looking at my designs. then eyes wide open when i told her to open the portfolio, "oh you are one of those guys".... "but go to night school anyway for two years" yeah right,,, i am fucking 25... i am not going to accd when i am 40.

just don't stress it. i look at illustration people... TERRIBLE. Just fucking god awful stuff. there are some super talented ppl (like Ben who wants to go ID, and is in a lot of ID classes) but, everyone gets accepted it seems. I am not master figure drawing artist... but for christ sakes,,, junior high level, most everyone. So many 17-18-19 year olds got accepted. go to atelier first if you are that young... learn to be loose, see form.

most people who went to ateliers when applying to ACCD are on good standing... you will be better than 95% of ppl there, don't stress. just manage your schedule because a lot of classes in that program (and this is from what i hear from good illu ppl) are shit. so cancel what sucks... take some devform/viscom ID classes or something.

if you are thinking ACCD ID - stock up on caffeine pills. the new ID track is supposedly easier, and no more than 50 hours of homework a week.... we get about 70. or used to get... now its back to manageable 45-60 - if you push yourself. if you dont push you can do it in 30, but you won't improve. people going 3 days without sleep, falling asleep in front of machine shop during the day... on the floor using steel chair as a pillow... having pics taken of them. i fell asleep on concrete floor in class after my presentation... disoriented in english 1,,, 70 hours without sleep... welcome to ACCD ID - first term - 21 units. first few weeks were easy.... 5 classes then the chairs come in and say -- HERE ARE TWO MORE STUDIO CLASSES FUCKERS! ENJOY!

fucking WHAM!

good to hear accd is being generous with scholarships... seems like its skill based now, not so much originality/bullshit. in ID most people who got highest scores on portfolio are 2nd-3rd term level. its no longer "we look at ideas only, not rendering techniques". they want perspective, loose sketching, no chickenscratch.

peace... i just pulled an all nighter doing thanksgiving day homework, was due by 12 pm today

bootcamp.

P.s.
    regarding havign a car in LA - unless you manage to find something at the bottom of the hill, you need a car. there is one 6th term trans dude from sweeden who drives a scooter though.

Last edited by Drunken Monkey; November 26th, 2005 at 02:28 AM.

Thanks
    don't listen to the counslers about transfer requirments ither, alot of stuff they told me would transfer... didn't....

2 years in PCC and only 18 of my units tranfered over.... what a waist of time if someone gave me a list..... of what actually transfered over.

darn I'm good at photoshop but I have never used illustrator... I guess I cant take the waiver.. If you cant take it do you still have to show up to wednesday's orientation?

God I'm so excited, finally a school where the art teachers know what they're talking about.

Yeah so far I haven't seen anyone rejected for illustration... but then again the illustration department gets the smallest amount of scholarships compaired to product and transportation.. (We don't have people like BMW funding students) So in a way the school makes all there money from us ?

As for transportation, I think even if you live at the bottom of the hill you'd still need a car... with all your art materials the last think you want to do is hike up the hill.

What is ID?

My Blog:

Thanks
    ID: industrial design. So ID classes would be classes related to the product design program.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PolinaH
    don't listen to the counslers about transfer requirments ither, alot of stuff they told me would transfer... didn't....

2 years in PCC and only 18 of my units tranfered over.... what a waist of time if someone gave me a list..... of what actually transfered over.
    wait, what do you mean they don't transfer over? I know my counselor gave me a sheet of paper listing all the classes that supposedly transfer along with the minimum grade required for that class. SO, they're all LIES? nooo T_T

Page 18 of 65 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast