Page 18 of 135 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 118 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    id say friends...
    friends are a huge part in keeping u sane and grounded
    that and remembering to eat well once in a while

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jellybean
    What are your tips/strategies for surviving Art Center in general? (Student government is asking online and at the newsletter.) I want to know!
    One word. Karaoke.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium Macaroni
    One word. Karaoke.
    Dear god no!

Thanks for the suggestion jellybean and will. I used to work at a pet clinic (veterinarian technician), which was a great job that kept you busy; however, there was no time to draw or anything. Although now I have this dream job (antique store manager) where I basically just draw or read all day. Naturally you have to keep an eye on the store but at most only 10 customers come in a day.

Although I don’t know about the studio extra idea will. Since I imagine you would need a car to get to the production shoot (and you certainly can’t pick the production dates to do the shoot) and being the dashing young fellow like myself, I’m not sure they would pick me up in the Ferrari I would most likely demand.

Thanks
    thanks so much jellybean!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WIll
    you may consider working as a Studio Extra at feature films and TV Shows. All you do is sit on your ass and keep quiet. When the director says "action" you get up and walk around or pantomime that your talking. You can bring whatever you want with you as long as your available to be on set all day.

For Non-union workers, you get minimum wage, but you get paid $54 regardless if you work 8 hours or 3 minutes. A lot of studio sets go into overtime (and double-overtime), 10-12 hours of sitting is about average.
    Huh, I thought I replied to this part. Anyway, I used to have a classmate who was a film major at Chapman. He'd be at shoots at 4:00 a.m. then head to our morning class afterwards. Ehh. That kind of schedule probably wouldn't work for most people but if you're super, there you go.

Thanks
    I know that more people are in the entering classes but it doesn't seem like many people get their first few terms waived. If people had prior degrees or extensive professional experience, I understand that but I don't know many people who were able to transfer many studio units. Anyone know how common that was in the past?

Thanks
    13th Week...OMG.

I just wanted to chime in with my experiences as a first term ACCD illustration student...

I've been very pleased with my decision to go to Art Center. Though tough (and lacking in the social department), it's worth it. I've seen my skills increase immensely, been able to play with different techniques and work on developing a personal style...and completely re-evaluate what it is I want to do when I'm out in 7 terms.

I did the crazy thing and loaded up on as many credits as possible. I mean, you're paying for 18, why not make the most of it? Granted, I may not be putting as much time into some of my classes as I should, but I'm getting what I WANT to get out of the classes (even the "bad" teachers like Strickland and Robbins).

As for classes...I wasn't too crazy about Strickland's "Fundementals of Drawing" class...but it's really grown on me. It is this class that I've discovered where I want to go with my art, and developed a style I'm very pleased about. I might be missing out on some of the more "fundemental" aspects, but I'm very passionate about my personal project, and I've learned a lot from Strickland. Too bad it took me 10 weeks to realize it! ;-)

Gary Meyer is simply amazing. Perspective is a bitch, but he's just simply amazing. I have no words.

Vince Robbins is a character...we don't get to create as cool a little book like Claypool's class, but for a design class, I suppose it could be worse. I'm rather indifferent about this class. I've injoyed working in gouche and texture stuff.

Digital Design with Dana Duncan-Seal is my favorite. She's great - creates these amazing packets of information for each lecture...as current as it can be for the current version of PhotoShop/Illustrator/etc. She's not too difficult or demanding, but I've learned a lot of content from her class. What is not in lecture can be found in her amazing packets of information. Be prepared to spit out a $40 movie poster though. I realize most other classes are expensive too...but it's just sad writing a check in one sitting for one project.

Intro to Modernism...I could do without. I realize it's importance, but I'm over it. Just a basic art history class...not much else can be said. It's not horrible.

Head Drawing with Kyle Kane. AMAZING. Favorite/best teacher = hardest, scariest, most demanding. You'll learn a lot if you're willing to put in the hours (something I've still got to work on). Emphasis is on structure and form (which is a nice compliment to Strickland's "mood painting") Everytime I get down at the end of the week about having no friends, so much work, blah blah blah, he boosts you up with his half-time-locker-room speeches. Fight tooth and nail for this class - it's worth it.

Hope this helps in choosing classes!

Thanks
    does anyone know a way to waive digital design without takign the waiver test?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jia
    does anyone know a way to waive digital design without takign the waiver test?
    Even if you wanted to transfer studio credit, I had to take the waiver test first.

Thanks
    i guess ill have to either waive it, take it, or postpone tkaing digital design untill i waive it
    so for psring i lucked out
    i have ross for design 2, luce for head painting, madden for analysis and schaefer for comp n painting
    would it be too much of a load if i took a materials class or history of illustration along with the above classes and perhaps a digital design class?
    that would be 18 units with some of the harder teachers - luce,madden, schaefer
    some people think im crazy
    advice please

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jia
    would it be too much of a load if i took a materials class or history of illustration along with the above classes and perhaps a digital design class?
    advice please
    Well, I don't know about the above (I bypassed Analysis and Comp/Ptg.). This term I had Materials with Nick Agid and Seth Kauffman. They were pretty cool and knowledgeable but someone complained about the laidback nature of the class to the foundation chairs so expectations were raised... most of the students were fine art majors, if that means anything. The class takes up extra time if you have to make up an assignment which wasn't good enough at crit as well as some model shop time + $ [ex. when you mess up on the jeltrate/silginate and have to buy another jar] for the final. I spent at least 13-15 hours working machinery or plastics outside class for the term, which is not so bad when I think of painting.

Thanks
    hey thats cool i had materials with nick this term too... well, before i ahem dropped out

maybe we were in same class

i personally liked the laidbackness of the class. not as if there aint enuff work w/ the other classes.

Thanks
    Yeah foo, we were in the same class. Does this mean you've decided not to come back?

Oh, I've been meaning to ask you... how I do get to be an orientation mentor?

Thanks
    its official..i survived first term

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jellybean
    Yeah foo, we were in the same class. Does this mean you've decided not to come back?

Oh, I've been meaning to ask you... how I do get to be an orientation mentor?
    haha, FOO! think i know who u are now. i'll be coming back but not till summer, which means ill be graduating sometimes next century

as for mentoring, obviously it helps to be incredibly stunning/charming/charismatic like myself but not completely necessary. talk to rebecca she's the one in charge of that. rebecca is the weird blonde counselor chick.

Page 18 of 135 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 118 ... LastLast