P.O.W.! Challenge 64 (A-B-C) The hunt for Teenage Angst
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 64 (A-B-C) The hunt for Teenage Angst

As of the morning I put this up, I am back from a crazy weekend and am very tired. Point out any mistakes I make and I will fix them later. But point them out quietly, as I have a headache. Shhhhhh....

In all P.O.W.! Challenges, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.

Topic 64A: The Wild Hunt (event/character)

Phantom hunters pour across the sky/land/sea in pursuit of their prey. Are they capricious spirits, looking to kill anyone they come across, spirits of vengeance or embodiments of nature's rage against humanity? You decide in your P.O.W.! about the Wild Hunt.

Topic 64B: Teenage Dreams (Theme/characters)

They're always more vivid. Create a story about a group of teenagers and their struggles between their awesome ambitions and the lousy real world. Nerds, jocks, bandmates or superhero sidekicks, your characters want more than the future seems to hold for them, and they're making a plan to get it!

Topic 64C: The protagonist/The Hunter

Design a character for one of the two challenges above. Either a disaffected teen or the Hunter of the Wild Hunt, your choice.

One or All-Deadline: Sunday, October 28th, 2012, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO pages to any practical maximum you wish. Previously, we encouraged standard comic book pages, but it's beyond time to broaden the challenge in P.O.W.! Your pages can be any format, but make sure they line up to the same specs for each page.

Standard comic specs are below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts.

REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least TWO pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

.................................................. .............................

Good luck.

To all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges, from the bottom of my heart I thank you. Cheers you guys. P.O.W.! People are the best people.

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by donalfall; September 23rd, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
    P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was disappointed about not being able to participate in the last challenge, but I am gonna start work on this right away, so I can put in more complete story this time...awesome fun topics btw..super excited

3. The Following User Says Thank You to monologish For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks monologish! (Although none of them are mine, they're all suggestions from the suggestion thread or PM's I get from awesome POW!'ers) I liked these topics. Glad to see you're aboard, your last one was awesome.

I think I'm going to dig into a version of The Wild Hunt. I'm starting to regain my sanity after the week/weekend that was.

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

5. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was working some on this during the down time... I think I misinterpreted the topic a bit. But I hope that's ok anyway. (Meant to be 4 pages all in all, but not sure if I'll have time to finish them all, depending on what happens to the deadline now...)

Attached Images Attached Images    
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks awesome, tobbA, I don't know what to do about the deadline myself. I mean, there was no reason people weren't working on their pieces while CA was down right?

lol. I'll probably make this a 2-monther, let me think about it (or everyone can chime in with their opinions).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Completely agree

Hey donalfall, would really love it if you could make this a 2-month thing, coz when CA went down, with no indication of when it will get back up, I kinda stopped working on the comic. I know it's my fault, but since you were asking for opinions, thought I'll try my luck.. In case you do decide to extend the deadline, I will be really grateful

@tobbA - I am so jealous you already have so much done, it looks really interesting, can't wait to find out more..

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    monologish Okay, let's make this a longer challenge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tobbA: great facial expressions and headpositions, nice linework, but the persons seem to be a bit stiff...
    donalfall: good to hear its gonna be longer, i've got something too, but time, its precious...
    But I think a whole month would be somewhat too long. Maybe two weeks, and then a short two week topic where you only have to draw a comicstrip with 4-5 pictures. It would give some variety to pow. But it's just an idea...
    Im gonna post some panels later...
    Cheers

"Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much donalfall..wil get to work immediately..though I don't mind ex-machina's suggestion on making it a two-week deadline as well..in case a month is too long with the same topic..either ways am gonna try and finish up asap

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page 1. I think its pretty self-explanatory, at least i hope...
    Sorry for the crappy quality, i will scan the pages when i'm finished!
    Cheerio

Name:  page1kl.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  499.2 KB

"Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, cool. Thanks for the opinions you guys. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... okay, the original deadline is this Sunday. If I can log into CA for more than 5 minutes without it kicking me by then, I'll make it two extra weeks and cook up a short one. Fun! If you don't hear from me, then it'll be the full month extra. Sorry about the vagueness, but it'll all be decided by Sunday!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Page 1 WIP

Ok guys I am attaching the very rough WIP of my first page. No text is added yet, and the theme is The Wild Hunt. I will be uploading WIP's of other pages, before I get to detailing these..hope this one turns out better than my last sad attempt :|

So lemme know if you guys have any comments on it so far..I haven't cleaned out the lines or anything yet...still rough..I probably need to add more pages to give a clearer idea I guess..anyways I will stop typing now...Name:  WildHunt_Pg1WIP1.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  290.7 KB

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those trees are gorgeous, Monologish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 2 WIP

Thank you so much donalfall ..those trees are going to be the end of my wrist though..but it's all worth it if it looks good in the end

Am attaching the second page WIP, all the detailing is remaining... I had a question to ask you guys..in this page, I am trying to show the girl being chased by something..so in the first and second panel I put in some motion lines, but the third panel seems kinda static..I want it to show the same motion as the second panel[which contains the mouth of the girl]...I want that static effect only in the last panel..coz she has stopped here...but the third panel has a background, so I don't know if I can use the same lines as the second...any suggestions??? Also, I would love to hear how I can represent this better..if I am succeeding in getting the point across...

Here goes...

Name:  WildHunt_Pg2WIP1.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  246.3 KB

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could blur the trees out with some speed lines, it would be fine. It would be cool if her pupil was hard to the left of her eyeball so it looks like she's looking behind her. I have pages to upload... better get on with it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all. Great topics! and still time to contribute, thanks for that Donalfall

Quick comments:

Tobba I like where it's going, it does look a little stiff in places, the anatomy of the woman mainly. Maybe have her more hunched over as she's running? Or when she's skidding to a halt have her grounded leg bent more and her outstretched hand could be grasping desperately onto the grass or a bush or something, just to add to the feeling of motion a bit more? I like the amount of detail and effort you've put into it so far, interested to read the rest of the story.

ex-machina cute, I like the concept very much, sweet

Monologish Nice start!! I like the trees too, and the 3rd panel of the second page, I think donalfalls suggestion about her looking behind her would work really well, and I would add motion lines too, or blur the trees (I keep forgetting to experiment with blurs and smudges) I reckon blurring the trees in the first panel would make it seem more convincing too.

Well, if I don't have time I'm going to do challenge C for the 'Teenage Dreams' one...hopefully I'll have time to flesh out the story I have in mind...though I really like the title 'The hunt for teenage angst' more, I had a strip in mind about teenagers rummaging through charity shops (thrift stores) to find the right kind of old clothing: "Do these worn out brown leather brogues make me look more angsty with or without the tassles?"

Attached Images Attached Images  

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Four of a proposed six page story. The pencil versions of these are in my sketchbook. I don't know if I'll get more in before the deadline.

Name:  hunt_01_is.png
Views: 376
Size:  302.9 KB

Name:  hunt_02_f.png
Views: 379
Size:  335.9 KB

Name:  hunt_03_is.png
Views: 376
Size:  257.4 KB

Name:  hunt04_f.png
Views: 286
Size:  248.8 KB

Name:  hunt_05_f.png
Views: 232
Size:  249.7 KB

Last edited by klortho; October 23rd, 2012 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Added another page.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to klortho For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you guys. Wow. I've been super busy but that's the way of life. I have pages done for the Wild Hunt... I think I might tackle Teenage Dreams as well if I have a spare few days, then upload.

Angel Intheuk: Mash those titles together all you want. That's how POW! rolls. I really like your teenage faces.
    klortho: Sheer genius.

Don't forget you guys, OCT 20th is International 24 hour comic day. We're running an event locally, 24 hours for 24 pages of comics. I recommend you do the same thing! It's always a fun time. I'll be posting more about our one after the fact.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also I just found the new Thanks button.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone got a finished set for me? Whew, it's been a long time, eh? I'll post mine within the next 24 hours or so - new topics up soon!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If the next topic is soon then I'm going to wait. Maybe this time I'll have enough motivation to start something.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bah, today is a Bank Holiday here and my own scanner has stopped working so I have no way to scan in anything (my local print shop is closed). I'll run a poll for this one on Wednesday, so you have that long to post stuff if you have it.

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh, weird. I made a poll thread for this on Wednesday and it vanished. Maybe I was tired and did something wrong? Hold on and I'll try again in a bit.

Members who have read this thread: 16