Thanks

Moleskine A3 Plain notebook or sketchbook...what to buy?!

Hey guys, theres a sale at a local art store here thats selling A3 moleskines for 35$ instead of the regular 55$, but once I was there i realized that there are two version of this A3, the plain notebook and sketchbook. I'm not really sure which one to buy, as apparently the page quality is the same(according to the art store manager...?)
    He also told me that the only difference is that the sketchbook pages are heavier, that that's it, but im SURE there must be some vital difference between both. The price tag is still steep anyhow, so I want to make sure I make the right choice; so I ask here, what are the differences between both???
    Thanks in advance-

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    That IS the difference. The pages in the sketchbook are heavier. Some people prefer one, some people prefer the other. It's up to the individual. Why don't you buy both?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyMan View Post
    He also told me that the only difference is that the sketchbook pages are heavier, that that's it, but im SURE there must be some vital difference between both.
    The sketchbook has different paper in it. If I recall the paper in the sketchbook paper is more yellow, heavy, and has a different texture. That's about it. I'm not sure what kind of vital difference you'd be looking for, it's all dead tree fibers.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    For what it' worth, A3 is a pretty unwieldy format for something you want to carry around with you and draw stuff on the fly in. Also, it's a a pain if you want to get the pages scanned. Can't say much about paper quality, you've got to feel which one apeals to you more. Anyway, that's my two cents, don't know if those things would bother you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Canson makes cheaper SBs with actual quality drawing paper-- much cheaper than Moleskine.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I just buy what's on sale!

Too many people buy nice sketchbooks that collect dust because they don't want to ruin them with mistake filled art.

That's what sketchbooks are for! Ruin them dammit, fill it up with stuff and draw!

Got sketchbooks with recycled paper, nice paper, stupid paper. I am working on filling them up so I can get better. I stopped worrying about "oh but I want nice sketches" good luck with that until you practice a ton, and even then...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well after the first two posts I bought the sketchbook edition, they got back to me and the plain notebook edition's pages are not good for shading, as apparently the shading shows on the pages on the back.

I have a ton of sketchbooks racked up in here, mostly I was looking for the moleskine because of that particular smooth texture it has that Ive taken a liking to from my experience with the notebook version. I'm also ruining this sketchbook and filling the shit out of it with sketches, but im trying out all types of pencil shading techniques lately, and I find moleskines being great for hard pencils!