Need advice for improve a demon !
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need advice for improve a demon !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need advice for improve a demon !

Hi everybody! Here is a drawing i finished few month ago but there are many things that's wrong :/ Cape, position, landscape, almost all...
    Also he had a sword in the beginning, maybe I have to redraw this?

I hope someone can give me his opinion about it .
    Thanks a lot !

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by HabchiYoussef; August 25th, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thumbnails,did you do any?

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What's that stuff all over his skin?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here when I tried with the sword

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    What's that stuff all over his skin?
    I tried to make a kind of gold excrescence...

Last edited by HabchiYoussef; August 25th, 2012 at 07:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimatum View Post
    Thumbnails,did you do any?
    What do you mean? I'm not sur of what you say...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started to rebuild it, nobody can give me his opinion? Especially in terms of framing that I hesitate, I think there are problems of composition...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HabchiYoussef View Post
    I started to rebuild it, nobody can give me his opinion? Especially in terms of framing that I hesitate, I think there are problems of composition...
    There's nothing wrong with static compositions, especially when it's a standing portrait of someone doing nothing. I think the additions you made to the cape are very strong. When you make it asymmetrical, you've gotta do it for some reason. Right now, it feels forced only because the figure is just standing. If there was some hint of motion, or maybe his cape is flying more toward the upper right corner of the comp.

Some things to think about:
    +The volcanoes in the background are obviously exploding and producing major amounts of light. All of that light is only producing really soft highlights onto the figure. I would make the rim light very harsh, and therefore the cast shadows much harsher (especially on the cape).
    +The comp with the sword seems much stronger. I'd definitely add that back in but refine the sword more and make it shiny.

This is great foundation for your painting though. Love how the figure was rendered, especially those hands.

Hope this either fuels your ideas, or makes you more confident in what you've chosen!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nutella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The newest version is more interesting than the previous step in my opinion. Your changing of fairly key elements of the picture (removing the sword, extending the canvas and cape) is indicative of a larger problem though: not enough planning before the rendering.

Did you make thumbnails for this picture beforehand? All the main elements should exist in the simple value study following the thumb. This makes sure that everything works before you start rendering.

If you're serious about this piece, the easiest way to do it will be to start over. I'll list some of the problems I see here, that can be better avoided next time:

-Anatomy: arms look a little wonky. Little to no structure to the torso and lower body. Get a ref for the pose (take a picture of yourself or use a large mirror). The pose should also indicate what he's doing. Removing the sword left him with an arm that should be holding a sword, but is doing nothing right now.

-Volcano: Needs reference. No way around that. The value of the lava core is distractingly high as well.

-Value range: Everything is super dark with super bright details (except for the cape). You should have large areas dedicated to value ranges, and everything should be readable from afar. If you turn this image grayscale and shrink it down, how well does everything read? You can't have the character, ground, and sky the same value. Check out the link in my sig on value massing for more on that.

-Composition: Though this relates to my previous point, it needs saying here as well. It should be planned in the thumbnail stages. By simply extending the canvas to the right, the character feels crowded on the left (his facing the outside of the canvas doesn't help).

In short, plan more. Show us early stages of the piece so that we can help fix problems before you invest time in rendering.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    None of the body parts relate to the others. Draw the figure underneath the cape.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutella View Post
    There's nothing wrong with static compositions, especially when it's a standing portrait of someone doing nothing. I think the additions you made to the cape are very strong. When you make it asymmetrical, you've gotta do it for some reason. Right now, it feels forced only because the figure is just standing. If there was some hint of motion, or maybe his cape is flying more toward the upper right corner of the comp.

Some things to think about:
    +The volcanoes in the background are obviously exploding and producing major amounts of light. All of that light is only producing really soft highlights onto the figure. I would make the rim light very harsh, and therefore the cast shadows much harsher (especially on the cape).
    +The comp with the sword seems much stronger. I'd definitely add that back in but refine the sword more and make it shiny.

This is great foundation for your painting though. Love how the figure was rendered, especially those hands.

Hope this either fuels your ideas, or makes you more confident in what you've chosen!
    Thank you for giving me your opinion and your advice !
    For the stuff on the cape I want to do a effect that move on their own, like bad energy, it is a demon so I do not want everything to be logical...
    Thank you for your observation I will take into account, mainly for light and shadow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wah thanks a lot Exokinase, great critic !
    The last pictures are really in progress, I didn't really applied on rendering but it's true that I didn't really know this technique to work in thumbnail, I'm a beginner on several aspects...
    You think I should delete the file and start from zero, so there is nothing good?
    Maybe I should do him in action? Your link doesn't work but thank you very much for your critique that will help me a lot, I think I have many things to change again!

Last edited by HabchiYoussef; August 25th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    None of the body parts relate to the others. Draw the figure underneath the cape.
    Hard ! :/
    What shocked you the most?
    I know that the bust and arms must be more worked...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexokinase View Post
    The newest version is more interesting than the previous step in my opinion.
    You mean the large one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HabchiYoussef View Post
    You mean the large one?
    Yes. The second image in post #7 is more interesting than the first. Partly because it doesn't feel as crowded and the eyes have room to wander around. The first image feels a little cramped with the figure taking up most the canvas while having action occurring in the background (the volcano erupting).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some news, I rebuild almost everything except the face, what do you think of values ​​and composition, it's very in progress, there will gargoyles around...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw his whole body without the cape and shield in the way first. Get all the proportions right, then add them back in. With the current position of his shield, I'm not too sure where his right arm is supposed to go. You need to draw in that entire left arm as well, because right now it looks like you have a floating hand that's touching his chest, instead of an arm that's pointed towards us.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexokinase View Post
    Draw his whole body without the cape and shield in the way first. Get all the proportions right, then add them back in. With the current position of his shield, I'm not too sure where his right arm is supposed to go. You need to draw in that entire left arm as well, because right now it looks like you have a floating hand that's touching his chest, instead of an arm that's pointed towards us.
    Thanks Exaokinase, I'll change his position that doesn't inspire me, I will redraw the character fully and without cape early as you indicate. I'll repost when I have advanced!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sword hand is just in such an awkward spot

25. The Following User Says Thank You to mRomano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mRomano View Post
    That sword hand is just in such an awkward spot
    Yeah it's look like it came from his chest... I'll change his position but I struggle to find a good position... I search a imposing position

Last edited by HabchiYoussef; August 28th, 2012 at 05:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Start on rendering

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.