Newbie WIP looking for painting techniques
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Newbie WIP looking for painting techniques

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Newbie WIP looking for painting techniques

Hello. I'm a newcomer to the digital painting world. I've tried my hand at photoshop twice now, doing cell shading. This third time now- I did digital painting(CS5). Unfortunately I only know how to select stuff, color picker/colors, layering and using the mixer brush for painting. (all as used in pic below) There is some layer opacity adjustment and some masking was tried but I still can't get that part. Oh and I do know how to change the brush and its size. Also, I know some proportions need to be adjusted like the shoulder and knees; as well there is supposed to be all base colors and a shadow. All will be fixed. Currently I'm working on the pants, that should be colored like the gloves. Nothing is referenced, all freestyle.

In short, I want to know how to add to this. To improve going about painting it. Its not a fullwork, just a character sheet. I just sorta jumped in.

What I know I need to know:
    *painting using layered opacity of colors, don't mix/blend. (I have just set my pen to be pressure sensitive, but the current work is without it.)
    *how to apply textures... subtly- ie clothes, skin, etc
    *how to mask properly
    *what layer options like 'multiply' or 'screen' do

AND whatever else you know, that I don't. :d (that a beginner can do?) I don't know 'em so I can't name 'em! Xd

I have a list of tutorials I have to watch to improve in painting, learn basics and whatnot. For now, I just want some specific techniques to apply so I can finish up this piece, not be embarrassed and start my digital painting training.

Can anyone help me please? It would be much appreciated

Name:  Camille color WIP1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  486.2 KB

Last edited by kabutali; August 24th, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest you look up some tutorials on YouTube, Google.
    Screen makes black transparent and multiply makes white transparent.
    The mask is a really good tool. One example u should try to understand it is, try draw red or any color you want on the canvas and then add the mask layer. Now black hides or takes away the red and white adds or let's the red reappear. If you press alt click on the mask then you will probably understand it even better. It's very helpful once you get it.

Justin Green.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for replying!!!

Screen makes black transparent and multiply makes white transparent.
    its sounds so simple, but how can that be applied? Why make B&W transparent? Or does it go into hues of colors, ie the darker the color(on screen mode) the more transparent?

The mask is a really good tool. One example u should try to understand it is, try draw red or any color you want on the canvas and then add the mask layer. Now black hides or takes away the red and white adds or let's the red reappear. If you press alt click on the mask then you will probably understand it even better. It's very helpful once you get it.
    I know that part sorta, the BW reversing for paint/erase mask. It setting up the mask to the layer I have issues with. So far I always, by magic, manage to use a 'channel' to copy the mask I made for whatever layer.. or save that mask for copying.(anything else about channels I do not know) Although I make everything on its own layer so usually I can also just right click, and select pixels. Make a mask from that or just work within the selection.

Is there anything specific you would recommend to do to this piece?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I understand you right u don't know where to locate the mask in Photoshop?

The mask tool is on the bottom right corner (third from left side )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm... I think it's important to note that even in digital painting you'll need to master the basics.

Most prudently, I'm seeing that you are shading the fold-shadows and base-shadows of the shape with the same contrast. Try making the base-shadow overal a little darker.
    On top of that, see if you can get the colours a tiny bit less saturated. You can do this by desaturating, but you can also do this by mixing in a light blue into the highlights and mising some dark red/green/gray into the blue shadows.

As for blending modes... Duplicate the layer and then try all sorts of blending modes out. Multiply is well liked because it approximates how overlaying paint-colours in real life works. Colour is liked because it allows the user to make a black and white underpainting, making sure the values are correct. With a layer set to colour/hue you can paint in colours into the black and white. Afterwards, the two layers are often combined and the artist polishes the piece.
    But really, they're all pretty useful, if you can find a use for them.

Masks are a little tricky, and I suggest you look into tutorials. Especially the way PS handles it is confusing, but it's really powerful.

As for opacity-based layered painting:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.