Sketchbook: A n00b's journey to the art of painting/drawing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink A n00b's journey to the art of painting/drawing

Hello artists! I'm David, 17yo photographer, musician and programmer from Croatia. Around the web I'm known as Fricetix.
    Sorry for the wall of text below, it's a story how I got into the artistic life. You can skip it if you want.

This thread will be my road to become a decent concept artist in gaming/movie industry. (Environments and characters mostly)

I got introduced to art world way back when I was like 12 or something. I saw some sick fantasy paintings and I wanted to be able to make such stuff but my passion quickly died. I started to draw but I wasn't motivated enough so I practiced pretty rarely. Fast forward to 2011 (16yo), I got my first camera and fell in love with photography. Over the time I took photos every day and spent every second of my time getting books and studying the actual art of photography, like camera technical stuff, composition, light, etc. I can pretty much say I mastered photography (some ppl say it's impossible to master any art form, but I think it is and I'm pretty close) and if you want you can check out my current portfolio here:
    http://Fricetix.deviantArt.com/gallery
    This is also where I'll post my finished paintings/drawings when I get better.

Anyways, looking for some used film cameras, I found an ad for a Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium size tablet. I immediately called the dude and my tablet arrived few days after (a month ago). I got hooked! It was epic feeling to draw on it

So here I am learning from every possible source I can get my hands on
    I got a few books on drawing and this guy helped me a ton with his epic videos: MoatDD on YT

Let's start with art!

And here is a peach on a chair lit by a single lamp:
    Name:  23082012-peach.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  37.1 KB
    Ignore the green background.

I'll usually draw/paint every day (both digital and with pencils) so I believe I'll update this thread every day but I'll do it at least every two days.

So, thanks for reading and enjoy your day.
    Peace, David

Last edited by Fricetix; August 28th, 2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: fixin' some stuff
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, here I play with perspective, shadows and connecting ellipses - Done in 1h 15min
    Name:  24082012----excercises.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  145.6 KB

Two cubes in 2-point perspective. I'm not sure this is correct, maybe distance between vanishing points of one cube on the horizon should be equal to distance between vanishing points of the other cube, can someone help?
    Name:  24082012-two-cubes-+-shadow-from-sun-in-2p-persp.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  43.5 KB

One more note, all these lines and shadings are freehand drawn, no rulers, line tools or anything like that. I'd only cheat myself if I helped myself.

Last edited by Fricetix; August 24th, 2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: added note

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Buddy!

You're doing well with those foundation studies, just try to use harder brushes, maybe it will help you not to get those muddy vules. Anyways, just keep doing it, try to finish your books and post the studies you got from them here. Also, Mark Chong is a great guy, i always like his stuff. Looking foward to see more from you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Caio Chagas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG, I haven't drawn anything yesterday and today I just did this quickly and I know I can't focus really on drawing, it just kills me that I wanna do it, but I really don't do it. I know I should be drawing all the time but... And I really need to practice with real pencils, I can't draw a proper circle or ellipse, it's so damn hard I can paint with tablet without any problems, but drawing circles - no way. I need to learn them properly with pencil.
    OK, so these are some random ugly exercises I have done. I should really try to follow the books I have.

Name:  26082012-excercises.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  239.6 KB

I know it sucks. Next post will be either a painting or a pencil sketch.
    See ya..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG, so I started watching the Vilppu's videos and after I watched the Gesture video (the 1st one) I just kinda sat down and imagined this one girl like in this kinda 'cool' pose. I just kinda felt the pose as Vilppu explained (because it was like 3am and I really think about life, love, the world around me and just that kinda stuff during the nighttime - I mean--I'm alone in my room, it's dark, my favorite songs are blowing my ears and - I kinda get emotional lol)

Now, please note:: I have NEVER EVER EVER EVEEEER drawn a figure that looks better than an average Joe's stick figure so... I WAS BLOWN AWAY, I WAS F***IN' FROZEN WHEN I SAW WHAT I JUST DID

And this is what I did:
    Name:  DSCF4703.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  290.4 KB

Now, technically, this is shit. Torso is f***ed up, hips are a little weird, etc.....
    To me, this was and EPIC LEAP from zero to beginner. This is like, STRAIGHT from a damn stick figure that I could do 10min earlier to THIS.. I'm amazed.

So, if anyone says it's shitty --- First of all:: I'm still a noob
    A NOOB. Take any master painter for example. Picasso was a noob once. EVERYBODY IS when he/she starts from zero! But he worked and mastered it.
    So, THIS is my 'noob time', OK?

Anyways, thanks for reading.. Will put some more stuff later..
    Bye, David.

NOTE: sorry for the dirty paper, I was too excited, just grabbed a flash and a camera and took the shot

Last edited by Fricetix; August 28th, 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added a note

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man nice achievement, now that you feel at least a little confident in the figure, maybe it's time that you start to study anatomy and start doing figure studies. This website it great for figure drawing: http://lovecastle.org/draw/. It throws up a picture and changes it at a time interval of your choice, anyway good luck and keep it up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychobuddy For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.